Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Big 3 and the domestic issues that will affect them

rockyleerockylee Wyoming, MichiganPosts: 13,989
edited March 16 in Chrysler
I feel by creating a forum such as this, it will give us a place to talk about broad domestic issues that the Big 3 are faced with each and everyday.

I also feel this forum will be addicting to all that love and care about the American Auto Industry as much as I.

I want this forum to be open minded. I don't care if you're pro or against unions. Tell us why ?

I wanna know what's effecting the auto industry, and why they are struggling ?

Is it democrats or republicans that are helping or hurting the auto industry and it's suppliers ?

Are you Pro or Anti NAFTA/CAFTA ?

"I just want a forum that we can debate a wide range of issues. Not only just GM/Delphi, but also about Ford and Chrysler too.

I also don't care if we talk about BIG 3 cars too.

I know personally I will enjoy Edmunds even more. Wait is that possible ???

Comments

• rockyleerockylee Wyoming, MichiganPosts: 13,989
    I of couse think GM does. Ford's Mercury Mountaineer sure is a looker :shades:
    It is not only well designed, but is made with premium materials.
    The Mercedes 300 ....oops I mean Chrysler 300 is also a good choice.
    "No pun intended"

So who in ya'lls oppinion has the best car quality ?
    I know many of you are pro or against the 2 big trade treaties.
    Some of you think the competition of the Asian and European imports have helped improve American car companies quality. I personally believe they have. It just took the Big 3 a while to wake up and smell the coffee. I however believe their needs to be fair trade on both sides. "No more I won't tariff your imports, but it's ok to tariff mine" mentality.

What do ya'll think ?
    Taxation, Healthcare, Competition operating their companies in 3rd world country's ??? Or is it a bigger issue such as politics ???

Would The Big 3 be in such hot water if a Democrat was President ???
    Or was this going to happen regardless of politics ???

I personally think a democrat is much better on domestic issues. Especially the Economy. I however feel many of you will disagree, and that's ok. Bush has done a great job for many in the buisness world.

Rocky
    I personally would say the Cadillac XLR or STS either would have to be the best car made out of the Big 3.

What make and model do you think ?

Is the Cadillac STS or XLR line up really "The Standard of the World" ????.....I personally think they could make a case for it. I also think those 2 cars are among best cars money can buy at any price. They both offer extremely high levels of safety, creature features, and quality to be segment leaders. Or is Lincoln going to overtake Cadillac in the very near future ? :shades:
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,201
    The second from last word in the title of this topic should be "affect."
    I'm not sure if you are right or wrong on that. If you are right and I'm wrong, hats off to ya pal. I won't claim to be a English Grammer expert. If the title is misspelled like you say, it's way to late to fix it now. I don't want my grammer and spelling to be the topic. GM, Ford, Chrysler, are the Topics

Thanks for the correction
    I unfortunatly used the wrong version of Affect. please if it's possible correct the title. Thanks
    rockylee

Wife says I am wrong :lemon:
    The preception is that GM and the other American car company's build junk. I would of agreed with them about 5 years ago or so. Over the last 3 years I've seen huge improvements in Quality from the Big 3. Name me a Asian offering that is better built than the Buick Lucerne in it's price segment. ???....The Asians might offer a little more creature features presently, but quality has been met. The Big 3 just needs to keep the pedal to the floor, and who knows what could happen. We might one day see the Big 3 beat the competition in Quality and Technology. ;)
    It is indeed "
    "Affect" ;)
    :shades: Thanks for all the help, respectfully->rockylee
    We might see the greatest revolt in U.S. history since the Civil War. I really feel some laws are going to change over this Delphi bankruptcy issue. I hope for the good of North America, and especially for the greatest country on god's green earth. http://www.futureoftheunion.com/ has alot of intersting subjects. Miller has burned his bridges. I hope he will help repair those bridges. If Steve Miller really doesn't sleep at night over the fact that many in his company may lose their jobs, he could actually be a hero. He could fight along the side of The UAW workers for economic change. I know I have wishful thinking, but I do believe in miracles.
    Another good read is this article:

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0511/01/C01-367908.htm

Any comments ????? :surprise: Boy what some good material.

I hope all that visit this sight enjoy these articles and thanx-->Rocky
    http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0511/01/A01-367975.htm

$10 Billion is alot of money. The airline industry got somewhere between $15-30 Billion dollars in Gov't. handouts, right ???.... Not to mention the oil industry. I think it's time for Dubya to help Delphi and the Big 3 out for the short-term. Give em' the money...... Long-term solution: Fix the economy. Do whatever it takes to avoid the Domino/Ripple effect. I know many Americans don't wanna keep bailing big corporations out. We really can't afford it. We are damned if we do, and damned if we don't.

Ford is facing a similar crisis. Chrysler is doing ok, but Mercedes isn't. There battles lie ahead in the future.

Rocky
    How many of you knew that ??? ;)

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0510/09/A09-341807.htm

DELPHI http://www.delphi.com/ and you thought they only made car parts. ;)
    Will this be a money maker for Ford ??? or just a product image thing ???
    I think it will be a great car. Will it be enough to get folks to tour a ford dealership ???

