Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Golf Electrical/Lighting Questions

Comments

• teeforeteefore Posts: 1
    I recently attempted to open my bonnet when the bonnet cable snapped. It's now seemingly impossible to open. The radiator is in the way, (right behind the VW symbol,)and so i cant get to the catch. I've had 3 mechanics on it and they have all given up in the end. Advice please!!!!
  • When I drive my VW Golf within the first five minutes of driving it, it sounds like it is shifting and then it punches (jerks forward & makes a noise) and then it drives fine. It is an automatic, so I am not sure why I am feeling and hearing it shift (and it is not every time that this happens). Any thoughts?
  • amandaaamandaa Posts: 1
    i have a golf gti 96,it has drove me mad! it would cut out driving at speed but once started would be fine, i had the relay done the air intakes cleaned, fuel filter changed, spark plugs, oil filter and change, and now finally the camshaft/crankshaft/rrp meter sensor changed! i have only just got it back tonight so fingers crossed thats the end of it! good luck x
  • evpevp Posts: 1
    Hi,

We just purchased a 95 golf cl. It seems to be a good car overall, but lately it has been having problems starting. There seems to be a correlation between that and shutting it off while the rpm's are above 1000 (seem ok, when we let it idle for a few seconds before shutting it off). We took it to a mechanic and he replaced the ignition switch, saying that this is a problem he's seen before, but that didn't resolve it... any ideas?
  • insomniinsomni Posts: 4
    Hi there, I had a similar situation and I hope what I did is a solution to your problem. I own a golf, CL, 95 two door.

I brought my car to my mechanics and I told him that my engine jerking when I drive (especially when wet). The engine was actually mis-firing.

What was checked was:
    - spark plugs (got those replaced)When was the last time you checked your sparkplugs? You could have a faulty spark plug and causing mis-firing or there is carbon build up.
    - Distributer cap (got this replaced)
    - Distributer roter (got this replaced)

Your ignition coil may not have to be replaced but it's good to know that it's new. ibid for the spark plug wires. Had this done myself because I found a rip in one of the wires.

In exchange, can someone help me. The question I have is something to do with my wiring of my reer right lights (not my break lights or blinkers but the lights when the car idles or when your driving at night). I replace the bulb..nada. I used the working lights from my left lights and tested on the right...nada. I'm thinking it may be my fuse. Anyone know?? Any insight would be helpful. My obsessive, compulive behaviour is worsening by the day to get this fixed. :confuse:
  • gembeangembean Posts: 2
    Hi, I have recently bought an N reg fuel injected VW mk3 golf. I have had a few teething problems with it. first of all when i start the engine, the car starts up and then just dies and cuts out??? its gradully getting worse and it doesnt matter if the car is hot or cold. I have tried the fuel injector fluid that you put in with your petrol, to see if that would make any difference as someone suggested this to me, but it hasnt worked and still no joy. i was then told that i need to put my foot on the accelerator and start my engine, because apparently, with fuel injected cars the petrol evaporates (especially in the hot weather weve been having lately), so you need to accelerate to get the petrol to start the car.it was explained to me, but i didnt fully understand, and it still made no difference. It has actually worked, but only for a short while, and now its getting to the stage where its getting worse, and even if i do put my foot on the accelerator, no matter how much i rev the engine, it still dies and cuts out. its very confusing, and frustrating-and not to mention very embarrassing trying to start your car with other people around looking at you as if you dont know how to start a car properly. lol! So, does anybody have any ideas as to what may be wrong with my vw?
    The second problem i am experiencing is with the oil. the oil warning light came on and started beeping and didnt go off. i checked the oil when the engine had cooled and the oil level was fine. so I thought it could be something to do with the oil pressure. but even though the oil level was fine, with the engine bay open whilst checking the oil, i just so happened to look down and noticed a huge area of what seemed to be oil that had leaked from my car.lots and lots of it! I took it to a garage,and after checking where the leak was coming from, they said the oil pressure switches had gone, and so replaced two of them. they then told me the oil would still leak a little, but would eventually settle down and then stop leaking. which i thought it had, because its been fine up unitl now. but here we go again, nearly two weeks later its still leaking-not as much, but still leaking, and the oil warning light kepps coming on and beeping still, but it goes off this time. checked the oil level, and yep, its absolutely fine. it seems to be mainly only when i have travelled, not a big distance, but more than distance i usually travel e.g. going out for long drives, but is fine just going to work and back. Bearing in mind this car has a full, stamped vw service manual and has been serviced and had regular oil changes throughout its entire life.

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaseeeeeeeeeeee Help me!!!!!!!!!!!
    :( :cry: :confuse: :sick:
  • Catalyst System, Bank 1 efficiency below threshold...

so...whats that mean? It's an emissions issue...but what needs replacing?? Any help appreciated... 2002 Golf 2.0

Oxygen sensor? EGR valve? what?!? lol...

