Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-series vs Lexus IS

Comments

• circlewcirclew Posts: 8,258
    How the heck can I hold the windshield the the proper distance?? ;)

Oh, heck, I get it...just adjust the seat, silly me!

Regards,
    OW
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,660
    yes we'll have Lexus develop radar-focus for the power seats----great idea, LOL!
  • I own 2006 IS-250 AWD and I regret buying it because its tight interior space. Specially rear seat is absolutely useless for adults. Buy it only if you dont expect it accommodate average size 4 adults. I know my next would be a BMW 3-series.
    I wouldn't be surprised if future variants of the IS get bigger. That seems to be a major issue with some owners.

I owned Lincoln LS and the 3-series is "cozy" in comparison but livable for 4 on most drives. It's far from a long-trip cruiser for 4.

I would buy another 3 just for the driving dynamics.

Regards,
    OW
  • louisweilouiswei Posts: 3,717
    Didn't you test drive the car? Why did you buy it in the first place if the big issue is rear seat space? I can understand it's the driving dynamics that you don't like after own it a while but now almost 2 years and you complain about rear seat space? Sorry I just don't get it because it isn't making any sense.

Also, why are you posting the same post at different IS boards? Even the IS-F one? What does it have to do with the IS-F? :confuse:
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    Maybe it shrank more after he washed it? ;)
    Oh well then he better get the 5-series instead because after a wash it'll become 3-series size.

;)
    Listen, how do you think they got the 1-Series? Gave the 3'er a shower and put it on a low-fat diet!

Regards,
    OW
    Oh darn, now it all makes perfect sense...
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,653
    Lets not get into his shrinkage :shades:
    Oh boy!

Regards,
    OW
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Ya got the wrong discussion, that's a photo of the new CTS. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    LOL, that's brutal.
  • caminacamina Posts: 31
    I looking to buy a new luxury sports sedan really soon. I have been driving a 1988 BMW 325. I want something sexy but I am concerned about gas mileage and reliability. Power is not one of my priorities although I prefer to stay with a 6 cylinder. My top 2 choices are an IS250 and BMW 330. I also like the C300 and CTS but they are not good on gas. The TSX is a 4 cylinder but doesn't offer that much better gas mileage than the IS250 or 330. The IS250 gets 21/29 and the 3 series gets 19/28 for automatic. So, right from the start the IS250 has a slight edge. I live in Boston and wondering if there is a major difference between the 2 in terms of winter driving. I don't want the AWD on either so I can get better gas mileage. Please give me your unbiased opinions on each or suggest another car altogether.
    1. BMW doesn't make 330i anymore

2. IS250 is more comparable to the 328i in terms of performance and pricing
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Uhhh, pricing maybe (depending upon how they're configured), however, in the case of manual transmission versions of these cars, the 328i will mop the floor with the IS250. I know the stats look kind of close on paper, but after you drive them it will be quite obvious that the IS250 is considerably slower with regards to its acceleration, and its numb handling just makes it seem all that much slower.

That said, if the OP is looking for a cushy boulevard cruiser, then the IS250 is probably the perfect choice.

Best Regard,
    Shipo
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,207
    back seat thing. This is where the IS really takes it in the shorts, both for the lack of room & the lack of fold-down seats.

The BMW 3 (& TSX, by the way) will carry two adults comfortably in the back seat and can be had with fold-down seats, which add immensely to the practical value of the vehicle (IMHO, of course).
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,653
    The back seat isn't as bad as I initially thought.

I recently helped a co-worker purchase a new car and her top choice ended up being a loaded IS250. The 3 series was too expensive when optioned like the IS, the CTS was too big (and the test car gave a bad impression with a vibrating steering wheel). The IS NAV is also much better than the CTS

She didn't care about the power of the IS350 and wanted the NAV instead of the extra power (odd concept for me).

I can squeeze into the back of an IS (6'3")...but others with shorter legs will find that the back of the front seats have indentions that give additional (much needed) space.

We recently took her car for lunch and 4 of us fit fine (I don't see the middle seat being used by anything other than a child).

Not my top choice...but a real nice car that she's trilled to own.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    What's sexier than an 88 325? :blush:

In your case, I vote for the TSX.

The TSX and IS250 are pretty much a toss-up on fuel economy and engine output. The biggest difference between them is that the TSX is more spacious and is actually fun to drive. The TSX also has a track record of outstanding resale value.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,207
    "The TSX also has a track record of outstanding resale value."

Thank you, thank you sir. I'll take whatever postive reinforcement I can get these days.

Seriously, with my 5-month old TSX I can certainly tell that it's not RWD, but otherwise (how was the play, otherwise, Mrs. Lincoln?) it's been delightful. My bicycle fits in the trunk & everything else works too, every time.

Oh, and it gets 28 mpg in mixed driving to work and back.