Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac G6 Hardtop Convertible

Comments

• sobeg6sobeg6 Member Posts: 50
    Hi Kevin, did you get both the sport and premium pkg? What was the total cost on the sticker? I have researched the pricing on the vehicle for months now and can pretty much figure out your deal. Just let me know all the options!

I have the same color as you, love the look with the taupe leather interior. Beautiful car. Lot's of compliments on it as well! Would love to compare notes with you when u have some time!

PS- I have been asking everyone out here on the forum, do you notice a slight vibration or shimmy in the steering wheel at about 60- 70mph?

Thanks!
    Perry
  • bxdbxd Member Posts: 186
    Take it back to the dealer for a wheel balancing. If they have a road-force balancer in their shop instead of just a basic spin balancer, try to politely insist they use it. It can simulate the pressure of the road on the tire, and helps align the low spot on the wheel with the high spot on the tire, making for a super-smoothe ride.

More info:
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=40
    Thanks, I already had them balance and they found one wheel off slightly, and fixed it. After that they both registerd correctly. But, don't know what type of machine they used, so I'll check it out! Thanks,Perry
  • kevgretkevgret Member Posts: 37
    Hi:

I did not get the sport package. I really was not interested in spending the extra $1500 for the sport package.

The sticker price was $30,895 for my GT with heated seats, leather interior, remote start, floor mats,the side airbags) the upgraded radio with XM, and the adjustable drives seat

A base model G6 was selling for $29,500 PLUS there were extra charges for the remote start, side airbags, and floor mats which brings the base model up to about $29,890.

Since I bought my car for $30,895 and it included one of the upgrades I wasn't really paying the $1500 to get the leather package. In the end I thought the incremental difference for the leather seats and the color I wanted was better than just getting a base model.

So That coupled with the $500 off I got plus the 10 yr free powertrain warranty and the 3 yrs of oil changes and I think I did ok. I went to all of the dealers in my area and they all think they are selling gold and won't budge much. Plus right now all of the dealers in my area (around 6 of them) are all selling the G6's with BOTH upgrades. No dealer in my area is just selling the base model without the leather/sport packages.

Kevin
    Hi Kevin,

Sounds like your area is much more pricey! I purchased both the premium pkg like you and sports pkg(which gives u stabiltrak, 3.9 Eng. Auto climate control, ultra bright wheels and the 3.69 axle ratio and the dual chrome exhaust tips) basically your getting what the 06 GTP had in the way of options. the sport pkg was 1,290.- The sticker was 31,890. and I got the price down to 30,890. this is in Florida. Oh well, as long as we are all happy with our deals! I just got back in from driving - somebody thought this was a new Infiniti!

Enjoy the care!
    Perry
    Depends on the area. Every base model in Southern NJ sells for $29,800 and the upsells are about $1500 each. So that would make the most expensive model $32,800 roughly.

If your area is cheaper that must mean the cost of living is lower than NJ's.. thus raising the car's invoice in NJ and lowering it in florida.

I'm more than happy with what I got.. especially the extra warranty and the $500 off plus the oil changes.. Works for me.

Kevin
    Makes sense! keep in touch and let's compare notes! happy driving :)
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    kevgret, have you found the Pontiac G6: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion? You might be able to compare notes with some of the buyers there.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• aaamorrisaaamorris Member Posts: 21
    Regarding shimmy in steering wheel. No similar experience.

Someone also asked about a rattle in the window. Again, no similar experience.
    Hello:

My dealer told me that the G6 convertible gets an oil change every 7,500 miles. But if you do the math on the electronic oil gauge I will need an oil change after 5,000 miles. Anyone else have this problem?

Also- does anyone use the fuel gauge? My fuel gauge tells me I have 60 miles left to drive but this is not even close to the truth. Should I even use the fuel gauge?

Moderator: Thanks for the heads up about the other G6 board. I will post my purchasing experiences there.

Kevin
  • biancarbiancar Member Posts: 965
    Fuel gauges in almost all cars are conservative. They really want you to put gas in when you still have 3 or so gallons left, not when you're coasting on fumes.

