Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Land Cruiser Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• You're considering a 5000+ lbs vehicle, with full time 4WD. If you're after a higly fuel efficient machine, you will be very disappointed with the LC. The real world mileage is really not much different than the EPA ratings on the sticker.

OTOH, if you want what many consider to be the best all around SUV made you'll be more than pleased with a LC. ;)
  • Since I don't own a new Cruiser...yet, I can only give you what many people that do own them have told me...about 16-18 mpg on Hwy, around town, expect around 13-14 mpg.
  • Those are my typical mileage ranges in my '02 with a lift and oversize tires. Of course, I coast a lot too :)
  • Has anyone bought a land cruiser in NJ (DVD, navigation, etc.) recently? If yes then, what is reasonable price in comparison with MSRP or dealer invoice? Dealer recos would be great also.
  • martinfmartinf Posts: 121
    I have had a 2001 TLC since 5/01. At that time, the vehicles had an MSRP of $58,000 without Nav. The local dealer in San Diego (Pacific Beach Toyota, now Mossy Toyota) advertised all in stock for $10,000 off. Although I was considering a lightly equipped Tahoe for a lot less, my TLC has proven to be well worth it. It now has 87,000 miles on it. My gas mileage is generally about 12 to 13 MPG around town, closer to 15 MPG on 120 mile trips to Big Bear Lake. I would HIGHLY recommend getting the Toyota Platinum Extended Warranty. Among some minor issues (power lumbar support), I had the transmission replaced at 70,000 miles (it would have cost about $3200 otherwise). However, I would HIGHLY recommend not buying it from the selling dealer. Midwest Toyota (Witchita, KS) and Mechanicsville Toyota (Virginia) will both sell you the extended warranty for approximately half of what the Toyota Financial Services website says is the MSRP on the warranty. I bought a 2007 Camry LE for my mother last April and paid $520 for a 7yr/75,000 mile/0 deductible warranty which had an MSRP of $1150. The selling dealer (Mossy Toyota) wanted $1430 for the exact same thing. If you want to shop it further, I placed an extensive list of dealers who discount the warranty on the Toyota Camry Forum. Just search for the martinf postings. I never knew you could get the warranty from another dealer, but these forums have taught me a lot about the car business. I called Midwest Toyota's Finance manager, gave him my credit card over the phone, and I had my official Toyota Warranty Docs in the mail within a few days. Easy and much cheaper than my selling dealer. If you have already bought the extended warranty from your dealer and paid too much, you have 60 days to rescind from Toyota Financial Services and re-buy from the cheaper dealer!!

PS - If you can wait, I do believe there will be an entirely new TLC for 2008. That will certainly drive the prices of the 2007 models down, or you may want the new vehicle. I am sure Toyota engineers have not been sitting on their hands since the introduction of this current version in 1998.
  • mercaramercara Posts: 291
    There is a separate thread for real-world MPG. I avg 16-17 on a 2002 in mixed driving conditions. 2006 maybe about a mile better with the five speed tranny as opposed my 4 speed.
  • mercaramercara Posts: 291
    Does anyone know if it possible to order a new TLC without the NAV and fancy suspension? I want to get the last 2007 and keep it for a long time. Don't want to spend 10000K down the line when the screen fails and fancy suspension fails.
  • bbaunbbaun Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if the 4 threaded holes in the rear bumper of my 1997 Land Cruiser can be used for light towing or a luggage rack? Are their any accessaries on the market to bolt a receiver using these holes? Thank You in advance for any information.
  • dds872dds872 Posts: 6
    Recently my wife and I rented a 2006 Jeep Commander for a four day trip to Detroit from PA. We had test drove a Limited with a Hemi when they first came out but the high gas prices and poor mileage scared us away. However after this trip and the feeling of safety a 5 thousand pound vehicle can provide we are rethinking our purchase. So we started to cross shop the Land Cruiser with the Commander and came across a Land Cruiser brand new loaded with Nav,back up camera and rear entertainment system for $56 and some change from $66. I thought that was dam good for a Toyota product. I remember before the gas prices my father wanted to purchase a LC and they wouldn’t budge. However 56 g’s is a little steep. Although we loved the LC , we felt that the Commander matched it option for option, pound for pound both vehicles have excellent off road capabilities drive similar on road and we could get it with a Hemi for thousands less. So I am going to pursue the heavily discounted Commander. There are a few 06’s left out there that I checked out and the dealer was willing to give 12 g’s off , I felt like I was being held captive, they didn’t want to let me leave the dealer ship. Well I hope that this info helps anyone who is looking for a LC and doesn’t overpay knowing that it too is being heavily discounted.
  • My wife and I had a similar experience. We started looking at Seqouias back in August, too big for us. Ignored the TLC because pricing was out of sight....in December the dealer called us because they were offering heavy discounts. We ended up buying a 2006 dealer demo TLC with 6,000 miles on it for $54K. We LOVE this vehicle, yes it's expensive and hard on gas, but no worries in the snow and the ride is great. Typical toyota quality and reliability - they have been building the LC for many years and have a vehicle that is tough to beat. Have not had much luck with american products, reliability, quality and resale have not matched Toytotas in my opinion.
  • mdsdmdsd Posts: 26
    all i can say is that if you had the money, you will not settle for a commander, period !!!

