Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac G6 Hardtop Convertible

Comments

• mich0324mich0324 Posts: 4
    Good afternoon Sarah,

I purchased the 2007 Pontiac G6 Convertible as a pre-owned vehicle from CARMAX in Kennesaw, GA. I am taking the vehicle back there tomorrow for repair of the "rattling noise" coming from the roof/door. Their service department said, they would look at it and repair free of charge. I hope the information I found in this thread are sufficient for the dealership to locate the problem. Any additional info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Posts: 1,964
    Good morning!

I hope that everything goes well today at your service department! Unfortunately, I don't have any technical information to pass along to help in the repair process.

All the best and have a great weekend,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • pilot89tpilot89t Posts: 1
    We've had our G6 for just over two years and it's had a rattle in what we thought was the convertible top. In fact, the local GM dealer looked at it and said that they could not find anything wrong with the top. We love the car and so we decided to try again and this time the dealer found a right rear bad strut. We see if this corrects the problem as the noise does sound like it coming from the top.

A couple of other issues to note are that the resonator was causing a whine/ whittle sound whenever we accelerated plus the oil pan gasket is leaking. All this and the 2007 G6 only has ~27K miles.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,076
    pilot89t,
    Thank you for taking the time to post your concerns. Have you spoke with GM Customer Assistance? I would be happy to look into your concerns for you. Please feel free to email me directly; please include your complete contact information, VIN, current mileage, and dealer of choice. I look forward to hearing from you. I appreciate any updates on your concerns and situation.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    SocialMedia@GM.com
  • redbulredbul Posts: 14
    I now have 95,000 KM on my G6 and it is running great. Still have some KM and time on my extended warranty. Rattles are very rare, or I have become immune.

