Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isuzu Rodeo Check Engine Light

Comments

• Good evening all,

I also have the check engine light on. I had it looked into, and I was told that it is due to a bad Oxygen Sensor. It's not going to cause the car to break down, but it is slightly damaging my gas mileage, and causing that check engine light to stay on.

Does anyone know if it is possible to clean the inside of the fog lights? I have some rusting due to water intrusion. I am getting ready to replace both lamps via a new assembly kit, but I am trying to avoid spending $150.

Thanks.
  • steammarcsteammarc Posts: 4
    I had that problem too and the issue was a loose wire connecting the engine control modude to the crankshaft sensor switch. The engine control module does not sense where the crankshaft position is when the wire moves, and that causes things to go snaky, such as the transmission and cruise lights coming on. This issue took a good mechanic in Syracuse one and a half weeks to find. Total cost was $425.00,$395.00 for labour, and $.99 for the new wire. Good luck!
  • my check engine light has come on since about 4,000 miles. I find that when I fill up the tank it goes off or shortly after that. It seems to have a mind of its own.
  • my 2000 Rodeo has suddenly lost from about 20 plus around town, down to about 12 mpg . I only have 37,000 miles, original owner... no computer codes have been found. It started in March...
  • I have same thing. When I take to mechanic, they say no error codes have registered.
    Usually when I fill the tank with gas the Check Engine Light goes out. and ABS, it just goes off for a long time, then comes back on for a few days.... I thought it was when I did alot of braking going downhill mostly, and that seems when it comes on more, but also just stays on after all that and am on flat land... :?? Car runs fine, except now I am starting to see very low gas mileage
  • MY 2001 HAS THE SAME CHECK ENGINE LIGHT AND FUEL GUAGE PROBLEM.
    SAME THING THEY SAY THE FUEL SENDING UNIT NEEDS TO BE REPLACED.
    TO GET MY CAR INSPECTED NOW. I HAVE TO FILL MY TANK, DRIVE IT FOR
    A FEW SHORT TRIPS. THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT GOES OFF AND I GET IT
    INSPECTED. I HAVE BEEN QUOTED ABOUT 5-600 FOR THE REPAIR.
  • I have a 1996 Isuzu Rodeo. None of the tail, instrument, back-up or front running lights work. I put a new fuse in the socket labled "Tail, Instruments" Still nothing. I have Brake, head and turn signal lights. There is 12V present on the fuse socket.

What else would be common with all these lights?

Thanks, Grandpagator
  • yahnt2yahnt2 Posts: 1
    same thing here...it is covered under warranty
  • bugsy1bugsy1 Posts: 16
    Check engine light been on for a few years now , i ignire it because it comes and goes good gas milage some times , any way i think i need to top up my transmission fluid but i cant seems to find the oil filler plug i look in the hand book then i check my tranny but i cant seems to find the right place to put the fluid thanks .
  • dsirekdsirek Posts: 2
    That would be great if it didn't have to pass inspection every year and with the check engine light on it will not pass inspection.
  • i was wondering the same thing. i have been told that it is a sealed trans and will not need filled which i dont understand that at all.
  • i was driving down the road then stoped. had trouble going again shifting next gear then my car dies dead battery i guess changed the terminals and rechaged bat. because i just got the bat last year. check engine light is on and has been when this started abs light came on reduced power light and battery light. after all changed everything went away for about 2 days now trans light is on and shiftin wierd so now how do i fill my trans? already checked manual and there is no fill up spot.
  • I have a 2002 isuzu rodeo sport. today the check engine light came on the code is PO342 its running fine I don't hear a misfire or idleing seems o.k. what should I check
  • howardruhowardru Posts: 155
    Just go purchase a ScanGauge and you'll be able read the ODB Code and reset the Check Engine Light anytime you want.

