Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TSX vs Lexus IS 250

Comments

• johnny420johnny420 Posts: 473
    Don't sweat the ignorance remark. It's just that anyone who owns a TSX knows for sure that the car is great on the freeways. In fact, it absolutely sings. All misinformed opinions aside, power is not an issue with this car.

Does the IS350 have much more power? Sure. That doesn't mean the TSX is underpowered. It just means the 350 has more.

Bottom line: the TSX is a remarkable all-around performer, very well-balanced and very, very fun to drive.

It's up to you to decide if the appointments available in the IS350-250, BMW 3 series or other cars is important to you.

I can say this: for the dollars, the TSX's combination of luxury, refinement and performance cannot be beat. :shades:

BTW, for your friend the TSX owner, some of the fastest cars in the world are four bangers.
  • biker4biker4 Posts: 746
    I've been told by several people, here and there & over the years, to avoid 4-cylinder cars.

You've been talking to some really biased and ignorant people. Sorry for the reply but some of the stuff on these boards is really for the birds. Some common sense is needed once in a while.

Again, exept for bragin rights you shouldn't judge a car by what's under the hood - judge by how it performs on the street for YOU. Have you looked under hood of an IS? It could be anything from a sawing machine to a V12 under there - you can't tell from all of the plastic covering everything.

The main thing you have to consider in this debate - are the interior/exterior looks worth the extra $5K on the IS? Everything else in the big scheme of things is a wash.
  • sosk- just bought an 06' tsx and you have no need to worry about getting on the highway with this this baby. ;) I drove the TL and the TSX, TL is a 6 and sure is has a little more power, but trust me the TSX is no turtle. I live in the Dallas, Tx area and have a 45 minute commute on a very busy and congested freeway. :mad: The TSX has plenty of power and get up to get me around slower cars quickly and good braking to stop me swiftly. :surprise: Believe me , traffic around here sucks, and I love driving in it now with the TSX. Great car-smooth, sexy and the interior is very nice. Cockpit is very user friendly with good reach to the NAV controls if you dont feel like talking, and did I mention the sliding armrest-nice. Buy the TSX, you wont regret it. :)
  • Sure, the two cars have similar horsepower and the IS250 DOES have more torque (and from what I hear, it's supposed to have a pretty wide torque band). However, acceleration numbers are much more dependent on the horsepower-to-weight ratio of the car. I don't know these numbers off the top of my head, but the TSX definitely has an advantage on this over the IS250. The peaky power delivery of the TSX might not give that neck-snapping acceleration off the line, but in terms of the 0-60mph times, I've seen numbers for the TSX to be around 7sec. with the manual, while Lexus posts a 7.9sec time for the IS250 (presumably for both the auto and the manual). I think the preception that the IS is quicker might just be from having a bit more torque at lower RPMs and different throttle response (maybe one is quicker than the other?).

In the end, I think the extra weight on the IS250 will be enough to offset any difference in the torque output and it may actually be even slower than the TSX, even if that seat-of-the-pants feeling says otherwise.
  • sosksosk Posts: 42
    It seems like everyone here perfers the TSX over the IS. Has anyone here decided on the IS?
  • johnny420johnny420 Posts: 473
    You're posting in a TSX forum. You're going to get TSX-biased opinions.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    No, this isn't a "TSX forum" - it's a comparison between the two vehicles which will show up if you list all TSX discussions or if you list all IS 250 discussions. Equal exposure. So to speak. :)
  • The IS may have more peak TQ, but until we see a graph showing the full-range power delivery, no conclusions about it being more "powerful" than the TSX can be made.
    What do you mean no conclusions can be made? As stated in my earlier post, I have driven both cars. The IS250 is more powerful. The car magazine tests have confirmed that the IS250 is more powerful. Notwithstanding the above, the IS is overpriced, and TSX is a much better value.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    car magazine tests have confirmed that the IS250 is more powerful

Sorry, I haven't seen any magazine tests comparing the IS250 with the TSX. Can you post 2 or 3 links so I can see confirmation that the IS250 is more powerful?
  • Look at the summary sheets at the back of each magazine (Car and Driver, Road and Track, Motor Trend, etc.) or look at their web sites for the info.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Graphics, pictures, URLs, etc. that are wider than 500 or so pixels should not be posted here. They cause the text to be pushed out under the right sidebar making the first few messages on the page unreadable ... if they are very wide, they cause the page to have to be scrolled from left to right to read every line on the page which is very difficult and very irritating.

