Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Commander Maintenance and Repair

167891012»

Comments

• itabotitabot Posts: 105
    does anyone else have this problem of the head and brake light covers not fitting well enough so that moisture seeps in? that eventually dries up but as soon as the air is damp, it rains, it snows, etc., the moisture is in there again.

so far it has not impacted the lights working, but given The Chrysler Jeep Commanders 'overall water leak issue' and the eventual results of that, I think that this is a problem that also needs fixing.

so, if anyone else has the same problem and has been able to successfully fix the problem, please share. the independent service stationS that i have gone to regarding the windshield leak tried to reinstall the covers and were not able to remedy the problem; they believe it's an overall autobody defect.
    that lemonauto link looks fantastic. I'm waiting on reply from jeep customer service regarding the sunroof leak, blinking dashboard, cruise control turning on, park assist turning off, etc., if chrysler corporate does not agree to fix these problems at no charge, i am filing suit in February 2012. if owners of other defective commanders are doing so through this lemonauto site i'd like to know.

thank you!
  • wswigwswig Posts: 14
    There is alot of owners with the water leaks. If you get any feedback on your
    complaints, let everyond know. If you don't have any luck, we need to
    form a group to get Jeep to fix these design problems.
  • Count me in for a lawsuit.
  • I feel your pain!!!!!! My 2006 Jeep Commander has been nothing but problems! Lets see, I have replaced the battery twice, I had to have the sensors replaced because my truck gears would light up and would go into nuetral while driving. The belt fell off one time while driving and I ending up pushing the truck off the road while my kids where in the truck! When it rains it sounds like a water fall inside my truck! I have had my tranmission worked on several times! My warrany expired April 2011 and conveniently my engine goes out and not to forget that my tranmission is leaking AGAIN! I hired a lawyer in October 2011. I had to buy another vechile while still making payments on my Jeep Commander. I had to settle on a payment from Chrysler for $2,000!!! Their first offer was $750.00!!! So, now I have to buy a engine quoted at 3,000 and this is not including labor.... Chrysler said they would not pay anything more since my truck has 82,000 miles on it.
    Thanks for sharing: it's not the best news that the Jeep Chrysler Settlement only = $2k but it gives me something to work with; I think that going after Chrysler is a waste of time, and my time is worth $. That said, once there is a fatal accident documented to be a result of Jeep Commanders' manufacturer's defects, then going after Jeep Chrysler will be worth it. I hope it doesn't come to that; apparently, Jeep Chrysler doesn't care if it comes to that, i.e., it will make it's money, save its money, and bury it's head in the sand until that day comes.
  • fatjack1fatjack1 Posts: 1
    The dealer price for 60k Service in Fairfield County, CT is about $1300! In round numbers:

Oil, filter: $50
    Tune up/plugs, PCV valve: $450
    4WD Service (transfer case, tranny, differentials): $550
    Coolant flush and thermostat: $250

Does anybody know of a reputable indendent garage in Danbury/Wilton area that might save me some $$$?
    BP/Getty in Wilton; Mike is the owner, and ask for Tom. I only let Tom work on this car. He is a genuine Jeep enthusiast, and, he is way ahead of the curve in understanding how to rehab these Commanders. Their prices are not low and they are not high, i.e., they are just right. What's more: their integrity makes up for Chrysler-Jeep Corporate's lack of the same. Also, they give you estimates for free which is not something that the Jeep dealer is willing to do (the dealer will charge to research a problem and to remedy a problem even if their remedy proves to be incorrect whereas this service station would not do that).

