Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TSX vs Lexus IS 250

Comments

• glenn386glenn386 Posts: 47
    Why does it have to be an argument?

How about just plain opinion, these two cars have thousands of variables. Asking others opinion may just bring out a finer point that I wasn't considering.

I have test driven both cars three times, so a grand total of maybe 30 minutes +/- in each. I respect the opinion of anyone who owns either of these cars, they have a much larger base of knowledge than mine.

I doubt that lexus_in will ever be persuaded that you are correct, that the TSX is the better car. Will he ever convince you that the IS is a better car than your TSX?

I respect both of your opinions. As I said, I am interested in your greater base of knowledge and experience with your respective cars.

No need to argue or win a debate, in my book.

Thanks to both of you for your help in evaulating your cars.
  • mrgold35mrgold35 Posts: 73
    I’ve been reading through these posts and I wonder are we comparing the right apples to apples. The 1st generation IS 300 was from 2001-2005. It seems the 2004-2006 TSX was designed to compete against the 1st Gen Lexus in the entry level sport/luxury or luxury/sport sedan market. There were not a lot of choices a few years ago in this under $30k market. You either picked a very expensive Honda/Toyota/Nissan/GM/Ford or a very inexpensive BMW/Audi/Mercedes/Volvo. Either choice left a lot of us wanting more from our vehicles than what was offered. Honda/Acura always had a history of letting others test the waters first before getting their feet wet. As a consequence, Acura model years run a year a two after their competitors.

Comparing the 1st Gen IS 300 against the 1st Gen Acura TSX would seem to be a more realistic debate. Lexus had 5-6 years to learn and improve their product and understand their sales demographics and modified the IS 2nd Gen to reflect this change. I haven’t seen a lot (or any) forums comparing the previous Gen IS to the current IS 250, I think the majority of folks would agree the 2nd Gen is better overall. I think comparing 2nd Gen IS to 1st Gen TSX is like taking a test when you know the answers. Lexus has shifted its market focus based on the information it gather over the last 6 years. It will be interesting to see how Acura interprets the same data and what demographics the 2nd Gen TSX will try to capture. This is the forum I’m waiting for: 2008 TSX –vs- 2008 IS 250 (apples to apples).

I’m a proud owner of a 2006 TSX w/ Navi. I pick this vehicle because it was the best overall combinations of all the factors I (and my wife) were looking for in a vehicle. I expect the 2nd Gen IS to be better and I would be disappointed in Lexus if it wasn’t. I found the 1st Gen TSX was better for me. When the 2008 TSX arrives, I will be there for a test drive (I won’t purchase until 2010, work out the new model bugs).

Just a thought……
  • chikoochikoo Posts: 3,008
    What is a "sports car" supposed to accomplish?

Please don't give crappy answers like should have RWD.
    My farm tractor has RWD. does that mean it can be compared in the sports car segment?

Then we should find out whether the TSX or the IS accomplishes that.

Go!
  • novicenovice Posts: 60
    chikoo,

Sounds as though you bring a bit of an 'edge' to your perspective. Let me guess--you aren't persuaded that RWD makes a sports sedan just because a lot of enthusiasts say so. I like your take on this, i.e. you want to identify some outcomes/criteria and then see which cars meet those. It's a very logical and sound approach IMHO. I would only add that even if you can reach a conclusion with data, it won't entirely settle the issue. For instance, car A may prevail on a particular data set. But, most likely, there are other considerations about a sports sedan the data set in play doesn't include. Moreover, while one car may 'win' on points, it doesn't mean it's the desired car overall. For instance, the 100 meter run in the Olympics or other international track events usually has eight entrants, but only one wins. It doesn't mean the others are blow out losers. In fact, they're world class. So too potentially with cars. In addition, there are other factors/features that attract potential owners besides sports dimensions. Nonetheless, you invite a conversation based on some agreed upon elements and that is worthwhile. Let's see what it attracts.
  • chikoochikoo Posts: 3,008
    Precisely. You have articulated my thoughts extremely well Novice.

