Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IIHS Picks Safest Vehicles

Comments

• 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    Agree totally on the Zephyr. The Caliber's side score could likely be improved once the optional side torso airbags are finally made available. (These should have been available AND standard from the start.)

At least the Caliber is way better than the Neon it replaced, which was marginal in the frontal test and poor in the side test, without side airbags.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    The Caliber's side score could likely be improved once the optional side torso airbags are finally made available.

It was marginal with the side air bags.
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    It had side curtain airbags (standard) that did a good job protecting the front and rear dummies' heads.

The problem was that the driver's torso was pummeled - no side thorax bags were in the tested car. Very few cars the IIHS has tested do well if thorax bags for the driver aren't included -- the Chevy Impala is one of these exceptions.
    Ahh, I see. Thanks for clarifying that.

I had not noticed that detail in IIHS ratings before. I had only ever noted if they have side air bags or not, without really paying attention to the type(s) of bags.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,621
    BUT Sentra has more standard safety features (same ones the Renault Megane uses in Europe - and it got 5 out of 5 stars in EuroNCap crash tests for both front/lateral) than both of them...

Untrue. Rabbit/Jetta are class-leading in standard safety features, which include 6 airbags (2 more are optional), ABS with EBD and 4-wheel disc brakes, traction control, and active front head restraints. As noted, ESC is optional, very rare in this class (Corolla has optional VSC, but it's hard to find). Also, both the Civic and Elantra have more standard safety features than the Sentra. Civic and Elantra have standard ABS with EBD in all trim lines. Sentra only has ABS standard on the highest trim line. Additionally, Elantra has standard 4-wheel disc brakes on all trim lines. All these cars have 6 standard airbags and standard active front headrests.

I found it hard to believe that C/D rated the new Sentra last, behind even the old Corolla, in its comparo for December's issue. I can't wait to get it to find out why they would do that.
  • v_dv_d Posts: 89
    Rabbit/Jetta are class-leading in standard safety features, which include 6 airbags (2 more are optional), ABS with EBD and 4-wheel disc brakes, traction control, and active front head restraints

Isn`t it the same as a SL Sentra?

And we might not get ESP on the Sentra here in Canada, but well...

LAST? Well, it`s people`s tastes that are going to decide.
  • Are you freakin kidding me? the rabbit is outstanding if someone else is gonna pay for it. the maintenance is ridiculous. and of course it has 57 airbags, because if you get in an accident you will need all 57. the sentra has a ton of safety features, whether they are standard or not, it's not much to add. not to mention it has CVT, which in it's self makes it better in every aspect to drive which is the part that really matters. i'm begging you not to buy a rabbit or an accent, or an elantra. The civic is also a very nice vehicle, And the one thing you will get with the Sentra and the civic is residual value. which is a joke with the other manufacturer's.

ps...... and yes it is true that the sentra has more standard safety features
    No, I'm not kidding you.

The Jetta and Rabbit have excellent crash-safety scores--even without all 57 airbags. The new Sentra is untested. Have you found out how much it costs to add ABS to a Sentra 2.0S? Go configure one and see for yourself. It's not cheap.

Your saying that the Sentra has nore standard safety features doesn't make it true. It's not. It doesn't lead in optional safety features either. And it's easy to demonstrate those facts to yourself. If you care about the truth.

BTW, why in the world would you BEG someone not to buy a car like a Rabbit or Accent or Elantra? Do you get a cut on every Sentra sold (maybe on Civics too)? :surprise:
  • v_dv_d Posts: 89
    Yeah, someone on a Rabbit forum here actually had a list of vehicles that got the exact same scores the Rabbit did, and if I recall right, there were a couple of Mercedes', Lexus', Volvo's and other luxury brands. I think the Rabbit was actually the single car under $50k out there. So if you want safety, I`ll go with the Rabbit.

ABS (not a Pack - standalone) in Canada is standard on the 2.0S model, but it costs $500 on the 2.0. In the US it`s $600 but you get 16" + ABS. And yes that`s a lot for something that should be standard on every vehicle by now.

A base Rabbit vs a base Sentra in airbags will come 6-6. True the Rabbit has 2 additional rear side airbags, so that comes to 8. Pretty amazing!

Coming to buying... no I would not buy an Accent, or a Civic, Elantra or even Sentra, I`d take the Rabbit for it`s driving dynamics and german engineering. But again, that`s just me!
    Actually the Civic gets better IIHS crash scores than the Rabbit--the Civic is an IIHS "Gold" award winner, the Jetta and 4-door Rabbit "Silver." Still very good though. If the Rabbit had better fuel economy and reliability, it would probably be my top choice in this class (in 2-door form).

When I configured a Sentra 2.0S with ABS, not only did I need to select the ABS+alloys package, I also had to select the Convenience package. So adding ABS was about a $1200 bump--of course you get some extra stuff too.
  • That torques me off, too. Nissan seems to make it tough to buy safety, unless you are willing to pay to pamper yourself.

I'd be driving a 2003 Altima right now, if 4 years ago I could have found a 2.5S, anywhere, with ABS.

It's even worse with VSC. Only on the 3.5's. Dang.
    The rear test is what kept the rabbit/jetta from getting gold. Footnote on rear impact for these on IIHS site now says: "Design changes have been made; to be tested later in 2006." So they may move up to gold.

Also the Civic is in a lighter weight class, so frontal scores may not be comparable. There is a 450 pound difference in the weight of tested cars.
    You are right, the frontal scores are not directly comparable. But that doesn't change the fact that the Civic got excellent scores for its weight class--as did the Jetta and 4-door Rabbit.
    Yep, civic did do very well and the Sentra will remain in the same weight class as the Civic.

I wish they would add a frontal test that would be comparable across all cars. Maybe smash the thing they use for the side test into the front of the cars, for example.
    They could do that, but would it mimic the real world to have a sled smash into the front of a stationary car?
    How about something like the sled going 20 mph and the vehicle also going 20 mph and smash them together in a frontal offset crash?
    Then the weight of the vehicle plays a role, so the results couldn't be compared across weight classes--same as today.
    Then the weight of the vehicle plays a role, so the results couldn't be compared across weight classes--same as today.

I don't think that is true. You would be simulating a collision between the vehicle being tested and a second standard vehicle. This would make for a tougher test of small cars.
    I really don't want to debate the physics of this here, because it's off topic. When the car is moving, the weight of the vehicle plays a role in the severity of the impact. That is why the NHTSA and IIHS caution people not to compare cars in different weight classes on frontal tests, in which the car is moving. And I think it would be difficult to design a sled that represents a "standard vehicle" for a moving frontal impact test because cars differ so much in front-end configuration (engine position, frontal area), use of crumple zones, etc.

Maybe there is a discussion on the science of crash tests where we can continue this if you want to, so we can get back to the 2007 Sentra.
    I found something that would be close enough:

There is a discussion called: IIHS Picks Safest Vehicles

Can the host maybe move this there, so we can continue?
This discussion has been closed.