Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TSX vs Lexus IS 250

14567810»

Comments

• dbw1dbw1 Posts: 2
    Your comments sum up nicely why I now have the TSX. Looked at them all plus the BMW 3 series but prefered the TSX. The 4 cyl inthe TSX is a beautiful engine. Great overall driving package and incredable value. My previous vehical was a 2003 Maxima.
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Posts: 813
    I agree with you- owned my 06 tsx w/Nav 6 spd for two months now- almost 6,000 miles. it is a fun car to drive and does very well at highway speeds. have owned numerous cars with turbo engines- the tsx is just as good IMO. I especially love the way it shifts- very smooth. I test drove the mazdaspeed 6- not very impressed with it's 6 speed transmission- hard to change gears. Most of the tsx's i see on the roads are black so it must be a popular color. I have milano red/ebony int with black and gray painted-on pinstripes. Enjoy the car and happy traveling.My friend is a acura service manager so he said he would give me great deals on service (free oil changes, etc)He also got me the price for my tsx-excellant deal-it does pay to know someone
  • from_flfrom_fl Posts: 113
    TSX is another Honda FWD Accord.
  • frisconickfrisconick Posts: 1,275
    TSX is based on the European Accord that is smaller thant the American. It a tighter suspension and a much nicer interior.
    i like the tsx looks better- or should i say euro-accord.
    There is a Lexus based on the Camry, what's the big deal?
    i am trying to figure that out myself- i own a tsx and i do not care if it looks like or is based on something else. I love it
    The TSX is a great looking car, handles great and plenty of hp. :shades:
  • johnny420johnny420 Posts: 473
    He's just baiting and trying to hook someone. Click on his name and read his last 10 posts or so. He's nothing but a flame artist.

It's great you guys are happy with your cars. :shades:
    a troll indeed! :mad:

I bought a TL, and loved it, and for a second car I was looking at the G 35, IS, etc. then I got a TSX loaner, and fell in love with. I use the TSX for buzzing around the city, and the TL for highway driving. TSX gets very good mpg driving around the city. :shades:
    a tlroll, txsroll indeed!
    which car do you have?
    OK pat :) We will just stick to car talk.
  • I've been driving my TSX for the past few weeks and loving it. Spent the weekend in LA and my rental car was an 07' G35 w/navi. The G35 is so freaking fast, I wondered how long it would take before I wrapped myself around some object on the side of the road. It was interesting to come back and drive my TSX and realize what a great balance this car has of power, features and luxury. I'm obviously an Acura fan, because with all the power in the world, I just can't see myself switching to infinity. I've been driving a co-workers 2004 g35 coupe here and there for the past few years. A lot of power, but like the 07 I drove that exhaust sound like a potato is trapped up there and needs to be tossed out. I've read all the discussions about power on the site comparing every car. However, for everyday driving 306hp on Toronto roads with speed traps everywhere...hmmm..nah! I'm having enough problems driving 205hp slowly.
    Not TSX nor TL. Honda/Acura has no "wow" product after NSX and Senna's death. They have noticed the problem and trying to fix it(for example, the latest Accord concept car).
    I figured that from reading your comments. What kind of car do you drive? I went thru my so-called WOW stage- 1991 Mazda Mx-6 GT 5 speed and a 1998 Eagle talon TSI AWD 5 speed. both had turbo. do not need it any longer tsx is fine
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Well, I'm thinking that if he/she has neither of the subject vehicles, this probably isn't the right place to talk about what he/she does drive. ;)
    so sorry- was just curious.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Not a problem! :)
  • For those interested in purchasing or have never driven both vehicles, here's my feedback on the IS250 and the TSX. Both cars (My TSX, GF's IS) are manual with Navi. The navigation on both are easy to use and have similar menu and setup features. The graphics on the Lexus are gorgeous. Reminds me of have a mini MAC on board. The TSX navi is clear and easy to use and the TSX navi has a larger screen For day to day driving the TSX is easier to view. Although hats off to the cool icons in the Lexus. The stereo in both cars are good with the advantage to the Lexus in overall sound quality. As a former musician spending a lot of time in the studio, sitting in the Lexus reminds me of sitting in the studio and playing back a recording after being mixed by an engineer. The sound is crystal clear! Seats in the lexus are much softer than the TSX, and at times too soft, while the seats in the TSX are firmer, maybe too firm. So, it's a toss up for me. The guages and overall cabin in the lexus is more refined with a fit and finish second to none. The visibility in the TSX is far better and making a lane change in the Lexus requires some serious neck turning, and even after straining my neck I was still not sure if I was going to side swip someone. The TSX is not as refined inside, but is not far behind. TSX cabin feels quite a bit larger and if your 6', like me the Lexus feels a bit too snug (but not uncomfortable in the front). Ok, onto driving. The lexus is so quiet and smoothe, you wonder if the car is actually on. The car handles very well, but lacks the fun factor for me. Taking the TSX from about 3800rpm to 7000 is about as fun as it gets for the 200hp range. The TSX engine is quiet but has a thick throaty sound I love. So, if you want luxury silky smoothe, go with the Lexus, if you want a smoothe growl, go with the TSX. The lexus suspension is amazing, and you soaks up the bumps like a sponge, while the TSX has a firmer ride. Somewhere in between would be best for me. Almost forgot!If you're heard that the Lexus has no back seats - it's true. Maybe someone 5'3" can fit in the back, but you're not going on any 2 hour rides in the Lexus with 4 people (unless it's a smurf family). The TSX back seats are good for even a 6' footer in the back with a 6' footer in the front. I paid 36k for TSX (list is 40,200). My GF paid 50k for the Lexus (not sure what list is). Overall, I would not trade my TSX for the Lexus, however it's a gorgeous ride. Just a little too 'soft' for me. Inside, both are far more luxurious than a 323, 325 BMW. Infact, as a previous owner of a 3 series, I would say both are far better value. Albeit, the performance and handling of the 3 series is fantastic. Inside the cockpit of the 3series, it's a black and orange light show, with a very snug cabin. So, dazzzzz it! Would love to hear what others think about either car.

