Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac G6 Hardtop Convertible

Comments

• biancarbiancar Posts: 913
    What is sticker for these cars, something in the high 20's?
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 11,702
    Just shy of $30k for the base, a fully equipted one maybe mid 30's plus. I think the salesman said one set up like the prototype would be around $35k.

The sign said "No shoes, no shirt, no service", it didn't say anything about no pants.

• that may be what the dealer says, give the car a bit of time. The official pricing is like 27K for the GT and 29K for the GTP. Im sure w/options it could go beyond 30K but honestly with the GTP you should get just about everything for under 30K.

What a deal :)
    According to Pontiacs website the GT starts at $28,490 the GTP starts at $29,990 (add destination charges and your over $30K).

The sign said "No shoes, no shirt, no service", it didn't say anything about no pants.

• atljcatljc Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if the G6 convertible has roll hoops or roll bars? The dealership could only explain that the windshield was the rollover protection, but what about passengers in the back seat?
  • Ummmnnn... it's a convertible, back seat passenger safety is going to be marginal at best in any droptop with the top down. AT least with the G6 the hardtop(when up) will give rear seat passengers much more safety then a typical soft top.
  • atljcatljc Posts: 2
    I can appreciate your comment. The "Ummm" was unnecessary. I'm not an idiot, so you can save that for someone who will listen.

German auto-makers include pop-up rollover protection devices, so my question was simple, will the Pontiac do so also?

I guess the answer is "Umm no".

Umm, thanks.

Have a umm, great umm day Mr. Umm Rude.
  • At that price point the competition is the Solara ($30,210) and Sebring ($28,765). I wish them luck.
    Seeing the Pontiac isn't a ragtop I think they will do very well.

• martymartmartymart Posts: 23
    I have noticed several units on the road as well as a demo version at the ncaa tourny games I attended. We did recieve our display items for our showroom yesterday and we are anticipating the arrival. They should do well in my market due to the low availabilty of the Solstice. It should peak interest in the four seat, hard top.... They are producing them (atleast that is what my informat told me).

Does anyone here have one ordered yet?
  • dicky4dicky4 Posts: 3
    I got a call from my dealer and he said they expect their G6 GTP convertible to arrive in about 3 weeks. He will call when they get the invoice. It comes just before the car is delivered. I have first chance to buy it if I like it.
  • I went to my dealer last Wednesday to see if I could order the GTP. He told me he could order the GT and it has a build date of 4/9/06 but that he could not order the GTP yet. He even called GM right while I was sitting there to find out if they had a date when they could place an order for the GTP and they said they did not have a date yet - that he should call back each week to get an update.

