Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac G6 Hardtop Convertible

Comments

• sigt1sigt1 Posts: 66
    anyone know if the GT will come w/o the woodtrim; is woodtrim only available on GTP? I hope so! Anyword on the realiablity of the hardtop and if they are going to follow the german companies quality standards?
  • Are dealers taking orders for this car? I went to a local dealer and they told me it wasn't expected until "later this year" - should I find another dealer? Also do you have any idea what the warranty on the top mechanism will be?
  • biancarbiancar Posts: 913
    ...is what I was told at the recent Washington, D.C. car show too. When I pushed a little, he said probably September.

When I smiled and said September didn't seem like a good time to introduce a convertible, he laughed and said, "Well, that's when we always introduce new models.'

Okey-dokey. The "way they've always done it" seems to reign supreme.

I doubt you'd get any better answer from another dealer this early in the year. Try again in May, perhaps.
  • Just found out today there is ANOTHER DELAY in producing the G6 hard-top convertible. Production pushed back another month or two...until March or April.

It looks like a nice car but I am leasing a different one now as my current lease is up in March. I will also see if there are any first year model kinks they have to work out on the G6.
  • dicky4dicky4 Posts: 3
    On 3/1/06 I visited my local Pontiac Dealer and he gave me a copy of a vehicle order for a 2006 G6 convertible GTP due later this month. He will call when it comes in.
  • mhs7386mhs7386 Posts: 33
    You won't get your car until late April at the earliest, and more likely sometime in May if you're lucky. I have talked to a lot of people inside Pontiac, forget what your salesman tells you. It does look like a nice vehicle if you are not in a rush, though. Good luck.
  • They'll probably hit the dealers' lots just in time for Winter.
  • martymartmartymart Posts: 23
    I have been hearing that the top is having problems when it comes against the top of the windshield. The plant is within 30 minutes of my dealership and we have a lot of workers in and out of here. We have ordered our first GTP, but we do not have any indication of when we will have it. In December, a line worker told me that they were making changes to have every 4th car be a convertible.

I hope they hurry up with this drop top, the introduction of the Solstice was just in time for the snow to fly. Hopefully people in this area will be able to enjoy their convertibles when it is above 50 degrees.
  • mhs7386mhs7386 Posts: 33
    Thanks for the information, martymart. What a bummer. I could wait until late April at the latest, but to due my current lease expiring, no longer than that. So it appears the G6 convertible won't be my next car. You seem to have good "inside info."
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 11,563
    A Pontiac dealer in Naperville, IL had a prototype out front on loan from Pontiac. Car looks sharp, got to sit in it and feel it out. Comfortable seats interior looks nice. Wife wants it. Salesman said that they should be getting them in around June 1st. He also said they are selling them at sticker (said some dealers may be selling for over sticker) and they have already taken deposits for four.

There are three types of people in this world. Those who are good at math and those who are not.

• biancarbiancar Posts: 913
    What is sticker for these cars, something in the high 20's?
    Just shy of $30k for the base, a fully equipted one maybe mid 30's plus. I think the salesman said one set up like the prototype would be around $35k.

There are three types of people in this world. Those who are good at math and those who are not.

• that may be what the dealer says, give the car a bit of time. The official pricing is like 27K for the GT and 29K for the GTP. Im sure w/options it could go beyond 30K but honestly with the GTP you should get just about everything for under 30K.

What a deal :)
    According to Pontiacs website the GT starts at $28,490 the GTP starts at $29,990 (add destination charges and your over $30K).

• atljcatljc Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if the G6 convertible has roll hoops or roll bars? The dealership could only explain that the windshield was the rollover protection, but what about passengers in the back seat?
  • Ummmnnn... it's a convertible, back seat passenger safety is going to be marginal at best in any droptop with the top down. AT least with the G6 the hardtop(when up) will give rear seat passengers much more safety then a typical soft top.
  • atljcatljc Posts: 2
    I can appreciate your comment. The "Ummm" was unnecessary. I'm not an idiot, so you can save that for someone who will listen.

German auto-makers include pop-up rollover protection devices, so my question was simple, will the Pontiac do so also?

I guess the answer is "Umm no".

Umm, thanks.

Have a umm, great umm day Mr. Umm Rude.
  • At that price point the competition is the Solara ($30,210) and Sebring ($28,765). I wish them luck.
    Seeing the Pontiac isn't a ragtop I think they will do very well.

• martymartmartymart Posts: 23
    I have noticed several units on the road as well as a demo version at the ncaa tourny games I attended. We did recieve our display items for our showroom yesterday and we are anticipating the arrival. They should do well in my market due to the low availabilty of the Solstice. It should peak interest in the four seat, hard top.... They are producing them (atleast that is what my informat told me).

Does anyone here have one ordered yet?