Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-series vs Lexus IS

Comments

• equan1equan1 Posts: 27
    Contrary to many others posting on this board, I've had nothing but good/excellent service from all three BMW dealers I've dealt with. Cars were always ready as scheduled, car was washed and vacuumed, free BMW loaner, follow up calls,..whatever. Perhaps some of the poor dealership were a result of the rapid expansion of dealerships in the US a decade or two ago.
  • potemkinpotemkin Posts: 196
    Glad to hear it. I don't think anyone here is implying that any particular brand has extensive dealership problems. I'm sure you could pick any BMW/Infinit/Lexus/etc. dealership at random and come away with satisfactory service.

It does seem that manufacturers should (if they don't already) take great pains to ensure that their service providers come through for them, 'cause it looks like service is a deal breaker when it comes to brand loyalty.
  • deweydewey Posts: 5,243
    Let me just clarify one point.

There is more than a subtle difference between warranty and post-warranty services. Post-warranty services in my case has been horrendous in terms of being hit in the wallet(which I managed to avoid paying by going to an independent).

Maybe my experiences are not representative of the whole population of BMW owners? Or maybe most the forum members who are prasing BMW services are covered by warranty and are oblivious of their services' adverse financial affects?
  • Couldn't agree more with what you said.. :)
  • potemkinpotemkin Posts: 196
    It wasn't cost that drove me to look elsewhere. I don't mind so much paying for quality service -- while I was paying for five-star quality service, I was getting zero-star service. That's what swore me off them.
    For me a test-drive is what will persuade me to buy another BMW despite their shoddy services.

Fortunately I have a independent mechanic(worked 20 years at a BMW dealership ) that provides "First Class Services" at a reasonable cost.
  • webby1webby1 Posts: 209
    What dealer are you going to ?
    I deal with Budd's in Hamilton and it is fanatstic !
    Webby
  • gordonwdgordonwd Posts: 336
    Autoweek just did a comparison of a new 330i vs. an IS350. The results were interesting. On specs, they complained bitterly about the IS not having a manual trans option, but in the straight-line acceleration testing they admitted that it well outran the BMW by the combination of more horsepower and the fact that it is easier to get a good launch with the auto trans.

However, they basically flunked the IS in the slalom test because there is apparently no "official" way to turn the traction and stability control off all the way as you can do with the BMW. As a result, when trying to max it out thru the slalom, the stability control kept kicking in and killing the throttle, applying brakes, etc., and totally ruining the times.

They did mention that there is an unofficial and undocumented way to turn this control off, but that it involves a complicated "pedal dance" that must be repeated every time you start the car. So the BMW with the DSC turned off had to be declared the winner.
    Parkview and Autohaus.

I live and work in downtown Toronto and it will be a challenge to drive all the way to Budd's with my daily schedule.
  • webby1webby1 Posts: 209
    My dentist takes his to Town and Country and he lives in Ancaster.....go figure!
  • Can't agree more with you about how BMW dealers treat their "potential" customers. I've been to a few BMW dealers. All those sales people held their noses high as if they were the only car manufacturer in the universe. On the other hand, Lexus salespeople treated me with style and dignity.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    I actually couldn't agree less. I've been to a few BMW dealers and was treated just fine, even though I didn't end up getting the car there. Any dealer is the luck of the draw.
  • rlui1rlui1 Posts: 93
    Ditto! I own a Lexus and BMW and you can't beat the Lexus service. On the other hand, you can't beat the BMW driving experience so I'll put up with the mediocre service (especially since maintenance is free the first four years).
  • qswimqswim Posts: 3
    I was going through some of the forums, and I had to stop to address this issue. If you're leaning toward one car or the other, then I respect that. However, do not allow your preference influence facts. Facts are, if you fit behind the seat of an IS, you would have had at least 2 more inches of room in the 3. I've test driven both, and set the front seat exactly how I like it when driving, then sat in the backseat. More room in the 3.
    Speaking of your quoting, you said that even $1800 over invoice was more than what you've been quoted. Be interested to know how you have it packaged and what type of quotes you're getting. I like both the 350 and 330, but IMO the 3 series, no matter the year, seems to age like fine wine. When you see one, there's no mistaking what it is.
    You know, I was thinking the same thing when I was driving home today. No joke. I saw the new Sonata and thought it was an IS from afar. Don't get me wrong, I like the styling of the IS, the problem is that it is not as unique as I'd like. When you see and Audi, BMW, or even trucks like say a Dodge Ram, there's no mistaking them. Good points indeed.
  • Overall consistency in apperance used to be a major forte of BMW's, but the latest generation acquired a rather unflattering Pontiac-looking front. I serious thought the new E90 was a Pontiac when I saw the front from a distance for the first time.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    The opinion expressed in the prior post appears to be in the minority as far as the trades go. The E90 is a strong, handsome looking car.
  • "Wooden steering wheels, not for me"

There's no wooden steering wheel in the IS.

And also, do some people feel better about themselves when they say that the 330i is absolutely a better car than the IS 350?

I think it all lies in your preferences. Neither car is ABSOLUTELY better than they other. Whatever floats your boat you know?
  • Maybe being comfortable in the 3 series meant me putting the seat back a little more?

Either way, the 3 series is popular; it has its own crowd.

No love lost.

I love the IS 350; my kind of car.

:D