Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Commander Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• inuvikinuvik Posts: 131
    I've had no issues with my 2010 Commander Sport. No visits to the dealer for any quality issues. We love it!
  • Enjoy! Mine has been happy ever since I replaced every component possible. I would suggest a third party extended warranty when factory's ends. Just in case.
  • 2006 3.7, purchased new and only has 35K on it ( I really don't drive much which is probably a good thing). Sorry to hear about your troubles. I am way past leaking windshield, cracked windshield (3 times), whistling windshield, bad blow motor, won't start, will start, won't start, panel lights that come on for no reason (no reason according to the stealership), abismally stained seat coverings, windows that go up and down by themselves, exterior paint that scratches with a fingernail, disappearing antifreeze. I am now up to a transmission that is leaking onto the driveway. Yay for me.
  • I have a 2006 Jeep Commander 4.7L. bought it at Peel Chrysler (Mississauga, Canada). Had tire indicator problem for one tire.... would not indicate tire pressure, took it to dealership and they replaced/recalibrated the sensor $$$.
    As of today I'm having intermittent starting problems...... All the dashboard lights and blower motor turn on when the key is in the ON position but the vehicle just wont start!!! The past few times this has happened, all I would have to do is to wait 24-36 hours and the vehicle would start with no problem??? Although when it does start the blower motor will sporadically turn on and off.... Cant wait for the cold weather to begin. OH yes, almost forgot to mention that since the first month that I've owned the vehicle (3 years) I have had transmission problems...... It seems to take a freakashly long period of time to switch from first to second gear. At times I wonder if my transmission is about to explode?! But when it finally does shift into second, the following gear shifts are effortless??? Brought it back to the dealership twice for this same problem and each time they so called "fixed" the problem it would reoccur a few weeks later. They revised the software the first time and replaced the filter the second time (not covered under warranty). This went on until my extended warranty expired and I dont want to have to use my hard earned money to pay for them to fix and not repair my problem!!! So to this day I truly believe that the only way to resolve my problems is to get rid of the CRAPPY COMMANDER and NEVER, EVER PURCHASE another CHRYSLER VEHICLE EVER AGAIN!!!

Good Luck to all the Commander owners out there.
  • Love your sense of humour!!! I guess if you cant drive it, you might as well laugh about ( at ) it.

Cheers.
  • Okay, so same problems. Start, no start, start, no start. Tire problem, no problem, leaking windsheild, easily scratched paint you name it. I still love the car, I am just angry that no one seems to know what the hell is wrong here. At this moment I finally had mine towed to the dealership after being stuck in a freezing ice box at the gas station. Oh yes, filled her up and then she repayed me by not starting. Same thing will not start, however, all of the other features come on. When I go to turn it off the computer says the transmission is overheated when it is clear that this could not possibly be true. So at this moment I am paying $100 hr. for confused mechanics. Any advice? :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :cry:
  • Yes, get an aftermarket service contract. We got a good one for 2,500 or so, which will take us through 100k miles. Of course, nothing has gone wrong since the initial slate of troubles, probably because every computer component in the car was replaced. Leather seat is starting to crack on driver's side, though - unacceptable at 50k miles.

Good luck!
  • We bought a 2006 Jeep Commander 5.7L in July. We like it but it could get better gas mileage, we average about 12.7MPG. Have noticed some engine hesitations while going 30-40 MPH and engine at 1-1.5k RPM. Not sure if this is causing the below average mileage or not.

Also, I only read a few posts and noticed alot of engine not starting issues. I wonder if anyone has found that there are some recalls on various Jeep Commanders. One notably for engine stalls. Here's a link.

http://www.lemonauto.com/complaints/daimler_chrysler/jeep_commander.htm
  • itabotitabot Posts: 105
    I've also replaced many components. Now, today, the radio - the buttons on the bottom of the radio panel - are not functioning. The radio display has been flashing for about 3 years now but I have not had it replaced deciding instead to replace parts that were keeping the jeep from starting, running without talking, etc.

Have you ever had this radio problem? If you did, what was the solution? I'm worried about cost of - not even the repair - but the time it will take the audio repair shop to determine the problem; I haven't been able to find audio repair with jeep commander experience.

