Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic Coupe / Civic Si 2006+

Comments

• tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    As was already said, you'll have horrible gas mileage. I have first hand experience with that one. Not in an Si, but another car where premium was only "recommended." I would get a solid 50 miles LESS per tank of gas, and the car ran and felt very anemic. With an 11:1 compression ratio, I'm sure your owners manual states that you should only run regular gas in an emergency situation with just a few gallons of it in the tank and to fill up with premium as soon as possible.

Sure you can run regular in it, but I wouldn't dare trying to run that engine up to 8K RPM with it!! That would be begging for busted pistons and/or bent rods. And there's no way it'd pass an emissions test.
  • ok i have a big problem this honda civic and i dont want to junk it . this is what happened normal drivening for a few miles like 5000 after i got it and the #4 pistons blent on me so i got a head from a junk yard the car was running`good the parts car . so i went home got a new head gasket checked to make sure the head wasn't bent and the block they checked out so i put the head on just like to service manully expained in detail changed the old and antifreez also new plug and wires . ok so to make it somewhat shorter it run but only 1&4 r working so it doesn't run right anyone got any ideas to help me out on this one ?????? :sick: :lemon: :confuse:
  • ramzaramza Posts: 1
    ok this may or may not help you but if you message me and give me some more info on the car and what is doing when you start it i may be able to help you some. it could be a timing problem or sparkplugs weren't put in correctly. most likely its your distrubuter is off or cyl 2 and 3 spark plugs are not plugged in correctly. hopefully this may help you i would check all of your connections and COMPLEATLY switch the plugs to see if its just faulty cables. also check the head you pulled and make sure there is no damage to the intake valves that may cause a major problem even if its a chip the size of a large grain of sand.well message me back and ill try to help you my email is terencenaylor@yahoo.com i am not a pro but im good with cars. if i cant help you ill get u info from one of my friends.
  • Hey all,
    I was wondering what typical MPG you Si folks are seeing? I am coming from a Subaru Forester XT, and I'm probably in the low to mid-20's MPG. I know both cars take premium fuel, but if the Si gets better gas mileage I would consider switching over. My commute (95%) is mostly highway.
    Any advice/help would be appreciated.
  • cz75cz75 Posts: 210
    I average 26-27 mpg, which is mostly suburban and rural secondary roads.
  • motonationmotonation Posts: 34
    There's a whole thread on Civic mileage - check it out: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.ef7f897/1649

There's also info at 8thcivic.com about it.

Most people seem to average in the mid to high twenties overall, but many people have reported hwy mileage in the 33-34 range. I'm thinking of purchasing one myself, and have a friend with an 07 Si sedan that gets that on the highway, so it can be done; maybe even a bit more if you have everything working in your favor.
  • Very good info. thanks a bunch.
  • unkownuserunkownuser Posts: 23
    For those who have indicated that fuel efficiency will be crushed by using regular, I would like to know by how much, if any. I hear strong definite assertions, but little (actually, no) empirical results, and so must ask.
    Unknown. However, it is because the ECU retards spark timing to prevent detonation and keep the motor together on more volatile lower octane fuels.

One thing about using premium, is that most places the differential, no matter what fuel prices rise to, is always going to be $2.60 more for a 13 gallon tank.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    I've seen several scientific studies that showed as high as a 15% reduction in fuel economy, however, most reductions show up in the 5% to 8% range. With regard to the Civic Si, Honda doesn't just Recommend Premium, they Require it. The fact is, the Si has a high 11.0:1 compression ratio, a ratio that is so high that detonation is almost guaranteed to occur at all but the lowest power settings if Premium fuel isn’t used.

