Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Commander Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I'm pondering buying an 08 Commander. Seems alot of the issues posted in this forum have been addressed by Chrysler via TSBs.

http://www.xkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_xk_2300406.pdf

Not sure if I should take a chance and buy an 08. ??
  • i got mine june '06 and had no problems until the end of this past summer, at which point i had about 10,000 on it. its just the v6, no packages really. The first set of problems i ran into was my tire pressure indicator light came on. I filled up my tires which were barely low, and the light went off. Of course now it happens every month or so. The other main problem I have is with my transmission feeling like it is jumping gears. I havent had any problems with the car stopping or stalling, but it definetly feels like i am tearing the gears right out of the tranny. Before this happens though, the engine light always comes on, and when i put the car into gear, every single letter is selected on the gear selection indicator on the dash. when i try to use the shift-tronic, it just goes even more screwey.....jumping between numbers and D. It has even happened where I will put it into gear, but the car wont go into gear and it will just rev. I was wondering mostly if anyone had the same transmission problem that I have. i also recently (last 4 days) started having power steering and hydraulic pressure problems. I am taking the car into the dealer (same dealership that left the oil cap off on my buddys Liberty after an oil change) next week to try to figure it out, but from reading a bunch of these posts im scared my car is gonna come back in worse condition!
  • i have also had problems with high aimed low beams, and rocks on the windshield. About a week after getting my first windshield replaced due to a 4" crack that would not stop spreading....my brand new one got chipped. also recently one of the lights behind the A/C control panel went out...THAT is a problem that i have never seen on a new car
  • I HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU RESEARCH ANY OTHER SUV.I HAVE A 2006 COMMANDER IT HAS BEEN IN THE DEALERSHIP 23 TIMES IN 1 YEAR FOR NUMEROUS PROBLEMS I AM AT THE FINAL REPAIR TO DEALERSHIP AND MANUFACTURER BEFORE I GO TO ARBITRATION AND THEN TO COURT THE ONLY THING I HAVE BEEN OFFERED SO FAR ARE EXCUSES THAT THEY CANNOT DUPLICATE PROBLEMS AND TO KEEP BRINGING IT BACK IF IT HAPPENS AGAIN.HERE IS A BREAKDOWN SO FAR.FRONT ROTORS CUT WITH LESS THAN 200 MILES THEN REPLACED WITHIN 45 DAYS,FRONT PASSENGER WINOW REGULATER MODULE AND COWL SEAL REPLACED AFTER 4 ATTEMPTS AT REPAIR,PAINT REPAIR 2TIMES IN SEVERAL AREASBUSHINGS AND HARDWARE FOR RR SUSPENSION REPLACED AFTER TWO ATTEMPTS AT REPAIR REAR WINDOW ON LIFT GATE LEAKS THREE ATTEMPTS TO LOCATE NO PROBLEM FOUND ALL THREE TIMES STILL LEAKS,ABS RECALL REAR ROTORS CUT BECAUSE OF WARPAGE GOING BACK TO BODY SHOP FOR PAINT AND TRIM REPAIR AGAIN,FACTORY REP OFFERED ME A 5/70 WARANTY AT NO CHARGE BUT I PURCHASED THIS VEHICLE NEW WITH ONLY 28 MILES ON IT 13 MONTHS LATER AND ONLY 7768 MILES AND STILL STUCK WITH IT. STAY AWAY FROM ALL CHRYSLER PRODUCTS NO QUALITY CONTROL FACT REP TOLD ME THEY ARE NOT STRICT TO QUALITY OF PAINT IN DOOR JAMBS,UNDER HOOD OR WHERE NOT VISIBLE TO THE AVERAGE BUYER.I'M SURE I'M FORGETTING SOMETHING. GOOD LUCK IF YOU DO BUY ONEALL I CAN DO IS GIVE YOU FAIR WARNING.OH YEAH I READ SOMEONE ELSES COMMENT ABOUT THATS WHY THEY HAVE WARANTIES. WELL A WARANTY IS SOMETHING THAT YOU HAVE IF YOU NEED IT,NOT BECAUSE YOU NEED IT.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    I recommend turning off your CAPS LOCK. People tend to ignore messages typed in ALL CAPS.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • I OWN A 2006 JEEP COMMANDER.IT HASALOT OF PROBLEMS WITH ONLY 7768 MILES IT HAS HAD PROBLEMS SINCE NEW WITH ONLY 28 MILES ON IT. I'M WRITING THIS TO WARN ANY RPOSPECTIVE BUYERS OF THE COMMANDER.IT IS GOING TO BE DISCONTIUED WITH THE 2009 MODELYEAR BEING THE LAT.LET THEM GO AWAY PLEASE.DONT BUY ANYMORE JUNK FROM CHRYSLER UNLESS IT IS PRE 1974
  • i'll try to remember that thanks
  • squeaking from rear isfrom suspension bushings and harsdware justhad mine replaced this week waitng to see if problem returns as do all other problems with mine good luck.