http://www.scangauge.com/
  • justanoxjustanox Posts: 12
    Im having the same issue with my '02. Ive tried everything i can think of to fix it... Did you ever figure it out?
  • The only thing I know is that when you fill the gas tank up and drive around, the check engine light goes off. It has something to do with the fuel sensor . I'd love to talk to someone who knows anything about all the recalls at Izusu to see if they have recalled this faulty mechanism. In Hawaii, I cannot get their service dept. to work on my car.. they want to keep in for two weeks.
  • the 3 clicks rule is so you dont suck air into your gas cap. if you dont use the 3 clicks rule your car will suck up gas causing your vechicle to stall and the check engine light will come on.
  • check your gas cap you have to go at least 3 clics on tightening your gas cap. it will say it on the cap itself. at least 3 clicks and check engine light will go off. you have to go 3 clicks everytime when you get gas
  • check your gas cap. it should tell you t go past 3 clicks when tightening gas cap. failuer to do so will cause your check engine light to come on. it will suck in air sometimes stalling your vechicle too. check your cap. then everytime you get gas use the 3 click rule.
  • check gas cap if your engine light is on it might be your gas cap. if your go to tighten your gas cap you must go past 3 clicks when you close gas cap if not check engine light will come on and your car will suck up gas and can even stall your vechicle. check out the cap itself it will tell you on cap itself. hope this helps.
  • To check, change, or just fill the trans fluid you have to find the trans fluid tank under the truck. On the bottom of the pan there are 2 nuts. One is to drain, and one is to fill. You need a mechanics syringe in order to fill. If you take it to have your fluids changed ask them if they know how to change your tranny fluid. It is funny to watch them look for a dip stick after they tell you they changed all of your fluids. Anyways, if this wasn't helpful enough- sorry- but you can also google "how to change transmission fluid in Isuzu (and the make of you truck). and it tells you how to do it. That is where I found out.
  • the code indicates that you have a camshaft position sensor, low input. check the wires and make sure that there isn't a short, you might want to change the sensor just to be sure.
  • I read on gas cap to turn 3 clicks and since then my check engine light has not come on ever again. before that, it would come on here and there until I filled the gas tank. But I read about this 3 clicks and saw that also the attendant who pumped my gas did this and never had issue since.
  • Almost since I bought the car, my ABS light comes on and off.
    I thought it was my breaks but have had them checked and no problem.
  • My rear lights go out, all except the top light above the back window, whenever I step on the brake.
    My car is still under warranty so hope this is covered. My electric car key is also not working, but that has been the case for almost 2 years.
    This recent problem has just started. I have only 38,000 miles on my car, but had it shipped from hawaii to california recently.
  • 1999 rodeo blinkers and heater fan quit at the same time..here what I know so far.
    1 I checked all the fuses and they were good
    2.checked the flasher and replaced it just to be safe.
    3.Hazard flashers are operational
    4. Think that could possibly be a ground wire gone bad. but were to start?

I am looking for any other good Ideas on what to check ...this problem is going to be a big drill down so I am look anyone who has experience these problems.
  • well the key issue could just be a battery in the key that activates door lock and the like. take the key to a lock smith and he will replace the battery for you.

the other problem is best handled by a auto-electric shop or a dealership is sounds like you have a short in the wiring somewhere
  • penny46penny46 Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Rodeo that I had to put in a new engine. The motor is from a 2002 Rodeo. They used the wiring harness from the 2002 that has 2 speed sensors. The 2000 only has one. The check engine light stays one and it codes for the one sensor it doesn't have. Does anyone know how I can get the check engine off or bypass the other speed sensor? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Help! I'm at my wits end. I can't get my Rodeo inspected because the check engine light will not go out. I've taken it to two car repair places and all they can tell me is that the computer won't let them override the light. It runs fine and I think the light is just a glitch in the car but I've already got two tickets for expired inspection and I don't know what to do. Can anyone offer me some suggestions?

P.S.
    I tried the gas cap thing. No luck. :cry:
  • mohandismohandis Posts: 2
    Experienced the same problem twice. Onboard analyzer points to loose gas cap - First, the original cap has the rubber seal twisted. Second, the cap was not seated properly. Check rubber seal often and rotate cap three times when you place it back.