Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series Run Flat Tires

Comments

• jlbljlbl Posts: 1,333
    … came mounted on a brand-new 335d coupe with sport suspension bought two months ago. About 3,500-mile wear up now. Flawless. Excellent grip. Little noise, no harsh ride (in absolute terms and as compared to my previous ride on 5-Series with Michelin Pilot and Pirelli Nero Zero non-RFT tires).

Regards,
    Jose
  • circlewcirclew Posts: 8,388
    Jose, do you have the BS or Continentals?

Regards,
    OW
    Bridgestone Potenza RE50A II RFT tires. I had no other option left when I bought the car.

I have read about cups as well as noise and harsh ride on BS RFTs after, say, 10,-15,000 miles. But I have also be told that that was when they were made of a bad rubber compound before 2006 ;) . Time will say if my BS will age without being a nuisance. I have read too that, given those tires are directional, the noise may increase substantially after wrongly performed tire rotations.

Until now they are great, both on dry and wet pavement. They are summer tires, yet I drove them a couple of times on mountain-road salted asphalt in freezing weather with still good grip (not that I had asked them too much under such a condition).

Regards,
    Jose
  • upnorth2upnorth2 Posts: 12
    As I mentioned in a previous post,a BMW dealer overcharged my wife for two run flat tires. ( $780 ) In BMW's defense, the dealer called a couple days after the event checking on my satisfaction with my recent visit to the dealer. I let them have it and ranted and raved about being over charged and ripped off. The poor woman during the survey was silent but promised to send my comments along. Today the dealer called and apologized for the error. They are sending me a check for $400. They said it was a clerical mistake and humbly apologized. They are off my s_ _ t list . I still dont like run flats. But BMW is great.
  • par721par721 Posts: 14
    Can anyone tell me whether the factory rims on the 3-series will accept non-RFT tires or are they specially made to only run on RFT tires? I want the car, but the tires are a big issue...thanks!
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    No worries, you can put regular GFTs on any RFT shod BMW, and the only thing you'll be required to change is the air used in the tires. ;)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Thanks for your reply! What do you mean by "shod BMW?"
    Sorry, I grew up on a farm and when a horse has shoes it is referred to as being "shod". :blush: So, when I said:

"No worries, you can put regular GFTs on any RFT shod BMW..."

What I really should have said:

"No worries, you can put regular tires (the kind that get flat) on any Run Flat Tire equipped BMW..."

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    No problem and thanks for the clarification!
  • rprice1rprice1 Posts: 9
    I replaced my Bridgetone RFTs on my 2006 325i (with Sport package) with Michelin Sport Pilot PS GFT tires. The switch has produced an incredibly improved ride.
  • johnsamjohnsam Posts: 55
    Well here goes re: "Can I put conventional tires on run flat rims?".
    A QUALIFIED "YES"
    * I recently bought a 2006 330i with RFT's. The car had 25,000 miles on it - bought through a BMW Mercedes dealer on the other side of the Country. I knew that it had RF's and one of the first things I did was go out and buy both a conventional "donut" spare / jack / lug nut wrench. Then the fun began:
    First I checked with a local BMW dealer asking if I would be voinding any warranties by going to Conventionals:-"NO"
    Secondly will all systems (example the tire pressure monitor) run correctly? "YES"
    Third: Are conventionals compatible with the BMW rims on the car? "YES".
    NOW LET ME EXPLAIN FURTHER - - - -While the car only had 25,000 PAMPERED miles on it, the RFT's had been replaced at 20,000 miles by the original owner. Why? They were wearing out. Even when I saw the new tires with only 5,000 miles on them they showed signs of wear. Why? The original tires are Bridgestones with a wera factor of 140. Even $99.00 conventional tires have wear ratings of 200 and up. The ones I favor have a rating of 400. and the cost $800 for a set (staggered sizes back/front on BMW Sport Package) vs. $1,200. for RFT's.
    The only thing I was told by 3 out of 5 local tire dealers was "Buy high performance tires for that car".
    Fourth: I contacted BMW USA through the Owners Circle. They had assisted me in the other BMW still owned so I thought that they would have aknowledge base on this subject. They came back saying that as far as they could determine, no problem with installing conventionals on the BMW rims. They recommended only that the proper valve stems be reinstalled or if the ones in the rims were verily new, leave them in the rims.
    Now to clarify the QUALIFIED YES above. I know nothing but what I learned over the past few weeks which is above. As I am retired I had LOTS of time to research the subject. I am still running the RF's as I mantioned above they have 5000 miles on them. I will however be getting rid of them when the time comes.
    John
    Springfield, OR
    Thanks, John. I appreciate your feedback. My friend Joe is reading this thread discussion now and was about to sign the deal on a new 335 coupe but then decided not to because of all the RFT talk going on. Tell him: Buy the car, Joe! ;-)
  • berkleybmwberkleybmw Posts: 3
    BMW has obviously gotten tired of the constant complaints about their RFT's. In Canada they offer a warranty plan for $894 that covers your tires and rims for 3yrs/100k. You can replace/repair as many tires/rims as necessary. With all the problems these tires have been having, it sounds like a worthwhile investment. I just leased a 335xi coupe and am going to add this warranty package. You would think BMW would give up on these tires. I don't think I have read anything positive about them. Does anyone have anything good to say??????
    Does anyone have anything good to say?

