Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best vehicle for $40,000

123457»

Comments

• dhanleydhanley Posts: 1,531
    "I would say the resale value is suspect vs. your 2 German considerations, 335, C350. "

Well, resale's only really relevant if the prices are broadly similar. Supposedly, the v8 g8's going to top out around 35K.

That being said, i'm sure the g8's going to be tuned as a powerful family car.
  • socalkidsocalkid Posts: 8
    It sounds like the new C-Class will be "tuned more like a powerful family car" than the G8. I'm just not getting a sense of real "sport" from this C-Class. Correct me if you think I'm wrong.

Needless to say, the Mercedes interior will be superior.

I think they could have pushed this car futher. Everyone else is doing 300hp, why can't they? That's my big problem with Mercedes these days - too safe, too vanilla ice cream.
  • circlewcirclew Posts: 8,369
    Resale or lower residual value with repect to mileage/age is relevant if it's a U.S. brand.

Taking the price of a 2004 GTO with $33K price, 2007 retail is $20,255. A low optioned Merc holds a 2007 price of $23,800 assuming an out of the door price of $33K.

Not apples/apples but close considering the GTO is a Holden off-spring also.

Merc will always be higher as a relative percentage of price.

Regards,
    OW
    First of all, I said "don't matter unless the prices are quite similar" and you find two cars with the same sticker prices. :)

Also, that GTO almost certianly didn't go out the door for 33K. The resale is low because the cars sold for invoice-rebates, and most likely had low-interest financing as well. The GTO was a clear "miss" for the marketplace and were quite hard to move.

That "low optioned merc" for 33K is a c230 with very few options.

I used to buy the "depreciation" rationilization until i ran the #'s with a few of my own cars. Had the saab and the BMW, the bmw holds its value very well, the saab depreciated like a rock..etc. The cars had almost the same sticker (smidge under 40K as in this topic), but the saab was cheaper in the long run because of the thousands saved up front. And those savings also factor into taxes, interest, etc.

I think if you want to determine the real financial viability, you have to compute depreciation from "out the door" prices and factor in finance deals, etc.
  • I hear that the British version of the G8 replaces the British version of the GTO. So it will be more of a muscle car, I guess.
  • socalkidsocalkid Posts: 8
    I'm really just thinking of leasing a car for 3 years. I just wanted a great car between 30k-40k but reading these forums has me totally depressed. People frequently bash all the cars out there. Here are some examples:

BMW 3 series: cold horrible interiors, cramped, punishing and stiff ride. Overpriced.

2008 Mercedes C Class: boring, quality has dropped, performance isn't there.

Lexus: My wife has a 2007 IS250. I like it but can't see owning two Lexus (Lexi?).

2008 Cadillac CTS and Pontiac G8: GM makes crap, etc, etc.

It goes on and on. I used to like cars but now all I see are flaws. I'm scared I'm going to panic and do something stupid.

My friend keeps telling me, "Dude, there just isn't anything inspiring out there. You should get the 2008 Accord sedan. 255hp, sweet design, great balance, nice interiors and gas milage. Forget everything associate with a Honda Accord, this thing will be amazing! You can get one loaded with nav, leather, etc,etc for 28K. Why pay more?"

What do people think I should do?
  • circlewcirclew Posts: 8,369
    Use what others say as only a guide. At the end of the day, follow your heart!

Regards,
    OW
    Honestly, there's no car in this class that's "bad." Ny feeling is that cars at the same price point are about as good, just built with different priorities:

Bmw: sedan that feels like a sportscar
    Merc: super-solid and luxurious
    Lexus: quiet and reliable
    CTS: big and bold
    G8: Dunno. Didn't drive it yet.
    acura: lots of high tech gadgets for the money

There's a lot of variance even in models. A manual 335i coupe with sports package is pretty different than an automatic 328i sedan.

Just drive 'em and pick the one you like.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,606
    "What do people think I should do?"

Be an individual. Be your own person, make your own decisions:

Don't base your decision on internet postings! It's your money. Go DRIVE each car that interests you. See how it looks, feels, tastes, smells, sounds and drives to you. Evaluate the cars and the value you perceive. Then decide. It does not matter one bit what anybody else thinks of the car that you choose and pay for, if it is the right car for you. Unless someone else is paying...

Does it matter if your friend is uninspired? Are you?

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

• ccd1ccd1 Posts: 140
    I think you have to define what you are looking for before you can state what is the best vehicle. For example, in terms of pure performance, the WRX STI and EVO would be hard to beat for the money. However, few of us could probably accept the rest of the package.

If you want a sports car, there is the RX-8, Audi TT, and the 350Z.

If you are talking sports sedans, cars like the Audi A4, CTS, BMW 328 (the 335 in any flavor will end up over $40k), Acura TL Type S, Infinity G35, are in the mix.

