Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IIHS Picks Safest Vehicles

1235»

Comments

• orbit9090orbit9090 Posts: 110
    >>jeffyscott said: IIHS managed to come up with a moving sled for side impacts, not sure why something similar would not be done frontal.

jeffyscott,

The IIHS offset crash test is designed to simulate an offset head-on crash between two vehicles of the same size and weight travelling at the same speed. This allows consumers and insurance companies to judge which vehicles will provide the best protection PER CLASS. It is assumed the car buyer has a specific vehicle type and class in mind when shopping, and will then look to see which model offers the best protection in that class. Better protection theoretically will translate into lower insurance premiums over time.

Consumers that place more trust in the "safety-of-size" may of course opt to purchase a class-size heavier, but this does not invalidate the categorical results of IIHS crash testing. One could also choose to travel at a slower speed in order to minimize potential injury in any potential collision. Or, one could simply stay home rather than venture-out into traffic at all. Because all of these human variable exist, crash-testing must make certain assumptions, using a "baseline", in order to make comparisons. You will hopefully learn more about these concepts in college physics.

It is not reasonable to expect any organization to crash test every weight\size against every weight\size. However, vehicle manufacturers often take it upon themselves to crash-test their own vehicles of different sizes. In fact, Honda's ACE Safety Structure is specifically designed to minimize damage from crashes involving vehicles of different sizes.

• jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    IIRC, when I posted that (7 months ago) I never suggested crash testing against all other sizes. I did suggest that they could simulate a crash with a standardized vehicle...just as they do in the side test.

The current crash test simulates a single vehicle accident or one with a similar vehicle. An additional test, such as I suggest could be conducted to allow comparisons of a two vehicle collision across all vehicle classifications.

BTW, your attitude comes off as rather arrogant. I do know a bit of physics having gotten a degree in that subject about 25 years ago.
  • larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    This is a very informative article. Awesome story:

Why we Loved SUVs and Oh How Stupid It Was

According to Bradsher, internal industry market research concluded that S.U.V.s tend to be bought by people who are insecure, vain, self-centered, and self-absorbed, who are frequently nervous about their marriages, and who lack confidence in their driving skills. Ford's S.U.V. designers took their cues from seeing "fashionably dressed women wearing hiking boots or even work boots while walking through expensive malls. " Toyota's top marketing executive in the United States, Bradsher writes, loves to tell the story of how at a focus group in Los Angeles "an elegant woman in the group said that she needed her full-sized Lexus LX 470 to drive up over the curb and onto lawns to park at large parties in Beverly Hills. " One of Ford's senior marketing executives was even blunter: "The only time those S.U.V.s are going to be off-road is when they miss the driveway at 3 a. m. "
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,568
    That's hilarious, thanks for sharing it.

My old joke was always to the effect of "that thing will only go off road when it is in a shopping mall parking lot"...pretty much sums it up.
  • larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    This is for all you (ahem) "fanboys" of old cars and how you think because they were heavy and steel and strong that they were safer than today's modern cars.

Um, you were wrong then and still wrong.

Crash Test Wars: 1959 Chevy Bel Air VS 2009 Chevy Malibu
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    I discovered the same thing at a demolition derby a few years ago. One guy had a really old car and I thought it would do well due to weight and maybe having a frame. Instead it was easily demolished by the newer cars, it collapsed and fell apart just like the Bel Air in that video.
1235»
This discussion has been closed.