Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TL vs Infiniti G35 vs BMW 330xi

123457»

Comments

• kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    Have you taken both cars for a test drive? I think the TL would win for fuel economy, but the G35 is more oriented toward sport. If it were me, I would get the TL.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,606
    Hello: I compared/contrasted both cars. Both winners, depending on your criteria, which, sound a bit like mine. The better choice for me was the TL: Smoother, quieter ride, better style inside and out with better materials in the interior (imho, of course). Better fuel economy (both EPA and in discussing with a co-worker who drives an '04 G35x).

Yes, the TL has bi-xenon (HID) headlights with a 4yr/50k miles warranty.

You must drive them both as extesively as possible to make your best decision.

Good luck, have fun and let us know which was the best car for you.

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

• bearvpbearvp Posts: 10
    I am in the market for a used version of one of these types of cars. I cannot afford a BMW 330i after all the bells and whistles I want are added so for me it is between an 05 or newer TL and G35.

From my research and test driving both cars I have found that the interior of the TL is superior to the G35, minus the poor quality of leather in the TL. I am not a huge fan of the auto tranny in the TL as it seems to not shift fast enough when I want it to. The G35 is more fun to drive, but the interior does not seem any better than a regular Nissan. Also, I will have semi-poor road conditions to contend with in the winter and I would have to spring for the X version of the G35 while the FWD of the TL would be fine.

If anyone owns either of these 2 cars could comment on the lasting quality, interior quality (especially the leather quality), winter handling, automatic transmission performance, ground clearance issues for the TL, and overall "It" factor for each I would appreciate it. Thanks
    I have an '05 auto Tl (you are aware you can get a 6 speed manual in the TL, of course...). I have no issue with the leather in my now 19 month old TL, it looks almost new. I treat it with McGuires Leather wipes every so often.

If you live in a snow belt (I'm in Boston area), the TL with the standard tires will not be great in the snow. The larger footprint of the Bridgestone's on my TL combined with the fact that they are just not good in the snow has presented me with some challenges the past couple of winters. If I was using the TL to head to ski country, snows would be mandatory. I won't be a repeat Turanza EL42 customer...

I, too, considered (among others) the G35 and the TL and here is why the TL was the winner for me vs. the G:

Better styling both inside and out.
    Better materials and layout of the interior.
    Smoother, quieter ride (coming from a Chrylser 300M, great car btw, I wanted quieter...)
    Better mpg.
    FWD vs the added weight/complexity of AWD.

I enjoyed the Infiiti's power and handling. But I lean towards the luxury side of the luxury/sports sedan equation.

Good luck, let us know which turns out to be the best car for you!

• habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    I am not a huge fan of the auto tranny in the TL as it seems to not shift fast enough when I want it to.

My TL 6-speed shifts just fine. Nice short throws that are nearly as precise as my former S2000 and much better than the G35 6-speed I tested in 2004. But I am also not at all impressed with the performance of Acura's automatic transmissions. They fall well behind BMW and Mercedes, and even Infiniti and Lexus, IMO. We would gladly have paid extra for a TL style 6-speed in our MDX, had that been an option.

I've heard every excuse why people claim they need an automatic. Most are lame. My wife and I have each been driving 30+ years, live in traffic unfriendly DC and still, with the exception of the MDX, neither of us has ever owned an automatic. If wives can take up golf and tennis, they sure as hell can learn to drive a stick. Heck, my youngest daughter could shift my S2000 from 1st to 2nd and back from the passenger seat when she was 5 (with her left hand). She would tell me when when to push in the clutch. We never went over 20 mph, but that's beside the point.

Unless you have a physical disability, you really ought to consider the TL 6-speed. In addition to a manual transmission, it has exceptional Brembo brakes and a sportier suspension that makes it tighter handling. Just don't order the high performance tire option. The Bridgestone Potenza's are great on dry pavement, but a bit squirmish in the snow.
    I understand that different tires come on the navi vs non-navi models. Are the Michelins on the navi models any better quality than the Bridgestone ones you guys have? On my budget I am looking for a 2005 or 2006 once the 07's come out and it is pretty hard to find a manual trans TL out there. I'd like navi, but it is not a must for me since I bet I would use it less than 5% of my driving time. I am pretty sure that given the quality of build for Acuras buying a couple years used isn't a problem. I am trying to stay away from 04 TLs since it was a redesigning year and usually those are trouble spots.

