Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TSX vs Lexus IS 250

Comments

• johnny420johnny420 Posts: 473
    from_fl, just give it a rest. No matter how you cut it, the IS looks like a Sonata.

Now go crawl back under that rock, troll.
  • from_flfrom_fl Posts: 113
    johyy420, ...you wrote.."BTW, I think the IS is a terrific looking car. I just have a feeling that the driving experience would be a little isolating for my tastes. ..."

Which car looks the better? TSX or IS?
    message #163 3-23-06
  • Terrific looking car?...what are you smoking? The IS250 has the ugliest looking rear and fat on the side. Enough of this, the IS looks like a KIA :mad:
  • glenn386glenn386 Posts: 47
    wow,

the testosterone is running in the high cotton around here. Differing opinions on the relative looks of the tsx and the IS250 are just that - opinions. For every person that thinks the tsx has better looks I can find someone who thinks that the IS is better looking. throwing around insults and making unsubstantiated claims like "the tsx is a glorified Civic just shows ignorance. The tsx has a different engine, wishbone suspension, better quality interior parts...etc....etc...etc...

I will be happy with either car.

Like my grand pa told me,"If everyone liked the same things..... everyone would be after your grand ma".
    johyy420, ...you wrote.."BTW, I think the IS is a terrific looking car. I just have a feeling that the driving experience would be a little isolating for my tastes. ..."

Which car looks the better? TSX or IS?

What does my previous post have to do with your idiotic comment that the TSX looks like a Civic?
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    We need to right now back off the personal comments.

We are here to talk about the cars and not each other - let's keep that in mind.

Thanks.
    I was a day or so away from buying the IS 250 awd, and the posts here got me to test drive the TSX again. I drove the Automatic last time and the car was nice. I drove the manual tranny this time and the car is much better.

I can buy the Tsx non nav for $26,500 (plus ttl& doc). I can buy the Is250 with luxury package (similar to the TSX equipment) for $33,600 plus ttl& doc).

I think the IS is a better car, but I don't know if it is $7100 better. This a third "fun car" for me, and the manual tranny won't be used commuting so i think it will just be a great drive.

I am now confused where three days ago I was sure that I would buy the IS 250.

I guess the question is:

1) the IS 250 awd
    or
    2) The TSX and an incredible wide screen home theater system.
  • pg48477pg48477 Posts: 309
    If you going with the manual and looking for a fun car, TSX is the way to go. 6 speed is just way better on TSX, you’ll have much more fun driving it then IS. If you looking for an ultimate fun vehicle, go with the BMW. 325 is much more fun to drive then both of them and it’s the same money as IS, even cheaper if you lease. Some people, including myself, does not like interior that much; but if fun is a major factor 3 is the way to go, TSX is second on my list. I have 325 and love it but if I could only replace MT with the one from TSX it would make it a perfect car.
  • lexus_jnlexus_jn Posts: 102
    I prefer IS over TSX. However, if I had to choose between TSX and 325i, I would take TSX in a heart beat. It's not my intention to offend you but I think TSX offers a bit of "luxury" feel as compared to the plain boring BMW interior (not to mention TSX is almost 10k cheaper given the same list of options as well as reliability in a long term). I also find IS a hell of fun to enjoy...the engine is responsive, the car has road feel and firm suspension..At the speed of 90-100mph, you hardly notice any shaking with the engine and feel like you're cruising since the wind noise is restrained to the mimimal... that's what I call fun. One time I did change lanes back and forth on the highway and find almost no body roll at all by switching lane#1 to 6 and vice versa...what a thrill, isn't it?. And the fun here is not just driving - openning doors or turning on enginee w/o a fob is also fun...playing with the ML sound system & navigation is hella fun ...for an ultimate fun on the road??? well, I think there's more life than just fun. Again, we already have an IS vs 3-series thread that seems more approriate.
    Honda makes the best MT. I totally agree. I had several Hondas before(CRX, Accord). They were all joy to drive with MT especially the CRX. However, I am older now with kids. It is tough to drive/enjoy MT with kids yelling at back. I still like MT over AT. The IS has paddle shifter(I have tried it). It allow me to enjoy the essence of MT while keep an eye on kids at back.
    Glenn asked a question and I gave him my take on it. Styling is very subjective both in and out, and so did not think it’s useful to voice my opinion, in this case. I think we all know that Lexus make one of the best cruisers and if that’s what he wants, get a Lexus. IMO both 325 and TSX is more fun to drive then IS, I think Glenn can figure out for himself which design he likes better and which navigation system looks better and more useful.

