Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series Run Flat Tires

Comments

• Good question, thank you for making me consider that. OK, so if I need to keep run flats, is there one brand/type/model that's better than another? It's got Continental ContiProContact tires on there now...

Thank you again for your reply, my apologies for my delay in responding.
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,644
    I threw my MINI's RFTs over a fence and put on a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE760s, and am very pleased. It's like someone switched cars on me overnight. I can't say yet about how they will wear, however, but over 10K so far and no problems.
  • skinhealerskinhealer Posts: 33
    edited June 2012
    Hello all,

I have about 60K on my 328XI 2008 model and got my state inspection and they stated I needed by tires changed but not urgent was wondering if anybody can guide me for a new set of tires.

Presently have bridgestone, heard conntenental is good but not sure at all. My car has run flat tires.

Hoping to get good long lasting tires and fairly smooth. Don't mind spending money if they last long and are smooth.

Thank you,
  • dino001dino001 Tampa, FLPosts: 3,428
    I assume you have size 225/45/R17 (it is important, because not all sized are avaialable with all tire models). I also assume you are looking for all-season tires. You probably have previous generation of Bridgestones (most likely Turanza EL42 RFT). Tirerack tested newer RFT all season model, whish is 960 (they did it against the EL42 and non-RFT version of 960) and they really liked it - much quiter, much better grip etc. Continental has three models: ContiSportContact 2 and 3 SSR (those are summer UHP - are not design to last) and ContiProContact SSR, which are all-season - heard some good things about those. There are also Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS - those are brand new, so no tests available.

Go to tire rack, read a little and you get an idea. If wear is your primary concern, look for UTQG rating (rating directly related to treadwear) of 400 and above. Advantage of Contis and Bridgestones 960 they have AA traction rating. Yokos have only single A rating, but in your case it may suffice, as it seems you get an outsised mileage on your tires (must be driving really gently).

2012 BMW 328i wagon, manual and sports package. No. sold in the US: 1. Probably.

• runningdocrunningdoc Posts: 32
    Hey there... my 335i Sport came with Bridgestone Protenza RFTs 22540R18 Front, 25535R18 Rear... The rear tires are coming close to wearing out and it is time to think of replacement. I did some quick searching at tire rack, which list both RFTs, and GFTs. A few questions as I research:

1) The rears wore quicker than the front (about 30K on the rears) and the protenza has very poor treadwear rating (140). In fact, they were not driven in the winter as I have winter tires and rims. There is a Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP which has a better tirewear (220 vs.140) and better traction (AA). While they are more on tirerack, they are still significantly less than the dealer. Has anyone tried the Michelin tire on the 335i/325i, and if so, what was your experience?

2) A question that has been asked repeatedly, but I will pose it again, has anyone switched from RFTs to GFTs, and is there any concern in switching one axle at a time? The GFTs have considerable advantages in tirewear over the RFTs. I believe the GFTs are still superior in performance (handling, noise, and wear) vs. the RFTs.

3) If switching to GFTs, I assume people are carrying slime or a repair kit as the backup plan?

4) If you have switched to GFTs in this 3 series, have you suggestions of the tire you switched to and your impressions of the tires?

Thanks for any suggestions, thoughts, etc.
  • runningdocrunningdoc Posts: 32
    Scratch question number 2... can only replace the OEM RFTs in complete sets...
    I wouldn't put too much weight on treadware ratings...some consideration, but less than you'd think.

for one thing, this rating is a RATIO, not mileage based. So tire A has twice the ratio of tire B, but if they are driven under different conditions, then they might end up wearing out at the same time.

Also, the ratings are put on the tires by the manufacturers themselves, and they have become more of a marketing tool than the ratings were initially created for.

In short, you'd be better off using the mileage warranty as a gauge of how long the tire will last---the treadwear rating is pretty much not to be counted upon. ( you will often find a tire with a treadwear rating of 400 warrantied for 40,000 miles and another with the same 400 rating warrantied at 60,000 miles---huh?)