It's nice to know you still have a little extra beyond what they say, but really, what's the point of running it to the last available drop? Once the gauge tells you you're low, fill up next time you pass a service station. Can't hurt.
    Hi Kevin, I was told by the dealer there is no specific milage for oil change. They advised when the oil life advises it's at 10% you should get the oil change. Sorry can't help on the other questions!
    Perry
    Hi:

I didn't say I was running my car to the last drop of gas. Since it was my first tank of gas I did take it a little down further than I normally do just to get a feel for the mileage.

Actually my gauge never told me I was low, I just did the simple math and realized that the computed amount on the info screen will not match the actual gauge that is left.

My point is why even put an electronic gas meter in the car if it's sketchy at best.

Thanks for the help anyways.

Kevin
  • gmerilligmerilli Member Posts: 25
    I believe that in order to keep your warranty in order the factory requiresan oil change every 7500 miles. However, as a good practice you should change it every 3,000 to 5,000 miles or every three months whichever comes first. Most full service oil changes( my service guy sprays silicon on the the rubber boots and fittings)..cost less than $30. $120 per year is a pretty good investment to lengthen the life of your car.

The estimated miles left to travel on the tank of gas is a combination of the fuel gauge and fuel economy. The number goes up and down constantly based on the type of driving you are doing. I think that this is more very rough estimates.
    There are some of us online who meet at Bob is the Oil Guy (you will have to google it) and we have our used oil analyzed. It would take pages and pages for me to summarize what I have learned there reading used oil analysis reports, but, in a nutshell: 3k mile changes are a waste for 99% of drivers. 5k is fine for most. With synthetic you can do 9k easily. Change your filter at EACH oil change, no matter what the book says. Finally, time doesn't affect oil as much as miles. People have done yearly oil changes with very good results as proven by the labs, assuming mileage is low to moderate.

Of course, if your car is under warranty, you want to stick to what GM says to do. It's not worth risking loss of coverage over. ;)
    When GM anounced it was extending the drive train warranties on 2007 vehicles to 5 years/100,000 miles, it was also stated that those that had purchased the extended warranty would receive some type of adjustment. Anyone know what that will be?
    Hi:

When I purchased my car I was already given a 10 yr powertrain by the dealership before this incentive was in place. I did opt to purchase more bumper to bumper coverage because the top is not covered under a power train warranty and I know the top will break sooner than later and I don't want to pay for it.

So if you purchased an additional powertrain warranty there is some kind of adjustment coming from GM?

I am curious as to what that would be.
    Hey:

Has anyone gone to Pontiac.com lately? The G6 sub site has been updated and re-designed. The base price also has been changed from $28,565 to $29,215. This is an increase of $650.

Fro what I can tell they also changed what you get with a base model. Now included with the Base model is keyless entry and adjustable seats.

Now the add on’s are listed with their price next to it. Before they were added in the leather package. For example: Heated seats are listed at $250.00 XM Radio is listed as a $199 charge. Both of these were typically in the leather interior package.

Actually I think this site is much harder to navigate and figure out what options are available.

Has anyone else seen the new site?
  • jwcoryelljwcoryell Member Posts: 1
    Have you sold your G6 Convertible?
  • lraynolrayno Member Posts: 3
    No, funny thing is, after having it for sale for 2 months in the last 2 days I have had 3 people ask about it - Hoping to sell this week! I do have it listed on Autotrader.com just search 2007 used pontiac G6 area code 31406 and you will see it. Thanks for asking.

