Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Ford Super Duty

Comments

• Got my 08 350 super duty diesel, crew cab long box lariat, in July. Throtle response from a stop was awesome. Breath on the peddle and the truck would "spring" forward with no turbo lag. Towing 10,000 lb trailer was incredible, trailer and 3,800 lb slide in camper, still wonderful. truck and camper alone, great throtle response. It's was a joy to drive.

At 7800 miles that bottom end throttle response went away, now I have a 3.5 second lag before anything happens. Went to the dealer, they report all the testing showed everything was just fine. I insisted it was not they called in a Factory Service Tech. He reports after testing my truck and a new one off the lot that it is just fine. (I couldn't be there the day he was there) Went to pick up the truck They tell me nothings wrong, I ask to drive the the "test" truck, it does the same thing as mine. If nothing is wrong now, why did it have such great performance before? What changed? Anyone have an idea?? I intend to keep pursueing ford, and test driving new trucks in hopes of finding one that drives like mine did.
  • bobm11bobm11 Posts: 2
    Hi: My wife and I are about to buy a slide on and we are having a hard time with the right vehicle to haul it with. I have always heard Dodge with the cummings was the best. I dont know about the new Ford 350/450 because all I read about is TROUBLE with the engine. I dont know that much about the Duramax. The camper we will be placing in the truck bed is about 5200-5400lbs when everything is said and done. My question is; will a 350/3500 be enough truock for us? We plan to go out for about 2-3 months at a time, come home for about 2 months and go out again for 2-3 months and continue that cycle. Any help would be appreaciated. Thanks Bob M
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    The only truck that even comes close to handling a 5,000 slider is the F-450. Are you sure your numbers are correct?

Ford 2008 Towing Guide

Mark
  • How do I get the door panel off of the rear door of the crew cab? Special fork tool or screw driver to pry or ??
  • I just made a 60k mistake, I have had my 2008 F450 for three months now, almost 3k miles. I was towing my 40 foot toy hauler with my 2006 F250 6.0L and wanted to upgrade for safety and some more power for climbing those hills when going on trips. Let me say I love everything about my new F450 BUT the fuel mileage. I have this nice brand new truck that I paid a lot of money for and I hate to drive anywhere now because the cost in fuel. I normally would not hesitate to jump on the gas with my F250, but now with my F450, I find myself driving like my mother. This truck has doubled my fuel cost a month. Here are my mpg findings. I live in a rural area, not much city driving and the best I have gotten with no load and my foot off the pedal is 9.1 mpg. Towing my trailer at a max speed of 65mph the best I get is 7.3 mpg. I have 4:88 gears and at 65mph I'm turning 2400-2500 rpm's. I wish I still had my 2006 F250!!!!
  • Bull S### I baby my 2008 F450 w/ 4:88 gears and only get 8mpg. My 1997 F350 4:10 gears 7.3L provided 18 to 19 mpg, 2006 F350 4:10 gears 6.0L provided about the same. 2008 7-8 mpg with no load. Please Ford, I'm a loyal customer but what the H##l. Note: In 1997 I was paying .96 per gal. for fuel. 2007 3.29 per gal for fuel. Anyone want to Buy a fully loaded 2008 F450, because I'll be selling mine!!!!
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    Since the tires are close to the same diameter between your 2006 and 2008, the difference is the axle ratio. The 4.88 axle raises your rpm 19% over the 4.10... what was previously a 2000 rpm tach reading is now nearly 2400. So now, the rpm and turbo boost are up, which will cost you fuel economy.

And diesel fuel usage increases dramatically as the rpms increase. With my 2005 Cummins, I can easily get 22 mpg in my Ram 3500 4x4 dually at 55 mph/1550 rpm - at 70 mph/2000 rpm, I'm down to just 17 mpg.

The F450 also has a weight penalty with the heavier frame and suspension components. More need to keep the boost up to get all that iron moving.

kcram - Pickups Host

Need help navigating? kcram@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

A F-450 4x4, weights 8600+ pounds,
    A 2003 F-350 4x4 DRW weighed around 6900 pounds.

Yes thats about 20% difference.