and no, commander is nothing compared to the TLC...TLC is the best in the world....and commander is U.S. made vehicle...its the worst
  • Their is no real comparison that will hold over time between the TLC and the Commander. I will soon be in the process of buying a used LX 470 (Lexus version of the TLC) for the same money that I could buy any number of new SUV's for - I simply can not afford a new 470. When all things are considered, particularly safety and reliability, as well as bells and whistles, The used 470 wins out. The used 470 seems a far better choice than any of the new ones for the same money.

That being said, if you have already bought the Commander I wish you the very best with it and please keep us informed - I would live to see an American vehicle make a come back after all of these years.

Best, Phil
  • I'm looking at buying a 99 Land Cruiser with 89,000 miles on it for $14K - is this a good deal. I've had it checked out and it's in good condition mechanically, some minor bumps and bruises cosmetically, but I think it will be dependable for years to come. Any thoughts or advice?? Thanks.
  • pjc1pjc1 Posts: 72
    Purchased a TLC two months ago for a deep discount...$10K off sticker....but now I know why...this is the vehicle that "time forgot"...my God for a $54K "luxury" SUV the thing has less and more antiquated features than my wife's Sienna van...for example you can't turn on all the interior lights at the same time...isn't this a basic feature? dependability, comfort and solid build - yes but not much more. Maybe they are just trying to unload the remaing production year or years of this dinosaur and move on to something more 1990's ish.
  • It's funny that you don't waste any time in pointing out the shortcomings of your $54,000- I certainly wouldn't turn my head up at a Land Cruiser, for me in my opinion the closest thing that I could find to one with the same options,bulk solid ride a comparable fit and finish at a much lower price was the Jeep Commander. I have to tell you I really loved driving this vehicle on my 4 day jaunt to Detroit. I am still holding out to purchase a Overland model. But they aren't discounting them right now as much as I would like. One last thing your right about the LC there are spy shots on several different sites right now of the upcoming LC.
    I always like to be truthful about my experiences...and attempt to keep opinion out of it if I can. On its surface the LC is an icon to the average SUV shopper...great reliability but it comes at a cost of even minimal luxury...you can be blinded by the aura and history of the car when you test drive it but when it sits in your garage the "plastic" shows right through...you can't miss it....get the commander, save the money and drive happy every day.
  • dds872dds872 Posts: 6
    Thanks ! Honesty is always appreciated.....
  • Your "attempt to keep opinion out of it" has failed as all I read from your post is nothing but "opinion". I'm not sure what special gizmos you find lacking in the Land Cruiser, but even though I don't own one, this SUV is loaded & has everything I would ever want or need in a vehicle. What's even more important is the build quality & its reliability history, which the Chrysler Jeep brand has never provided...IMHO.
  • hypnosis44hypnosis44 Posts: 483
    That is quite an opinion you have there. The TLC is a very heavily loaded SUV and in the side by side comparisons with the it has more features/capacity than the Commander. The internal capacity alone dwarfs the Commander. I think the Commander has a place in the panapoly of SUV's, but it is no replacement for the TLC based on the comparisons. It does have a cleaner burning engine and it does cost less; however, Jeep also has one of the worst reliability records in the industry. Still in all, if you like it then I hope it proves to be an excellent vehicle and that Chrysler builds on a promising beginning.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,371
    ..enough about Jeeps...