I'm totally jealous reading some of the posts about pricing of cars in the US. My god! 27k for a TSX??? 35K for the lexus???? Grrrrrrrr. A honda civic SI costs about 25K in Canada!!!! Sweet lord of mercy!!! Freaking joke! Anyways. Ltr.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    Great post gdoctsx!
  • i know this is quite irrelavent but what about the volvo s40T AWD?, similar MSRP, more power, luxury, AWD etc
  • broweebrowee Posts: 1
    gdoctsx1- I had noticed the head-turning styling of the Lexus IS 250 AWD only AFTER having already purchased my 2006 Acura TSX, so I found your detailed assessment rather interesting and informative. For the record, I think the TSX has rather nice styling too -- don't you think it's reminiscent of the previous BMW 3-Series styling?? To-date, no buyer's remorse, though I agree that the seat on the TSX is a bit too firm. Since I'm 6'2" with a bit of a bad lower back, I was curious about YOUR SPECIFIC ISSUES with the "too firm" and "too soft" seats on the TSX and IS 250, respectively. I also find the TSX to have a somewhat narrow driver seat back with bit too substantial side bolsters to keep you in place during turns. For me, this seat firmness/bolstering leads to lower back stiffness during longer drives. From a handling perspective, I've also read that the IS 250 has poor road feedback through the steering wheel and can be a bit jittery/twitchy on the highway in taking the turns of the road. Is that your experience with your GF's IS 250 too?? My overall assessment of the TSX vs. the IS 250 is that the TSX is a much better value at $28,500 US with GPS vs. $38,000-$40,000 US for the IS 250 with comparable equipment that is standard on the loaded TSX. I agree that the TSX is roomier -- especially in back. I would assume it's also roomier in front/back vs. the former BMW 3 Series you had?? Plus, the TSX has an excellent driver's position for viewing the road and driving the car vs. feeling like it's driving you. Do you feel like you're in a hole when you're driving the IS 250? I did in the G35X which I had also test driven. I've also wondered if it's harder for a taller person to get in and out of the IS 250 because it seems lower to the ground than the TSX with a lower roofline. Though I have an automatic, the TSX is very fun to drive, with nimble handling (even better than the Acura TL). I feel it also has very good acceleration, especially for a 4 cylinder. The TSX is an excellent car, but perhaps only second to the IS 250 AWD in exterior/interior styling, fit and finish. That said, I'd purchase the Acura TSX again, which I guess says it all.
  • kclbkclb Posts: 11
    Aloha all...