You have to decide what you are looking for to even begin to determine what the top choices are for under $40K
  • smu1976smu1976 Posts: 110
    2008 SAAB 9-3 Convertible
    9-3 AERO CAB
    Exterior: White
    Interior: BLACK-PARCHMENT
    Original MSRP: $51,325
    Luxury Sale Price:
    Stock #: 1300
    Mileage: 8 miles
    SAAB Downers Grove, Downers Grove (Chicago IL)
    Try getting that off an Audi, CTS, BMW, Acura, Infinity? You will have to get a used one or beat to heck loaner, this has 8 miles, from just transport.
    V6 Turbo power, higher torque, 4 year 50K bump to bump coverage, 3 year 36 all service (oil, tune, fluids) plus a Saab ragtop will hold their value against any of the above cars, not a sedan, not a wagon but a Saab ragtop. Plus, the number one car in safety, yes the SAAB convertible, none of the above can touch it in safety.
    Onstar, turn by turn "live directions", why look at a T.V. map when I can talk with someone live? Car has own phone number which turns off the stereo and I can talk through it. NICE
    Want a base Saab sedan, leather, 23-24K, way less than an accord, less than a HyundY better warranty, better safety, more room, foot, head, shoulder, rear set, trunk. Looks, you either love em or hate them, can't do anything about that.
    On my fifth, will keep with them, been good to me and my family, with some hitting 150K (4 cylinders), 20 years ago.
  • smu1976smu1976 Posts: 110
    008 SAAB 9-3 Convertible
    9-3 AERO CAB
    Exterior: White
    Interior: BLACK-PARCHMENT
    Original MSRP: $51,325
    Luxury Sale Price: $41,995 Click here to inquire about current leasing specials. Stock #: 1300
    Mileage: 8 miles :blush:
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    This forum died.

Can nobody afford $40k cars now that gas is $4 a gallon?
    My wife can, I can't... :sick: :confuse:

High oil and all that it affects, stock market, low interest rates for investments all conspire against us Joe Averages...

• bvdj84bvdj84 Posts: 1,721
    Well, when people look for cars, and when you can afford a $30-40k car, that opens alot of options up. Try not to make it so hard, honestly if you drove a loaded Accord and were completely happy with it, when compared to other cars, then just get the Accord. The price does not always mean anything, like MB, Cadillac, and even BMW, you are buying the name, and though a great car, it compares to many other models out there. Like for instance, for me, I would probably get a Acura TL-S model, and I think it is like the mac daddy of the Accord, and for me, is amazing! I would buy a BMW before buying a MB, because I think most MB's are ugly, and way overrated.but, hey thats me. Just look at the price you are paying for that. Sure, it would be cool to actually say that hey, I drove a MB for a few years.

It overwhelming looking for a car, but literally, drive all the cars you possibly could see yourself driving, and what makes you happy, and if it happens to be the cheaper cars, then who cares, and if it happens to be a G8, then go for it! After all, it is just a car! Not an investment, all cars depreciate.

Like for instance, I am leasing a loaded Pontiac G6, not by choice, but I am, and I am growing to appreciate its options, it really offers a good package, though, I am totally a Honda guy, and probably be right back to Honda later on, but I am learning to appreciate the G6, and appreciate the comparison between a G6 to an Accord.
    It really is a great set up, but I can also list some things that it can learn from other company's as far as overall build. But, really, the resale values of cars are based on History, and I think pontiac is coming up a bit, but has a much to learn.

My next car, I am think of leasing a TSX or even a TL. That would be fun!! Its a car, have we forgotten how much money we really dump into our ride, in which takes us to point A to point B? I really don't need a new car, but I am. Just think how much more money we all would have, if we downsized to a car in our means.
    Actually, I do drive what some folks consider the uber-Accord, an '05 Acura TL. I quite enjoy it, a lot of car for the $$$. Still a great design imo...

Regarding the TL,

I'd say (arguably) the best looking Honda product since the Acura Legend of the early 1990s.
    I agree and have oft posted as such. Honda/Acura, to me, has always been from the "handsome, but somewhat bland/inoffensive (e.g. Acura RL)" school of design. The original Legend Coupe, an homage to the BMW 633 of yore, was the only Acura that I thought to be a real "looker" until the '04 TL.

Good, reliable, well-rounded and built cars. But stylistically, generic... And my family has gladly owned several!

I'd take that over this

The ol' Legend certainly looks cleaner than the new TSX. But that Legend, and it's predecessor, to me were "generically" handsome. I've seen a couple of the new TSX, I think they look better in person than in print. Not the new "Shield of Acura" grille insert, however!

• bvdj84bvdj84 Posts: 1,721
    There is some truth to cars looking much better in person than on a picture. The Accord looks great in person, and kind blah on picture. I find the TSX to be a great new look, it looks very futuristic, and seems Acura is taking that approach to all of their cars. Hopefully they don't put too much of that into the new TL, which I feel will probably have some of the TSX's looks. The Acura shield could use a bit of work, making it smaller, and perhaps lower further down the grill. But, hey, the whole car seems to look good to me.
    The car that fulfills your needs, wants & desires. And that you can afford!

To many great choices vs. individual's criteria to name a blanket winner.

• According to my personal point of view you are not able to get a best vehicle in this range.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,665
    ...but you could get the best vehicle for 40k.

Just like you could get the best vehicle that 5K will buy. It won't be the best vehicle, but it will be the best under that dollar cap...
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,215
    Agree with the post above me. This is "Best for $40k" not "Best at any price and it just so happens to cost $40k"

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

123457»