I have been having some hesitating and jolting from the automatic transmission. Dealer found a bulletin for "TCM" which they "reprogrammed". We will see if it works. Car does seem more responsive already though.
  • I have a 2006 G6 GTP Convertible. Even when I first bought it at times going around a corner and letting off of the gas then pushing the pedal it ( the transmission) would slip then catch, it does it every now and then, so they naturally said over the years there was nothing wrong. It does it sometimes if you try to pass someone,only every now and then. Has there been a recall, or how or where do I get the recalls I have missed. I have moved 3 times but have had my mail forwarded each time but that is only good for 6 months I believe. But I also need a passenger seat adjuster the one that lowers the seat up and down, or to lay it forward. They wouldnt fix it under warranty because they said it wasnt a warranty item. I bought 2 already from them. My car is out of warranty now so does any of the recalls even apply now, or will I have to pay for it out of pocket? Now it makes a whistle type noise when I accelerate, but not when its idling or gassing in idling just when I apply the gas. Please help. It goes back to the body shop. I had a wreck and they had to replace the front end , radiator, airconditioner condesor , hood and I think thats it, could there be something like a vaccum hose making that noise only on acceleration? :confuse:
  • I have a Pontiac G6 GTP Convertible -hardtop and when it was 2 years old I had to have the complete motor replaced, it done the very same thing. I knock on wood havent had problems since but I do have the rattling. But was told by the car dealership to keep the seals, rubber trim wiped down all the time w/ conditioning cream, like Armor all or leather conditioner. It does help to stop the rattles, but i also am going to check to see if I need the 2 lil rubber seals they have spoken about on here.. I love this site..I am a woman and mu husband cant hear anything I hear and cannot hear high pitched noises at all. But I have posted a question on here so if anybody can help me I would appreciate it...Thanks :)
  • We paid $ 29,000.00 for my 2006 Pontiac G6 GTP HTC....So that sounds like a good deal but mine is the leather seats, heated and all...I have had several lil bugs w/it and the gas mileage is not never what they list.
    :D
  • Save yourself alot of money. When mine was brand new they said the same thing but completely went over all my seald and rubber this and thats and cleaned the seals and rubber parts with a conditioning type solution. I would use leather conditioner but armor all works ( SP?) but they say dust collecting on the seals etc anything that seals it off sometimes gets dust on them, and keep them wiped and clean and you will notice way less noise. I have to do this asap. Its been awhile since I have done it also. But it is a cheaper way out.
  • I was wondering, I have a 2006 G6 GTP HTC and when and only when I apply the gas I hear a whistling sound, it kind of sounds like a brake shoe squeal. But my brake shoes are fine. It only does it when I apply the gas and am in gear. It doesnt do it when idling or gassing in park, So its hard to get anyone to know what I am talking about. Is this what yours is doing? Mine is going back to the body shop Monday due to a wreck I had because a drugged woman left her car in the left hand lane coming off of a bridge and ran because of warrants and a man in front of me slammed on his brakes, as did I and I barely hit him he has a small bumper dent my G6 GTP was curled back to the hood and front tire and my airbag didnt deploy..hmm..wondering about that one..but please answer back, I would like to know before I go to the body shop because it didnt do that before the accident..Thanks Much.. :)
  • I am wondering about recalls I might have missed. I have moved 3 times w/ mail forwarding each time that only apllies for 6 months. SO if there was any recalls I am wondering what they were and how can I tell if there were some I missed. And being mine is way out of warranty now would it be out of my pocket to get it fixed? I have had my convertible top motor replaced 2 years after I had it, my stereo replaced, radiator replaced and it still uses radiator fluid on trips, it will say low coolant. On my 3rd radiator and its doing the same thing. Now on acceleration it makes a whistling noise similar to a squeal a brake shoe makes when its bad, but it doesn't make this noise idling or gassing in park, just when its driving in gear and you push the gas. It's kind of embarrassing to me, so when I get near anybody i let off of the gas so they don't hear it..lol...I also had 2 passenger side seat arms, the arm that raises the seat forward replaced and they told me when it was in warranty that it wasn't a warranty item...SO I am stuck with a small locking wrench on it..lol..kinda ghetto I know, but its normally just me in the car. And my gas mileage is not good like it said it was going to be, even with normal oil changes and I don't drive like a maniac, lol...I was just wondering if anybody has had any trouble with the transmission doing a slip every now and then? I complained about that when I first purchased it but they couldnt find anything wrong,it doesnt do it everyday sometimes once a month but I can go around a corner and then gas it and it will make a slip and a clunk then go into gear. Strange I know,somebody said it was a recall on that, it doesnt do it in the manual shifting though, only in the automatic setting. But I dont like to use the standard shifting actually I forget I even have it..lol..If anybody has had any of these problems and knows anything about the recalls or anything listed above please get back with me,. It goes back to the body shop Tuesday. I would like to have all my ducks in a row by then..thank you all.. :)
  • Good afternoon cindyntx,

We'd be happy to answer any warranty questions you may have and check for any open recalls if you wanted to send us the last 8 digits of your VIN via email at socialmedia@gm.com

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • You can read about the whistling sound if you search this site. It is likley part of the exhaust system. There is an original design flaw in it. I read on this site that people were getting their entire exhasut system replaced ($900) by GM. I mentioned this to the dealer, and got a shiny new system gratis. Now the new system is starting to make the same whistling sound. I doubt I'll get another free system. Another contributor said he/she went to a muffler shop and got the leak fixed for about $50. I am just concerned such "outside" repair might void the warranty on something else. The whistling will get worse until it will be embarassing to drive.
  • You transmission slipping problem seems to describe how my problem started out. I complained about it one time I took the car into the dealer, but they said they could not find anything. However, the problem went away from a long while after that. It started to gradually come back, then got decidely worse. The dealer drove it and sensed it as well. The transmission fluid level was low and dirty. This corrected, the issue was not resolved. They then found a bulletin which called for an adjustment of the TCM. This seemed to help a bit, but the hesitation and jerk is slowly coming back. It is most noteable when starting from on a slight uphill after stopping at a light. ((I happens most often at the same stop and start at a light midway on my drive home!) I wonder if the computer is over compensating for the hill start. Also I wonder if one or more of the brakes is sticking on slighlty then releasing when the engine is reved up a bit.