Thanks,
    kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

If you sense opinion then I apologize that opinion has been inserted. Having said this allow me to count the ways this $63K list SUV is lacking in "luxury" features that I see on other vehicles in the same class (even excluding the Jeep Commander).....observation only, no opinion.....

No memory seat (either side)
    No power fold in mirrors (this is a large vehicle)
    No ability to control all interior lighting by driver
    No rain sensing or mist feature to wipers
    No heated seat back/lumbar
    No heat vent in third row seats
    No heated rear seats
    No ability to control rear temperature by driver
    No courtesy floor lighting (in fact general interior lighting is poor, sorry for the opinion here)
    No self leveling head lights (no biggie)
    No outside rear view mirrow dimming feature

If you do not consider these shortcomings for $63K list vehicle that is OK too.
  • vavavavolvovavavavolvo Posts: 111
    Three points:

First, I agree with the host's statement above.

Second, the statement about being "blinded by the aura and history of the car..." suggests that more deliberation and time testing the car may have been of benefit. The aura and history of this vehicle is all about ruggedness and reliability, not creature comforts and gadgets, although it certainly has a generous share of those things. This is a vehicle designed to crawl out of the mud, not prance around Palm Beach. Understanding its DNA should be enlightening, not blinding. I think most people on this forum are here because we value and like these vehicles.

Finally, it sounds like you are looking for something different from what this vehicle offers. I was once in the same situation and know exactly how you feel. It's awful! You got this car at a great price. I would strongly urge you to consider what car you would be happy with and trade or sell the TLC for that one...ASAP. Life is too short to be this displeased with the car in your garage. When I traded my car for the one I really wanted my depression and remorse --related to cars anyway--disappeared and hasn't returned.
    (Ironically, that was when I traded for a TLC).

Good luck, I sincerely hope you can soon have a car you like and spend time on another forum singing its praises.
    Agreed that more time would have been of benefit...also full disclosure and a comprehensive explanation by the dealer and a brochure would have been nice too, but in the final analysis it is my responsibility to ensure that the goods are as promised and delivered...apparently in this discipline I performed poorly.

It may sound like I was looking for something different but I don't believe that to be the case...or perhaps I am just too idealistic to believe that $63K can buy you more than ruggedness and reliability...and likewise in the discipline of expectation of comprehensive value I performed poorly.

Lastly, your thinly veiled suggestion to me to get off the forum because other people on this forum value and like these vehicles is understood and accepted. I would not want to say anything to offend anyone.
  • mdsdmdsd Posts: 26
    Well said everyone on the TLC...i own a 2006 TLC and believe me....if you need anything more than this vehicle has to offer...you are gonna have to purchase a military stealth fighter plane !!!

Mine: Fully loaded with all options included !!!
    price: $63,000
    WORTH EVERY PENNY...
  • bdusa1bdusa1 Posts: 3
    My sons and I have 4 tlc. Cant wait for the 2008. Break in milage around 100,000 only competes in endurance with the everready bunny, they keep going and going. Gave up on other cars 20 years ago.
    Fair enough... I guess that is what makes the world a wonderful place....what one sees as great value another finds merely adequate.
  • plistplist Posts: 19
    I bought a 1994 LC 174,995 on it. (Paid 6,200.00). We bought for our son, but guess who drives it and took it over, me. Parked my 2006 honda ridgeline and got my son the small vw turbo thing he wanted. I'm a 42 year old woman that just loves her new rig! Wow I'll never buy new again and I'm already looking for a newer LC to replace my ridgeline!
  • brents18brents18 Posts: 3
    I am considering a 2002 TLC with "the works" and 65K miles. They want ~$27K (~$29 after all the paperwork, tax,etc. It looks mint condition inside and out. How many miles can I expect to get from this model--i.e., what is typical?
  • I've got an '02 with 53K on it. No issues at all, except replacing an '02 sensor. As with most any used vehicle YMMV, but I've got a friend with a '99 and over 100K on the clock. No issues either.

If you've got service history, carfax, etc. then probably should be fine for several more years. Nice to have option is Nav
  • brents18brents18 Posts: 3
    Many thanks. Yes, it has Navigation and a whole host of frills that I never considered useful, but reliability makes it worth the price.