  • does clas action sound good to anyone if it can be done let me know i'm in.oh and dont get me wrong i have an06 and ido like the design but after so many ongoing problems with mine i want satisfaction as this is the first and maybe the last brand new vehicle i'll ever buy.
  • wj06wj06 Posts: 3
    i have the same problem you are having right now...for almost a week now...my warranty is expired so i don't know how much is it gonna be to get it fix ..did you get your fix yet?
  • wj06wj06 Posts: 3
    i have a commander '06 and had no problems until the end of this past summer, at which point i had about 10,000 on it. its just the v6, no packages really. The first set of problems i ran into was my tire pressure indicator light came on. I filled up my tires which were barely low, and the light went off. Of course now it happens every month or so. The other main problem I have is with my transmission feeling like it is jumping gears. I havent had any problems with the car stopping or stalling, but it definetly feels like i am tearing the gears right out of the tranny. Before this happens though, the engine light always comes on, and when i put the car into gear, every single letter is selected on the gear selection indicator on the dash
  • Me too! I have had the 06 Jeep Commander full package v8. for about 6 months now and it has been in the shop a bunch of times and also to different dealerships in my area. The low tire light always come on every to weeks and they say there is no leak. I have also had the problem with the jumping gears. It only happened once in a while on the highway going 50- 60 . Now it does it with regular driving. (all the time) Really hard jerking like it cant find the gear then I have to let go of the gas. Now the engine light just stays on and Im about to drop the thing off at the dealership once again.
  • izzytizzyt Posts: 1
    Hi there.., I have had a 2007 commander overland for just over a month and i have the same passenger side leak by the handle over the dash. The service dept has adjusted the sun roof, and removed the roof racks and resealed the holes. Still leaks :( Did you ever get the problem resolved? Please let me know.., my jeep is going back into the shop on Tuesday. Thank you.
  • Loved the look of the commander but boy am I believing to have made a big mistake with my purchase! My jeep has only 7000 miles bought it in May of 2007 and honestly for the times it goes into the shop it typically is not for one day or two rather days and presently over one week. While I have to credit the autoshop of the place I purchased it as they are keeping it this time until the problems are figured out, on the other hand I'm making nice sized monthly payments and have but a loaner car. I've read about many problems with the 2007 which I own but have not observed my problems with it. Since ownership (May/springtime) I have noticed heavy water in the door - actually in the door sill. How much water, well obviously this is only when it rains be it a light rain or heavy matters not - when I go to open the door up honestly about a pint to a quart of water comes out. I had broached this subject numerous times to my service people and they've noted it each time but the main concern wasn't just the water heavily where it shouldn't be dumping all over each time the door was opened - it was rather come (Winter time as it is presently) the possibilities of logical concern that the door(s) would freeze. Well unfortunately that is exactly what has occurred - the doors freeze continuously and it doesn't matter if it's 30 degrees or zero - - what a mess this is ridiculous. Can you imagine going out to your car in the driveway and going to work and not being able to get in the door. Usually we have to crawl through the back door to get into the front seat - then we have enough leverage to "push" the door open w/out breaking the handle. Now since May when I'd purchased this they replaced the door gasket and it still happens. Acutally even in the summer you literally have to stand away from the door when you open it otherwise you'd be soaked from all the water pouring out of the door sill. The door (we now have taken pictures of this) actually has solid ice along the base of the door sill that is approximately 1/4 of an inch thick mind you going from one side of the door to the other. This is on both front doors but primarily it is the drivers side door where a larger problem seems to exist. The dealer is now investigating drainage from the moon roof speculating that perhaps this could be where the water is coming from. Hmmm? However, we believe that this is not the issue and it is really a more fundamental design issue that is causing water to pool in the sill. Any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated.
  • kimscokimsco Posts: 2
    Exactly same problem with the water in the doors.
