Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic Coupe / Civic Si 2006+

Comments

• aaykayaaykay Posts: 539
    Simply put, there is a linearity to the iVTEC

Magic of the variable valve timing ? The new 2.5L DOHC variable valve timing Turbo is a gem. The torque is available from down low (200+ lbs/ft from around 2000rpm) and to a very broad range till near redline. The powerband is very linear too. The good thing about the Boxer engine layout of Subaru is that it does not require power sapping balancers to reduce the vibration from the 4-cylinder, like with the Civic Si's inline-4 cylinder. The Boxer engines are naturally smooth with the opposing pistons cancelling out each others' vibrations, thus obviating the need for balancers.

Even though Subaru officially publishes figures like 230HP/235Torque for the WRX engine, unofficial dyno tests have shown that the true HP is well over 270hp/280Torque.

Anyway, to get back to the topic of the discussion...having owned Integras in the past, I would venture that the Civic Si should be a very capable and fun machine.
  • So I'm getting the impression that the Si is all about revving the engine. :confuse:
    strumelia
  • gonozony,

Thanks for the response. That very eloquently states my preference for the VTEC Si also.

And to answer Strumelia,

Whe you don't rev you are "Clark Kent" when you rev you become "superman" or at least feel like him ;)

Motor On,

MidCow

P.S. - Remember when the sayins were "Be cool" and "Make Love, not War"
  • zombozombo Posts: 89
    In a review of the new SI in Honda Tuning,they say there is a lag in acceleration due to the new Honda'drive by wire' throttle system.Instead of a throttle cable,gas pedal input is conveyed through a group of electronic governors to the throttle butterfly.They said " The lag between throttle input and power delivery is noticable and annoying when you're deep into a bout of spirited driving."

I still want to test drive this car ,but if this is true it's a major flaw in a car that the ripoff Honda dealers are trying to sell way over MSRP!
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,803
    In a review of the new SI in Honda Tuning,they say there is a lag in acceleration due to the new Honda'drive by wire' throttle system.Instead of a throttle cable,gas pedal input is conveyed through a group of electronic governors to the throttle butterfly.They said " The lag between throttle input and power delivery is noticable and annoying when you're deep into a bout of spirited driving."

I still want to test drive this car ,but if this is true it's a major flaw in a car that the ripoff Honda dealers are trying to sell way over MSRP!

I wonder if the drive-by-wire in the new Civic is similar to the drive-by-wire in the CR-V. I have a throttle cable going through the firewall to the drive-by-wire box, wher eit actuates the potentiometer. Then, through the wiring harness the signal is fed to the computer and the servo at the throttle. The lag is not noticeable, at least not as bad as the 1999 Jetta which I stalled due to lag. I have yet, to stall the CR-V.
  • zombozombo Posts: 89
    to the drive by wire in the CRV. The article says Honda is committed to the system and hopes that the aftermarket will come up with something to eliminate the lag.Noticable doesn't mean excessive though, and hopefully it was just an issue with that particular test car.While I'm still looking forward to a test drive,I have no intention of paying a penny over MSRP,as the car configured the way I want it with tax,destination and tags would be over 25K when you add the 2K ripoff fee! Sorry,but no Civic is worth 25K,especially when a RSX Type S can haggled down to the 22K range,with an all new 07 RSX on the way soon!
  • Midcow: I will be in Houston on Christmas eve driving a bright red 2006 Si. I have not picked the little beast up yet,but it will be driving from Michigan to Allen Parkway for it's inaugural run. Oh yes, you will see me. I'm old, female and it will have a Michigan plate. See ya partner. It's name will be Chili Pepper.
  • see the new car section :0
  • Okay some are the dealers are telling me that Edmunds.com is suggesting they sell for $2,000 over MSRP.

Thaey are going to sell at MSRP but they are going to be very limited and the price will go up in 6 months.

H'mmmm

Anybody else started talking to dealers ?

