Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series Run Flat Tires

Comments

• circlewcirclew Posts: 8,355
    Bruce,

That's half the price I paid for the one tire at BMW in Eatontown, NJ. Craven obviously has the correct machine for the mag rims.

Thanks!

OW
    Dear Shipo,

I could not rotate my tires today because there is a center lug underneath the BMW logo cap that needs a special tool. The manual did not warn me but advises to buy special tools from BMW.

Can I get this tool anywhere else?

Regards,
    OW
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Ummm, no, I don't think so.

Unless something drastic has changed, there is no central lug anywhere, just the five lug bolts. I suspect that your wheels are simply stuck. Assuming that's the case, all you need to do is to work them a little and off they'll come. Worst case scenario, turn around facing away from the wheel and pop the outer most edge of the sidewall of the tire with your heel, first one side and then the other. The wheel should then come right off.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • pdhvpdhv Posts: 1
    go to your dealer and complain, they can replace them under warrenty if you have less than 20k miles. we are using conti run flats on the e90's now. they are cheaper and a better tire. they may make you buy an alighnment, but still cheaper than replacing out of pocket
  • About 3 weeks ago I replaced my RFTs on my e90 330i with basic Kumho performance tires. My RFTs are now in my garage rafters waiting to be slapped back on the car at lease end.

Since that switch I've noticed:

Ride is quieter
    Car handles uneven pavement and potholes without upsetting chassis
    Handling is sharper - taking corners at much higher speeds
    Road feedback is markedly improved
    Mileage has gone up
    Acceleration feels different (won't say faster, just different)
    Car overall feels more nimble, more point and shoot

Essentially, ditching the RFTs I am reminded of my 03 330i ZHP but the e90 with non-RFTs handles even better.

Anyone unhappy with RFTs, I strongly suggest you consider putting real tires on the car. The change is marked and all for the best...
  • cbanctcbanct Posts: 17
    Has anyone tried using Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires ?
    Michelin's website lists them as options for the 330i. They are not runflats though so that can be a problem.

cbanct
  • Why would it be a problem? RFTs = garbage that compromise ride, handling and performance.

Many folks on bimmer boards have switched to Pilot Sports. The e9x's suspension is FAR better with real tires.
    Hey Blue, I'm very much enjoying your experience with your new GetsFlat Tires (GFTs) as it can be used as vindication of sorts to some comments that I made here in the TownHall just prior to the release of the E90. In those comments I opined that the ride and handling of the E90 would be vastly improved by the reduction of unsprung tire weight via the simple process of putting real tires on the car instead of the heavy/sluggish RFTs.

The funny thing is that I was immediately shot down each and every time I made such comments because many folks believed the BMW marketing rhetoric claiming that the suspension of the E90 had been "optimized for Run Flat Tires". Ummm, yeah, right. To my way of thinking, a suspension that can effectively cope with RFTs will improve immeasurably with the lighter and more responsive GFTs, I mean, unsprung weight is still unsprung weight no matter how you cut it.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • So if you switch real tires, what are you doing about a spare? A can of fix-a-flat?
  • What happens with a Porsche or an M3 with a flat? They get out their tire repair kit (Tire Rack has the continental kit which is the same as the BMW one). Same here. I've got the continental kit in my trunk.

How often do you get flats?
  • What are you doing about possible flat tires with your non-Run Flats. Are you carrying a spare in your trunk. If so, how do you handle the fact that the front and rear tires on the 3 series cars are a different size?
  • What good is a space saver spare when the 3 series has staggered size tires (bigger in back than in front)? Are you going to carry two space saving spares? I doubt it.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,704
    All the tires are the same diameter.. .top to bottom.. (same overall height)...

So, only one spare needed.. My wife's car has staggered tires and one full-size spare that matches the front exactly, but is an acceptable substitute for the rear, as well... It only differs in width (about an inch).

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

I read an article reccently in Businessweek which was explaining that BMW is a very innovative company. I envision that someone there thought it would be cool to have run flat tires and no spare. I think it is much cooler to have a full size spare like the one in my Passat !

I am thinking of buying a 335i next year. I will definetely be switching out the runflats with Michelin Pilots if I get it. I guess I will have to get the tire repair kit as mentioned in the posts above, instead of a spare taking up some of the trunk.

cbanct
    I have not seen any mention of problems with the run flat tires on Edmunds long term road test of the 330i. Emails to the editors have not prompted an answer to this.
    Are they having issues with these tires or not ?

cbanct
  • The editors seem to think BMW can do no wrong. I would gladly let Edmunds' editors try out my 330i ZSP with non-RFTs back to back with their long-term 330i ZSP. We have near identical cars - save for mine has normal tires. One drive or even ride usually convinces people there's a major difference.
    Blue,

What is the weight difference rft to gft that Shipo refers to? I know the RFT I have off the rim has very thick side walls.

I assume performance difference is true as you have first-hand and seat-of-the-pants expierience.
    For the non-SP cars that run 225/45 R17 tires all around the difference is fairly significant. I just checked the weight of the Continental ContiSportContact 2 tires in both GFTs and RFTs, and the RFTs outweigh the GFTs by a whopping 27%. Yikes! Said another way, the aforementioned tires carry the following weights:

RFTs: 28 pounds
    GFTs: 22 pounds

I know that six pounds per corner may not sound like much, however, slung way out on the end of the axle and way out there beyond the wheel, that's a LOT of weight.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • owner6owner6 Posts: 89
    Would our HOST from Edmunds please respond to this!!!!!!

Owner6