Do you two have any problems with the low clearance issue? Some reviews have said that they scrape their TLs on the pavement when going up abrupt inclines and on curbs.
    I have a 2004 6-speed w/ navigation. When I bought, there was no difference in tires between navi and non-navi models. All automatics got Bridgestone Tourenzas. The 6-speed had an option for "HPT" (high performance tires), which, for an extra $200, replaced the Bridgestone Tourenzas with much better Bridgestone Potenzas. I'm not sure what they are using currently.

I found large dealers in DC had at least 1-2 6-speeds to test drive. My small hometown dealer had to order a 6-speed (in reality, swap allocations) to get a navi in my exact color choice. But it only took a few weeks. They are in western PA, within a couple hundred miles of the Acura factory in Ohio at whcih the TL is ade, so that may have helped.

I don't have problems with low clearance over speed bumps or up and down ramps. You can't drive your wheels right up to a 7-8" high concrete wheel stop in a parking lot, but I think that's the case with almost all cars today. If the front apron on the TL is any lower than my 1995 Maxima, it's only by an inch or less.

Regarding the 2004 model, I have 23,000 miles on mine and have a couple of friends that have 35,000 and 40,000 miles respectively. I am not aware of any new model bugs, so I wouldn't avoid the 2004 model year, if that gets you what you want at the right price. My 1995 Maxima and 2005 911 were also first model year redesigns without any problems.
  • factfinderfactfinder Posts: 103
    Oh yea! I'm trading my 05 in for an 07.

To address the TL and G35 shopper, take CR's advice. If you want luxury with a little sport, get the TL. If you want performance with a little luxury, get a G. 306 ponies are bound to kick something!
  • factfinderfactfinder Posts: 103
    0-60 in about 5 seconds! Yikes!
  • goodegggoodegg Posts: 905
    Get the TL. Fun to drive, 32 mpg highway, looks better, priced lower, less aggrivating issues (check out problems and solutions on this board for both cars and you'll see what I mean), MORE ROOM (I felt a bit cramped in the G35), better standard electronics (Hands Free Link for bluetooth phones,etc.) and American made! (doesn't hurt to pump our econonmy)
  • avs007avs007 Posts: 97
    Get the TL. Fun to drive, 32 mpg highway, looks better, priced lower, less aggrivating issues (check out problems and solutions on this board for both cars and you'll see what I mean), MORE ROOM (I felt a bit cramped in the G35), better standard electronics (Hands Free Link for bluetooth phones,etc.) and American made! (doesn't hurt to pump our econonmy)

Better electronics? The G35 also has bluetooth hands free. The G35 also has things the TL does not, like power tilt/telescoping steering wheel with memory, keyless/intelligent locks/ignition, MP3 support, RDS Display on radio, etc.
    So I am still thinking about an 05 TL as my car of choice right now. I just test drove a 2003 BMW 330xi and it felt alot better on the road than the TL, but the interior was pretty skimp on a $30k car. I don't have the money to buy a brand new car and obviously a Japanese car will hold its value better than a German one, but I just wanted to see what people thought on this...is there a huge difference over an 04 TL and an 05 TL? Consumer Reports says 04 is a trouble-spot year for the TL bc of the redesign and they rate the body integrity pretty low for that year. I figure if I wait for the 07 TL to come out I will be able to find a cheaper 05 with navi for the same price as an 05 is currently. Does anyone have an opinion on a solid reason to get an 05 over an 04 other than it just being a year newer? Thanks.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Let's discuss the difference in the ride quality between the 530Xi and 330Xi here: BMW 3-Series AWD vs. BMW 5-Series AWD. :)
  • dleshinedleshine Posts: 2
    Since I have both, I can tell you, the TL is heavier, gets ecellent gas mileage. For the type of driving you say you do, the TL wins. PS, the Infiniti is considerably noisier, and the shifter noise is very noticeable.

Dave
  • kman007kman007 Posts: 1
    I think the intelligent key system is buggie. You will read about the issues on other sites. The computer chip that controls all the funky tech is unstable.
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Posts: 749
    I think the intelligent key system is buggie. You will read about the issues on other sites. The computer chip that controls all the funky tech is unstable.