Laura
  • shouldbeworkinshouldbeworkin Member Posts: 26
    I have this same problem on my new '07 G6 convertible. Both passenger side windows rattle when they're all the way up. I've lookin for the doc id #1842064 you mentioned, but can't seem to find it on-line. Hopefully you can e-mail me a copy! Thanks
    I've really enjoyed the XM on my new '07 G6 Convertible, but I'm bothered by the display of artist and song. I only can see 8 characters of the 16 that XM is supposed to broadcast. Has anyone figured out if there's a way to get this information to scroll on the display?
    I hope this message is not a repeat, Seem to have lost it while spell cking. Anyway, buy some dry silicone spray. Home depot carries it. Spray the rubber around the perimeter where the window rests. Apply a generous amount. My creak went away instantly. However car is at the dealer now for the drivers window in the down position. It rattles in the door! also, checking the balance and alignment as the car pulls right and at 60/65 the steering wheel vibrates. Took the third visit and a drive in my car and a demo to compare and show them the problem. I'm awaiting on a call today to see what is going on, will keep you informed!
    Adding some material to the seal would certainly make sense as a fix, all that is really needed is to add a preload to take up the lash when the window is all the way up. However, I'm curious as to how this looked when you were done? I'm not familiar with the silicone spray, but it seems like it wouldn't look very appealing when the window is rolled down. Did you not have any success getting the dealership to handle this problem before resorting to the spray? I was actually toying with the idea of seeing if I could get behind the rubber mount on the roof that acts as the window seal and trying to build it up from the inside to push it out. However, I'd really like the dealership to take a stab before I go too far.

Any idea what the fix is that's included in the service bulletin? I'm curious if they try to adjust the rubber seal, or change the angle of the window, or maybe something else...?
    this system is making me crazy, just typed a long message, than it disappeared as I hit spell check!! here we go again.

The silicone is amazing. no adverse look or affect. As you spray it on the rubber it sucks it in. Mine is a month already and no squeaks. you might get a smear on the glass first time up and down, clean glass as usual and thats it. very easy and simple. good luck :)
    Sounds pretty promising! I was looking a little closer at the seal on the roof last night. It looks like there is a about an inch long vertical hardish rubber seal, and then a softer (maybe foam) horizontal pocket to actually capture the top of the window. Did you add the silicone to the hard rubber, the foam, or both? I'm thinking the hard rubber is what needs to be built-up. Any lessons learned as far as needing to mask other parts of the car or drip problems, etc.?

Thanks again!
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    2007 Eos (and this is with the base engine),

4cyl, 200hp (only after turbocharging), 3549 lbs, 0-60 in 7.8 secs, 36,000!

2007 G6 (GTP)
    6cyl, 3.9L, 227hp, 3,855lbs, 0-60 in 7.4 secs, STILL UNDER 30K!

Did I get that right?

How much could the top of the line VW cost? WIll all the options it could break 40K?!
    The Pontiac, even if you load if with everything is about 35K, and if not the dealer will gladly help you out (in some areas).

I just don't know why Edmunds and the auto media look at the VW as so great, and the pontiac at best, so-so. Did I miss something?
    It hasn't been "cool" to like domestics for about 15 years now.... just a bias. Not saying it's even a conscious choice, but the media repeatedly leans import.
    Speaking of horsepower, anybody understand why the G6 Coupe with the 3.9L V6 is advertised at 252hp while the Convertible with the same engine is rated at 227hp? Isn't horsepower just an enginer rating regardless of the vehicle?
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    Actually, the 3.9 was rated 240hp in the sedan/coupe, but is rated at 227hp in the convertable. THis is b/c the convertable is like 2 - 300 lbs heavier than the sedan and the 3.9L OHV, with its excellent 0-50 performance (like all ohv's) is very weight sensetive... that is, fuel economy suffers.

Basically,
    OVH is best for 0-50mph
    OHC is best for 40-70mph

So they had to dumb down the engine output.
    This problem, however, is solved two fold... They rolled out the 3.6L DOHC with has the 252hp your talking about, but for now its limited to the sedan and coupe. Also, they released a 6 speed transmission to improve performance and fuel economy.

You know folks, the best way GM can improve both performance and fuel economy is to reduce the weight of is cars.