Mark.
  • TRY CHANGING FUEL& AIR FILTER FIRST NO LOW END POWER ON PLUG FILTERS.ORE THE LOW END TUBO IS SHOT.SAME PROBLEM ON 06. #2 ADD AMSOIL DIESEL CONCENTRATE ADF-CN THIS WILL CLEAN THE TOP END. THIS WILL TAKE ABOUT 2 WEEKS TO SEE THE DIFF.#3 THEN ADD 4/40W AMSOIL DIESEL MOTOR OIL DEO-1G + THERE FILTER A MUST.THE DRAIN INTRIVELS ARE WAY HIGHER THAN 15K.I HAVE DONE THIS FROM 1997 FORDS AND UP.MILAGE WILL GO UP BY 1.5
  • I now have 4516 miles on my 08 f250. I just made a 750 mile trip hauling a 2800lb load of tar and towing a 3500lb Crafco melter. I averaged 10.1mpg. The truck computer is showing 14.
    I would really like to know where the 350hp and 650lb of torque went. My 1999 7.3 liter f250 with the same gear,and same load will eat this thing alive and still get 15mpg. This is real world highway driving,75 to 80mph.
    Could anyone tell me what happened to all the power this 6.4 is supposed to have? Thanks
  • I was interested in buying a Super Duty with the 6.4L Diesel, but I have been very nervous about there fuel mileage, I had read in a magazine they tested one and got 18 mpg, and 15 in the city....My friends 6.0L gets 17mpg, and his Cummins gets goods mileage...I was wondering if anyone had some mpg ratings for the 6.4L if there terrible, ill just purchase the 5.4L king ranch F-150. but i guess you can always put a chip in it, or a air filter and exhaust on the diesel and help your mileage
  • I have just over 4100 miles (about 3/4 of that is highway mileage)on my 2008 F-250 6.4L Lariat CC. I have the 3.73 axle. I have the optional 20" wheels/tires. I put an Access tonneau cover on the short bed. I rarely exceed 2,000 RPM. I rarely exceed 70 MPH on the highway (Have heard that over 70 MPG drops significantly). I have verified my mileage by hand, and continually monitor the dash meter as well (they are pretty close). I have yet to tow my trailer with the truck. I am getting 16.2 MPG on the highway, and 13.2 around town (My around town mileage is extremely short trips...many less then 2 miles. Highway MPG has been increasing with increased mileage on the truck (current range is close to 500 miles per tank of fuel). Around town seems to remain pretty constant.
    Do not chip, exhust, or do other MODS to this engine.

People are complaining about the 6.4L's fuel economy because they are letting their EGO instead of their NEEDS determine how big a truck they buy. Even if you get great milage from your 6.4L the diesel still costs 6k extra which you will never see again unless you keep the truck forever and put over 18k per year on it.

Mark.
  • I have seen you in other entries have very strong opinions about people buying the diesel when they don't have to, and I agree with you.

However, I cannot seem to get any mileage info on the Ford F-250 Crew 7.3L V-10 gas w/4.10 axle. The loads I pull struggle with the 5.4L V-8 gas w/4.10 axle, which I have now. I like the idea of the V-10's price, quieter sound, fuel type, and power potential, but 10 cylinder mileage scares me because I keep trucks a long time. I've heard rumor the V-10 mileage is not sub-10 mpg and close to the V-8 gas mileage because it does not have to work as hard to move that big mass, but that may be a rumor only. Do you have any opinions on this or mileage data on V-10?

Thanks in advance!
    A sales person at my dealership says he gets 16mpg on his 6.8L V10.

Mark
  • Look out boys and girls. Their all going to have converters as big as trash cans, like the 2008 ford. Have heard you can modify the converter, will find out more in the future. Hey, took mine to ford dealer said what you got is what you get. They don't give a *%*@ after you buy it.
  • I bought a 2008 6.4 lariate F-250, short bed, 4X4, 20" wheels, 3.73 gear and fully loaded! I understand everyones concerns about whether or not to go diesel or gas, but I can tell you first hand "This truck is the real deal". The fuel economy changes from fair to great depending on how I drive that day, or by how much I may be towing but with that aside I can tell you this new 2008 makes the dodge, chevy, toyota, and nissan look like %&#*! All of my friends drive the other make trucks and I've driven them all and the only one that even compares motor wise is my buddy with the new 2007 6.7 liter dodge (makes great power), but the comparison stops at the engine becouse the rest of the truck is crap! And lets be honest with each other, when you spend $50,000 on a vehicle yeah the milage is important but definately not a deal breaker! I had a 2003 before this and the difference is night and day! I dont think I'll do any performance upgrades simply because Ford has smartened up a bit and realized people were doing all these mods and teraing the vehicles up prematurly. I'm from Florida and drive about 150 miles a day for work and I pull my 5000lb farm tractor back and fourth to my hunting land in GA and every once in a while I'll get into some deep clay trying to navigate through the property and I'll put it 4 wheel high and the truck doesnt breathe hard with clay up to the bumper. I have pics of me pulling out another guy in his new Toyota tundra that he swore by just thirty minutes before getting pulled out by my 2008...
    This truck has several new upgrades from the previous years and I can a lot more pros than cons not to mention pulling up to the light and having all the other truck owners (dodge, chevy, toyota) checking your truck out....
    They know the deal!!!

Mike
  • i have a 99 f350 w/ the 6.8l v10 it has 173,000 miles on it . i avg 12-13 normal and 17 on highway still. run full synthetic oil and keep up on maint, it will run forever
  • How do you get that kind of MPG. I have a 2008 F-250 V-10 and it get's 12 MPG ?
  • This is what I was trying to find out about the 2008 V-10 mileage. Is the 12 mpg highway or local? If highway, what is your local mileage?