Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln Reportedly May Introduce A Mustang Based Coupe

2»

Comments

• hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,309
    ...for a Lincoln coupe to compete with the Cadillac and luxury import brand coupes, eh?

I've read that the next generation Mustang will feature independent rear suspension, so it would seem that this rear wheel drive platform could be suitable for a luxury coupe derivative. Your thoughts?
  • jae5jae5 Posts: 1,205
    I still lean towards what I said back in Dec '05 (wow, almost 6 years ago :surprise: ). I guess naming-wise it could tie in better with Lincoln's current alphabet-soup naming convention, maybe calling it MKC (MK for Mark, C for coupe?) MKIX is just... :sick: and MKX is already taken

But I think the $64T questions are:

Why? Just to compete with Caddy's CTS/V Coupe?
    What would seriously be this coupe competition?
    Does Lincoln's current customer-base want a coupe?
    Would Lincoln pull conquests in if they offered a coupe?
    Would it be a halo or actually expected to sell units?
    Considering it will have Eco-boost, would there be a V8, a la "Hot Rod Lincoln" version?
    The Lincoln coupe's competition would be the coupes of the other luxury brands (Cadillac, Mercedes, Audi, BMW, Lexus and Infiniti).

I can't answer whether current Lincoln customers would buy one, but I presume that there's a group of the brand's fans, and those who are nostalgic for the domestic luxury coupes of the '70s and '80s, plus some import brand enthusiasts, who would be attracted to a fresh design on a modern, new platform.
  • berriberri Posts: 4,254
    I wonder if this means Mustang is finally dumping the live rear axle on the next edition?
    I read that the '14 Mustang, which will be the 50th anniversary edition, will be on a new platform, and will feature IRS.

I haven't read anything about a Lincoln based on this next generation platform, but it would make sense. The wheelbase could be stretched for the Lincoln.
    I guess, but I really don't see Lincoln being a serious competitor to any one of those, except maybe Cadillac, which isn't saying much. To me, Cadillac is a one-trick pony right now with CTS, stretching that platform to the limit with 3 offspring. I could see the coupe maybe, possibly tapping some G37 and 1-series sales but I don't think it'll get any CLK, A5 or IS and the like.

But I could see this in helping bring Lincoln back in the V6 or V8/RWD game, which is really where most consider the standard drivetrain configuration to be considered luxury. And with the Mustang going IRS supposedly (still fingers-crossed), this offers them even more reason as well as a possible way to spread the cost out. Could this spawn another T-Bird attempt?

A very good discussion.
    "I don't think it'll get any CLK, A5 or IS and the like."

Why not? I'm betting that the next Ford RWD platform will be world class, in terms of design, and their engine and transmission technology is now competitive with the world's best.

I've read that styling wise, the '14 Mustang will not be bound by retro design restrictions, as the current one is. It may have some retro cues, but Ford stylists have been given the freedom to introduce a fresh design. It's being designed for world markets, not just for North America.

As for a new T- Bird, anything is possible, but I think Lincoln stands a better chance, because revitalizing Lincoln is a higher priority than adding yet another model to the Ford lineup. Besides, the margins would be wider for a Lincoln coupe than for a T-Bird. These are just my thoughts, and it's all speculation because its been about four years since I've read anything about a RWD Lincoln.
    Not a slant towards you so please don't take this personal but every time I hear "the next FOMOCO / GM / Chrysler platform will be world class in terms of..." I just smirk and think "Here we go again, when have I heard that before".

Not saying that it couldn't happen, I just don't see it because Lincoln has pretty much become Ford's "badge engineering" division, a la GMC and RIP Pontiac/Saturn/older Buicks. But if they prove me wrong I'd gladly take my hat off to them / Ford - it may actually get me (and others) to start looking at them again. Even if they don't do a coupe, just a nice, proper RWD platform along with real sheetmetal differentiation from a Ford product would help them tremendously, and possibly help Ford division to have another RWD car besides Mustang.

Again, an interesting and good discussion.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,925
    Maybe you missed the fact the the Mustang already was sold with IRS?
    It was the Mustang Cobra. sold up through 2004.
2»