I shall refer my opinion to my posts #1865—#1867 and others around them, on page 94 of this thread. Some more pages ago other poster wrote his very positive experience with RFT when one of them blow up.

Not a great amount of good-saying posters, however.

Regards,
    Jose
  • johnsamjohnsam Posts: 55
    Hey Joe........Buy the car!

Just keep in mind that the RFT's may cost you $1,200.00 to $1,500.00 when you buy the car now. And, they wear out fast (140 wear rating) (check other brands for their wear rating. I did and was very much let down as to what I found). 300+ and up.
    They are part of your new car as the the steering wheel. You no like....replace. They are relatively good riding and I can't complain re the handling. The 1st set on this 330i wnet after 20,000+ miles. Now with 26,000 on the car, slight wear is showing. The total suspension etc. was checked and is OK. So that leads me to believe that the tires are a poor cost cutting step on BMW's part.>>>>NO SPARE / NO JACK / NO TIRES "TOOLS" / NO BODY MODIFICATIONS TO ACCOMODATE A SPARE. BMW probably saved $50.00 while passing the cost of the more expensive RFT's on the the buyer of the Bimmer.

John
    Springfield , OR
  • kenshirokenshiro Posts: 16
    I have a 2006 330i. I drove about 25000 on my turanzas, and its finally time to replace those bad tires.
    If I want to replace a new set of RFT, which one should I get? How about conventional tires?
  • berkleybmwberkleybmw Posts: 3
    Many of the complaints about the tires are on older model cars. Does anyone know what BMW are putting on the 2008 3 series cars now. Have the new tires been improved?
  • rprice1rprice1 Posts: 9
    I have a 2006 325i. Just replaced my Bridgestone Potenza RFTs with Michelin Pilot Sport PS tires. The ride has vastly improved. The car now performs the way I would expect a BMW to perform.

rprice
  • After reading some messages regards to the Bridgestone Turanza Run Flat that came with 2006 BMW 325xi. I strongly agree that these tires are defective. I can not believe BMW will use this kind of tire. only 7k the tire noise start. I brought the car back to the dealer "BMW of Bayside" they told me there was a nail in the tire and since the tire was so new they can "fix it for free" I learn later that the Run Flat can not be fix. Not sure. Anyhow the nose was still there and getting louder as the mileage goes. When it reached 18K I can no longer enjoy the ultimate driving machine. I brought the car to "Manhattan BMW" and complain about the noise. They told me that there was nothing wrong with the tire. They told me Run Flat has harder wall and noise is very common. The noise got worse and so I decided to get new set. I turn to online for research. I came cross some BMW dealer actually pay half of the price for the new set. So I bring the car back to dealership. The dealer refuse to give me any discounts due to my mileage was over 20K. (disregards I complained for few times before it reach 20K) They told me the noise was due to "Feather" condition of the tire. All 4 tires are broken and need to replace and suggest me to go outside dealer for tires. (She told me it's cheaper out there. trying to help me save few $$). If BMW really care about what we think about their car. Don't just call us after the service appointment and ask us to grade the dealership and service advisor. BMW should admit there is a problem with these tires. Lots of 2006 325 model have same issue. BMW should do something about it. Specially to the Dealership that not telling owner the tire can be replace at no cost or at half off before 20K. Going to get Continental ContiProContact SSR next.
  • I bought a 2008 BMW 335i with Bridgetone Potenza Runflat tires. I have not seen such a piece of crap in my life. My car has 8000 (less than a year) miles and have had to replace the tires 4 times. This weekend I had another flat, they seem to blow on the side wall over the sligthest perturbance on the road. I am switching to Pirelli's RFT. Any comments?
  • bobsapbobsap Posts: 14
    I have a 2008 335xi, with Conti RFT's, and have yet to have a problem with respect to flats, wear, etc...for sure, when you hit a pothole, sewer cover etc, its hard, but i have hit a fair share, in addition to a few deep ones, and so far, no problems...