Personally, I like the coupe the best, what do you think? There are lots of personalisation options available for this car, if thats what your into :D
  • artrvlrnartrvlrn Member Posts: 6
    I am on my 2nd car, the first one the trunk would not close properly and 2 days after I got it back from 18 days in the shop, the top would not go up at all. It took another 52 days to get my new car. This one now sends a message that says the top is not secure, was in the shop for 3 wks, had it back for a week and am now getting the same message, intermittantly. I'm about to decide that I'm done, and will pay the extra for a Volvo C70 T5. :mad: :lemon:
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    So they up the price $650. Bet they still do not offer a roll bar. Convertible without a roll bar is a bit suicidal, IMHO. And $30K for a Pontiac unimaginable
  • toppertopper Member Posts: 13
    I have a 2007 as well and have had the very same problem with the rear driver-side window rattling in the up position. It rattled since the day I drove it off the lot. I test drove a different vehicle initially that didn't rattle because the one I ended up purchasing was not prep'd yet. It was a surprise for my wife, so when I noticed the rattle as I was driving it home I didn't have time to take it immediately back in. Once we did bring it back in we were met very cheerfully with promises of taking care of the problem. Now after the third visit to the service center, the problem has still not been fixed. We are very frustrated, but sadly I have to say that we were happy to see others with the same problem and can prove that the rattle is not in our heads! I have forwarded your comments and document ID information to the service department in hopes that they will get on the ball and finally resolve the problem and defuse our frustration. If the document #1842064 is available online, please let me know where I could find it. Thank you!
    Hi, for the record, 07 convertible. two separate issues. 1) drivers window, when down rattles in the door over road imperfections. Dealer claimed to fix it, seemed okay for about a week and now it's back. 2) when all 4 windows are up they squeak against the rubber. Sounds more serious, however when I put all the windows down about an inch the creaking disappears. I sprayed silicone on the rubber, works great, but seems to last about 3-4 wks. let me know what your dealer comes up with.
    does anyone get a very slight steering shimmy around 65-70mph??? NOT the cowl shake when the top is down. That I understand. I had the vehicle in 2x for this slight steering shimmy. All tires were road forced balanced (hunter machine) had three different types of wheel alignment. After last visit - car seemed okay, shimmy was almost gone but still noticible Now it seems to be back a bit more. Not a major vibration or shimmy, just enough to know it's there.

If any of you don't mind when driving around 60 -70 on a smooth straight road, would you loosen your grip and weight on the steering wheel and hold the steering wheel lightly and let me know if there is some minor shimmy! Thanks , appreciate it.
    I took mine in for service on the issue of windows rattling while they are up. According to the invoice, Service Bulletin #1865996 was followed.

The write-up on the invoice notes:
    "Found noise in roof panel to panel latches. Latches adjusted per PI #1865996. Part of side rail links. Lubed weather strip."

I struggle to understand how the noise is in the roof panel latches. My only thought is that the window is all the way up, it pushes the weather stripping latches farther in to the roof and actually releases tension on some latches allowing them to rattle(?)...

Anyway, the noise on the passenger and driver side window where they lubed the weather stripping is gone. However, they did not lube the rear window's stripping, and I still get the rattle from back there. I think that when the lube wears off the driver and passenger windows, the noise will return. :( I hope I'm wrong and the "adjusted latches" fixed the problem.
    I haven't seen this problem. How is the on-center feel of the steering system under low loads (when the car is parked, is there a dead spot in the steering system feel)? Any lash there could potentially become excited at highway speeds...
    interesting. Seems when I silcone spray all the rubber, the noise disappears. after a few weeks it returns. So i rather not start with the techs playing with the roof adjustment. Who knows what they will do!
    third visit seemed to fix the problem. feels much better. Thanks for the feedback!
  • stevensorianostevensoriano Member Posts: 40
    I got an 07 with all the bells and whistles. It is replacing a 2002 SC430 hard top convertible.

So far so good. I think there is a lot of value in the Pontiac.
  • jayelwinjayelwin Member Posts: 3
    Compared to the Lexus, does the Pontiac have a cheap ticky-tack feel? That's quite a step down in car quality, it's promising that you still have a good feeling about the car. I asked your brother Brian what you thought of the car. He says you "love it" but he still says I'd think it was cheap feeling. He says I should get a sedan but I'm really into the concept of being able to put the top down. He's already given the lexus to your dad. I'm priced out of all the import hard-top convertibles like the Volvo so the G6 might be the way to go. I just don't want to suffer with less "car" when the top is up just to have the opportunity to put the top down.
  • stevensorianostevensoriano Member Posts: 40
    as for comParisons to thE lexus, the sc430 felt more substaNtIal, but not $30k or $40k more Substantial.

