Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac G6 Hardtop Convertible

Comments

• I wasn't able to find out which pins they had replaced. The original owner told me that they were not sure and I can't tell by looking at them. The original dealer had the car for almost the first year as his personal car he kept in Florida then had the MSO transferred to the selling dealer when the owner bought it so there really isn't much history on the first 4K miles of the car. The only issue we have with it is I didn't know about the crazy low gear ratio in the transaxle and the fuel milage stinks I don't know of anything to do to make it better got any ideas?
  • billdamanbilldaman Posts: 37
    John,

As a former owner of a 2007 G6 and former GM engineer, when the 3 /36 warranty is expired on this vehicle you do not want this type of vehicle as your first car unless you have deep pockets. The vehicle is beautiful for the price, handles like a piece of junk and is ful of roof and door creaks and mechanical/electrical issues that need to be repaired by bubble gum fixes at the dealer. The Monsoon sound System is a POS.

The G6 GT with the "lamella" multipanel roof would be a better choice, the body is significantly stiffer and the roof mechanism is problem free.

If you want a vehicle that will hold its value throughout the ownership cycle look for a 5 year old BMW. You will still have the repair cost issues but the soft top is a lot less complex.

Dont let anyone on this site tell you the G6 convertible is a great trouble free vehicle. They are either dillusional, or trying to keep the resale vale of their cars up by drinking the koolaid that this is the best vehicle they ever owned. Dont believe m?. Take one out for a drive and do a quick lane change at 65mph (like you would do for passing a vehicle on a two lane road). Feels kind wierd and unstable doesnt it?. Other convertibles dont share this issue. GM put the vehicle into production before it was ready plain and simple

Hope this helps. Its MHO, but just drive it on the bumpy roads and do the lane change you will see what I mean. If on the other hand gas station ooooossss and ahhhas are what is important to you, buy it, but those people will be the only ones impressed!
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Posts: 1,721
    Wow!! This is very interesting. I totally agree! You should opt for a higher quality car for your first. Honestly, the competition is so much more ahead. I know that you cannot get a convertible hard top for this price. BUT, Sometimes you get what you pay for. I would explore all cars, while looking at quality, build and most of all... value!
    This car (GM cars) suffers from MAJOR depreciation problems anyway, not to mention any repairs you might have to do on that crazy top.

I believe once you test drive as many cars as you can, you will realize what we are saying. You want to be able to have a car you like, minimal costs to own and enjoy it. Take pride in it. I have an 08 G6, I like the car, but don't obsess about it as much as I did with my leased honda. The engine sucks!! Not saying you go get a honda, but think a bit longer before going GM, let alone a brand that is going to die soon!

Look at its reviews, 7.9, it only has 4 reviews.

Too each their own, but I will not get a GM after my G6 lease.
  • kevgretkevgret Posts: 37
    As a former owner of a 2007 G6 and former GM engineer, when the 3 /36 warranty is expired on this vehicle you do not want this type of vehicle as your first car unless you have deep pockets.

Kev says:
    or a GM Warranty. I will have another 5 years once my 3/36 expires. The extended warranty does indeed all roof issues that could up in the future.

The vehicle is beautiful for the price, handles like a piece of junk and is ful of roof and door creaks and mechanical/electrical issues that need to be repaired by bubble gum fixes at the dealer.

Kev says:
    I really can't refute this statement. I am very dissatisfied over the number of times I have had to keep my car in the dealer because they had no idea on how to fix my issue. My local dealer only has one convertbile "expert" on staff.

The Monsoon sound System is a POS.

Kev says:
    Can you please explain further? I don't really have any issues with the sound system except when the bass is turned up it rattles the doors and my mirrors.

Dont let anyone on this site tell you the G6 convertible is a great trouble free vehicle. They are either dillusional, or trying to keep the resale vale of their cars up by drinking the koolaid that this is the best vehicle they ever owned.

kev says:
    Well I am not drinking the koolaid but I definitely lovemy G6. Even with all of the problems there is nothing like dropping the top and going out for a nice drive. My car has been trouble free for over a year and if there are future issues I am sure it will get corrected.

Dont believe m?. Take one out for a drive and do a quick lane change at 65mph (like you would do for passing a vehicle on a two lane road). Feels kind wierd and unstable doesnt it?. Other convertibles dont share this issue.