What I really want is the die-hard sport car fan define what the sport car should be able to do. Then based upon those criteria, let us see which car achieves the best scores. Let the performance decide the designation of a "sports car", rather than aspects such as RWD or double-wishbone suspension or a V6 / Inline6.
  • I was in your same situation last week. I think TSX has better interior design and layout. More room in the rear passenger than IS 250. Also, IS250 AWD rear seats can't fold down but TSX can. I agree that IS250 AWD is not $7100 better. Also the car dealer told me I have to get a Navi in order to get a HID xenon lights option. What are either Lexus or the car dealer thinking? I am happy with my 07 TSX comes with all options I need. :)">
  • I haven't chimed in on this issue yet, but since I've driven both cars, I thought I'd give my impressions. I had an IS250 AWD for a week while my wife's car was in for service. Recently, I purchased an '06 TSX. Overall, I thought that the 250 was the more luxurious car - I liked the leather seats, styling, and dealership experience more. I thought TSX was the more practical car - it had more interior space, fold down rear seats (necessary for a skier), and a more well-thought out, easy-to-use interior. In terms of performance, I didn't get a chance to push the 250 in cornering much, but it felt very competent. The TSX is just as good in the corners as the 250, though the ride on the freeways was a bit more harsh. There isn't much difference in acceleration between the two cars, despite the V6 vs. I4 issue. I own a 6 speed manual TSX, and the 250 I drove was a 6 speed auto. A manual 250 may be quicker, but I've heard that that transmission is nothing to write home about. Overall, I thought that they were both very nice cars, and I could see myself owning both of them. The 250 I drove was similarly equipped to my TSX (6sp, navi), but had a few extra goodies (backup camera, cooled seats, etc.). However, the price difference was upwards of $8,000. If the price were the same, it would be a good comparison, and I probably would've chosen the 250, but that $8,000 difference made my decision easy.
  • dbw1dbw1 Posts: 2
    In Sept I got a TSX mt6 after looking at the IS250 and BMW 3 series. The IS250 was somewhere around $10k more similarily equipped though the only things I really wanted were the hid's and heated seats - for that you had to get the 10k luxery package. The BMW was eliminated because of no BMW extended warrenty available and no spare tire - just run flat tires. While run flats may be okay if you live in Toronto in northern Manitoba they are not acceptable.
    Anyway, to shorten the story, after 3+ months and 7000km later I'm very pleased with the TSX. At the end of the day it's whatever turns your crank and gives you a bit of a rush when you start it.
  • Hey CChanpa,

I am in a similar dilemma. Need to make a decision soon. Do you mind sharing what kind of a price you got the 07 TSX ?

Thanks.
  • Just purchased an 06 TSX w/Navi (last one on the lot...guess people don't like black!) My one friend have an 06 TL auto with Navi and the other has an 06 IS 250 RWD auto. I've driven the crap out of both of these cars (just made sure I let the burning rubber settle before returning the cars:) and found both fun to drive. I borrowed an 07' TSX from a dealer for 2 days (pays to know people at the dealer) and drove the crap out of it also. I was blown away by the power of this car for a 4 cylinder. I read all the reports about the 'low torque', but found that this car moves amazingly well. I found the IS 250 luxurious, but boring. I prefer the TSX guages and overall cabin. In addition, the IS250 had really tiny back seats. Overall, fun car to drive, but just not exciting to drive - my opinion. I loved the TL, but not the car for me at 33yoa. I found the TSX similar to the TL, but just prefered the handling and feel of the TSX. I've had the TSX for 2 weeks and absolutely love driving it everyday. I've driven many cars and owned 7 cars thus far. Nothing feels quite like the V-tec opening up at around 5000rpm on an onramp doing about 140 in 3rd. As far as the future goes, I'm not digging this turbo stuff. Drove the RDX and as much as it's a nice ride, hate the turbo. Jumpy and kinda quirky just below 2000rpm. Yup, it has torque, but overall the TSX engine still feels better for me. I hope the next generation TSX sticks with the 4cylinder and just makes an already amazing engine better. Joy to drive the TSX. Would love to hear other comments on their TSX.
  • dbw1dbw1 Posts: 2
    Your comments sum up nicely why I now have the TSX. Looked at them all plus the BMW 3 series but prefered the TSX. The 4 cyl inthe TSX is a beautiful engine. Great overall driving package and incredable value. My previous vehical was a 2003 Maxima.
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Posts: 813
    I agree with you- owned my 06 tsx w/Nav 6 spd for two months now- almost 6,000 miles. it is a fun car to drive and does very well at highway speeds. have owned numerous cars with turbo engines- the tsx is just as good IMO. I especially love the way it shifts- very smooth. I test drove the mazdaspeed 6- not very impressed with it's 6 speed transmission- hard to change gears. Most of the tsx's i see on the roads are black so it must be a popular color. I have milano red/ebony int with black and gray painted-on pinstripes. Enjoy the car and happy traveling.My friend is a acura service manager so he said he would give me great deals on service (free oil changes, etc)He also got me the price for my tsx-excellant deal-it does pay to know someone
  • from_flfrom_fl Posts: 113
    TSX is another Honda FWD Accord.
  • frisconickfrisconick Posts: 1,275
    TSX is based on the European Accord that is smaller thant the American. It a tighter suspension and a much nicer interior.
    i like the tsx looks better- or should i say euro-accord.
    There is a Lexus based on the Camry, what's the big deal?
    i am trying to figure that out myself- i own a tsx and i do not care if it looks like or is based on something else. I love it
    The TSX is a great looking car, handles great and plenty of hp. :shades:
  • johnny420johnny420 Posts: 473
    He's just baiting and trying to hook someone. Click on his name and read his last 10 posts or so. He's nothing but a flame artist.

It's great you guys are happy with your cars. :shades:
    a troll indeed! :mad:

I bought a TL, and loved it, and for a second car I was looking at the G 35, IS, etc. then I got a TSX loaner, and fell in love with. I use the TSX for buzzing around the city, and the TL for highway driving. TSX gets very good mpg driving around the city. :shades:
This discussion has been closed.