Thank you!
  • I also have a 06 jeep commander & have been having the same exact problem with the jerking when I reach 60mph. The engine light comes on after it jerks Everytime. My husband is deployed right now so I've taken it to several mahcanic/dealers & no one can seems to find the problem, I get a different solution to whats wrong everywhere I go. Finally my friends husband came home from deployment who is a mechanic and told me it was the transmission. I've been waiting to figure the problem out for some time now, so now the end result... now my transmission completely gave out & I'm basically carless at the moment.
    does anyone else have this problem of the head and brake light covers not fitting well enough so that moisture seeps in? that eventually dries up but as soon as the air is damp, it rains, it snows, etc., the moisture is in there again.

so far it has not impacted the lights working, but given The Chrysler Jeep Commanders 'overall water leak issue' and the eventual results of that, I think that this is a problem that also needs fixing.

so, if anyone else has the same problem and has been able to successfully fix the problem, please share. the independent service stationS that i have gone to regarding the windshield leak tried to reinstall the covers and were not able to remedy the problem; they believe it's an overall autobody defect.
    that lemonauto link looks fantastic. I'm waiting on reply from jeep customer service regarding the sunroof leak, blinking dashboard, cruise control turning on, park assist turning off, etc., if chrysler corporate does not agree to fix these problems at no charge, i am filing suit in February 2012. if owners of other defective commanders are doing so through this lemonauto site i'd like to know.

thank you!
  • wswigwswig Posts: 14
    There is alot of owners with the water leaks. If you get any feedback on your
    complaints, let everyond know. If you don't have any luck, we need to
    form a group to get Jeep to fix these design problems.
  • Count me in for a lawsuit.
  • I feel your pain!!!!!! My 2006 Jeep Commander has been nothing but problems! Lets see, I have replaced the battery twice, I had to have the sensors replaced because my truck gears would light up and would go into nuetral while driving. The belt fell off one time while driving and I ending up pushing the truck off the road while my kids where in the truck! When it rains it sounds like a water fall inside my truck! I have had my tranmission worked on several times! My warrany expired April 2011 and conveniently my engine goes out and not to forget that my tranmission is leaking AGAIN! I hired a lawyer in October 2011. I had to buy another vechile while still making payments on my Jeep Commander. I had to settle on a payment from Chrysler for $2,000!!! Their first offer was $750.00!!! So, now I have to buy a engine quoted at 3,000 and this is not including labor.... Chrysler said they would not pay anything more since my truck has 82,000 miles on it.
    Thanks for sharing: it's not the best news that the Jeep Chrysler Settlement only = $2k but it gives me something to work with; I think that going after Chrysler is a waste of time, and my time is worth $. That said, once there is a fatal accident documented to be a result of Jeep Commanders' manufacturer's defects, then going after Jeep Chrysler will be worth it. I hope it doesn't come to that; apparently, Jeep Chrysler doesn't care if it comes to that, i.e., it will make it's money, save its money, and bury it's head in the sand until that day comes.
  • fatjack1fatjack1 Posts: 1
    The dealer price for 60k Service in Fairfield County, CT is about $1300! In round numbers:

Oil, filter: $50
    Tune up/plugs, PCV valve: $450
    4WD Service (transfer case, tranny, differentials): $550
    Coolant flush and thermostat: $250

Does anybody know of a reputable indendent garage in Danbury/Wilton area that might save me some $$$?
    BP/Getty in Wilton; Mike is the owner, and ask for Tom. I only let Tom work on this car. He is a genuine Jeep enthusiast, and, he is way ahead of the curve in understanding how to rehab these Commanders. Their prices are not low and they are not high, i.e., they are just right. What's more: their integrity makes up for Chrysler-Jeep Corporate's lack of the same. Also, they give you estimates for free which is not something that the Jeep dealer is willing to do (the dealer will charge to research a problem and to remedy a problem even if their remedy proves to be incorrect whereas this service station would not do that).

I'm so grateful to this shop for their work that I joke about removing the hood letters 'JEEP' and replacing it with 'TOM & MIKE'
    drain clogged. It's common problem in most Chryslers.