Kev says:
    This is kind of subjective, isn't it? I would people aren't doing "quick lane changes" for the sake of seeing if it is weird or unstable. I have drive many cars and this car handles no better or worse than any of them. You get comfortable with the car the more you drive, just like any other car.

GM put the vehicle into production before it was ready plain and simple

Kev says:
    I would agree with this statement. I think it GM waited another year it could have eliminated ALOT of issues the car came off the line with.

Kev says:
    In the end I am still happy with my 3 yr old car. I don't know what the future will bring problem wise but for now I will enjoy each and every time my drop gets dropped and I get a great drive in.

Kevin
  • hal56hal56 Posts: 94
    as some may know my g6htc was totsaled in a low speed accident a year ago--I was not too happy withthe car buy I recd original cost repl from ins co--so i took teh money and bought a 335 htc. Yes--more money --but more car--in many ways. I had 2 problems--service engine lite came on when I got home the first night--2 minute fix--still working on a rattle in dash--

but, the 335 is loaded with everything so on many levels its apples and oranges. Stereo--no comparison--seats were upgrades above good ones, nav, etc.

Mileage is about 15% better than g6 city and 20% better highway-more than makes up for premium.

Now my point--the G6 would have been a 3 year car at best and I would have taken big depr--my book value of my 1 year old 9000 mile g6htc would have been 18k in excellent condition (I got 32 from ins co) . Who knows what 3 years value would have been and I am positive after 3 yrs the bmw retains more, and more important I would keep the BMW for a number of years making the BMW a better value long term imo.

Philsophy--buy better and keep longer. more upfront cost-better long term costs.
  • twosmgstwosmgs Posts: 11
    Too much negativism has overtaken this discussion. Has anyone seen Edmunds first review of the new 2009 Infiniti G37 S hardtop convertible? If not, then take this link: 2009 Infiniti G37 S Convertible Full Test and Video. Interesting, as they say. Smaller back seat than the G6, even less trunk space with top down or up (per Infiniti.com's own specs), and more issues, and all for $54K+, about double the market price of a G6.

My 2008 G6 HTC has exceeded expectations during my 15 months of ownership, and is rock-solid during top-up or top-down driving. Only one problem has occurred: an intermittent cold-weather roof rattle was fixed by my excellent dealership via a quick, minor adjustment of two hinge pins near the rear of the second panel. No big deal - he had done this process before for other owners.

I have been lucky enough to personally speak with other G6 HTC owners, both local and non-local (during vacations), and all were very satisfied with this vehicle. A fine value for a high-tech, "fun car," and it's American-built, which helps us all.

For every negative aspect of this automobile, can we also please cite something positive to keep things in perspective?
  • Thanks for the responses, I think after reading this forum I will choose another car. It just seems like a HTC isnt exactly capable of being my only car. I will probably go for a honda/toyota lease return instead.

The first days of nice spring weather in MT got me thinking irrationally...Convertible is still a few years out. oh well I hope to make it the second car in my garage!