I put it DOwn in another post somewhere here on edmunds.Com, but the lexus suffered from a horrible ride due to the run-Flats. The lExus was an "unwantEd attention" magnet, with people knocking on the window to tell me their opinion of the car....and the LexuS had no usable backseat, even for a todDler.

I am a pretty spirited driver. i take driving Classes at bondurant parK. The fact is that you can never legally use more than 20% of the capacity of the lexuS. being somewhat heavier and less powered, you can never use more than 30% of the pontiac's ability without getting a ticket.

the g6 is full of black plastic, but it is affordable. The money went to the motor and retractable roof. adults are okay in the back for long distances.

i'd consider it.
    "adults are okay in the back for long distances."

Just wanted to throw in my $0.02 on this one. As long as you are ~5'10" or under, the back seat seems to be okay. I'm 6' and can't sit straight-up in the back seat. There's no way I'd be able to make a long distance trip in this car, but my 5'8" friend says she like it just fine.

Headroom in the driver and passenger seat is not a problem.
  • jayelwinjayelwin Member Posts: 3
    I'm seriously considering it. I have an ingrained aversion to american cars - they all feel like rentals to me. My bias towards imports leans japanese, but the other hard top convertibles are swedish and german - two companies who have not had such good track records as of late. So going american shouldn't be worse (and maybe they've cleaned up their act a bit)

I'm turning in my Acura TL and the one thing I loved about that car was the stereo. It was spectacular. Balanced, nuanced, better than anything I've heard. So when I got into the G6, even with the "premium sound" upgrade, I was disappointed as I almost always are when listening to an american stock radio. It has the typical booming bass combined with a very hollow midrange. I'm wondering if anyone knows why the stereo is less than excellent and how it could be simply rectified. Maybe a few cheap paper cone speakers need to be replaced with something better? I would have no plans of ripping out the dash unit since it's ingrained into the whole car etc.

Do you feel that the windshield has such a long slope that even with the top down you feel as if the front roll bar is almost directly over your head? I feel like I'm under the top of the windshield, and I sit really far back. My 5'1" wife would preactically be under the glass.

Also why detune the engine? The 3.9 liter V6 has so much more power in the non-convertibles. And I'm also disappointed in the 4 speed automatic transmission. Makes tiptronic shifting so much less fun. How 1989 of them.

Also I'm used to 270 HP in the TL. I was disappointed with the VW Eos and the C70 as being very underpowered (200 hp 4 cyl turbo or a 215 hp flat 5). Again an additional sacrifice just to get a convertible. I've already decided that if I don't get a convertible I'm going to get an Infiniti G35x. That's a no-brainer for me now. But it's pretty much a parallel replacement for the TL.

Sorry to freak you out. It was funny to see a guy from arizona who got rid of his SC430 for a G6 convertible. That could have only been you. Then I saw yor name/login. Your brother got a huge kick out of it, but he's always had a sick sense of humor.

