Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda6 vs Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    Let's back up and take a breath, okay? You may not have noticed, but that post is six months old. And regardless of who the parent company of the Mazda is, this is a comparo between the 6 and the Sonata, not a discussion about Ford reliability, or lack thereof. I'm sure there are discussions over in Automotive News about Ford the manufacturer - Browse by Board on the left side of the page will get you there easily.
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    I sold Fords in the very late 90's (hate to admit it, for three years). Quality and reliability were never an honest selling point

Based on your statement, I would say you have a credibility issue...
  • cajuncyclercajuncycler Posts: 172
    I just have to chime in here. My son and his wife own a Mazda 6. Nice car, I've driven it. I love the red lit instrument cluster. However compared to my Sonata it does ride crudely rough. The seats are hard and I don't care for the material the seat surfaces are done in. My son has sat in my car but he hasn't yet driven it. I thought I saw a hint of jealousy in his eye though when I showed it to him. My daughter has a 2004 Dodge Stratus and she has driven the Sonata and really likes it over her car. Her only comment was that the light colored seats would show grunge quicker with her kids than the black interior she has in the Stratus. The Mazda 6 my son has had some mechanical issues though I cannot remember the specifics. The dealer he bought from has been a pain to deal with and he wishes he had bought somewhere else but I think overall he is happy with the car. It too has a 4 cyl. engine in it but it is a peppy 4. One thing I did note, he is a cop and drives a 2004 Chevy Impala police cruiser and I have to say I have ridden in it and the Sonata seems to have every bit the same or more interior space than his Chevy police car does. That impresses me.
  • doanejdoanej Posts: 11
    maybe its time to check the new ratings that jd power just put out. maybe it will make some rethink hyundai (ahead of the [non-permissible content removed] makers, verrrrry interesting.....).....
  • zzzoom6zzzoom6 Posts: 425
    hyundai level of quality has been impressive of late, but it's worth putting this into perspective...per 100 cars, I think hyundai was found by JD Power to have around 200 problems, while Mazda was reported to have around 240. so having .4 more problems per car for a car that is quite a bit more fun to drive is worth it to me!
  • joe97joe97 Posts: 2,248
    Fun to drive for me as well!!

Anyway, I am pretty sure the other poster was referring to the IQS from JD Power (measuring initial quality), of which Hyundai finished 3rd amongest all nameplates.

I believe you were referring to the VDS from JD Power, which measures three years old vehicles (so from 2003). And actually Mazda finished just ahead of Hyundai but both below industry average.

Should the historical trends hold up, Hyundai should do very well in the 2009 VDS (measuring 2006 vehicles).
  • chikoochikoo Posts: 3,008
    "However compared to my Sonata it does ride crudely rough."

Love the ignorance. The Mazda6 is tuned to drive "firmer" than a grandma's comfort couch.

The (new) sonata is a good car, but the two cannot be compared when it comes to ride quality. Different demographics.
  • bobadbobad Posts: 1,587
    I drove and liked the Speed6, but it got vetoed. The Secretary of the Treasury said it was too noisy and rough. :(
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    Did you also try a regular (non-speed) Mazda6?
    Yes, same verdict.
  • My final two contenders, after looking at Camry and Legacy, were the 2007 Sonata SE V6 automatic (no 5-speed is offered with the V6) and the 2006 Mazda6s V6 5-speed. On paper, it seemed that the Sonata offered the better value (though it was close), and in the back of my mind I thought it was the one I would buy. Then came the test drive. I thought the Sonata was a very fine car, and I loved the space. But the Mazda6 - man, that thing stole my heart. I love the seats, the sound of the V6, and the confidence-inspiring handling. The Sonata was a car I would have been satisfied to own; the Mazda6 is a car I am thrilled to own - and drive. You can't go wrong with these two, you just have to figure out which one feels right to you.
  • See, it just goes to show you that it is so wonderful there is a broad spectrum of cars to choose from. This way everybody gets what they want! :)
    Coincidentally, the Mazda Speed6 and Sonata were the 2 finalists. Stick shift was out, so we drove the automatic. We really liked the Mazda, but the verdict was clear: The ride was too harsh, and the cabin too noisy. I would be disingenuous if I said the price was not a factor. We still enjoy our Sonata. Not a squeek, rattle, or glitch of any kind... save for a rear suspension noise heard only on extremely rough streets.
  • I had been looking for a new car for a while. I looked at the Sonata V6 and even had the opportunity to rent one. My opinion of it was that it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but it was still bad. It had horrible narrow seats, it had an ugly dashboard with fake wood, and it is not in the same league of refinement as the 6.