Long story short, the bigger issue with the Si engine isn’t fuel economy, it is engine protection. If someone holes a piston, Honda’s most likely going to charge the owner a pretty penny for the repairs.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • robotazrobotaz Posts: 1
    I bought an '08 Civic Si coupe and will be selling it at a loss of $2,200 just to get rid of it. These cars are cheap. I thought people saying the plastic was cheap meant that it looked cheap, which it does, but what they really mean is that it's garbage and scratches and scuffs with very little effort. Additionally, the rattles are unbearable. I couldn't listen to it one more second. I parked it, ran an ad, and sold it. Never again will I buy a Honda. They are the most over-rated joke of a car. If you're not a little kid and you know what quality really is you will not be at all happy with this car. The pluses stop with looks and quickness. I refuse to drive crappy, squeaky, rattling cars and this one is the worst new car that I have ever bought. Thank goodness I bought it for resale alone and could bail on it. I feel sorry for people who can't get out of it. I had to buy a truck to pull my boat and bought a new Ford. I never would've guessed, but that truck makes this car look like a '83 Yugo when talking about quality. I now realize that the Honda hype is due to morons buying them who don't know what they're talking about. I'm going to try the Mazdaspeed 3 now. Hopefully it won't be so junky.
    As a suggestion, you might want to try a VW GTI or GLI. I know that the GTI is currently being offered with 0% financing for up to 72 months. FWIW, I'm looking in that direction as well.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Funny, but my Si has the fewest rattles of any Honda or Acura I've ever driven. Anyone expecting something better out of Mazda probably has another thing coming. VW products seem solid, but maybe that's because they never get driven enough to squeak and rattle because there's always something going wrong with them that requires them to be parked for service. Personally, I can't help but wonder if this post is for real and what, if any, steps were taken to resolve the rattle before selling at a loss.
  • mocivicmocivic Posts: 5
    I think there's a reason a "lemon law" exists: Some cars ARE lemons. I think to characterize all Hondas in the way you did is to ignore thousands of satisfied customers and experienced reviewers.
    Here's where I'm coming from: I just had MINI buy back my 2007 MINI Cooper S after having to replace three clutches in just a bit over one year. Even though MINI newsgroups have documented many with the same problem, they would blame me and then reluctantly replace it. In addition there were numerous other irritants like rattles that developed, or auto windows moving slowly. As much as I loved the drive, I could not trust the car.
    My Honda Civic LX Coupe was $9000. less than the MINI, and feels tighter, smoother, quieter, and WAY more reliable. Did I get lucky? I think not. I think you got unlucky w/ your SI, and I got unlucky with my MINI. Both experiences turned us away, but I know there ARE many good MINIs out there. You should admit the same is true for Hondas.
    The statistics would indicate that there are many more good Hondas than Minis, or Mazdas, or VWs.
    "The statistics would indicate that there are many more good Hondas than Minis, or Mazdas, or VWs."

On an historic basis, I might actually believe that, however, since the Gen 8 Civic and the Mark 5 Rabbit/Jetta/GTI/GLI debuted (both in 2006), I'm thinking that if anything, the roles have been reversed.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    That doesn't seem like enough time to get a feel for long-term reliability on the VWs, which have a bad reputation to live down. Honda has a good reputation to blow.
    "Honda has a good reputation to blow."

Get on a couple of dedicated Honda Civic boards. It seems that the reputation is well on it's way to being blown.

Typical complaints include (but are not limited to) the following items:

- Numerous engine failures due to bad block casting
    - Cheaper interior than the Honda Fit
    - Rear suspension geometry causing squirrely handling and premature tire wear. FWIW, the 2006 model year has a TSB on this issue, however, the problem seems to persist to this day, and dealers are very reticent to swap out the rear suspension.
    - Numerous transmission related issues, especially 3rd gear on the Si tranny.
    - Annoying rev-hang when lifting off the throttle.
    - Lots of squeaks and rattles
    - Intermittent A/C effectiveness on really hot days

After driving both back-to-back (along with an Mazda3), my favorite is the Rabbit/GTI, and it wasn't even close.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • mocivicmocivic Posts: 5
    I think what matters is the current quality of product that is being turned out, not if one is going down or up in quality. The boards are both a blessing and a curse: If one never reads them, you'd almost never hear of all the problems that are combined and concentrated on the boards. I'm guessing that almost every board where the focus is on problems with a particular vehicle would be enough to cause one to give up cars for bicycles. But then we'd just find all the flaws on the bicycle boards. I don't mean to be overly simplistic, and I'm certainly happy to hear about problems that need to be addressed. I guess it's the wholesale "this brand sucks" attitude that gets to me. When you find the "trouble-free manufacturer" of your dreams, keep dreaming.
    Which engines have the bad casting, the K or the R-series?

I find the Si interior is better than any previous Acura I've owned and as good as my folks' last gen TL-S, except that the metallic-look trim pieces don't, which equals "cheap." Honda should take a lesson from Audi and use real aluminum (but avoid taking lessons on designing A/C, radio, wiper and cruise control controls from Audi).

My rear suspension has a little too much negative camber, but it isn't squirrely and I can buy new UCAs, either the non-adjustable OEM from '08 on, or SPC adjustible to correct.

My transmission would jump out of third, but I replaced the fluid with synchromesh and it hasn't been an issue since. I had grinding issues with my last 5-speed Acura transmission that a fluid change also fixed.

The rev hang is a pain, but it is also mandated by stricter emissions requirements. I know many other cars are also DBW and don't have the issue, but each engine design has unique characteristics that may exacerbate or mitigate.

Again, the squeaks and rattles are fewer than any other Honda/Acura product I've driven.

My A/C cooled me down within ten minutes from 106 last summer with high humidity. A Mazda3 wouldn't do it in 20 minutes of test-driving from under 90, twice.

VWs always do seem to have thoughtful features and drive well, but no one in my family has owned one since the early '80s and won't until they get a consistent reliability record.