    Also having power/stalling problems.Just found out today I need 6 new pistons!! 18000 miles on my 06 Commander. Many other problems, that I would get tired typing about
  • Have had my 06 for 18 months have 27K on it at this time, nothing but problem after problem all of which I have seen noted on this forum....have the same issues with the freezing water in the doors, also sitting on the sill and having to make sure to back away when opening the door after a rain to avoid wet feet...dealership says it happens to all of them. Also having the almost stalling issue while idling....they say its "normal"....hate this car can not WAIT to get rid of it. this is my 5th jeep and will without a doubt be my LAST.
  • gigagirlgigagirl Posts: 21
    Hi well the dealership which had my car for almost two weeks - basically informed me it is, in all probability, due to the design of the car; furthering it with in essence it's something we'll probably have to live with! That is absolutely ""not acceptable"" in my book anyway, not for what I paid for this mobile of mine - I have called the corporate offices and they told me to please take it to another dealership. While I believe this is a "what for" request I will probably do just that. To be frank I'm researching lemon law however my car is listed with our business so I'm not quite sure if I'll follow through with that long process. But one thing that is absoultely for sure is that this matter will not fall on deaf ears! If you desire the phone number to report the problems it's 800.992.1997 (I spoke with an Amy) as I believe the more of us reporting this perhaps they'll observe they've got a situation on their hands. Interestingly my "gear head" son suggested why don't they drill holes in the sills of the doors in that way the water won't pool in a mass and further it will drain out. Leave it to a 22 year old to come up with what sounds, at this stage anyway, logical!!!
  • hemigirlhemigirl Posts: 2
    Hello - Was the check engine light on? How long before? Least it is still under warranty to 36k. We had an issue with the fan blower on the a/c - heater and the stitching came out of the seat. The tire issue may be a faulty sensor, or may be something in tire - we have battled tire deals for 2 years. Last time they recalibrated it - not the same issue - the pressure was about 5 pounds less - the new dealer ship claims there was a nail in the tire. Hope this stops the issues. How bad was the stalling. Ours does not stall just acts like clogged injector every now and then. We did not have the door problems. That could short out everything in the door - hope they get it fixed.
  • lemon06lemon06 Posts: 14
    Of course!! I'm in the repurchasing phase with Chrysler through a lemon law attornery. Report your problem to the dealer as soon as possible. If you wait they will charge a lot for the mileage you've used :lemon: until you reported it. After that you can drive as long as you desire up until they buy back that trash they sell.
    Not for nothing but you should have been requested a buy back. Write Chrysler a letter and request a buy back or replacement vehicle. If they don't respond then write to your local consumer affairs who will act as a mediator between you and Chrysler. Don't be surprised if they don't respond to you and or Consumer Affairs. Find out what the lemon law is in your state and make sure you file before its up other wise that truck is yours until you sell it. If all of the above fails contact an attorney that handles lemon laws in your state. Most states only require that you take a vehicle in the shop for the same problem three times. YOu have excessively put yourself through a lot of headache here. I started my process in Aug 07. Its now March and I've signed a repurchasing order with Chrysler on my 06 Jeep Commander for engine stalling, leaks and wind noise. Don't buy into that TBS or whatever that is people r saying is correcting the problem. It did nothing for me.
    Please don't buy into that. Don't buy these trucks.
    Find out what the lemon law is in your state. As you can tell this is not your problem alone many of us have experienced multiple problems with this truck. Keep all of your service records. Never mind calling Chrysler and complaining. it falls on deaf ears at best. Some people can get someone to say ok we'll take care of it. As long as they can prolong your problem they will all the way until your lemon law is up for your state and or your warranty runs out. Don't get yourself stuck with paying for their headache. I found that they resell buy backs to any unknowing consumer. Their suppose to let you know if it is one but some people are not aware and then the problems began.
  • tag225tag225 Posts: 1
    Hello:
    Can you tell me if your "Service 4wd system" issue was resolved? My Commander just started sending that signal and I made an appointment to bring it in tomorrow. I just wanted to get an idea if you were told what was causing the problem. Thanks.
  • gigagirlgigagirl Posts: 21
    Hi there, yes that was resolved amongst many other items actually. They replaced several sensors - one under the seat - one in the bumper and we are still having the issue whereby when you start the car up - it happens intermittently however it says: electronics disabled. My car again went into the shop this a.m. however this time - """they called me""" as the issue with the driver and passenger doors freezing and/or if it's not that cold to freeze they pocket up with at least a pint or more of water if it rains or snow melts. (we sent pictures to them showing this as well) Anyway I'm told two different engineers from elsewhere are coming in to further look at this as we'd gotten pictures of the ice on the door sills or water. Hope that helps.