I'll keep trying!
  • machinamachina Posts: 2
    Silver GTP model was on display. Marketing guys were demonstrating the top going up and down. Very cool. Looked very good with top up and down. Plenty of headroom with top up. Backseat room good as well. Rear visibility was good with top up. Seemed better than the normal view out the back of the coupe. Almost no storage space in trunk with top down. Mechanicals of top seemed to work fine. Marketing guys said Pontiac is now taking orders for July delivery. Pretty impressive. Anybody want to buy my GTP in July so I can get the convertible instead?
  • dicky4dicky4 Posts: 3
    I have not seen a G6 and was wondering if the seam has a black rubber seal that is noticeable when the top is up? Also, has anyone compared the G6 to the VW Eos? The discussion site on Edmund's has a lot of postings and is talking about a starting price under $30,000.
  • minnguy34minnguy34 Posts: 11
    The GMfleet.com site has information on the 2007 G6's. Under New for 2007, it says: Deletions: 2ZM67 GTP Convertible model. You can still get the 3.9 engine, but as an option for the GT convertible. I wonder if that will make 2006 G6 GTP convertibles more collectable. The GTP will still be available as a coupe or sedan. A 6 speed automatic is now standard on the GTP coupe and GTP sedan along with a new 3.6 liter engine. But that transmission/engine option is not available on the convertible.
  • machinamachina Posts: 2
    I don't get it. Why would Pontiac sell the highest end version of the car -- the hard top convertible -- but not sell it as at GTP? Only as a GT. Do I have this right? Seems like odd marketing to me. I have a 2006 GTP sedan and tried to buy the top of the line.
  • bobinnjbobinnj Posts: 22
    FYI - just put in an order for the '06 GTP convertible. Dealers are taking orders. The post about discontinuation of GTP for '07 is interesting. So maybe I'll have a collector's item? Or maybe they'll send the '07 GT instead? From past experience, it takes 6- 8 weeks for delivery. So I would expect late June- early July if you order now.
  • beachlifebeachlife Posts: 11
    I too ordered a GTP convertible, the first week of April. The dealer was not interested in coming to terms on price so I'm not sure if I will by it or not. Paid my $1,000.00 refundable deposit and will decide when it gets here. After I have seen it, driven it ( if they let me) and they decide what they intend to charge for it. Silver with the dark interior GTP seats, 6 disk changer, shiney wheels,auto tran, remote start and all. Can't remember the name of the option package or interior color name at the moment. It sounds nice, but I won't pay sticker or above for a car. Never have, never will. I have not dealt with this dealership befor so even though I told them that, we'll see. Perhaps they just wanted the order so they could get one in early. Anyway, If they up the price beyound what I see edmunds suggest I'll walk and give them time to come down a little. Ford did a good job of getting a lot of mustangs to market early and made it easy to get a "deal" early on. I think the G6 production numbers are expected to be much higher than the solstice numbers. That should help with the price. Too bad you can't track these orders on the net. PS, The dealership had an alocation and the order was acepted immediately.
    OK on ordering the GTP. I have a feeling they'll be selling for MSRP, at least early on, especially if the GTP is discontinued for '07. Hopefully, the dealers won't try to charge over that, but I doubt you're going to get them to cut sticker for a mid-summer delivery. I recall when the GTO's were first announced, they were selling for sticker, and possibly more. Since they flopped, seems like they're cutting them to the bone now. My dealer said he got the inbound shipment notice a couple weeks ago for his first G6 convert., so it should come in shortly and I'll test drive it. If I don't like it I'll back out too, but I'm hoping it will be as good as it's being cracked up to be. My concern is head room, since I sat in a G6 coupe with sunroof and my head hit the liner (I'm 6'0"). Since there's no sunroof in the convert, I'm hoping the head room will be better. Salesman said the one he ordered for me will be the only other one he's allotted until '07 (he's a small Pontiac dealer and has several other brand lines). Hopefully, they'll be building these in greater numbers than the Solstice. I still don't understand the reason for cutting the GTP from the G6 convert. line for '07 since this would be the one favored by enthusiasts and help GM's lousy sales figures. Stupid decision by Pontiac if you ask me, but guess they have their reasons ($$ savings?).
  • burghburgh Posts: 17
    I have inspected both. I have driven the C70 and I turned down an offer to drive the G6 Hardtop. There is no comparison or competition between these two cars. I have put a deposit down for a C70 to be delivered by July 31st. If you are looking for a hardtop convertible and you can afford the C70 then do not even think about the G6 hardtop. On the other hand, if you cannot afford the C70, then I would suggest waiting to see what the VW Eos has to offer. I believe that Pontiac did not do there homework on this car.

G6 Hardtop negatives in comparison with the C70:
    - Seatbelt design always crosses the path of entry/exit
    from the back seats
    - Trunk has no space (will not even open) when the roof is
    down
    - Trunk has serious space limitations with the roof up.
    - No roll bars to protect the back seat occupants
    - There are many more creature comforts in the C70 but all
    of those are personal preferences and not definitive
    negative facts
    It is probably just me, but I have trouble using that word in the same sentence as Volvo. I just felt like the G6 hardtop should be a little bit more fun to drive than the C70. I do agree roll bars and trunk or other storage space are nice to have and worth more, but do I like the car enough to pay another 10 grand? It probably just has something to do with an old 69 Lemans convertible I once had. I always thought Turbos were an added maint expense. Is this still the case? I really liked a Honda Del Sol I had. Great trunk space and fun to drive but when my daughter totaled it (No injures) I did not care for the S2000. I sort of think fun cars should either be really really expensive or really really inexpensive and it is nice to be in this country and have all of these choices. Just my opinion.
    Yes - for $10-15K more, I'd expect the C70 to be a lot more car than the G6. Unfortunately, after test driving a new C70 at the dealer last week, I wasn't that impressed. The 5 cyl. turbo didn't seem to be all that powerful off the line and the suspension was tight, giving a bumpy ride on the lousy roads around here (it's basically an S40 with the foldable hard top). I was surprised it only had tilt steering wheel without telescope - at that price point, I'd expect power tilt/telescope. As far as trunk space in C70 - the salesman opened it up with the top stored and there ain't a whole lot of space in there either (maybe a golf bag or a couple small suitcases, carry ons. This is NOT a large coupe (basically an S40 with a foldable hard top). You can put more in trunk with top closed, but then you can't open the top. Granted - Volvo puts a lot of $$ factor in their safety equipment, but if I'm going to pay that much more over the G6, I'd want a bit more in the power and ride dept (read "fun factor"). Turbos definitely used to be more expensive to maintain, requiring more frequent oil changes (every 1500 mi), higher repair bills, etc. (remember going thru that when I was thinking about buying a 300ZX Turbo back in the 80's). I don't think this is still the case, but if I had to choose a turbo or supercharger over N.A., I'd go with the N.A. engine, to keep repair costs down. What I do know is that Volvos, as with most foreign cars, can be very expensive to repair, and their reliability is not their strong suit (as relayed to me by several Volvo owners over the years). Pontiacs aren't known for their reliability either, but I can get a Pontiac fixed a lot cheaper and faster than a Volvo. If the G6 provides a decent ride, interior room/comfort and off the line power, it is worth the price. For a lot of convertible buyers including me, It's going to be mostly a weekend/cruising car so the issues of trunk space, rear seat convenience, etc.,are not big factors for me. (I was disappointed in lack of OnStar though. Surprised they couldn't figure out how to wire that thing in but maybe the top had something to do with it. Oh well - at least it offers Satellite radio.
  • martymartmartymart Posts: 23
    We have sold the first G6 convertible that came in... It did sell at GMS, no markup at our dealership. It did look sharp with the black on black. The top took a couple minutes to figure out because of the pull-shade that must be locked in place inside the trunk. First impression is good.
  • alp8alp8 Posts: 656
    I definiteluy plan to cross-shop the G6 and the C70. I doubt that G6 will have any real "driving" advantages over the Volvo. It's funny to hear people talk about issues such as this, while they are also complaining about gas prices. There is no reason anyone needs a sub-7-second 0-60 time. But I dont' begrudge that to anyone. But I don't feel like hearing that same guy complain about gas prices. I guarantee you that guy isn't driving 60 mph on the freeway.