Cheers,

MidCow.

P.S.- If it isn't old news the September 5, 2005 Edmund chat dialog on the 2006 Civic is pretty informative. If you have already read it , I appoligize :)
  • aaykayaaykay Posts: 539
    There is a head-to-head comparison between the Civic Si and a bunch of other cars (including the WRX) in "Automobile" magazine. The Si was the overall winner.
  • I have an 03 Accord with drive by wire throttle, and its the one thing I hate about the car. Wish Honda would do away with it.

Everytime you floor the throttle froma higher gear, the car seems to collect its breath for a fraction of a second and then you feel the power come on.

I tried other Accords, all exhibit the same lag.
  • "Everytime you floor the throttle froma higher gear, the car seems to collect its breath for a fraction of a second and then you feel the power come on"

H'mm don't notice it in a Accord Coupe 6-speed manual shift. Could it have something to do with automatic transmission ?

Cheers,

MidCow

P.S.- I am still trying to negotiate a Si commuter car :)
  • For those who plan to pay above MSRP can you please tell me WHY?

Im not talking down on the SI but whats the rush.

Do people really go OHHHH WOW he drives a civic SI.

Doubt It..... Unless you are under the age of 20
  • I wonder has any of you seen this press release from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety:

http://www.iihs.org/news/2005/pr120405.html

The 2006 Civic got the Gold rating for overall crash safety from the IIHS, a truly landmark rating for a small car considering how rather extreme the IIHS test criteria has become in the last year or so. This would be the equivalent of the Civic getting a five-star impact crash and three-star pedestrian impact rating from the EuroNCAP authorities. :shades:
  • Dunno about manual cars, but it could be htat in a stick shift you anyway release throttle while you change gears so maybe don't feel it. Not sure though.

In an auto, it happens pretty much most of the time.
  • micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    The crash test results are truly excellent. Keep in mind, though, that while the side crash test is absolute (all cars are impacted by the same size, shape, weight crash sled) the offset crash is weight based (comparable only with similar or lower weight vehicles).

In America we have a lot of what I consider to be oversized vehicles - pickup trucks and sport utility vehicles, in particular. I grew up in a passenger car dominated environment, so my mind set has always been to get a passenger car that is safe.

Now, as I look more around me, I realize freeway crashes, street crashes, may involve a much heavier compact or full size pickup, or SUV. Therefore I am gravitating more towards full size passenger cars (Five Hundred, Accord, Charger), minivans, small SUVs, and cross-overs. Sadly, passenger cars, which are one of the greatest family transportation vehicles ever devised, are sinking lower on the food chain...and compact and subcompacts are at the bottom of the passenger car chain, purely because of weight (although good body design and crash tests help a lot).

That having been said, a surprising number of traffic accidents are "single vehicle," and you are probably no better off in such a crash in a big vehicle than in a small vehicle. In this arena the Civic should shine.
  • Every Honda automatic I've ever driven has behaved like this. When you floor it, there's a momentary pause before it kicks down and takes off.
  • micweb,

I can understand you concerns, but once the Europeans started the European New Car Assessment Programme (EuroNCAP) crash test certification program several years ago, automakers around the world have done quite a lot to dramatically improve small car safety. As such, the 2006 Honda Civic is one of the few cars I know of that protect the passegers quite well even if you get hit by something as big as a Ford Expedition or GMC Envoy large SUV's.

Also, with the 2006 Civic, if you get into an accident the vehicle may be crumpled and be a total loss, but you'll probably survive the impact with relatively minor injuries. This is because all the body crumpling actually dissipates the energy of the impact so the force of the impact is far less on your body. Remember all those spectacular-looking auto race crashes with body parts seriously crumpling and flying all over the place? Race car engineers actually design that behavior into the car design because the crumpling of the body and body parts breaking away in a controlled manner enormously dissipates the force of the crash from the driver's standpoint.
  • Yeah, do not pay over MSRP . . . I'm picking up my Si later today (OH WOW, the kids are going to be SO jealous).

