Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hybrids - Long On Mileage, Short On Soul

124»

Comments

• larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    A few test drive reviews of the CR-Z:

link title

link title

link title

link title
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,583
    Shoot, for those mileage numbers you could buy a MINI and have 3Xs the fun and the same gas mileage.

Hmmm....body roll, eh? I do recall that driving the Prius would be a lot like taking Mom's sofa out for a spin, but body roll in itself does not inhibit a car from being fun or from handling well (I mean, look at French cars) ---it just won't be very balanced going to turns aggressively, so you'll have to drift through them---not the fastest way around a race track, to be sure.

Of course, if you add body roll to lack of power, a CVT and non-supportive seating, then it starts to get ugly.

Visiting Host

• hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,192
    You're right about French cars, in that they could be fun to drive, in their own way. I wonder if the newer French cars are as softly sprung as the old ones.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,682
    edited September 2010
    Essentially, what they are telling us is that Japanese automakers look to the USA to market their "interesting" cars, not to the domestic market.

I think that the most real car lovers exist in the U.S. And the reason for this is because the best cars come from the U.S. Think 60's cars here. What a design decade!

And there's plenty of us baby boomers who remember that decade well. I just think we still love the best cars from the best carmakers, and they used to be from the U.S. Ford is really strong again and some of GM is getting turned around. And from all the Charger's, Magnum's and Avengers I see around Arizona and Nevada,
    I think a lot of people around here still love Chrysler. Maybe this new Fiatsler thing will really work out well for those two automakers.

So if Japanese carmakers are "testing" new rigs out on us I could really understand it as being true. I just love the stuff Mitsubishi is laying out these days, too. Their new "baby" Outlander, the Outlander Sport, is a fine new Outlander that I am going to have to take a closer look at. It would be perfect for these new cold environs I'm in in northeastern Nevada.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

Well the best cars USED to come from the USA but that hasn't been the case since the 1960s---with a few exceptions.

Most innovation in technology and design comes from abroad. US automakers can be clever, but they don't do their homework.

People don't want innovation for innovation's sake...they want cars that also work day after day.

• lemkolemko Posts: 15,153
    Forget about reducing emissions and fuel consumption. How about subtracting the driver?

Driverless Vans 8000 Mile Trip to China
    Only goes to remind me that the future of hybrids seems to include less and less driver participation. I suppose if you want maximum fuel efficiency, this is a given.

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,587
    I see driverless cars on the road around here all the time :shades: :sick:
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,192
    Portions of release taken from AutoWeek...

"Honda is set to provide the CR-Z with an all-new four-cylinder gasoline-engine option as part of plans to broaden the compact coupe's appeal in key world markets, including North America.

With forced induction and Honda's patented VTEC-i fully variable camshaft-timing system, the new 1.6-liter engine is aimed at providing the performance of a typical 2.0-liter engine. sources in Japan say the new engine is likely to be offered in two guises: a standard version making about 160 hp and a highly tuned version aimed at matching the 200 hp of the discontinued 2.0-liter four-cylinder used in the Civic Type R. The latter engine is likely to form the basis of a CR-Z Type R tentatively due out in late 2011.

Plans to go beyond the single hybrid-engine option for the CR-Z come as sales of the coupe have begun to sag in Honda's all-important home market. The Japanese carmaker's intentions to add a gasoline engine to the lineup were first hinted at with the CR-Z Type R concept revealed at the recent SEMA show in Las Vegas. Unlike the proposed production version though, that car ran a turbocharged version of the CR-Z's existing 1.5-liter four-cylinder."
124»
This discussion has been closed.