Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Azera vs Toyota Avalon vs Ford Taurus vs Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• "Its not going to be worth $15-20K after 5 years."

I disagree. My son just traded in a 2001 gmc pickup
    ( 5 1/2 years old ) and got 12 grand for it. Surely a well maintained flagship car like the Avalon would bring in at least 3 grand more than that if not more. After all, that's one of Toyotas selling points...reliability and higher resale value.

"That $325 a month could be enough to buy a brand new car for cash if invested properly."

That may or may not be true depending the annual return of your investment.. and nobody can predict an annual return that will guaranty a return = to the sum needed to buy a 30K + car. not only that, how many people are actually disciplined enough to make that investment month after month. maybe a few... but I don't think many. jmo
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 11,685
    I disagree. My son just traded in a 2001 gmc pickup
    ( 5 1/2 years old ) and got 12 grand for it.

1.) 12 grand is not 15-20 grand B.) How much did he originally pay for it?

That may or may not be true depending the annual return of your investment.

325 X 60 = 19,500. There are plenty of good cars out there that can be had for that or less. And that doesn't even include interest. Even with a low guaranteed savings account rate your at 21K. Consider the fact that a 325 payment is a loan of less than $17K.

The sign said "No shoes, no shirt, no service", it didn't say anything about no pants.

• 1.) 12 grand is not 15-20 grand B.) How much did he originally pay for it?

snakeweasel, we agree there, it certainly isnt 15 to 20.. and thank you for helping me to make my point. he got 12 grand for a 5 1/2 year old gmc pickup... I think most people would assume that since the avalon is without argument, I higher end vehicle, that it is reasonable to believe that it would be worth more than 12k, more like 15 to 20, which is what I stated... the gmc new was 21K... my avy was 33+. that alone will justify a higher resale for the same amount of time. and again, we don't argue that putting that 325 a month into an investment is lucrative.. where I disagree is that it isn't a viable argument because 95% of the people do not have the discipline to put that $ into an investment every single month over 5 years. As I stated in an earlier post, I had never traded in a car before it was 10 years old.. in most cases, 12 to 15 years old. The net result was hardly anything on trade in and more out of pocket up front to get into a new car. Trade it in sooner, get more trade in.. like I said.. pay it now or pay it later. pretty much a matter of personal preference. To each his own.
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    Leasing works for some people and not for others. For example I have leased my last three vehicles and never even came close to the miles (12K a year). My office is only 10 miles each way and I fly a lot (for work) therefore my car sits for a week or sometimes more. I know leasing probably costs me more money over the long haul, but I just like never having to deal with repairs. All I do to my car is an oil change and tire rotation every 5K. No tires, brakes, batteries, nothing. Just my preference.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• but I just like never having to deal with repairs. All I do to my car is an oil change and tire rotation every 5K. No tires, brakes, batteries, nothing. Just my preference.

How does leasing the vehicle keep you from having to "deal with" repairs? I know it keeps from PAYING for them, but that's not the same thing.

If you lease the vehicle, don't you still have to take it in to the dealer, etc?
    With the little amount of miles I put and the reliabililty of Toyota in 6+ years my cars have made only 2 trips to the dealer for something other than an oil change. Once was for the CD Changer in my '00 Solara and once for the Sunroof in my '03 Avalon.

• But given that history, why not BUY the cars, instead?
    Because of what I said earlier. After 3 years the car starts to need maintenance and repair I don't want to deal with. For example, when I give my lease back at 30k the car is ready for front brakes, tranny flush, radiator flush etc. I probably spend more money in the long run. However, it is worth it to me to always have a newer(trouble free) car.

• After 3 years the car starts to need maintenance and repair I don't want to deal with

But I thought those foreign cars were supposed to be soooooo much better than the Fords I've owned. ;)

Because of what I said earlier. After 3 years the car starts to need maintenance and repair I don't want to deal with

I was assuming that you'd SELL the car before buying the next one. :confuse:
    The greatest car in the world still has wearable items that need to be replaced at intervals (brakes, hoses, belts, batteries etc.)

"I was assuming that you'd SELL the car before buying the next one"

I see what you mean, BUY it then trade or sell after 3 years. Not sure if I would come out ahead or not. I couldn't buy it cash, so between finance charges and depreciation, I think I would be in the same boat as leasing.

• Not sure if I would come out ahead or not. I couldn't buy it cash, so between finance charges and depreciation, I think I would be in the same boat as leasing.

The big advantage of the leasing is that you KNOW ahead of time what depreciation you'd be getting. That can go either way.

You are *probably* paying a higher interest rate with the leasing, I'd expect . . but that may not always be true.

By buying/selling, you'd avoid the risk of HUGE extra costs for going over on mileage. This may not be a problem to you, though.
  • motownusamotownusa Posts: 836
    Why would anyone buy the Montego or the 500 over the competition ? Even with front wheel drive, it is slow as a slug the AWD will be even slower. I would only consider the 500 or Montego if foul weather traction was an issue; otherwise any of the competitors is a better choice even the long on the tooth Impala.
  • cobrazeracobrazera Posts: 352
    If you only keep a car 3 years, leasing makes a lot of sense, especially since ( at least here in Michigan ) you only pay sales tax on the lease payment ( the actual portion of the vehicle that you use) and not on the total cost of the car.
  • floridabob1floridabob1 Posts: 1,190
    In most cases leases make the most sense for people who keep a car two to three years.
  • captain2captain2 Posts: 3,971
    In most cases leases make the most sense for people who keep a car two to three years
    And don't plan on using it much ? Lease limits are now typically only 10-12k per year and overmile charges are ludricruous. Leases make more sense to folks that buy things by payment size as opposed to those that really want to know what something is actually costing.
  • captain2captain2 Posts: 3,971
    while I'll agree with you on the powertrain ruining what could otherwise be a competitive car, I think that the AWD 'gimmick' is overestinated by many in terms of foul weather traction simply because in most of this country, snow covered roads etc. are rare occurences. Meaning that it would be very unusual to find any road conditions that AWD would handle but FWD wouldn't.
    The Impala should be better when it becomes the Australian RWD Holden, the Taurus/500 should, at least, have better power when and if Ford can finally get the thing on the market even if it does look like a Fusion.
  • floridabob1floridabob1 Posts: 1,190
    RE: 589
    Most leases can be structured for the anticipated milage of the term of the lease.
    In the past, I have leased many high end cars for periods between 2 and 3 years, and have found that economically, it was a good practice.
    For long time holders of their cars, purchasing usually proves to be the better choice.
    As the resale value of an Azera after 3 years has yet to be determined, the lease option gives you a known total cost factor.
  • barnstormer64barnstormer64 Posts: 1,106
    Why would anyone buy the Montego or the 500 over the competition ?

Because they're better values.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 11,685
    I once kept a car for 3 years. However I put over 100K on it in those three years. Would a lease have helped me?

The sign said "No shoes, no shirt, no service", it didn't say anything about no pants.

• joe97joe97 Posts: 2,248
    No. Generally the lease limit is about 12-15K miles/year, anything over makes little sense, since you'd have to pay per each excess mile driven.

Lease makes sense for some, while financing/purchasing are adequate situation for others. I have leased for over ten years now - better for me, lower payments, and a new car every two-three years.
This discussion has been closed.