A local dealer had just happened to get one in. I went and drove it, etc ... he quoted me "23 to 24 thousand" for it. I told him I needed to think about it.

Went home, checked online, called other local dealers. Everyone else was selling at MSRP but had a several week waiting list.

Called first dealer, talked him "down" to 22,775, then told him that that wasn't good enough, and that I'd just go put my name on one of the lists and pay MSRP. He told me I was MAKING THOSE PRICES UP!

You have to love when a dealer calls you a liar. Anyway, I told him I don't appreciate being called a liar, that I'm a repeat customer (my 2001 Civic was from there), and that I'm feeling VERY disserviced. I told him I was going to put a deposit down at his competitors, and that if he still wanted to make an equitable deal, that he had 30 minutes to call me back.

So I the first Si in my area, I don't have to wait for it, I paid MSRP, and I made the dealer throw in all the extra junk (wheel locks, Scotchguard, etc) at no cost.

Don't let these people pull shinnanegans on you!
  • It's true. Last month the dealer started out by telling me flat out they were NOT selling the 2006 EX Coupes for less than MSRP at this time. But I hardballed and 30 minutes later on I wound up getting mine for about $800 LESS than MSRP. I spent the extra 800 on options, so in the end I got my EX Coupe (not a Si) with lots of added options (fog lights, nose mask, leather steering wheel, mud guards, etc) ALL for the MSRP.
    strumelia
  • Now that some of you have been driving your new Civic coupes around, can you report on the real world mileage you're seeing?
  • In early November I purchased a 2006 EX coupe for $1104 under MSRP with only a $49 processing fee added. Bought it from Sport Honda, Silver Spring,MD. As far as I know that's standard procedure at Sport Honda.
  • I've had my MT coupe for about a month. I get around 40 HW. I drive conservatively so I get not too much less than that city.
    I paid about $1K less than MSRP also.
    But otd price is what counts...that was around 19200
  • First tank was 28, second 29, third 30, fourth 31.8. I hope to see the numbers keep climbing and level off around 35. I don't drive with fuel economy in mind, but I'm not red-lining it all the time. Has anyone driven more than my 1400 miles and experienced when the engine actually "breaks in" and levels off in mileage?

Also, I am in CA, so I was wondering if our gas is worse for mileage, or what brand gas I should be putting in... does it make a difference?

-Alex
  • Alex, are you referring to a 2006 Si or a 2006 Civic Coupe?
    Seems like kind of poor mileage. Are you driving mostly city or highway? Standard or automatic?
    strumelia
  • On my other car forums, the feeling is that mileage IS lower in California. But I would think that the Civic should be able to hit low- to mid-30s for combined city and hwy.

I am considering a Civic for my 100-mile round-trip freeway commute. 35 mpg (compared with the 20 I'm getting now) would be fabulous. Of course gas is the lowest it's been in quite a while, but I'm sure it will be heading up before too long.
  • Well I specail ordered the Civic Si today at a little less than MSRP . They told me 6-8 weeks, I will keep you posted.

Summer Tires with NAV and fog lights, color Rallye Red.

It is going to be a great, no very excellent, commuter car !!!

Cheers,

MidCow

P.S.- I think I raised Honda's target demograhic age single handedly with my purchase. Go Old guys!!
  • Well obviously the NY Times reporter likes supercharging and turbocharging better than Hondas high 8,000 rpm Hp. But you gotta wonder how much to really believe when the writer confuses last year's shifter with the 2006 Si's. Did he really even see or drive a 2006 Civic Si or did he just pull press boiler plate from somewhere else?

Thanks for the link natenj1971,

Cruis'n,

MidCow
  • I'm driving a 2006 civic coupe EX, automatic. I know...I agree that the mileage seems a bit crappy, but I don't know what I can do about it. Any advice? should I take it back to the dealership?