  • I found a dealer with 4 2007 Commander leftovers. I was about to buy an 07 Limited with HEMI for 28K. It had a 44K sticker. I thought this deal was WAY too good to be true, after reading all the problems everyone has with these, I’m glad I stayed away! The car had a musty interior smell, clicking from the left rear of the engine, and the whistle everyone seems to have. The dealer kept touting the unlimited lifetime warranty, how useful is a warranty when the dealer won’t honor it and says everything is your fault. Thanks for all the great info. I worked for Chrysler 15 years ago, and I see the quality is still there. I’m all for American cars, but the quality still is bad. I’m buying another Toyota.
  • please do post about what they say regarding the water /ice in the doors issue, I have the same issue have had it since I got it 18 months ago and they tell me it happens with all of them. Im now having an all my dash lights flash brighter and dimmer brighter and dimmer and my lights oin the temp and fan dial are out. They say they fixed thie issue but nothing. The other thing Ive noticed recently is when I make a turn and then accelerate the car seems to bog down and almost hiccup before it gets going. Any one else have this issue?
  • I have an '08 4x4 Limited with Hemi and NAV. I purchased it on 2/26/08 and this happened to me 3 times now. I turn the vehicle on but no sound comes from the MyGIG stereo. I've tried switching it off and on, turning the car off and then back on but it never works. Also, when this happens, the outside temperature gauge reads 64 degrees - whether it's 30 out or 80 out (like today). The last couple of times, after I left the vehicle for a while, it worked fine when I got back in. Going to make a service appointement for next week I was just wondering if anyone else had had these problems. :cry:
  • heidisjeepheidisjeep Posts: 1
    Hi, I have a 2007 Jeep Commander and I cannot get my lift gate to open. I tried the key button and the handle and it will just chirp 2x. The last time I used it I closed it by hand leaving the grocery store and when I got home I tried to open it with the key button and the handle and it will not open. Any ideas?
  • branderibranderi Posts: 1
    Had the hesitation problem twice, both times as I was pulling out into traffic. I experimented with turning the traction controll off (button on the dash down near the shifter), and the problem went away. So, when I punched it while turning, the car's weight shifted, causing one of the back tires to break loose. At this point the traction controll took over and seemed to cut power to the engine.
  • lemon2006lemon2006 Posts: 2
    Hello all. My 06 has finally been repurchased by Chrysler after starting my complaint back in August 2007. It eventually had to come to hiring an attorney. I have posted on here before about my truck and ways to help you all on how to solve your problems towards buybacks. Was having trouble getting in under my old screen name which was lemon06. I had an appointment to meet with an ISG Agent and what they do is look over your vehicle for any damages or non factory items that were put on the vehicle. If Chrysler has not agreed to purchase any of your accessories prior to the meeting with the ISG agent then you have to remove all of what you put on. Any windshield cracks has to be replace. I kept my vehicle in mint condition so I had no problems with the walk through. I had to sign over the power of attorney, title release, a paper that stated I wasn't in a vehicle accident, etc. They also gave me a form to submit to DMV to receive my state taxes that I paid on my vehicle at the time of purchase. Not to mention the ISG agent didn't show up for our appointment because he failed to set his alarm. Without getting into it he did show up and I had to leave work to meet with him. My truck was paid off the next day. They sent the payment directly to my bank. Now I'm just waiting for my attorney to receive the remainder of the money so that I can get back all that I paid on the truck in the past two years plus interest. I had only put down 5,000.00 on the truck but because I reported the problem at about 12,000 miles instead at 6,000 when it started I lost just over $3,000.00 of my deposit. Good luck to you all in getting your problems resolved. I live in Va. and found my attorney on line. This is a great website, use it and don't let the dealers mislead you. The posters on this website are not crazy. We know when something is not right with our cars. I was told by a dealer one day that they have problems selling these trucks. I told him to go to Edmunds.com and read the forums and he'll see why he's having problems. Last but not least my truck was tagged to go to auction. I couldn't believe it. Here is a vehicle where the engine shuts off at any given time and can cost serious bodily injury and or death and Chrysler just put it back on the market. If you shop at auctions all I can say is find out why the vehicle was a buyback and check the vin number. The paper Chrysler gave me to be sent to DMV read confidential and not for public use. Take a guess what wasn't told. They are suppose to tell you about the buybacks if you all decide to purchase a used vehicle. ASK. There are legal consequences. Goodbye :lemon: