Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Azera vs Toyota Avalon vs Ford Taurus vs Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 11,568
    I know I was being sarcastic. Leasing only is good for people who drive relatively little and want to trade out every few years. Even then it doesn't make much financial sense.

There are three types of people in this world. Those who are good at math and those who are not.

• floridabob1floridabob1 Posts: 1,190
    RE: 593
    Probably not. The milage charges would probably have exceeded the depreciation. Even at $.15 per mile on a 15000 mile per year lease, the excess milage charge would be $8250.00 at 100,000 miles.
  • captain2captain2 Posts: 3,971
    yeah right - the 500 already is having a great deal of trouble holding its value, can you imagine what will happen to that value when the model is discontinued and replaced by something called the Taurus that happens to have a real engine in it. You won't be able to give away a used 2005-07 500/Montego.
    Going one step further - given that the old style 2006 Tauri can be had for $11-12k out of the rental fleets, on what basis are you supposing anybody in their right mind is going to assume that the new 500/Taurus is anything but another cheap Ford?
  • Not surprisingly, the Avalon XLS came on top of its class, and ranked very close to the best Upscale sedans. Good to see that CR's Predicted Reliability rating is back to Above Average. Their Highs and Lows for the Av are right on, too. The rear headroom advantage of the Av over the ES350 is evident, and so is the price difference between these two models.
  • dborthdborth Posts: 474
    Kia Amanti Highs..."Isolation" ?
    Since its from Consumer Reports I wouldn't put to much stock in that report.

There are three types of people in this world. Those who are good at math and those who are not.

• quietproquietpro Posts: 702
    Since its from Consumer Reports I wouldn't put to much stock in that report.

Neither would I but Toyota buyers love being told how "smart" they are. ;)
  • gamlegedgamleged Posts: 442
    IF you don't mind the "Lows" of "agility, steering and brake feel"... :P

Azera owners are feeling pretty self-satisfied, as well, we just need to carry a little extra fuel in a jerry-can or two!

But as for the also-ran Ford 500 and the rest, well... :cry:
  • motownusamotownusa Posts: 836
    What you think about CR doesn't mean diddly sqat. But the fact is, and you may not like it, is that CR does influence people's car buying habit. A bad rating from Consumer Report could be the kiss of death. Consumer Reports is one of the reason Toyota is doing so well. It seems like even with all their quality issues, Toyota still rules the reliability chart.
  • bruneau1bruneau1 Posts: 468
    Well, whatever the case, the renamed Taurus will be a significantly improved vehicle: new engine, transmission, more decoration, vastly improved NVH, etc, etc. It will still be the roomiest, with the biggest trunk, and its handling and ride, already good, will be improved. Its ingress-egress is superior to any of the other vehicles in this exchange and visibility great. Style is a matter of taste and not worth arguing about. Oh, and so far the reliability seems to be acceptable. In case anyone didn't know, problems reported in the CR survey must exceed 3% in order to receive below average. It shows how high standards are today
  • joe97joe97 Posts: 2,248
    The Azera may be the sleeper in the class; best score in predicted reliability, best score in ownership satisfaction.
  • barnstormer64barnstormer64 Posts: 1,106
    the 500 already is having a great deal of trouble holding its value

Not a problem for those of us after VALUE . . we tend to keep our cars forever. ;)
  • jcm68jcm68 Posts: 33
    Yeah including the Avalon................

• That is a great post--what jumped out at me were the rankings of the three vehicles purchased mostly as "status" symbols--Hummer, Land Rover and Mercedes Benz as being dead last.
    well, that's fine if you can put up with that DT that long, it was all I could do to get it back to the dealer on a 15 minute test drive. The 500 reliability over 3 years incidentally has degraded to 'average' - surprising because it uses very little in the way of 'new' components, but I guess good for a 'Detroit' car. The Avalon, meanwhile, is 'better than average' and is the indisputable resale value champ in this class. It's simple, you pay more and you get more back for it later.
    I challenge you to put a pencil to it (or look it up on Intellicoice), the cost of driving the best is not significantly different than driving a 500 even over 10 years, never mind over something a little more usual for most auto buyers out there.
    The wildcard has to be the Azera, first year reliability results have been very good - time will tell over a longer term - and since, at least' 'value' seems to equate to initially cheap by your definition - perhaps, then you ought to be waiting in line down at a Hyundai dealership, at least you'd get a real engine as part of the deal, and you would really have a defendable contention.
  • pigmypigmy Posts: 11
    I am trading a 1994 Camry in on an Azera this week. It has 121,000 miles. That is less than 10K per year. My wife put 6000 miles on in first 3 years driving it 6 blocks to church and back. (those little old ladies really do exist) The Azera will see a lot more as we now live in the country - 60 miles to one dealer and 40 to another. (same distances to other forms of civilization) I just hope I love the Azera as much as I love the Camry.
  • barnstormer64barnstormer64 Posts: 1,106
    Sorry, but the reliability of the Ford vehicles that I have owned has been just as sterling as the Toyotas and Hondas that my brothers has owned.

So, why would I change?

Again, the Intellichoice "cost of driving" means NOTHING to me, until I can see all the assumptions they're making. I have a very strong suspicion that they're overestimating what I pay for my vehicles, for example.
    the difference would be that things like the CR ratings are based on over 800,000 received surveys. Maybe a little more statistically valid than your experience with your brothers?

there is no doubt that CR, for example, does have its own motivations and values (eg safety, FE, reliability), but it remains probably the single most infuential publication to the autobuyer. Your comments about Intellichoice are more likely correct - they would have to base TCO on sticker, they would have no way of forecasting how cheap Ford, in this example, has to sell the 500, or that Avalons continue to fetch a few hundred over invoice.
    Maybe a little more statistically valid than your experience with your brothers?

Maybe not since it is from the subscribers of CR which do not represent a adequate cross section of the automotive buying public. Its not a scientifically valid sample. A smaller better chosen sample would be far far more statistically valid than just polling CR readers.