Perhaps it could be a function of a roolback prevention feature if indeed the car has one. Or it could be the antislip kicking in somehow. My tires are original and the rubber is hard and nearing the end of its tread life.

To avoid the problem, I start using the manual shift (touchtronic equipped car). So it seems it could be a problem with the computer regulating the automatic transmission incorrectly by missreading a sensor.
  • Good morning redbul,

I see in an earlier post that you have used kilometers as your unite of measure. If you're writing from Canada and wish to speak with Customer Assistance, you can contact GM of Canada at 800-263-3777 (Hours: M-F 7:30am - 11:30pm, Sat 7:30am - 6:00 EST).

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • I had my exhaust replaced by my GM dealer. The car made a horrible whistle soundwhen accelerating.

The dealer had the nerve to tell me it's no big deal.. well that didnt fly and he had to give me a complete exhaust system. It's a known problem with the G6 convertibles...

I still cannot get my cruise control fixed and the car is out of warranty now. If I had to do it all over again I'm not sure if I would buy this car again.. too many headaches for the money I paid.

I tried getting my cruise fixed numerous times but here I am with no warranty and no cruise.
  • mich0324mich0324 Posts: 4
    edited September 2012
    Hi,

My rattling sound in my 2007 G6 GT Convertible seems to come from the roof top while stored in the trunk. I have had this car into the dealership (not GM) several times, and they followed the service bulletin to the "T", exchanged some rubber parts, greased it, but it still rattles. This does not appear to be a whistling sound from the exhaust. It's a rattling sound like something is "stacked" in the trunk and "shaking" going over every little bump on the road.

In addition, my car is now displaying the "service airbag" message on the radio. This message comes and goes, with no rhyme or reason, no matter if someone sits in the passenger seat or not. I called the GM headquarters and they were kind enough to make an appointment for me with the local GM dealership. They said, if it is determined that I did not cause this problem due to misuse or negligence, GM would cover the cost. However, I have to pay for the diagnostic out of pocket first. I saw online that other 2007 G6 Convertible owners are having this problem as well. And there was a recall on some VINs from 2007. (Mine not included!) The repair cost is anywhere from $800 to $1,000, as the entire seat cushion has to be replaced.
    Well, needless to say, I am disappointed with my recent pre-owned vehicle purchase. Just like Kevgret, if I could do it over again, I would consider other makes and models. :lemon:
  • If you complain about the many problems that you have with one of these cars on this particular forum you get bashed by a few "CONCERNED" owners who dont want the complainers to spoil the "fun" for some one who might be interested in buying one.

Why all the concern? If you love your car with all its top and door rattles, poor gas mileage, lousy transmission, ridiculous handling, then fine. But why do you have to criticize those who write about their issues?

Because you know the resale on these loads is sinking far faster than the value of your loans. You want to keep the spin on the internet good for your car so you wont get hurt so bad when you unload it as upside down as you already are.

Its too late for that. I took my pain a year ago and couldnt be happer. Drove off the dealers lot right by my Blue beauty G6 and never looked back. Although I dont get all the complements in the gas station or the ooosss and ahhas from people seeing the roof in action anymore, that kind of attention getting is for morons.

GM knew about all these problems with these vehicles and shipped them anyway. Too bad that I found out after I purchased mine.

Maybe someone can read ALL the viewpoints in this forum, decide for themselves and hopfully not make a major mistake!

