Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Highway funding ideas include taxes on hybrids

1111213141517»

Comments

• gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,676
    Do you think the editorial was written by a hybrid owner? I feel the GPS thing is way more than what is needed. Just have your mileage checked when you renew your plates. Charge for the miles you drove the year before. KISS is still my motto.
  • larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    Why does everything have to be based on preconceived biases?

Regardless of whether the editorial writer is a hybrid owner, his point stands alone without bias:

Taxing that way is a disincentive for people to go start and keep buying high mileage cars.

It still boils down to the fact that the small (tiny) percentage of high mileage cars on the road are ABSOLUTELY NOT killing the gas tax revenues. Not possible.

Your idea about using the odometer to track miles is a good one, better than the cost and complexity of the GPS system.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,719
    "Taxing that way is a disincentive for people to go start and keep buying high mileage cars.

It still boils down to the fact that the small (tiny) percentage of high mileage cars on the road are ABSOLUTELY NOT killing the gas tax revenues. Not possible."

The point is not to encourage or discourage people from buying high MPG cars - the point is to maintain the highway funds. That is the purpose of the proposals.

RE: Not impacting us. Well, possibly not yet (I don't have any data either way). But it is pure mathematics that eventually this will be a problem, and the US will have to come up with other funding ideas that don't involve taxes on the gas. I prefer a tax on the engine size, or perhaps gross weight, or just a flat per-mile tax when the license is renewed.
  • tpetpe Posts: 2,342
    I think it is inevitable that states and the feds will eventually go to a per mile fee for funding highway projects. That doesn't mean the current gas tax will or should go away. It will just discontinue being a pay for use tax. It will now become a carbon tax that has nothing to do with highway funding. This is consistent with most of the taxes we pay that aren't earmarked for any particular purpose.
This discussion has been closed.