I would like some feedback regarding purchasing a car. I am looking into either the IS 250 or TSX. I had a good experience with driving the cars. My problem is that I've always wanted the IS 250. I just like the style, interior design, front / backup sensors, and smart key feature. The price is quite high...about $36, 494 for the particular package that I want. I'm hoping to drop the price but I'm not sure how much they would give me.

There is only one Lexus in Hawaii and only one Acura in Hawaii. Here are the numbers...

Lexus: $587 per month / 60 months @ 5.75 apr - Financing, trading in my current Toyota Corolla S '05, and also putting down $5000. That was the deal they gave me without any price negoitating.

Acura: $550 per month / 60 months - thru Honda Financial I believe, trade in my car $9000, with $5000 down, he drops the price from $32755 + $255.40 door guards + fees to $29015.40 + fees. He will check other banks and/or credit unions if I can get a better deal on financing.

What do you think people? I'd love to get some good feedback. I really think I should get the car that I want but I'd probably save more financially if I got the TSX over the IS250.

Thanks.
  • gdoctsx1gdoctsx1 Posts: 60
    It's hard to say really, I drive my gf's car a lot, so i'm back and forth on the seat issue. Everytime I drive her car i think, man these seats are too soft..nice, but kinda like thick leather foam. I don't feel the lexus feels as connected to the road as the acura. My previous 3 series had great road feel, but car felt more narrow (not sure what the stats are) and overall dash, cabin was not as nice as the tsx. I just put the gun metal "nickel" finish a-spec rims on the car. So, with the black it looks rather aggressive/cool:)

I've read all of the 0-60 figures, comments on the various threads and I'm kinda surprised at what people have to say about the tsx's performance. I've driven and owned some fast cars and the tsx pulls great in comparison to my previous 3 series. I love it in 3,4th gear on the highway and love the smootheness of the engine. Many of the 3 series cars had about 180-225hp for quite sometime (granted more torque than the tsx). It's only recently they bumped it up from 255hp to 300hp. It was rare to read a thread about someone complaining about the 325 or 323 being underpowered. I don't think the car is underpowered, in fact, i have a blast cranking the car out everyday. I've raced (on a select few occasions:) some cars on the highway and the tsx is a very quick car. The reality is, the tsx is a close to perfect car for the money. I guess people want to pick on every cars potential short comings. However, the is250 is far being any faster than the tsx. It has a couple good gears, but feels slow cause it's so damn quiet and smoothe. My dad loves driving it. If the Is350 had some back seats i'd consider it later on. For now, i'll drive the best car in the segment :shades:
    From your post,
    "It's hard to say really, I drive my gf's car "a lot", ..."
    "..For now, i'll drive the best car in the segment.."

IS? :shades:
  • gdoctsx1gdoctsx1 Posts: 60
    If you read my post and realize what forum I'm posting in - you'd know I was refering to the TSX :D

That's the thing with you Lexus guys, more money than neurons firing :P

Kidding! Both fun cars, but I'll keep my 15grand difference in the bank :shades:
  • sader2004sader2004 Posts: 4
    I am in the market for a new car and the IS 250 and the TSX are my two finalists. I have test driven both cars. They are both fabulous vehicles in their own right. The TSX certainly handles better then the IS. However, the IS is quieter and more refined. The fit and finish on both vehicles is excellent, but I prefer the IS' real wood trim and heated AND VENTILATED seats. Both navigation systems are excellent, however the TSX's is less fussy(no need to switch regions and can be operated while the vehicle is in motion). The stock audio systems are both great, unless of course you opt for the Mark Levenson in the IS. The ML system blows just about any stock audio system out of the water. Unfortunately, in order to get the system, the IS must be ordered and it would take at leat a month. However there several reasons I am leanig toward the TSX. It is roomier than the IS. I am only 5'9 but I felt crammed in the IS. Second of all is the price(42K for the IS with NAV and ML package and TSX 30K fully loaded). You can not go wrong with either car but I will save the extra 11K for something else.
14567810»
This discussion has been closed.