while i would love to get rid of them, and go to regular go-flat tires, no spare, no room for a spare & jack, make it a pain...i did purchase the tire & wheel insurance for my 3-yr lease, just in case...
  • dannys1dannys1 Posts: 7
    Urgent. I picked up my new 2008 BMW 328xi with the Brimstone runflat tires on Saturday. They put pressure on me to buy an $800 insurance policy for my RFT's my 39 month lease and I side stepped the sales pitch. They called me late Saturday and said if I wanted the run flat insurance I could still get it today. I was shocked when I lost 2 GFT tires in the 1st month of my 2005 330xi lease when the Goodyear sidewall blowouts happened. I replaced them at BJ's wholesale club which came with sidewall insurance and never had a problem in 40,000 miles. I did not even know about the RFT situation until I picked up the car on Saturday. Should I tell the dealer to change my tires? I have 100 miles on them. Should I skip the insurance? Should I get the Michelin MV4 GFT and a donut for the trunk?
  • dannys1dannys1 Posts: 7
    Urgent. Please reply. Would you buy the tire insurance if you had it to do all over again? I picked up my new 2008 BMW 328xi with the Brimstone runflat tires on Saturday. They put pressure on me to buy an $800 insurance policy for my RFT's my 39 month lease and I side stepped the sales pitch. They called me late Saturday and said if I wanted the run flat insurance I could still get it today. I was shocked when I lost 2 GFT tires in the 1st month of my 2005 330xi lease when the Goodyear sidewall blowouts happened. I replaced them at BJ's wholesale club which came with sidewall insurance and never had a problem in 40,000 miles. I did not even know about the RFT situation until I picked up the car on Saturday. Should I tell the dealer to change my tires? I have 100 miles on them. Should I skip the insurance? Should I get the Michelin MV4 GFT and a donut for the trunk?
  • For a new set of tires you are going to pay a lot of money. The $800.00 insurance seems cheap based on most of the comments I have read here. The only down side is you will have to take the car in frequently to replace these defective tires. If you have to drive in winter conditions you will also need snow tires. If you buy them from BMW they will be covered under the insurance plan. I can't believe that this problem has been going on for so long. I wonder why is BMW being so stubborn about this issue. They should stock their cars with good tires and get rid of the run flats. I suspect they have some sort of long term financial commitment with Bridgestone and will lose big money if they back out.
    I can tell you it cost me $780 for 4 225/45 Conti RFT A/W tires for my 330xi last month. That is close to what TireRack charges with installation at a recommended local shop.

I would pas on the insurance IMHO.

Regards,
    OW
  • ratso175ratso175 Posts: 1
    tell them to change the tires.And if they won't put the 800$ in a saving account and when the tires need to be changed a new good set will only cost you 500$. You wiil have a left over to fill the tank once, maybe 2xs.
  • rloyderloyde Posts: 4
    I have an 2007 335i. I has the staggered tires. 2 different sizes and both are 18" wheels. Bridgestone is the only RFT they is made. The dealership suggested I replace the bridgestones with continentals. It is a lease. I have to return the car with the original Run Flat Tires (rft). Continental doesn't make a run flat in that size and I replaced the front 2 tires, after 1 year with Fukara 452s. They ride great and don't make noise. I had a rear one go out and had to replace it with the original tire which I bought from the dealer at $377.00. The dealer is the only one who had it in stock and the tire was basically coming apart so I had to buy a replacement.
    If anyone knows of another tire manufacturer that makes a 255/35r18 that is not pirelli or bridgestone i would sure like to know. :mad:
    TireRack is now carrying the new Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP, which is a RFT and is acceptable for a lease return. Unfortunately they ain't cheap ($268 per front tire, and $372 per rear tire), which is even more expensive than the Bridgestone tires. :(

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Heck, it's costing a lot to go 3-series sport these days!

Regards,
    OW
    Only if you insist on keeping RFTs on the car. Per TireRack, a competent set of 4 Yokohama S.drive GFTs (in the proper size for a 335i SP) can be had for $684 plus shipping and taxes. Not too steep, especially when compared to a set of those nasty RFTs. ;)

Best Regards,
    Shipo