It rode a little smoother than the 6 but it did not track well. I had to pay attention to it every instant and recheck the steering to keep it from drifting. The Mazda 6 drives like its on rails. The engine was powerful but the torque steer was pronounced. There is torque steer in the 6, but it is under control. The higher center of gravity of the Sonata makes the Hyundai feel like its going on two wheels around curves while it may not really be. I think the high narrow seats add to this affect.

The Mazda is a hoot to drive. It is capable but more importantly it FEELS capable. This car inspires confidence with its cornering ability and fantastic brakes. I seriously looked at the Hyundai, but I feel like they still have some catching up to do.
  • My experience was the same. Overall I thought the Sonata was a good car, but, particularly in the driving experience, it couldn't compare. Like you, I love that the Mazda6 stays firmly planted and goes exactly where you tell it - "like its on rails" is a great way to describe it. At one point when test driving the Sonata I detected some steering wheel shudder, but it may have been the stretch of road. Regardless, the Mazda6 is steady and smooth, even at very high speeds. And though the seats of the Sonata provided more passenger room, they weren't as comfortable as the Mazda.
  • zzzoom6zzzoom6 Posts: 425
    had a chance to rent a sonata b/c of a business trip and came away with a good idea of what that car is about. very good engine, good brakes. suspension was pretty good; a bit smoother ride than the 6 (the sonata was louder on big bumps though), but not buick soft either. body lean was pronounced in braking, accelerating, and turning which reduced my confidence in handling. steering was a bit more vague; thought the 6 was far superior in this area. seats weren't very comfortable; right leg would go numb after 15 minutes (if I tried to tilt the seat forward, the slippery leather would have me sliding forward) and very little lateral support when cornering. liked the sliding center console. driving with the moonroof open had much less turbulence than the 6. tranny in full auto mode was good, in manumatic mode downshift lag was too pronounced. highway driving was quieter, city driving a wash.

one of the best rental cars I'd ever rented, but for my wants, I'd take my 6 over it in a heartbeat.
  • whisper1whisper1 Posts: 50
    Undecided on loaded Sonata V6 or loaded Mazda6 V6 :(

Sonata: no HID
    Mazda6: no stabiliby control, no factory MP3, less backseat width, more money

Since the redesigned 08 Mazda6 will show up in Sept. Do you think any huge discount on the 07 at that time :confuse:

Anyone know the current CAN discount for the Mazda6 GT V6 less the NAV (this is the top model in Canada) and the top Sonata V6?

Is the 07 Sonata V6 engine use a timing chain or belt?
  • rhduke00rhduke00 Posts: 129
    Timing chain
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    My undertanding is the new '08 design is now going to be an '09 and come out in spring of '08.

Regarding the price difference, I think that depends on what kind of incentives the manufacturer is giving and how well they are selling. I got about a $5000 discount from MSRP ($2000 was rebates) on a 6 and know of others who got a similar discount. With that kind of discounting, I'm not so sure that the Sonata has a price advantage.

In any year leftovers will likely have bigger rebates and discounts, but then selection is limited...so the value of waiting for the leftovers depends on how set you are on getting exactly what you want vs. getting a better price.

For me the Mazda6 was preferable to Sonata due to more comfortable seat and telescoping wheel (which is not on the lower trim level Sonatas). In addition, I prefer the sportier handling and looks of the 6.
  • chikoochikoo Posts: 3,008
    http://www.mazda.com/publicity/release/2007/200706/070612.html

Mazda Awarded First Place in Auto Bild Magazine’s “Quality Report” for the Third Year Running

HIROSHIMA, Japan— Auto Bild, Germany’s largest car magazine, has ranked Mazda in first place in its highly respected “Quality Report” for 2007, which was published on June 8. This was the third straight year that Mazda has been awarded first place in this annual report.
This discussion has been closed.