Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Azera vs. Volkswagen Passat vs. Buick LaCrosse

Comments

• rgyiprgyip Posts: 43
    Nope. The new Passat,while has grown over the previous iteration, is smaller than the new Sonata. The Azera is definately bigger than the new Passat.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 11,752
    The SE will have a premium package that will consist of a roof,

Ok I have to ask, if you don't get the premium package you don't get a roof?

The sign said "No shoes, no shirt, no service", it didn't say anything about no pants.

• 5 of 34 Re: Azera vs. Passat vs. LaCrosse [bjbird2] by averigejoe Nov 20, 2005 (5:59 pm)
    Bookmark | Reply | E-mail Msg
    Replying to: bjbird2 (Nov 20, 2005 3:54 pm)

Azera is Hyundai's new top-of-the-line sedan. It is much larger than the Passat. Azera has 106.9 cu. ft. for passengers and 17 in the trunk.
    The 2006 Passat has 96 for passengers and 14.2 in the trunk. I think the 2002 had 95 cu. ft. for passengers.

That makes the Passat about as roomy for passengers as an Elantra.
  • Make that 2006 Passat only 95.2 cubic feet for passengers according to Volkswagen on a Yahoo website. http://autos.yahoo.com/newcars/volkswagen_passatsedan_3.6l_2006/18181/style_specs.html;_yl- - t=Ah1rpAgmJFqSYUx0f9G9nYBXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE2MWFla2V2BGNvbG8DZQRsA1dTMQRwb3MDMgRzZWMDc3IEdn- - RpZANERlg1XzMw?p=cap

That makes the Passat as roomy for passengers as an Elantra.

The Passat 3.6 L is nearly as heavy as the Azera. The VW is only 53 pounds lighter than the Azera Limited.
  • fdcapt2fdcapt2 Posts: 122
    The difference between the 2 isn't as much as some people want you to think. Granted, the Azera is a bigger car, but not to the point where you can call the Passat small. After checking a few other models that are in the same class ?? the Azera is bigger in some measurements, close in others, and smaller in a few. Believe me when I tell you the Passat isn't a small car. I'm a big guy, and I feel comfortable in the Passat. I test drove the Acura TL, and even though it's a beautiful car, it's tight inside. Same with the Maxima. I don't think you can really call any of these cars small, but in my case, the Passat feels good. Add in 20 more HP, and 10 pounds more torque, plus an extra gear, and quite a few more options, and we have a nice car. Once again, my opinion. :)
  • bjbird2bjbird2 Posts: 647
    Actually you're right, the Sonata is larger in most areas, but not a lot. The Passat has more rear legroom.

Interior Passat- Sonata
    Front Headroom 38.4 in.-40.1 in.
    Rear Headroom 37.8 in.-38.2 in.
    Front Shoulder Room 55.7 in.-57.4 in.
    Rear Shoulder Room 54.6 in.-56.9 in.
    Front Hip Room Being Researched-55.5 in.
    Rear Hip Room Being Researched-55.3 in.
    Front Leg Room 41.4 in.-43.7 in.
    Rear Leg Room 37.7 in.-37.4 in.
    Maximum Luggage Capacity 14.2 cu.ft.-16.3 cu.ft.
    Maximum Seating 5- 5
  • Those size differences between Passat and Sonata are all pretty significant, except for the rear legroom which is a small fraction of an inch.
    C'mon, who are you trying to fool? You are only fooling yourself!
    Sizewise, compare the Passat to the little Elantra. Your numbers should be a lot closer. Except the trunk.
  • njeraldnjerald Posts: 688
    The Azera has 11% more interior room and almost a 20% bigger trunk than the Passat. The Passat isn't small except in comparisons with bigger vehicles.
  • But the Passat has the same interior passenger space as the Elantra, right?
    The Elantra is a pretty small car even though the EPA calls it a midsized car.
  • njeraldnjerald Posts: 688
    Passat is slightly roomier (interior and trunk volume) than the Elantra and slightly smaller (interior and trunk volume)than the Honda Accord.

Some people aren't interested in the roominess but are after other attributes.
    Well said, and the Passat definitely does offer other attributes.
    I can honestly say it's been the best ALL AROUND car of the 30+ cars that I've owned.
  • Passat 96 / 14
    Elantra 95 / 13
    Accord 103 / 14

Pretty big passenger volume jump up to the Accord.