John
  • Hello everyone! I would like to say I was raised on Fords and had always been satisfied with them. This past summer I decided I wanted a new car. My last two vehicles were a Ford F-150 2001 with the big V-8 4X4 ex cab and 2005 Jeep Wrangler. Happy with the truck, hated the Jeep! I jumped on the band wagon and decided to buy a car for the gas mileage. My choices went in this order... Pontiac G6 convertible (loved the way they looked), Ford Edge (more practical), Jeep Wrangler (thought maybe if I bought brand new I might have better luck and it would suit my horse and offroad needs), and Ford Mustang convertible (my all time dream car). So we stopped at the Pontiac dealership first and they weren't willing to negotiate the $35,000 price what-so-ever! So then we just went ahead and went to the Jeep dealership and the wranglers got about the same gas mileage as my truck. So off to the Ford dealership. We were about to check out the Edge's and I completely by passed them and walked straight to the black GT convertible manual transmission mustang. They let me test drive it and I fell in love!!! We negotiated the price down to 28,000 with sales tax included from the original 35,000 (only because it has some hail damage from a recent storm). We were seriously thinking of signing papers when my husband thought surely if we could get a Mustang down that far we could at least try one more time to get the G6 down some. I wasn't so happy about this idea anymore, but he insisted since the Mustang is horrible in snow. I test drove it and was seriously disappointed in the lack of acceleration and it seemed to have a delayed response to the gas. They wouldn't negotiate at all, so we had them look for an 08 model since all they had were 09's on the lot. They found one and we bought it for $30,000 on my b-day. It was the best b-day present ever! I loved the car in the beginning but in the back of my mind still wished I had bought the Mustang.
    Fast forward almost 7 months March 17th 2009. I'm driving on the highway and in the slow lane behind a very slow little lady. So I move over to pass her and try to go and my car goes up to 5000 rpm's and is barely getting any faster. So I try again, same thing! I had to switch it to the manual mode and keep it in 3rd and run at about 3000 rpm's till I could get to where I was going. It kinda quit once I let it sit and got back in. But before I got to where I was going it started again. I was at a stop light and it turned green, I went to go and it just revved up then all of a sudden kicked it and the tires spun and there I went. It was shift very strangely after that. So I called the dealership and they set me up for a Monday apt. By time I took it in it had kinda stopped doing it. They couldn't find anything wrong. So I was a little pissed cause I knew I hadn't imagined it. So I figured I'd drive it till either the check engine light came on or I drove it into the ground.
    Fast forward a month... I noticed it wasn't shifting quite right, but still no check engine light. Wednesday April 15th, 2009 (husbands b-day) I drive it to help a friend out that lives around 40 miles away. By time I get off the highway it is having alot of trouble. I try to go from a stop light or sign and it just revs up and barely moves. I get to where I'm going and realize I'm in the way so I try to back up and my reverse goes out. We had to push my practically new car backwards out of the way. By this time I was livid! I called and told the dealership about it and they gave me the number for the tow truck. I was so mad that I was in tears. My car doesn't even get driven that often. We ended up keeping my truck, so I drive it more than I do my car. My car only has 9,000-10,000 miles on it. I'm not sure if that is high or not for an 8 month old vehicle.
    I found out on Friday it has an internal transmission problem and they are going to rebuild the whole tranny. The worst part is they stick me in a Chevy Cobalt 4 door that looks like an egg on wheels. I am seriously disappointed with my car and am now paying extra on it to get it paid off faster so that I can get my Ford Mustang that I have always dreamed of. I don't know if the transmission trouble will effect the worth of my vehicle down the road or not, but I think if it will I should be compensated for this. I am too upside down on it right now to trade it in on anything.
    Other things I have had wrong, the plastic moldings on the sides of my seats are popping off and when I try to pop them back in place it doesn't look like they belong there. The change holder to the left of the steering wheel eats credit cards. It took me 3 credit card losses before I realized they were being eaten by this thing and not flying out the top, lol. I don't know if this was something that had something to do with the tranny problems or not, but when I would have 4 adults in my car is was very slow and sluggish. It would build speed very slowly!
    So pretty much I'm just trying to figure out if I'm the only one that absolutely hates my new car. I am really hoping stuff keeps going wrong with it so maybe I can do the lemon law thing. I think this car is the biggest mistake I have ever made! It's pretty bad when I can truck my old beat up truck over my brand new car. Sorry so long, done venting now!
  • jpavlickjpavlick Posts: 12
    I have a 2006 no problems till last week, THe trunk would not open for the top to go down. THe dealer said it had 2 bad senors, 1400.00 to fix anyone else have this problem???
  • open148open148 Posts: 5
    Let me do a little research and I should be able to let you know if your dealer is full of it or not. I have a couple of ideas but need to run it by a couple of folks first.

Should be back to you in a day or so, please hold tight.
  • SFJerrySFJerry Posts: 4
    I just got my 07 GT HTC back from the dealer after complaining of the same hissing sound they tell me that they have to order a whole new exaust system to fix it . so Im waiting for the call to bring it back into them
    If that happens!!
    Hi:

Seems like a common problem with the HTC. I had my exhaust replaced last June. no problems since...

Hope you get everything worked out...
  • yamawhoyamawho Posts: 9
    Rattles, squeaks, noises, problems etc etc etc. It's unfortunate that the majority of these cars are such sleds. I certainly would not choose this again. Now that GM announced the end of Pontiac, watch the resale value now!! These cars should be next to worthless soon !! I am glad my lease is up next March on my 07 HTC. One more summer and back it goes. GMAC is going to get CRUSHED on the residual value when this car goes back. I did let my friend borrow it when his car was totaled, he hated it after one day! My wife doesn't care for it much either. Mine is not a TERRIBLE car, just low quality....but for $320 a month it could be a lot worse. Poor people that paid up to get one of these.....what a mistake. I might go for a used G8 GT when this lease is up. The value of those cars should be low enough once GM pulls the plug on Pontiac.
    I'm not sure I would go as far to call this car "worthless." I have had my car for three years and Yes there have been problems. But all of them have been corrected and I really enjoy this vehicle.