Here are the solutions:

If you want to display a picture or graphic that is wider than 500 pixels you need to edit it to be less than that. If that is not possible or if it will detract from the display, then you need to just post a link to it instead of using the img src tags to display it.

When you post a link you should use the URL tag beneath the post box. This is because, depending on their length, links can also skew the display. Using the URL tag is very easy - just click on it, paste in the URL, type over "link title" the text you want to appear in you post, then click on it again.

If anyone has any questions about this, feel free to drop me an email.

A graphic that was skewing the page was removed.
    Sorry Pat, let me try this again...

"Look at the summary sheets at the back of each magazine (Car and Driver, Road and Track, Motor Trend, etc.) or look at their web sites for the info."

Ninjaguy, you're the one who said the IS250 is "more poweful" than the TSX.

I looked at the latest mainstream magazines and on the internet and I couldn't find any comparisons between the engine performance of the IS250 vs the TSX. On the web, I did find one test of the IS250 (no comparisons with other cars though) at Yahoo Cars UK. This test indicated that the IS250 has 204 HP and accelerates from 0-60 MPH in 7.9 secs (The TSX beats both of these figures).

http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/car-reviews/car-and-driving/lexus-is250-1004916.html

Please throw me a bone here - can you at least tell me which magazines have done this testing, and which issues I should look at?
  • Gathering performance based info from several sources to comapre two cars is not reliable. A lot of factors have to be considered such as testing procedures, road, tires, weather, elevation etc. Lest wait for a specific comaprison done by the media before we make a conclusion.
    OTOH Car and Driver's review of the IS 250 said that its 0-60mph is at or near 7secs. Not enough to support that its better than the TSX.
  • I dunno if anybody here has taken the time to equip the Lexus IS 250 so that it has equivalent options to the Acura TSX. In order to make them somewhat equal you have to add one of the luxury packages (I used the cheapest one) and the Levinson Pkg to the Lexus.

Sticker on the Lexus: $ 36,185
    Sticker on the Acura: $ 28,505

Difference is $7,680

Now if you consider that you can get a TSX for about $1,000 (some folks are paying $500) over invoice (around $27,500) while the Lexus is selling at sticker you are talking about a difference of $8,685. :confuse: You gotta like the Lexus A LOT to pay nearly $9K more. For me it was an easy decision.
  • dc_davedc_dave Posts: 51
    I think in most metro areas you can have a TSX for $400-500 over invoice. I just got mine on Sunday for $500 over. Black/ebony w/o navi...what a sweet car! I'm impressed with the build quality and ride quality.

Dave in VA
    "I dunno if anybody here has taken the time to equip the Lexus IS 250 so that it has equivalent options to the Acura TSX."

How is a $4,000 surround audio and nav package the "equivalent" to the base TSX audio system?!?!

They may trade a few features with each other (the TSX has heated seats and the Lexus has SmartAccess), but overall I think they are equivalent without adding anything.
  • I agree that they are somewhat equivalent without adding any options. The MSRP of the TSX is $28,505 and the IS250 is 31,750. However, the TSX has zenon headlights and the power seat memory system that are only available in $3500+ option packages for the IS that would cost about $1K if sold individually. Is the IS worth the additional #3K ($4K to $5K more based on actual selling prices). I don't think so.
  • Agree that performance numbers by different organizations can be different. From what I remember, the IS250 is about 1 sec faster 0-60. The IS is not worth the $3K-5K additional cost.
  • You can get the Mark Levinson without Nav., and that's what I added, it's $900. What makes the TSX and the IS equal in terms of options is the Luxury Pkg. on the Lexus which is around $3,500. Here is the description of the Luxury pkg.

Luxury Package
    Includes perforated leather seats, heated and ventilated front seats, 3-position driver and passenger seat memory, outside electrochromatic mirrors with memory and reverse tilt, steering wheel memory, illuminated scuff plates, wood interior trim, power rear sunshade, high intensity discharge (HID) headlamps and rain sensing wipers.

Similar options to the TSX... perforated leather, heated seats, seat memory, wood trim, HID headlamps.
    The IS250 base stereo is a 13 speaker setup with 6-disc in dash CD changer. The TSX only has 8 spekers. They're basically equivalent.

The IS250 with Luxury Package has ventilated seats, memory settings for the passenger seat, outside mirrors, steering wheel, and reverse-tilt outside mirror, illuminated scuff plates, genuine wood trim, power rear sunshade, bi-xenons, and rain sensing wipers. The TSX has none of these...
This discussion has been closed.