Dodge has the Viper, but they(Chrysler) don't really have a affordable image car.
    Neon is dead. I do have the answer for Dodge. It's a nameplate that represents performance. In my opinion this is the greatest car ever built in Dodge history. Do any of you have a clue at this point ????
    I know I lost some of you, but I will continue on
    Clue #1 it had 4 wheel steering
    Clue #2 It also had AWD
    Clue #3 It had a Twin Turbo V-6 rated at 320 hp.
    Clue #4 it also was a hatchback
    Oh I give up, I'm referring to the greatest Chrysler product ever made.(My opinion)
    The Dodge Stealth Twin Turbo

I gurantee you this, it would be a bigger hit than the original. How/Why????
    Huge Advancements In Turbo Technology.

Dodge bring back the Stealth, make it alot like the original, but modernize it with quality, 420hp TT, and 4-wheel steering with AWD. Also don't forget to add a booming stereo and perhaps a Navigation. :blush:

Rocky
  • falcononefalconone Posts: 1,726
    Please change the forum to the one captioned in this title ;)
  • falcononefalconone Posts: 1,726
    DC is definitely at the bottom of the list. I'd have to give the nod to GM for "most improved". Ford does show promise. I really like their Mercury Montego. How about putting a decent engine in it. As to GM...ditch the pushrods already!!!!
  • rroyce10rroyce10 Posts: 9,359
    ..... Hmm, interesting discussion ..... you've posted 15 out of 18 times, do you get this type of reaction at home .? ..l.o.l....

Terry.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,871
    We're going to go with this. But let's keep it related to the automotive industry and avoid making it personal.

Carry on!

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Going solo eh!
  • mirthmirth Posts: 1,212
    Okay, here's a quick list of the issues I see affecting the domestics:

1. Japanese manipulation of the yen (bad)
    2. Chinese currency manipulation (good for parts they make in China, bad when the Chinese start importing cars)
    3. Health care costs outrageous increase, with no government subsidy (as opposed to all their foreign competitors whose governments pay for health care) (bad)
    4. Unrealistic UAW contracts (Miller at Delphi may be blunt, but that doesn't mean he's wrong) (bad)

Just off the top of my head...
  • What about "making quality vehicles"? No wonder we have a problem.
  • I came real close to buying a foreign car for the first time in my life. It all comes down to 2 things: Price and Warranty. I did tech consulting in many manufacturing companies in the US. The US industry as a whole MUST look to technology their process as much as their products if they are going to survive. We cannot beat the foreign markets on labor. So we must make our lines so high quality, efficient, so damn productive that those companies that go overseas will stand out with shoddy product, that takes forever to deliver. By being more efficient, the cost per unit will go down, hence price. The higher quality will let the US companies compete with the foreign warranties. The downside to this revolution, less people working at the factories in the US, BUT the factories will stay open.
    I can agree with that. good points ;)

Now for all, I was just bringing up some "jibber jabber" about the automotive industry. topics I think alot of folks would comment on. :)

If I'm wrong, perhaps some of you could bring up better subjects.

I got a question ? Who makes Fords Hybrid Motor ?
  • dino001dino001 Tampa, FLPosts: 3,498
    Wasn't Stealth a rebadged Mistubishi? Just asking...

2012 BMW 328i wagon, manual and sports package. No. sold in the US: 1. Probably.

Yes it was. A very cool car. I bet someday DC will male another one.If they don't, it would be a dissapointment :cry:
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,162
    ...was in reality a Mitsubishi 3000 GT. The Dodge Stealth almost paced the 1992 Indianapolis 500, but there was an uproar over a Japanese car pacing the "Great American Race." A prototype Dodge Viper was used in its place.
    Wow !!!!.....I did not know that.

How of you Ford fans would like to see a 5.0 V-8 return ?????
    GM made a return of the 327 in the 5.3 a.k.a. LS-4 :blush:

I would think a (Modern 5.0) would be great for auto sales at Ford. I heard rumor of one being developed about 8-12 months ago. Did it die ????
    We are FINALLY starting to make quality vehicles. The American car companies need to make something with "driving passion" something that drives like a BMW 3 series with all the handling capabilities. That segment has not been really touched by a domestic company. I hope GM will finally try to compete in it with the new G8. This market could be a high volume area for the Big 3. I personally don't consider the FWD Grand Prix GTX a "real player". :(

Quality, and Fit and Finish have been met. Technology like Voice Recognition with Navigation, AC Seats, Direct Fuel Injection, are only a few of the many technologies that the Big 3 need to compete. Not to mention it wouldn't hurt to build a few more platforms with rear wheel drive. ;)
    Rocky
    I could not understand WHY ford didn't drop a better engine in these cars either.
    :( What and who are they trying to compete against ??? The Buick Lucerne or Caddy CTS ???
    I just don't understand why these cars weren't build with more power. They are designed very well. The new Lincoln is my personal favorite out of that platform.

I hope autosales are good for Ford.

The Fusion could of been a player if they would of gave it a bit more power.
    Would you include the unfair Trade as part of the problem ?
This discussion has been closed.