2006 EPA Fuel Economy Guide
  • Did you settle for the vinyl seats in your Passat?
    If you want the leather you have to pay about $3000 more to get it in a package with some other stuff.
    I'll bet 99 out of 100 people couldn't tell the vinyl from the leather in the Passat, it looks that good. Save the $3k.
  • fdcapt2fdcapt2 Posts: 122
    I got the package with the leather, as well as many other upgrades. Like I posted in the Azera forum, it cost me about $3000 over the Azera Limited, but the options are well worth it. If the Azera had some of these options, I would probably have gotten the Azera, but.........and I agree, you would have a tough time telling the vinyl seats from the leather.
  • I'm sure the vinyl is beautiful to look at, just like the leather. But they are seats, not pictures on a wall.
    Drive for an hour or two sitting on them. The comfort of leather over vinyl is very noticeable. The leather breathes better. Your don't get that sticky feeling. On vinyl you do. Or at least I do.
    Also at temperature extremes the leather is more pleasant.
  • "cost me about $3000 over the Azera Limited"?

That is too vague to be meaningful. Can you explain more?

What was the MSRP of your Passat with the options you selected?
    And how much did you pay?
    And what price are you assuming you could have bought the Azera Limited for?
    And what options are you figuring on the Azera at that price?
  • Using manufacturer's measurements:

Passat is 95.2 cu. ft. for passengers.
    Azera is 106.9 cu. ft. for passengers.

So, the Azera is 12.3% larger than the Passat for passengers.

Percentagewise, that is like a 199 pound man eating a whole lot of Twinkies and ballooning up to 223 pounds. It would be a big difference on me.
    The vinyl is perforated on the Passat, so breathing is not a problem.
  • navigator89navigator89 Posts: 1,080
    Could we expand this discussion to include the Toyota Avalon, Ford Five Hundred and replace the Lacrosse with the Lucerne? Having more cars in the discussion can only make it more interesting.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    We already have this one: Hyundai Azera vs Toyota Avalon vs Ford 500 vs Chevrolet Impala. How about if we add the Lucerne there?
  • This title was created to provide a place for those few people who think the Passat is comparable and competetive with the Azera. It includes LaCrosse because it can be equipped to be similar in price, weight and purpose with the Azera and was ignored in the other discussions of Azera's competitors. The Lucerne was not named in the title for reasons explained in earlier messages here.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    The title stays the same, thanks.
  • I think anyone looking for an upscale mid-size car should check out the Buick LaCrosse. VW is having some real reliability issues. Buick scores just under Lexus in reliability. For just about $30K you can get a fully loaded LaCrosse CXS. People need to get beyond that false image they may have of Buick of being an old person's car and go test drive it.
  • krzysskrzyss Posts: 843
    will be available as wagon.
    I will check Passat wagon when it comes out.

Krzys
  • Price, weight and similar V6 power of the LaCrosse makes it a closer competitor to Azera Limited than is the Lucerne.
    But adding the necessary options to the LaCrosse to make it as close as possible to the Azera Limited's standard equipment adds $3090 to the LaCrosse MSRP. Grand total $32,185.
    A fully loaded Lacrosse CSX MSRP is $34,660. Invoice is$31,297. That's according to Kelley Bluebook.
    And even then the LaCrosse has no memory seats, no front side air bags, no rear side air bags, and no cassette player. The Lacrosse, at 99 cu. ft. passenger volume, is much smaller than Azera's 107. The Azera's 2000 lb. towing capacity is twice that of LaCrosse. And the Azera bumper to bumper warranty is 5 yrs/60,000 miles instead of LaCrosse's 4 yr/50K. The Azera has 10 yrs/100,000 miles on the powertrain. The Azera Limited with the ultimate package is $29,995 MSRP.
    There are, today, two VW's, the Passat and Jetta that are "silver" rated as being crash worthy in the Insurance Institute's top 10 safest cars.
    -- as I recall, there aren't any other cars in this forum that made the cut.

Not even a Volvo made it to the list this time around. . . .
  • From another Azera comparison board:
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.efd2a06?displayRecent

#201 of 207 Motor Trend by alpha01 Feb 04, 2006 (4:29 pm)
    Bookmark | Reply | E-mail Msg
    Very well written comparison test of the Azera, Avalon, and Passat in the newest Motor Trend. They did many very interesting technical tests to measure ride quality and handling, and although the Azera placed 3rd overall, it did quite well, and was the quietest of the bunch.

~alpha
    Replies to this message:
    • ctalk (Feb 04, 2006 5:15 pm)
    • alpha01 (Feb 04, 2006 5:38 pm)
    • ctalk (Feb 04, 2006 6:54 pm) and 3 more...
  • Yeah, I guess you are right. The Passat is not little. After all, it is as big as an Elantra inside.
    But it is heavy. Porky Passat. It weighs about the same as an Azera LX, which is a much larger car.
    (see post #36)
  • jimd4jimd4 Posts: 877
    Becareful of resale and residual value on Hydauni.how ever you spell it. My neighbor bought his kid Tiburon and when the kid tried to trade it two years later it was worth nothing
This discussion has been closed.