Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series Run Flat Tires

Comments

• Well the RFTs on my MINI used to sound like Maria Callas on a bad day. :P
  • Oh My! That is the most alarming bit I have heard in so far on the topic. Let me recommend to restore your auditive sensory perception by listening to the Lucia di Lammermoor on EMI classic label or 'The very best of Maria Callas' or the more recent release by EMI classics 'The very best of Maria Callas'. There is still nowadays a good reason to believe the attribute "La Divina" bestowed on her was absolutely deserved. Make sure you buy the CDs, any digital compression cannot capture the 'dynamic qualities and timber' of such voice.
  • I'm a newby to BMWs and am picking up my first one next week. Was doing a little research on the RFTs that it has and am now concerned with the negative comments I've seen (most are dated a few years).
    1. Are there still reliability / performance issues with the run flat tires?
    2. Any thoughts on the tire/wheel warranty that BMW offers? 5 yrs for about $1500.
    Any advice is appreciated.
  • They are reliable for not getting a flat, but they will get really loud as they wear out. Too expensive, my Bridgestones only lasted 15k, pure trash.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,206
    The primary concern I have with the RFT concept is the ability to get them replaced or (rarely) repaired in the hinterlands. These tires seem to be made with the assumption that when one needs replacement there's a place just down the street who will do the work. In my part of the world, that's most assuredly not the case. Getting them repaired, by the twelve shops on the planet who are willing to do so, isn't especially straightforward either.

If you live in one of the overcrowded areas on the coasts and rarely travel very far you'll probably think they're okay, but expensive.

If not. . .
  • the fact that the insurance is now $1500 says it all. i think it was originally $350 and has gone up and up. can be only one reason....the tires suck. just got a 335 and will change out the rft to a regular tire and will buy the spare kit.
  • The answer to your first question varies with where you drive your vehicle and the brand of the RTF mounted on the car you are purchasing.
    Most of the complaints in this post refer to the Bridgestone RTF, others have had better experience with other brands/models
    Also if roads you tend to drive are not in good conditions with lots of uneven surfaces and potholes I would suggest not to go RTF.
    Lastly, should you get your car with RTF I would definitely go with tire/wheel insurance coverage.....just ask for a 3 years coverage, the 5years does not make much sense since it is unlikely that you will not be changing them later than 3 and the insurance is on the specific tires installed on the car at time of purchase. When you will replace them you will have the option to sign up on additional coverage if that will make sense.
    In my experience the insurance pays off big time with RTF, but as pointed out by others, I paid only $350 for my policy (5 years, but basically used it for 3 before changing to non RTF tires).
    I hope this helps
  • and what happens when you get a spike in ur tire, you are 3 hrs away from ur destination that happens to be a very important engagement and dont have time to find a tire store to replace it? like what happened to me and i missed a very important meeting. a spare tire is a good idea.
  • Don't buy in. RFTs are a waste.
  • dino001dino001 Tampa, FLPosts: 3,427
    If I offered you a set of four brand new tires and one new rim right now, would you buy it and put it in your garage for next five years? That's how much $1500 would buy you. Thanks, but no thanks...

2012 BMW 328i wagon, manual and sports package. No. sold in the US: 1. Probably.

• I agree with you.....RFT are not lucky charms useful to fend off bad luck, because your case is definitely off the chart in terms of bad luck. Perhaps, I should have started at RFT 101.....the technology is a safety one aimed at avoiding tire blow-ups. It may marginally improve certain handling characteristics since the walls of the tire itself are thick enough to support the weight of the vehicle and the extra rigidity may help under given conditions. At reduced speed (I believe they are rated up to 50 MPH when deflated/punctured etc) it also allows the vehicle to be operable for a decent mileage (yes I agree no east- to west- coast trip type of mileage). Nuisances abound as well and there is plenty of point raised in that regard in previous posts.
    :)
  • I agree, 5 y and that kind of money are not justified IMO.
  • At least my 328 kept its value, best way to remedy the problem is to get rid of it. Sold it for almost what I paid two years ago.
  • the technology has nothing to do with safety. an act was passed to make cars as light as possible combined with the ridiculously high cafe standards and perrelli and goodyear (i think) developed this tire saving weight on a spare. bmw wont let it go and are into it big time. they also have now put a 4 cyl in a 5 series and new 3 series will be 4 cyl. ideology over performance. ask any dealership (at least on the east coast) and they will tell they have stacks of complaints. supposedly only a problem here. but 101 is having a spare. period.
  • from wikipedia:

"A run-flat tire is a pneumatic vehicle tire that is designed to resist the effects of deflation when punctured, and to enable the vehicle to continue to be driven at reduced speeds (up to 90 km/h or 55 mph), and for limited distances of up to 100 miles (160 km), or even 200 miles (320 km) depending on the type of tire."

Now if you are in a situation where having the last word is a must have...fine.... I will certainly not reply to random text that has no substance. And let me be clear is perfectly fine to use posts to vent some frustration...what I am arguing is your 'reinterpretations of facts that are obvious enough ....to be even in a simple wikipedia description... Incidentally in the same wikipedia description the possible performance gains are briefly discussed.
    Take care and wish you only good things...
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,446
    I'm with Steve on this one.

US FE standards and legal acts have little effect on non USA sold cars, yet the Germans get the same run flats and no-spare option that we are served up.

Must not be too big of an issue to BMW... Their sales continue to set records each year.
  • srs_49srs_49 Posts: 1,394
    Must not be too big of an issue to BMW... Their sales continue to set records each year

No question about that. Selling a lot to soccer moms and trophy wives who want to look good behind the wheel ;) . Those are the ones for whom the argument about "not having to worry about changing a flat on a dark country road" is targeted.

A lot different than the driving enthusiast's market of 20 or 30 years ago.
  • bmw definitely could care less. its their green mantra. what about the blowout on the dark country road and there is no spare? i would rather have the spare. what about when the tire light goes on when you have a 5 hour drive? and believe me the tire light goes on all the time. i guess one must forget about plans and get to a tire store that has run flats (and make sure you drive 50 mph and find a store within a 100 miles). trophy wives? how about because they are a great deal and maintenence is included. trophy wives? really?
  • Exactly ----"fear marketing". Works well, too.

I'm waiting for an automaker to have a commercial for AWD with a zombie wielding a dagger behind the car as a hapless person tries to spin out of a ditch during a rainstorm.

Volvo, Saab and Subaru have all sold a lot of cars in the past using this "danger" approach.

Not that we don't all want "safe" cars, but of course in reality, no car is "safe"--some are just less dangerous than others.

If RFT didn't suffer damage so easily I might feel differently but they seem vulnerable, just like regular tires, only in different ways.
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,446
    MB has also ad ads recently using the "danger" approach, with allegedly real drivers telling stories like " I didn't even the car stopped ahead, but luckily my Mercedes did....".