I do not regret my decision at all. I love each and every day I am able to put my top down and turn up the radio. I am sure I will have more problems with my car and I am confident i will get them fixed with my extended warranty.

Maybe I am one of the few who did not expect a $50,000 vehicle for $30,000.

Kevin
  • Kevin,
    I agree with you. I love our car and sure it has had few little issues. The worst being that they put in way to low a gear ratio and the fuel economy sucks but it isn't the cars fault that was the smart engineers. We love putting the top down and just cruizin with the radio. I have works for all of the different dealer brands and every shop is full of cars every day to get repaired I do not see this model in any more than any else. And the best thing is is AMERICAN MADE not some japan or euro crap where all the money goes over seas.
  • I have been waiting till I get close to the 36K mark to buy my GMPP. I won't buy a aftermarket because I don't trust that it will cover all the little things that could happen to the top workings. With Pontiac closing should I go ahead and get one? I am scared the prices will sky rocket on them since they are no longer produced or they will take them away all together.
  • Hello everyone,
    I bought a used 2007 G6 convertible back in October of 2008. It had under 7,200 miles on it. It has the premium and sport packages, power pedals, and side airbags.

Likes: Very quiet car while driving with roof down, good looking car

Dislikes: 3.9 engine is a real gas-hog, handles poorly on a rough road, transmission seems to lurch at times, back seat entry is poorly designed.

Problems: Both doors started to rattle. I put thick lubriplate on the door pins and the noise is gone. No other complaints at all.

Shortcomings: The vehicle should have had illuminated vanity mirrors, self-dimming rearview mirror, a compass, lockable glove compartment, etc.

Question: I have the automatic climate control, every time I start the car the A/C is on. Is that normal?

Overall rating: I'd have to say that I enjoy the car. I paid $19,900 for the 8 month old car, which certainly makes it more reasonable than paying top dollar for a new one.

Modifications: I installed the lower chrome grilles and a side pinstripe. It really looks a lot better with those items.

Happy motoring to all !!!!
    Steve
  • rjentrjent Posts: 19
    Yes Steve, the AC is always on even in winter :confuse:

We love our HTC. We also bought a 2007 although new. No complaints.

Have fun!

BTW, spray silicone lube (found at RV parts places) on the rubber seals of the top (center, and WS). Works like a charm! I also spray a little around the window seals periodically!
  • rjentrjent Posts: 19
    I just talked to my dealer (a good personal friend of mine) and he said to go ahead and buy it. It is backed by the bailout and the government is supposed to be providing the service if GM goes belly up!