PS: The tests performed by tire companies are not actively monitored by the gov't.
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,476
    RE: 1)
    I just passed 10,000 miles in a 2011 335iS [ M Sport suspension ]
    with the Michelins.
    No complaints.
    Even wear.
    Excellent handling.
    - Ray
    One data point....
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,447
    edited June 2012
    Excellent analysis...

One additional point, though...

Tires that are OEM equipment are made to the car manufacturer's specs. That means that, as an example, the Continental ContiProContact tires that came on a Nissan Versa may have a different component makup than a different sized tire of the same Continental make/model/series (this isn't limited to Continental, just an example).

That's one reason you may see mixed tire reviews in which one sized tire gets excellent mileage, and another size tire of the same make/model/series getting nowhere near that mileage.
    My suggestion: spend some time reading tech specs and reviews on www.tirerack.com.

That's a great source of tire info.
    Oh that's quite interesting. I didn't have a clue about that.
  • kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,889
    One other point (courtesy of capriracer)..

Treadwear ratings are not necessarily consistent between manufacturers.. just between tire models within their own brand.

I know... that makes no sense, but nevertheless..

So a 200 treadwear tire from Michelin will have half the treadwear of a 400 tire from Michelin, but might not be the same as a 200 treadwear tire from Bridgestone..

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• capriracercapriracer Somewhere in the USPosts: 785
    '.......One other point (courtesy of capriracer)......."

Sorry, but you've got that wrong.

You CAN compare treadwear ratings between brands because they are compared to the same - standard - tire. The problem is that there can be a lot of games played, so you have to realize the number is not precise.

And the problem exists within brands as well.

So a 200 treadwear tire from Michelin will have about half the treadwear of ANY 400 tire regardless of brand. The operative words here is "about".
    I used the Nissan Versa example because of personal experience. I have 2 daughters, one with an 09 Versa and the other with an 08 Altima. Both cars came equipped with the same series Continental tires.

The Versa tires had no tread left at 30K miles, while the tires on the Altima have over 50K miles, and at this point, I think they'll easily pass 80K miles. There were no alignment issues on either car, which I had verified by a local shop.

Now, some might say that different driving characteristics are at play, and to some extent, that's true. In this case, I replaced the Versa tires with a set of Generals, and with 25K plus miles on that set, they hardly look worn.

If you ever see diametrically opposed tire-wear reviews on sites like www.tirerack.com, this scenario is quite likely the reason for the wide swings and discrepancies. So, even though a particular sized tire in a brand gets exceptional/poor mileage, it may or may not reflect what one would see on a different sized tire of the same brand/series.
    Fact is, the treadware rating started out as a good idea but has morphed into something that is "not what it seems" and so, is only of limited use to the consumer.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,018
    If you want a UHP all season GFT I would suggest the Cooper Zeon RS3-A and the Pirelli PZero Nero All-Season. I've run both tires on BMWs as well as a Mazdaspeed 3 and I've been very happy with their performance and tread life.
    For an inexpensive summer tire that you can also track I strongly suggest the Dunlop Direzza Star Spec. If your car doesn't see the track all that much I like the Michelin Pilot Super Sport- although it is a bit pricey.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• okcloookcloo Posts: 11
    How much did you pay for the Tire warranty? How many years? What tire size?

Thanks!
  • nkeennkeen Posts: 316
    A lot of the comments about wear fail to distinguish between the base tire and the sport package tire, which is very sticky and has a very short life. In my experience the RE050 becomes very noisy long before the tread wears out (around 10K miles on the current set, with plenty of tread left).

As for the concerns about the snow traction of the summer-only sport package tire on a $45,000 car, well, this raises questions about the need for anything beyond a very rudimentary education to do well in today's economy.
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,476
    The Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 Run Flats on the BMW 335iS I am driving [ includes MSport Package ] are 225/40ZR18 fronts & 255/35ZR18 rears.

At 24,000 miles, I perceive no significant increase in noise, so far. Tread is wearing well. The Goodyear Run Flats on the 2007 Corvette I drove for over 30,000 miles were well worn, and noisier, but these Michelins appear better in every aspect.

[[ Living in the Atlanta area, the snow performance is not a high priority for me. ]]
    YMMV.
    - Ray
    For Run Flats, these are the best I have yet encountered . . .