Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda CR-V Towing

1235»

Comments

• l0g1kl0g1k Posts: 9
    I don't know much about the K24 engine differences but in my 2008 car review the Honda CRV and Honda Element both have 166 hp@5800rpm. However, the 2008 CRV is rated to tow 680 kg (1500 lbs) and the Element 907 kg (2000 lbs). Both weight about the same, I really don't know why there is a difference in towing capacity.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,803
    I don't know much about the K24 engine differences but in my 2008 car review the Honda CRV and Honda Element both have 166 hp5800rpm. However, the 2008 CRV is rated to tow 680 kg (1500 lbs) and the Element 907 kg (2000 lbs). Both weight about the same, I really don't know why there is a difference in towing capacity.

Probably because Element is only a 4 seater, while CR-V is a 5 seater. I wonder if the total loading capacity is the same for both vehicles.
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,345
    Somewhere I read recently that trlr towing gross weights (the weight of the trlr and its cargo {payload}) actually was supposed to include the weight of the payload of the car. i.e. If the car was allowed to carry 850lb incl all its passengers and luggage, then you deduct that from the (let's say,1500lb) trlr towing limit, which would reduce the gross weight of the trlr and its load to only 650lb. I am going to see if I can find whether that is the wording or not in the OM. If it is worded that way, then they are just trying to allow themselves wiggle room to get out of a wty claim if the particular claim was deemed due to overloading. It would just be a protection measure of conservatism, because they know human nature is to push the envelope always.
    edited April 2010
    Ok, here is the real poop taken from my OM.

Total weight the car can move up the road is 2200 lb. (plus its own weight of course, which is apprx 3600 lb).

Total weight the car can carry including driver is 850 lb. (it does not elaborate regarding fuel weight so it can be assumed that you may have a full tank also) Gross weight of car only and its occupants is 4450 lb.

Total weight the car can tow including weight of trailer itself is 1500 lb.
    Ideal weight distribution of trlr load is to have 10% of it as tongue weight. This would be 150 lb. That 150 lb is deducted from passenger cargo, so that now becomes only 700 lb.

Elaboration; total passenger and cargo weight limit including the driver and a potential tongue load of a trailer is 850 lb. i.e. Weight limit in or on the car is 850 lb. If you are towing a trailer of maximum weight then the ideal tongue load will be 150 lb. This 150 lb will reduce interior cargo and passenger weight limit to 700 lb.

It also goes on to say that any trailer gross weight exceeding 1000 lb requires that the trailer has its own brakes. So Honda is suggesting that the max allowable weight the car could be going up the road with and being able to stop safely without extra brakes on a trailer is only 1700 lb. That 1700 lb consists of all passengers, all cargo, all tongue weight, all weight in a trailer and the trailer weight itself.

Naturally there are drivers of varying skill levels. Some are also skilled at levels that can even include trailer towing (which should never be taken for granted). And some will be better trlr towers than others also. So some of us (I drive tractor trailer and have stayed out of trouble for a couple million miles) could manage a bit more weight than Honda's stated capacities and still be relatively safe. But if you exceed the limits by very much, then you increase wear and risk on all drivetrain components to a level that might exceed normal life expectancy. Smooooth, is key. Every action you perform behind the wheel should be both previously anticipated, (your interaction on the road with other users should be anticipated and defensive...look for what can or might go wrong and drive accordingly and make allowances prior to it becoming and urgent action) and smooth.
  • hd2hd2 Posts: 15
    I have a 2007 CR-V. I am moving away (distance around 1200 miles) . I am going to visit my local U-Haul and was wondering if anyone knew what type of trailor i could use. I was told that I could get a 5x10 trailor but I think it maybe to much. I have aound 20 uhaul boxes (med to large) about 4 of these boxes will be put in the back of the cr-v. I will leaving from Florida and have to travel through Virginia.

Any advice would be great

I am going to put on a hitch. 2000lbs or 3500lbs hitch. only a 50 dollar difference between the two.

Replies to this message:
    edited April 2010
    See post above #135. All the info you need is there, just insert the figures that are applicable to your car since they may be dif from 07 to 05 generation.

Then you need to get the weight of the U Haul trlr you choose, and weigh the tongue.
    Then you load it. As you load it, set a pc of thick plywood over your bathroom scale to protect it from the concentrated weight of the tongue jack on the trlr. This will tell you the weight as you load. Follow the directions in your OM as it elaborates in telling you how to load the trlr and the progression as you load. The closer you get to the centre of the trlr axle and then any load cantilevered aft of the axle will lighten an initially heavy tongue load.

As for hitches, I doubt those are weight-distribution hitches. i.e. they have the ability to force some of the weight atop the front axle of the car also. They do this with special hitch and trlr tongue parts. If the 50 extra dollar one is W_D'g and IF the U haul comes with that type tongue ability also, then go with that hitch for sure.

Don't forget about the potential need for brakes on the U Haul if the weights apply. Again, is all explained above and in your OM.
    Simply weigh your parcels in the the vehicle. All the info u need is in 135 above.
    (Just so you know, no matter what you do, your 07 CRV is not designed to tow 3500lb 1200 miles, no matter how skilled or what hitch assembly you choose).

Safe trip.
    As I posted previously, the trailer I used to move my girlfriend was a 5x10 closed trailer (as seen on the picture). If you plan to carry a lot of heavy stuff, I woulnd't consider using it. We had a lot of dishes and books witch adds a lot of weight.

As for the hitch, I'dd get the 3500 lbs, it's better to be safe than sorry... The 3500 lbs will also be better if you ever plan to put a bike rack with a few bikes.
  • motoguy128motoguy128 Posts: 146
    I also believe the Element has a shorter final drive ratio and the chassis design and brakes may be designed to accomidate a higher total gross vehcile weight and higher tongue weight.

I'd say tongue weight and gear ratios are the biggest factors.
  • davidefdavidef Posts: 3
    thanks for advice. I had a 3500lbs hitch installed and was told that the only trlr i can get from Uhaul is 4x8. it does not come with its own brakes. i think the bigger trailors do, i do not know. There is no way I would pull 3500lbs. i love my crv tomuch.

I have 13 uhaul boxes (4.5 cubic ft per box). i am guessing that i could take 4 boxes in the back of my cr-v and the rest is the trailor which gives me more room to try and get some sort of even playing field with the trialor. i have 2 friends helping out who have used trailors before and travel long distances. I was told that i may need "special" mirrors but everyone i have spoken with, do not use it but state use common judgement.
  • davidefdavidef Posts: 3
    thanks. i have 13 (4.5 cubic ft boxes from uhaul). pls a small kids bed from ikea )my mags box wieghts more than this bed), if i add some boxes in my back area, could it help me when twing? never did this before so any advice would be great. I plan on taking 95 for most of the way since it better for my little crv than taking i75.
    Personally I would load the trailer before loading the CRV. If you balance the load of your trailer so you get around 10% of the load on the tongue it will be easier to tow and more stable than if you put the boxes in the CRV.

For example, a collegue of mine was using a Toyota Thundra to tow laminate floring. He had 2 pallets to bring. He was at the store and saw this incredible sale so he put the first pallet in the truck bed. The suspension was loaded and the mud flaps were rubbing when he would hit a bump. He says the truck was really unstable. He then hooked up is trailer and picked up the second pallet and he says he brought the pallet home with no problem at all.
  • What about a 2006 CRV. We have a falcon roadmaster installed and can tow all four wheels down, however, still do not know if it racks up miles on the odometer ..., I assume, not.
1235»