Just my .02

We will add the extended warranty for the car. We absolutely love this car and there isn't another out there that competes! :)
  • They ended up putting on just a new muffler on my car. Since I have had it replaced, I have not heard the noise. They said it had something to do with the drainage hole located on the muffler. Either way, the noise is gone and I'm happy.
  • Hi just wanted to let you know that we just got our G6HTC with 23K miles with the premium and sports package for 15,800 from a dealer so you might want to book out your car I think with all going on with Pontiac the prices are moving around alot.
  • bsudsbsuds Posts: 5
    Thanks. I appreciate that alot. I have had the car as low as $18,000 OBO. I guess due to the economy, I don't even get inquiries. Maybe because of the low mileage they think there is a problem with the car. I bought it new 1 year ago and barely drove it. Around here in St Louis the price i am asking is actually less than what others are going for in this area. If you or anyone can tell me how to sell this car, please do. I don't know what else I can do. It is advertised on 4 major sites. Tried E-Bay for almost 1 month. NOTHING> I even went to a Dealer who advertised they wanted used cars on the lot. 3 months ago they offered me $16,000 and i wouldn't even think of taking that.I just can't afford to sell the car and owe money on the loan. Every month I have to make a car payment, I am that much further in debt.
    . ANY SUGGESTIONS ARE GLADLY RECEIVED Barb
  • Hello Billdaman,
    I assure you that I'm not taking sides in your confrontation, but I can easily see why people wish to take out their frustration on engineers. I am a retired aircraft mechanic that has often wanted to meet the engineer who made certain parts so unaccessible.
    As far as Pontiac's recent track record goes, I would have to say that someone is dropping the ball. Whoever approved the production of the Aztek should be tested for eyesight deficiency .....it's downright ugly! And the Solstice.......that sure seems rushed off the drawing board. The top is a wrinkled mess and why bother even having a trunk lid, there's no space there at all.
    Stopping the Pontiac brand certainly makes me lose confidence in GM. I own ONLY General Motors cars and I can't believe that Buick is still going strong. Did you ever notice who drives a Buick Century? Strictly senior citizens!!! Maybe they have the money to buy whereas Pontiac people can only dream.
    The G6 HTC does have it's drawbacks. As others have pointed out, it apparently can be a nightmare. Mine is my first convertible (age= a very youthful 63) and I really love it. Since I have nothing to compare it to, I can merely read these posts and just be thankful that mine isn't terrible. I would be willing to bet that other brands of HTC's have their fair share of problems too. After all, GM didn't build or design the roof mechanisms.
    Having worked on planes and helicopters for 45 years, I can tell you that multi-million dollar aircraft are often a POS too!!!
    To those of you who have a "lemon", you have my sympathy. To those who have a good one, .....enjoy!!!
    Respectfully,
    Steve
  • htdloverhtdlover Posts: 1
    Yes, indeed. Now, can we get back to talking about real cars that real
    people actually own. If you got rid of yours, great, start a former unhappy
    owners post. I like my G6 and plan to keep it in the best possible shape for
    a long time. I don't expect it to fall apart, rust away, or eat transmissions,
    and, if it does, I will expect the manufacturer to stand behind the product.
    So far, the car is good and so is my dealer.

I would buy GM again, or Ford, or whatever if I have a good experience with
    their product and service. Broad statements that a particular car make is
    a POS may feel good to the writer, but are not based on empirical evidence and have little to no value for the reader. I take exception when someone puporting to
    represent inside knowledge does this, and that is ther reason for my posts.

BTW, my profession is accountant, not government employee.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Posts: 1,721
    Well, I got my car back last week, and I was glad that it was running much better. The catylic converter was replaced and made a big difference. I was going to calm down a bit about getting another car. BUT, last night for the second time.... I was not able to roll down any of my windows!! I am so frustrated, this will be the second time it has done this. It is likely the fuse, but why is it blowing so much? I am so done... I should NOT be having issues like this at all within the first year of my lease. Others may view this as small issues.. but the catylic converter is one part that should not be going out this early. Maybe this is another sign, that I shouldn't get too comfy in the car, and to keep my options open to getting another lease.

I am going to use a highly known lease transfer site to get the process started. I am wanting to like the car, but 13mths into my lease, these issues should not even be happening, its not like their recalls, and GM should have the G6 down pat on design and build by now. I would honestly say that I have given the car plenty of chances to like it. I actually do like it alot! You cannot get the features for the price. But, not being able to roll my windows down for the 2nd time? What if they were stuck open? Catylic Converter replaced?? This is beginning to get real silly. Is this a joke? I see a pattern. I will not tolerate this. Not on my money.

Any way, I am looking into a getting a VW or Honda product. I am done!
  • The battery in my G6 HTC went dead rather suddenly. No unusual electrical draw that might have caused it. The dealer did the "load test" on it and confirmed that the battery was bad. Not that this is any big deal,.......but,.....I had a Malibu Maxx that did the exact same thing. For what they charge for a decent battery these days, you might think they would make it through their normal life expectancy of around 5 to 7 years.
    Has anyone else had a bad battery in a GM car?
    Steve
  • I'm having the same problem. Unfortunately since GM was good enough to mention that Pontiac is gone, people think they can rake you over the coals when purchasing. If you're not desperate to be rid of it I'd hold on to it. Have you thought about refinancing for longer terms? or is that an option?
  • gmerilligmerilli Posts: 25
    I have had my G6 for 3 years and I love it, I did get a chance to rent a Volvo C70 for the week and I can definitely see what the extra $12K gets you. In short the G6 is lowest priced HTC and lacks some of the refinements of the Volvo. I do believe that if I had a choice between Volvo and VW, Volvo would be better. But l was un willing to spend the extra $12K and I am happy with this decision. I would buy my G6 again if I had the choice.