I'm so grateful to this shop for their work that I joke about removing the hood letters 'JEEP' and replacing it with 'TOM & MIKE'
    drain clogged. It's common problem in most Chryslers.
  • we had the water leak and after 4 times in they fixed it.....but now a front control module...which they again fixed but needed a new battery because of it, also 3 other problems with wiring a harness and 2 other modules...are they all connected they want me to pay out of pocket for the others ..my car only has 64,000 on the 70,000 warranty but will only cover the fcm.....shouldnt they cover all the damage since one could have caused all this??
  • We bought our jeep commander new in 2006 to use for travelling. It's been garaged it's entire life, we drive it only for trips, no hauling (don't even have a hitch). At 12,000 miles we had a puddle of oil under the car and had to have the pinion seal replaced (covered under warranty). Then @ ~40,000 miles the rear pinion bearing went bad (we suspect that they over-torqued it when they replaced the seal), but they wouldn't cover it. That cost $1200. Then 3 weeks later there was differential fluid on the rear driver side tire....... the hub was leaking. They said it wasn't related to the replacement of the pinion bearing, but, of course it was. After arguing and threatening legal action, they fixed it for the cost of parts ($300). We have the replaced hub and it is fine... the o-ring was damaged (a $2.00 part). The day after we got it back from having the hub replaced, the pinion bearing was making an awful sound, so we took it back and they replaced it again. Now 2 weeks later, the "whining" sound is back....... This is so frustrating! Has anyone else had problems with the rear end?
  • 4te4te Posts: 1
    I want to thank you any everyone else for posting their concerns. I am having similar issues too. As a result, I've replaced a battery and a starter. The lights are flicking on and off over the seats and on the dash. My 06 Jeep Commander recently shut down at a gas station. It would not take a jump. So, I had to have it towed back home. I recently had a diagnostic done at the dealer. So, I called them to ask why did they think I was having this problem. They said "it's a common problem. Sometimes the wires in the starter get rusty. It's a easy fix. It will cost about $400.00. After that, my husband wanted to attempted to start it again to avoid the cost of a tow. It started right up. Like there was never a problem. Now I don't believe it is the starter. I think it is the same problem other owner are having with the front cont module. I am really afraid to drive this truck. Also, listed as a issue on my diagnostic results. The transmission software needs to be reprogrammed for over $800.00. I think the 6/ 3.7 engines should be included in the recall for this too.
  • kendall69kendall69 Posts: 13
    I have a 2006 Commander with 108K miles on it and very few problems. In fact I took in in today for an oil change and asked when I should change the spark plugs. The service rep said 30K miles. I sad I have 108K miles and still have the original plugs. I had (1) AC fan go out, replaced with a $30.00 unit from Amazon. Also replaced brakes, wiper blades, tires, fluid changes, battery - that's it. Original belts, plugs, and everything else still original. Bought it when my daughter was 9 years old, and she will soon be getting it as her car. The car is built like a tank so I feel safe giving it to a new driver.
    Just thought some good news on the Commander, as most here have problems. I guess people that don't have issues don't take time to praise a vehicle.
  • avicensavicens Posts: 1
    I too have the same exact problem. I also have a 2006 jeep commander. Did you ever find out what was the problem??
    there is a safety recall the core problem of which I think is the core problem of our most pressing Jeep Commander safety concerns, i.e., those related to the Jeep moving. (I do not think this safety recall has anything to do with the blinking and heating up of the dashboard).

If you have not received the notice you should call Chrysler-Jeep and see if your vin qualifies. it's for transfer case actuator. the notice - if I am reading correctly - states that Chrysler Jeep tried to get the software manufacturer to provide permanent remedy but still the permanent remedy is not available so Chrysler Jeep is - free of charge (parts and labor) - I guess until the permanent remedy is available?!? - asking us to come in and they will do what they can?

In meantime, it sounds like this was reason car would shift inadvertently.

I'm hesitant to bring it into Jeep however because everytime I have brought it in for a recall I don't get 20 miles without having to have it towed back in for something to be repaired for a $-charge...
  • Jeep had a recall called an --:> N-23 <:-- I don't know what hat was all about but it was a re-program of a computer. Drivers are finding that their 4 wheel drive low on the Quadra-Drive II transmission stopped working ... EASY FIX. And there is a U-Tube video on this too.

Under the hood~driver's side is a fuse box. Find fuse location #25 and remove the 20 amp fuse. Start the jeep and put it in 'N' and pull up the 4wd Tee handle ... you will get the " Service 4 Wheel Drive " lite. Shut her down ... re install the 20 amp fuse and start it up again. Find 'N' and pull up the handle ... she'll slip into FWD Low flawlessly, over and over again. You just reprogrammed the computer. Don't let the dealer tell you differently.
167891012»