I have nothing againt Pontiac, and I would really like to buy American. I am not one of these guys who is anti-GM. GM and the UAW have helped build the middle class in the U.S. and I will reward them for that if the product is right.

I did read that the Pontiac roof (Karmann) was not passing the 10,000 openings test, but I have not read anything about that lately. Wondering what the news is.

I think stability control is more valuable of a safety feature than roll bars. You get more in the Volvo. The question is do you want those items. If not, the Pontiac sill probably be a great car. And hopefully none of us ever gets to experience that "satisfied" feeling that comes after an incident so you can realize that the stability control was a good purchase, if you get my drift.
  • shirleybbshirleybb Posts: 3
    Hi, saw the new G6 GT at a dealer last week. Had a $31,100 sticker price but dealer was asking $42,000 - a $10,000 market adjustment for this car! Went to another dealer - they had sold the G6 GTP convertible they had in 15 minutes - had a sticker of $31,500 sold it for $38,000. He also told me they were only alloted 5 G6 convertibles for all of 2006 and 2007 and the one was already gone. This car is definitely not worth $40,000. I'd suggest waiting to see the Volvo or Volkswagon.
    $42,000

silly
    Can't blame the dealer for wanting to get all they can, but I'm certain the price won't stay up. Too many alternatives. Hard top is nice, but hey I can get a Lexus or Mercedes or Volvo or VW or whatever. Got a call last Friday, the dealer had received an invoice on the G6-GTP Convt I ordered so I guess we'll find out for sure in a couple more weeks. Not a new car, but a two year old Lexus SC430 is a very nice car and they are fairly easy to find. I'm not after the G6 as a primary auto, just liked the hardtop concept. If it wasn't for the hard top, why wouldn't I go for a loaded Mustang in the low Pontiac price range. I'm sorry but you can buy 6cy G6's in the low low 20's. I guess I'm just too practical
    if the convertible is a "third-car" - ie not the car you commute in - then why buy a 4-seater? and why not buy that slightly-loved sc430 or even a Boxster or Z3?

the G6 is OK at 25 or so, but much more than that is just silly

maybe people think they will be collectibles

those people should stick to happy meals
  • y2chucky2chuck Posts: 1
    just came back from test driving a GT convertible. I was really impressed with it.

The model I tested was black on black leather, sport package, XM, upgraded alloy's.

It feels like a heavy car, but has a great road feel and is really quiet on the highway with the top up. It's really solid with the top down as well and the seats are great. It's going for 39K CDN which is a bit more than I want to spend, but it's a gorgeous car and I liked it much more than the Mustang.
    The G6 will be a third car, just we like to take the dog along sometimes. (Mini schnauzer does not know she is a dog.) The back seat also makes up for lack of trunk space in most two seater's. I also like the hard top concept because it should provide for a quieter ride when the top is up. OK, so tell me, if I drive off the lot in May in an 06 won't I have a year old car in August? I usually buy cars at the end of the calender year or the end of the model year because I find more flexibility in dealer prices. I feel good if the car has kept half or more of it's purchase price at the end of three years. Can you imagine an 2006-G6 being worth 20-24,000 in 2009? GM did a lot of research to price this car. I think they are right on and after the initial frenzies that is where they will be. The car did get me to visit their show room. I have not in a long time. Now we will find out if the dealer ever wants me to come back. We have two cars, I buy a car about every 2 or 3 years and of course friends and family always ask for recommendations.