Jen :confuse:
  • Hi,

I have had a 97 VW golf (manual) for about a year now. It has been doin very well until lately a weird problem has risen. Everytime it rains, or it gets cold, the steering wheel jams i.e. it gets really really tight and almost makes it impossible to turn the car. As long as its going straight its fine but even a small turn is very difficult. However when the weather is dry and hot again, it does just fine. I was told that there maybe an issue with the Power Steering fliud but I got that checked and its alright. I am not loosing any fluid either.
    I was also told that there might be a problem with the suspension. However I havent really had a supension guy look at it. I am afraid they will give a huge estimate.

Does anyone has a similar issue, or a solution to this problem. I am worried about this since very soon winter will be here and it will become an everyday affair. I am a student and short on $$. Hopefully someone has a cheap solution or knows more about this problem.

I am a new driver and dont know much about cars, this is my first car. Any help will be highly appritiated.

Thanks guys :cry:
    Sudeepa
  • poddymepoddyme Posts: 1
    I bought a W reg 1.4 golf year 2000. I have had problems with it starting. About 40% of the time it sounds like its going to start but wont fire the engine. And takes about 7 attempts atleast before it starts. It always ends up starting.

I have taken the car to 3 dealers, one VW garage and they have tested it on the diagnostic testing system and all the readings are fine.

When the car is low of fuel it seems worse and also the car doesnt seem to run very smooth.

Can anybody help?
  • jabnecojabneco Posts: 1
    Hello.
    I was wondering how you got on with your problem of the engine cutting out ? I have exactly the same problem and was about to try the injection cleaning fluid but wont bother now I know it doesnt work. I know of another person with a similar problem so its obviously a known issue and you would have thought that a solution was available.

Cheers.
    Engine seems to be working fine. The one thing I did notice is that I had my rear right running light out and the bulbs were all brand new. I checked out my fuses and found that one of them blew out so I replaced it. But once I replaced it, my engine was jerking a little. Pretty much the same thing as before but not so bad. A little later, my engine was running fine. I later realized that my rear right running light was out again. There is some connection with my fuse and the engine. I need to investigate further. So far, engine is fine, rear right light is out temporarily. :surprise: Check your fuses too. I'm now thinking of trading in for a newer model.
  • Hi I recently bought a 96 golf 2.0, automatic, and recently the horn stopped working and the car stereo won't turn on. I think it might be the fuses as it is missing the stereo fuse, If someone could tell me which color fuse goes in that spot I would apreciate it greatly. Thank you.
  • In the fuse panel (reading left to right) fuse #13, which is a 10 amp red fuse, controls the horn.

Fuse #22 controls the radio. It is a 10 amp red fuse.

This info. is from my '96 Golf's Owner's Manual. Hope this helps.
    hi..fuse panel reads from left to right. based on my manual (95 Golf CL), fuse 22 controls the radio, lighter, (if any)remote luggage, (if any)compartment release. It is a 10 amp fuse -red. If the fuse blows repeatedly, you will need to find where the cause of the short circuit or overload is causing the fuse to blow. (this is of course happening to me with my right running tail light) :mad:
  • When my manual 97 Golf CL has been parked in the hot sun for a while, I have a problem starting it. I turn the key in the ignition and there is absolutely no reponse. Dead. After 4 or 5 or more efforts at turning the key in the ignition, the starter will engage with no problem. I'm wondering if it could be something to do with the connection to the clutch as I have to depress the clutch pedal to start it. I have had the starter rebuilt TWICE (one by the dealership and once ourselves) and this does not solve the problem. Has anyone else encountered this problem? Any ideas?
  • hamidghamidg Posts: 1
    hi all, my first ever post!!
    i bought a golf tdi 150 02 plate a few weeks ago. Everything was fine and running well until last week as the weather was wet the dash would say LUGGAGE COMPARTMENT open. it wasnt! noticed it happens consistently when wet! then yesterday when pressing the key fob to alarm the car, the locks went down but the indicators did not flash to confirm alarm was on. continued today. any ideas?
    are the two problems connected? could it be the boot sensor?

cheers!
  • hi there

we had exactly the same problem and now have other problems, apart from advising you to sell it, we would suggest to take the car to a garage that has electronic diagnostic testing device, they will put the car on and re-set the ECU back to factory settings. Hope this helps
  • I own a 2002 VW GOLF GTI 1.8T and have had an annoying problem where my engine oil pressure light keeps on going off and ive taken it to the mechanic atleast 5 times and ive had my oil pump fixed and the engine pressure indicatior. The mechanic keeps telling me the engine is runing very smoothly and the VW dealership told me to do fix exactly what i fixed and the light keeps going on, can anyone help me with this problem? all i want is for the light to stop going off and beeping at me every time i drive
  • jdiaz3jdiaz3 Posts: 2
    Hey, I have the same problem, same car, and resently found out that the problem is the ignition switch, the good nwes is that the part is only about $25, the bad news is that it is a pain....to replace it. What you can try to test it is to rtemove the plastic cover from behind the steer8ing wheel, where the ignition goes, then you should see a black connector leading to the ignition switch, disconnect it and bypass the red wire and red/black wire, if the started runs(only the starter, the car will crank but not start) then this is most likely the problem. Watch out when bypassing the wires do the red/blkack first(high current)