Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda6 vs Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• You don't remember the Toyotas of the 60's and 70's in the US? They were very badly made. "Made in Japan" was synonomous with junk. It took quite a few years for them to improve. I am glad they did because the competition is welcome. Also Hyundai has risen to 7th in the world now in sales number way faster than any other company. People are seeing the over priced status of Honda and Toyota and responding to it. GM and Ford did not fall overnight and neither will Honda and Toyota but at the rate they are going they will indeed fall.
  • And too, more recently, Toyota's engines have had a serious propensity to build up sludge I would not buy one. I considered the Honda but no Toyota!
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Could you please stop taking these discussions wildly off-topic? We're discussing the Mazda6 and the Sonata here, not Toyota's sludge issues nor "Made in Japan" nor GM nor Ford nor any of these other extraneous subjects you are dragging in here.

Feel free to find appropriate discussions on our News & Views board for these comments but please stop trying to take all of these sedans discussions way off topic.

Thank you.
  • I am sorry. I knew my beating was coming.
  • blnewtblnewt Posts: 27
    Hyundai's track record has improved over the past few years but they still have terrible resale values and very suspect long term durability...with so many proven quality carmakers available I wonder why somebody would take a chance?

Well, I guess I'm willing to take that gamble, and since we're talking odds here, I like my chances of having my vehicle covered by a warranty for the entire time I'm paying on the car (plus a few extra years to boot). Not saying it's likely to happen, but if a CamCord happens to poop out after 4 years~tough luck. As far as resale values go, you've got solid evidence about the past, but the future is looking much better for Hyundai, so their resale values should improve significantly.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    No beating, just a "sit down and lissen up" ... :D ;)
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    Though I don't agree with your thinking I understand where your coming from. I like Alfa's, so I know all about less than perfect track records...LOL
  • autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    stockmanjoe said: Consumer reports rated Sonata the car with least problems here is the article...
    http://english.busanilbo.com/bin/newsLoader.php?NO=6568&newsClass=Business

The Busan Ilbo to which you link seems of questionable authority since they do not realize that the magazine is called Consumer Reports.

If you actually check the Consumer Reports website you'll note that the car is not recommended. See: New Cars: Ratings A to Z and look for the entry.
  • ontopontop Posts: 279
    Things have changed (again) and Korean cars are far better than Japanese cars.

C'mon man. Far better than Japanese cars? You must either work for Hyundai or your wife's father does.....

I'll bet you your favorite cannabis (explains your blurting) 95% of consumers would reverse your blather and say Japanese cars are far better than Korean.

Me, I like em both. Still think Japanese are "more better".
  • blnewtblnewt Posts: 27
    Things have changed (again) and Korean cars are far better than Japanese cars.

I think it's safe to say the majority of Japans' products are superior to the Koreans. However, Hyundai is really on an excellerated learning curve and it does match or exceed the quality of some Japanese vehicles, and the Sonata is really on the doorstep.
    To say Korean cars are far better than Japanese models is quite an exaggeration though :)
  • I would say that Hyundai is going through something like its Korean Cousin Samsung.

Sony was IT in electronics, but now Samsung is knocking down their door. This is a good example of a Korean company overtaking a Japanese company, and I think Hyundai will definitely succeed in their quest.

For the record I think Hyundai has better reliability than Mazda, and definitely better than Ford. I do think that the Mazda 6 looks kick a**!

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Reliability.aspx?year=2005&make=Hyundai&model=- Sonata&trimid=-1&src=VIP&tab=6&sub=-1
  • Shouldn't this be a discussion on comparing the Mazda6 and the Sonata and not a bunch of people guessing whether the Korean cars are better or worse than the Japanese cars? With cars, or anything we buy for that matter, it's just a crap shoot. You can go buy a Toyota and get a lemon and claim that Toyota is making a bunch of crappy cars, but at the same time buy a Ford and never have a single problem with the car. It's really your luck. Besides, both of these cars are American built -- does that make any difference? Is the Mazda6, which has a Ford engine and is built in the U.S. actually a Japanese car?

I think both of these cars will hold up fairly well for the most part, but on the average, neither will probably standout one way or the other.
  • Do you think quality is part of the equation when comparing the Sonata to Mazda 6?
  • Quality is part of buying anything, but this forum's turning into bunch of people on their butts making blind guesses, so how helpful is it for anyone who's trying to decide which car to buy?
  • Dude what are you somking? The Sonata is a reliable car, but Hyundai also makes other models that aren't so reliable. I know you want Hyundai to succeed I do to but when it's all said and done Ford is still more reliable than Hyundai.
    http://www.jdpower.com/pdf/2005089.pdf
  • Ford has better quality than Hyundai????? - don't get me started!!!!!!!!
  • LOL! My college days are long past! LOL! Yes for instance Hyundai cars do not experience the sludge buildup you will find in Toyotas for instance. This is a tough paradigm shift to take and I full understand that - it will take time.
  • just so you know the jd power surveys are not accurate at all. i have worked with the jd power surveys for about 7 years and i can tell the one thing they aren't is accurate.
  • autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    i have worked with the jd power surveys for about 7 years and i can tell the one thing they aren't is accurate.
    Do you mean you worked for the company, JD Power, or just used their surveys for seven years?

Could you give some inaccuracies that you found?
  • fitguyfitguy Posts: 222
    This thread has gotten quiet; how bout this: anyone have a lot of miles on either a Mazda6 or a Sonata (would have to be the previous generation Sonata, of course). Would be interesting to compare notes. I only have 20K on my 6S but so far, 0 problems. 20K doesn't really mean much, IMO- 75K plus tells a better story.
This discussion has been closed.