Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series Run Flat Tires

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,635
    TRX... they put those on Mustangs, as well.. I think those were all in the '80s..

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,404
    Up to very early 90s I think on Bimmers.

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,635
    Yeah... probably on the E34 M5..

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• That's not any better than a can of fix-a-flat. It even says it will damage the tpm sensors. Not a good alternative.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    I completely disagree. In the unlikely event of a flat, yes, you'll lose the TPMS sensor. So what? Given that RFTs cost a premium over GFTs, the cost of a replacement GFT and a new sensor won't cost you all that much more in the end (assuming you're driving a non-SP vehicle, the RFTs on the SP cars are so much more expensive than their GFT brethren, that a sensor and a new GFT should cost you less than a single new RFT).

Then there's the whole factor of reparability. Unless a GFT has damage to the side wall or within one inch of the shoulder, the tire is usually repairable. On the other hand, many shops and BMW dealerships flatly refuse to repair RFTs due to the possibility of them having been "run flat" and suffering non-visible/internal damage to the sidewalls.

All in all, I'm thinking that if you took one hundred RFT cars and one hundred GFT cars with fix-a-flat cans, and drove them each 50,000 miles, you'd find that the cost of maintaining the tires will be significantly less on the cars with the GFTs.

The one has to ask, what dollar figure are you willing to put on ride and handling? By all accounts, a cheap set of Kuhmos will transform a car from a harsh riding and skittish handling beastie to a well mannered, more comfortable and much faster car (in the twisties that is) than that same car would have been had it still had the factory RFTs on it.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • oriole54oriole54 Posts: 2
    i have a '07 328xi. i just replaced the factory 16s rfts w/ 17" great looking aftermarket wheels without a sensor. is there anyway that i can get rid of the annoying tire pressure idiot light that keeps coming on?

thanks, oriole54
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    As far as I know, no, there's no way you can turn the light off. Your best bet would be to buy some new sensors and have them installed in your wheels.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • oriole54oriole54 Posts: 2
    shipo, thanks for the response. i thought that would be the answer. i'm also noticing that the new wheels and tires are actually louder than the run flats. could i have missed something?

oriole
  • bizunitbizunit Posts: 5
    Hello. I am new to the forum.
    Ive read alot of the posts but not all. Im considering a 2008 BMW 328i sedan (no sport upgrade) for 24 or 36 month lease. Two questions...
    1.) Do the 2008's still have these same tires and huge issues or did they improve?
    2.) Is this tire problem so much an issue to look at other cars in this range? (also considering a Mercedes C300 sport)
    3.) If I go with the BMW and they still have tire problems...should i get the tire insurance or just buy better tires right away (and use theres for return or resale) or just test my luck with the tires that come with it with no insurance.
    THANKS
  • mjbauermjbauer Posts: 19
    I have a 2008 335xi and I don't have any problems with the RFT's. I believe there were problems at one time but it seems to be solved. Now there may be a personal preference for or against RFT's but I don't think there are problems anymore. There are pros and cons but I did not let it bother me. So far I have no regrets after about 3500 mikes on a variety of roads and surfaces and many types of driving. The car is quieter that my 2005 Acura RL at all speeds and is a joy to drive.

I did not get tire insurance and this car is a much better car to drive than a C300. It is more of a driver car, Go out an drive both extensively and pick the one you like. They are both excellent cars and you will enjoy them.

my $0.02 worth, your mileage may vary
  • I have Contintenal RFTs on my 2007 328xi. I have had a few instances where a tire has not held pressure and the dealer cannot find a problem. Three have stopped this behavior but the fourth continues to lose pressure, sometimes within a day and sometimes within a week. Dealer continues to find nothing wrong. The tire have 10,000 miles on them.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what they done about it. Also, a mechanic said I could not just replace the one tire since it will "damage the xDrive". Does this sound correct?
  • bobsapbobsap Posts: 14
    I have 4500 miles on my 2008 335xi coupe, with the Conti RFT tires...i keep 28psi in front & 30 in rear for a smoother ride...so far, so good, albeit as we all know, you feel the bumps, but at 75mph on a free-way, its smoother than my 2005 545...

i have noticed a bit of air leakage, perhaps 1-2 pounds over a couple of week period...the BMW shop forman says its not unusual, just fill them up and check once a week...

i think its nonsense about replacing one tire & damage to the x-drive is "nuts"!!!
  • Thanks for the feedback.

I am glad you have the same feeling about the xDrive. I was thinking it is impossible to be affected by a 1/8th or 1/4th inch difference.

I'll continue to refill that tire for now.
  • rhmassrhmass Posts: 263
    I don't think it is normal for a tire to lose 1 or 2 pounds of air pressure every couple weeks. If indeed it is the case, you need to get the tire checked out, probably not by the BMW dealer service you went to. Make sure you check the tire pressures in the morning before the car was driven to get the correct reading.

As to the replacement of one tire leading to possible damage to the axle, it is true if you already have 10,000 miles on both tires. Check with Mike Miller of Tech Talk at Roundel. He will tell you so.

As an owner of a BMW, you may want to join the CCA. The BMW membership magazine, Roundel, is well worth many times of the membership fee, not to mention the rebate you'll receive when you consider the purchase/lease of another new BMW in the future.
  • janette07janette07 Posts: 1
    I also have the Conti RFT's on my 2007 328xi. I have yet to replace them and have about 19K (orig tires, car purchased 1/1/07). I've definetly hit some hard potholes, but overall, mostly highway miles. Personally, although the taxes are outrageous, central NY takes great care of the roads, so I think thats part of the reason the tire wear/ride has been decent. My only complaint is that there is noise on some road surfaces, but after reading some of these posts, I feel pretty lucky/happy w/ the tires I have.

BTW, tires are: Conti Pro Contact SSR - 225/45R 17 - o I also wanted to add - I have never checked tire pressure or rotated the tires.
  • circlewcirclew Posts: 8,353
    I just bought new Conti's for this 330xi I lease. I rotated the last set front to back, same side every 5-6K miles and never had noise. Wear was extremely even with this approach. Great tire, IMHO.

Regards,
    OW
  • jp900jp900 Posts: 5
    Occasionally folks have mentioned they purchased a spare donut tire with a rim and a jack. If I chose to do this where would be the best place to do so?

Thanks
  • rflrfl Posts: 100
    i bought a full size spare and an extra wheel. I know it takes up a hell of lot of space but with the drop down rear seat in the 335xi it's tolerable. I had a jack left over from my last bmw and it fits nicely in the (inadequate) well. I got the wheel from my bmw dealer ($286) and the tire from tire rack $145. had it put together at my local tire guy ($30). I bungy cord it in the trunk and so far everything fits nicely (luggage for a 2000 mile trip for 2 as well).
  • atechz1atechz1 Posts: 2
    I have major problem with my tires, this is the second set of tires I purchased, a total 8 tires $2500. just brought another one today, 328.00 from Tire Rack. I keep getting side wall damage , Bridgestone Potenza runflat tires are horrible. I also declined the tire insurance, which I now regret, I drive safely avoid potholes and it doesn't matter, still get side wall (bubble) damage, does anyone know if I can replace these RFT with
    regular tires, the car does not have a spare. There is a sensor that tell you when the tire pressure is low, will this work if I remove the RFT, any help is appreciated..
    :lemon:
    thanks
  • larry175larry175 Posts: 68
    bridgestone/firestone same company. dump the run flats and buy a good set of regular tires. save one for a spare in case of flat and be happy.
    caio for now