Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which Minivan has easiest seat storage?

1235»

Comments

• dennisctcdennisctc Posts: 1,168
    I sort of doubt anyone with a bad back would find it even possible to remove the 2nd row seat from all other minivans. You'd have a much better chance of storing the Stow N Go seats then any other, except maybe the Nissan's but then Nissan's don't really store (they're still there) and give you a flat floor, they just fold on top the floor.

I had to go out to my 2005 with Stow N Go and try this, since it's been a year since I had the seats out of their pockets.

Actually there's no heavy lifting in the Stow N Go seats, the trickiest part is the lid covers. The seats themselves are spring activated and tumble into the storage hole with no effort whatsoever. Just pull on the release tab then the spring tumbles them into the floor. To get them out - lift cover, pull handle and they tumble back into place. Pulling the handle requires the most effort of the entire exercise because you're pulling against gravity, but even then the spring offers leverage. It's not you against the entire weight of the seat! There's no need to "pick" seats out of a hole - you make it sound difficult and troublesome - that's hardly the situation.

FYI - next year T&C Limited will off full power 2nd and 3rd row storage.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I agree that removing the seats with a bad back is simply not an option. They're all too heavy.

In the Sienna they fold and tumble forward. You pretty much only have to pull the knob. They're not entirely out of the way, but it requires no effort at all. Lifting is harder, of course.

I'll take your word for it with the Stow-n-Go, as I haven't tried those in a while.

Perhaps the question should be - what is the owner going to load in all this space with a bad back? It's not like you can lift anything that big.

If you're getting help loading then I'm sure you could get help folding seats, I suppose.
  • With the new Oydessy you can handle the folding seats with 2 fingers
    The 3rd row, you mean?

I believe the 2nd row doesn't tumble forward, at least last time I tried one (2007 model). You have to lift them out, correct?
  • dennisctcdennisctc Posts: 1,168
    On my Dodge, there's 3 straps labeled 1, 2, and 3. With one finger you can do all three steps. On a 2008 there's one button to push, requiring only the tip of a finger - not even your entire finger!!!
    And remember, Toyota and Dodge offer power folding 3rd rows.
  • siennamisiennami Posts: 116
    They may, but I drive a CE, and I have had a heckuva time getting my 3rd seats to unfold..... don't know why, but I have. And for me to bend for any length of time, which I have to do to fold or unfold those seats, will cause my back to hurt. And since I am single, sometimes there's not someone around all of the time to help. And yes, reading the directions does help, just not my back! The second row seats do tumble..... the salesman did it the other day when he was trying to move one over for me.
    Put one foot on the bumper for leverage.

I've sprained my back and one thing I learned to do is never lift with my back. I will at least brace myself with my other arm, or let my knees do the lifting.

It's hard when you are reaching in, though, so try the foot on the bumper step idea.
1235»
This discussion has been closed.