I had the G for about 8 months now and never had any problems with the key. I think the problem is minimal. People don't know how convenience it is until they have it.
  • scottm123scottm123 Posts: 1,501
    I agree.
    Mine is 5 months old and no problems to speak of.

Yes, there is a known issue with the codes in the fob getting scrambled if you allow your fob to sit directly on your cell phone and the phone receives a call... but this is being corrected and we should all have new keys by the end of Sept.

This is my first car with a keyless ignition and with my experience so far, I hope all of my future cars have the option as well.
    Keyless ignitions! Nuts! Just when I was figuring out the complexities of using a key/ignition combo!!! Let's see:

1. Insert key
    2. Turn key

Thank goodness we're getting rid of this bit of mechanical Rube Goldberg-ism. I hear there's something called I-Drive that greatly enhances the driving experience too!

:P ;)

It's not the complexity of the process, it's the process itself.
    Go a few months without having to stick your hand into your pocket, pull out the keys, unlock the car, insert key into ignition and turn.... you'll understand.

It did take some getting used to though.
    I'd get to my destination and then reach up to the steering column, my hand searching for keys that didn't exist.
    That took some time to reprogram my brain.

I like not needing keys to get into the car.
    Want in? Touch the handle.
    Need something in the trunk? Touch the button.

I think it'll be nice in the winter.
    Wearing gloves, carrying my laptop bag and not needing to fish for keys.
  • taxesquiretaxesquire Posts: 681
    Yes, even though using a key to unlock and start the car is not a huge hurdle to clear, I really do wish my '04 TL had keyless entry. If you think about it, I'm sure when key fobs that unlock doors and pop trunks first came out, some people questioned their value ("insert key, turn, open door"), too.

Furthermore, it's one of those items that I don't think you can do after-market (you can get an autostart kit, but I don't think you can set it to open doors and trunks keyless).

Navigation systems can clearly be had aftermarket, and they are so good that I don't think I could pay the extra $2,000+ car companies continue to charge for the built-in system. Now I see all the bluetooth options that can be added, too. My parents aftermarket GPS that sticks on the windshield also has bluetooth to allow for speakerphone.

I think "rain sensing" wipers and light-sensitive mirrors are other items that we don't need, but they're great conveniences and I don't think you can get them done aftermarket.
    Navigation systems ~ I don't think I could pay the extra $2,000+ car companies continue to charge for the built-in system.

True, but being built in goes a long way for some people.
    I personally don't want to spend 35-40K on a car and then stick some add-on device to my dashboard.
    I love the built in seamless look of the stock navi.

Also, that 2K does buy other things as well.
    Take the G for instance... along with the Navigation & Live Traffic, it also adds goodies like XM Sat Radio, The Music Box MP3 Harddrive system w/ added compact flash slot and also includes Voice Recognition for climate control, audio, information and navigation systems.

The 2K goes a little further than just buying the Navi itself.
    Also, that 2K does buy other things as well.
    Take the G for instance... along with the Navigation & Live Traffic, it also adds goodies like XM Sat Radio, The Music Box MP3 Harddrive system w/ added compact flash slot and also includes Voice Recognition for climate control, audio, information and navigation systems.

You are absolutely right. B/c my L came with nav, it also came with voice recognition for the climate control and the radio. I'd just weigh the pros and cons more closely than before.

As an aside, the aftermarket nav that my dad just bought is wireless (it retains its charge through 8 hours of use), so it has a cleaner look, even though it does sit on the dash or get stuck on the windsheild, has bluetooth technology to let you use it's speakers for your cell phone, and it has a built-in MP3 player.
    What brand did your father get? How big is the screen? cost?

I'm thinking of resurecting my 1995 Maxima for more frequent use and a portable Nav might make sense.
    it was one of the "c" series (the newest ones are the "nuvi" series) - he got it from costco

At this point, I don't know whether 1 co is better than another, so please don't think I'm specifically recommending a certain unit, but now that I know that they can be had with an 8-hr battery and bluetooth, I wouldn't get one without!!!
123457»
This discussion has been closed.