This is a great forum BTW, I enjoy all the comment
  • Mine did the same thing. It's the exhaust. My 08 was still under the powertrain warranty so there was no cost. Dealer said this is a known problem for convertibles, but there's no recall.
  • I had my 2007 G6 HTC in for the airbag light 3 times while under warranty. I ran out of calendar time under the warranty, so I complained to GM that the airbag light still comes on with no apparent reason. They told me that I would have to pay for the diagnostic check before they would know if my problem would be covered. Since it is a SAFETY issue, I threatened to report the problem to NHTSA. The dealer finally fixed the problem by replacing the module under the passenger seat with a new wiring kit as well. The problem is gone. No charge!!! (I have only 18,000 miles on the car right now.)
  • For door rattles, try putting some lubriplate or other thick grease on the pins where the door closes. That stopped my door noise for good.
  • I recently purchased an '09 G6 Convertible. We absolutely love the car and used the top without any issues for a few months. Then, the link assembly for the top broke. The trunk had a few pieces of plastic that had snapped off the housing. I ordered a replacement assembly off the web and my order was shipped twice - and it was a good thing. The first one that arrived was broken around the same area as the one on the car. My mechanic repaired the car with the second one that arrived. It lasted about a month and it broke again - this time with more plastic parts lying around in the trunk and upon inspection, it wasn't just the link assembly. I'm completely demoralized as this was a purchase for my wife.

Is this a common problem or am I just lucky?
    Is there some place servicing Pontiacs who can properly diagnose and fix it and warranty the repair for a period of time?
    09g6conv,

We're sorry to hear about these problems you having with the top of your G6 convertible. If you need assistance locating a GM service department in your area, please send us your ZIP code at socialmedia@gm.com

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • redbulredbul Posts: 14
    Hi and Thanks.

Actually the country I live in measures distance in furlongs. I use kilometres because I do not really know how long a furlong is.

Actually the slipping went away when I switched to my snow tires (not that I need snow tires where I live, eh). The tire dealer remarked that the outer edges of the original tires were worn out.

The slip-clunk has recently come back somewhat with the snows on, but in heavy rain and on up hills. I'll see if it gets worse then I will possibly follow your advice. :shades:

Cheers.
  • I recently bought a 2007 Pontiac G6 GT retractable. I had looked at two seaters and found them too small for me. I love the room in the G6 and the retractable hard top. It is much wuieter at highway spped than a ragtop. Mine is the 3.9 and is pretty much loaded. I really love to drive the car, top up or down. Yes I have a few rattles, but they seem to come and go. I am reading about the other issues here.

I bought mine from a Nissan dealer here and ti had a power steering leak that they tried to fix under their 30 day warranty. After several visits and two radiators, everything seems to be fixed.
    mickeynew,

Congratulations on your G6! We hope you enjoy many happy miles in it! If you should every have any questions about the vehicle, warranty, or recall matters, please don't hesitate to contact us at socialmedia@gm.com (include the last 8 digits of the VIN with your inquiry).

• how did they fix the rattling coming from the door area? we have had the car back to a dealership and they have taken the door apart to find the problem - they replaced the motor and the rattle is still there - have you found any satisfaction?
    freddyc,

If you would like for us to follow up on this with your dealership, please contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation so far).

• Bought a new '07 G6 Convertible Hardtop and have enjoyed it as both a convertible & a hardtop. This is my 2nd convertible but 1st retractable hardtop. (Still keeping a red '90 Mazda Miata in the family.)

There's always been a rattle in the passenger door while driving with the top up, and I've rolled the window down about 1/4" and it stops the rattle. Just a little inconvenience in bad weather but not intolerable.

The car has been garage kept since purchase. It is not our primary vehicle but driven for pleasure on trips and around town in good weather. It now has 57k miles and I've never had any trouble with the convertible top. (Knock on wood.)

However, the battery has been replaced under warranty and is acting up again. It seems that moving the top or that & a combination of the CD player takes its toll on the battery very quickly.

Also, both key FOBs malfunctioned within the 1st year of ownership and I have not replaced them due to the associated expense
    Overall, we think its a cool car and we enjoy driving it.
    It looks like an unplanned trip to the dealer tomorrow.
    How did your visit to the dealership go today, tggreemon?