-Josh
  • gmerilligmerilli Member Posts: 25
    I have had an 07 G6 since July 06. It is not a Lexus, but neither is the price tag. VW and Volvo when similary equipped are better cars but are also an extra 8K to 13K. For me his was at the upper range of what I could afford for a car and I am quite pleased. the roof, integrated remote start(I live in northeast), XM radio and sound system, and stabilitrak are high on my list of things that I like. Lack of a Nav system and no trunk(with the top down) are the things that I wish could be changed. The only annoyance is that the roof is slow opening and closing(45 seconds) and you need to be in park. I would definitely buy this car again if I had it to do over again.
  • toppertopper Member Posts: 13
    Fixed! We brought the car back in once again to have it looked at for the window rattling in the up position. I expressed to the dealership that I was not happy about the number of times I had already brought the car in for the same problem. The service manager himself took the car for the day and researched the solutions that GM has documented. It is my understanding that it wasn't easy and took several adjustments, but he was finally able to get the rattling to stop. It has been a couple weeks since this time and there is still no rattling with the window in the up position. It seems that the service manager was able to make the right adjustments to fix this issue.
    HI, would you mind asking your service manager to fax or email you the document. I would like to bring mine in and get this problem resolved and rather give them as much info, to avoid multiple visits. I also have the driver side wind when down in the door position ratteling over bumps!n thanks for the help, let me know when you get it and i'll give u info where to send. Perry
    I just hit 2000 miles and I am still a huge fan of this car.

No problems at all with the top. I’m not even afraid to put down the top while waiting at a light. Gives the surrounding drivers a cheap thrill, and they’ll get a good laugh the first time it jams and I have to limp the car through the intersection with a half-lowered roof.

With some of the comments I’ve seen in this forum, prospective buyers might be led to think the car is underpowered even with the 3.9 liter engine. Let me put any such fears to rest. The car is crazy fast and gets me in more than enough trouble. I have to cool it off the line, or the tires squeal and I’ll get nailed for exhibition of speed. Short of racing for pink slips, I can’t imagine needing more speed. I also own an Acura TL with 270 horsepower, which is no slouch, but the TL feels like an unresponsive tank after driving the G6.

A previous poster compared the G6's sound system to the one in the TL. I agree that the TL’s is superior, especially when you play a disk with DVD-Audio. But for the price difference, you could put one hell of a sound system in the G6. With that said, the Monsoon sound system in the G6 is quite good. Audio preferences are a matter of personal taste, but I like the sounds put out by the Monsoon system. The subwoofer is especially good, producing a really tight, feel-it-in-your-gut bass without the usual mushiness. The system’s volume is speed sensitive, so it turns up nice and loud to overcome road noise when you are roaring down the freeway, but turns down to a reasonable volume when stopped at a light. Not unique to the G6, but a very nice feature.

Also, the steeply-angled windshield is a feature, not a glitch. The windshield directs the air over the driver and passenger better than any convertible I’ve ever driven. My persnickety wife doesn’t even bother to bring a scarf anymore, because her perfect bouffant remains undisturbed.
    (That’s when driving around town, mostly under 50. Over that speed, the air swirls around the cab and hits you from behind. To stop that, you’d need the optional windscreen that mounts behind the seats.)

Again, aesthetics are a personal thing, but there is really nothing close to the G6 in a hardtop convertible. Aside from the price difference, the Volvo C70 is just ugly. If you are content with a rag top, you have more options, but if you have made the wise decision to go with a retractable hardtop, the G6 is a great choice.
  • jpavlickjpavlick Member Posts: 12
    I bought mine in July and just reached 10,000 miles with no problems whatsoever. I agree 100 percent with the last message.... Love the car and im in Chicago so with the hard top its great so far in the winter and even lets me know when there is a danger of ice on the display.
    Very well written! Sound system unless your a music freak is great. Horsepower is more than adequate. I sometimes also spin the tires if accelarating to hard from a dead stop. Much better power than my slk230 I sold to buy this. In my opinion this car is better overall than my slk230 with more features and accesories. The only thing better on my slk would have been the solid feeling and handling but, I have already moved on! I would recommend the car to anyone who asks. I had a deposit on the VW EOS and took it back after it arrived and I drove it. Not as great as they said it would be and it looks to stubby! The G6 is truly the best value hardtop around. I have been stopped a few times and asked things like, is that a new Audi? is that the Mercedes CL. I removed the pontiac emblem from the back along with the word pontiac and had the G6 emblem replaced and moved over to the left. Looks good!! keeps people guessing!

Also, I purchased from my dealer the lower fascia grill (around fog lights with the car color inserts) and the black grill with the silver and chrome perimeter. Look's so muuuuuucccccchhhhh better!

Good luck all :) and happy driving!