Playing Nintendo can also be fun, but I thought we were talking about driving fun. In any case, I don’t think you should be playing with sound system and navigation while changing lane 1 to 6 at 90MPH :)
    This statement perfectly explained your position and made me understand why you bought a Lexus: “I think there's more life than just fun.”
    If "driving fun" is your most important factor then Subaru is the car that you should get. It offers more fun than most 3-series....why pay more than 35K for a 325? hmm...you're swaying me away from IS vs TSX discussion already :-).

Don't blame you at all since I used to think like you when I was in college 12 years ago. Now, I am a section manager for one s/w development group and I want more than just "driving fun" from a car. I do consider luxury, quality/reliability, performance and safety are the most important factors and IMHO, Lexus is the best choice. I don't think TSX should be put on par with IS or 3-series but as for value it's a better choice than IS and 3-series.

FYI, I bought a Lexus not just because I don't want to have fun...As I have said from time to time...IS is a car that you can have tons of fun. I just don't need the "ultimate fun" that you referred to. And of couse there is something else more important ...it's an ownership experience...

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=14&article_id=3193
    I have driven WRX extensively, and while it’s fast it is not more fun to drive then BMW. Terrible 5-speed, turbo leg and steering feel was not even close. Plus, I already mentioned that leather, power seats and climate control are the only luxury features that I need, but it’s a must.

I only mentioned BMW in this discussion because it was relevant to the question asked, as Glenn did not purchase his vehicle yet. You turned it in to an argument, again.

It’s funny that you mentioned what you do for a living, I was about to ask you that too. Based on your arguments in this forum and others, I honestly thought that you just graduated from college and got your first car. Don’t get feisty now, it’s just my opinionJ

I don’t need a survey to feel better about my ownership experience; my car is flawless and I have the best dealer. I never said that Lexus does not take care of it’s customers; it does not change the fact however, that both three and TSX offer much better driving experience. IS is the one and only Lexus that being marketed as a sporty type of a car. I have to admit that it’s a step in the right direction, but they still have a way to go.
    I think we need to stop arguing which is the better car, as it’s going nowhere. IS is clearly the best car for you and TSX is the best for me, we just have different preferences.

What important at this point is which would be the best car for Glenn? Clearly Glenn is looking for a fun car to drive (point to TSX), however he did not mention anything about luxury and gadgets. Glenn, can you give us a better idea on what is more important to you, so we can give you our opinion in that respect.
    absolutely,

My wife and I Currently own a TL (2months old), a 2003 Yukon, and a 2001 Honda Civic.

The Yukon covers my trips to Montana to photograph and Paint Wildlife (perfect for the intended use). My wife is a vp for Chain of hospital's and drives 30K per year so the comfort of the TL is perfect. The Civic is going to be passed down to my 16 year old daughter when she gets her license next month (again the perfect car for a new driver). But, when I was looking for the TL I drove the IS 250, GS 35x and Audi S4, and realized that I really wanted a fun to drive ...weekender. I don't need the car for any other purpose. (self imposed...wife imposed?..$35K limit)

The IS was the clear leader after I drove THE is and the TSX automatic. When I drove the TSX Manual everything changed. I now believe the IS is a better car but the TSX is a better value.......thus the my indecision.
    I see the TSX as 90% of the car at 80% of the cost.

i could go either way, but I would definitely wait until September for the 07 if I could get rdx's turbo engine in the TSX. The Dealers say they don't know if the TSX will have the same engine in 07 or the RDX Turbo.

Has any one heard definitively if the TSX retains the current engine in 07?
    I don't see them changing an engine in 07, Acura might add few horses to the current one. I'm more then sure the the new 2.3 turbo will be used in TSX, but most likely when the car is redesigned, probably in 08.

Out of cucuriosityhave you looked at MIMiniI think it's an ulultimateun car.
    Quite frankly I think it's your intention to borrow this TSX vs IS thread to talk down Lexus and rave your BMW. Your posts did reveal that not only in this forum but also in other threads. Unlike you I would never sneak into the G35 vs 3-series and praise Lexus although I like G35 coupe much better than 3-series. I am surprised that you somehow lost your cool... jumping up & down and then threw a bunch of cheap shots at me. I regretted about mentioning my work title but I did not use that info to fabricate anything. On a few occassions I had some arguments with a couple guys like Dewey, kdshipo in the IS vs 3-series but at least they did not mock others on a personal level the way you did.
    "I now believe the IS is a better car but the TSX is a better value"

I also thought so
    Both are nice cars. Just do what ever makes you happy..
    I also thought so

Again, better how? Better by your definition is a well-appointed luxury cruiser (based on what I've read of yur posts).

By my definiton, it's a car that offers a better connection to the road, and a nimble handling feel, with a high fun-to-drive factor. I think the TSX is the better car by this defintion.

Really, you must define your terms before you enter into an arguement.

That said, the last poster has it right. Buy what makes you happy.
This discussion has been closed.