Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007 Mercedes-Benz GL Class

Comments

• mercaramercara Posts: 291
    I am closing to putting money down on an GL320 CDI. I know the 7-speed auto had lots of trouble when it was launched in the (S-class i beleive). Does anyone know if these problems have been ironed out? I am generally wary about buying 1st year vehicles, but I think the GL has many shared parts which have been around for over a year so I hope it will be okay.
    320 CDI Engine from the 2006 E 320CDI
    Corporate 7-Speed Tranny.
    Many other interior and exterior parts from the 2006 M-Class.

Either way I am going to price in the 7 Year/ 100K Starmark warranty as part of the price.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Actually the 7-speed has been flawless in the S-Class, it was the 2006 ML in which the 7-speed gave the most trouble. The engine in the 2007 GL320 CDI is the same engine from the 2007 E320 Bluetec, R320 and ML320 not the 2006 E320 CDI. The 2006 E320 was the old inline-6 while all the 2007 models feature the new V6, with Bluetec treatment on the E320 Bluetec.

M
  • The 7-Speed transmission of the GL is probably one of the best things about the car.

Before I bought my GL, had a Porsche Cayenne S and was constantly manually shifting in order to be in the right gear, in the GL I don't even thing about manual shifts.

Have never heard of anyone with troubles with the transmission and every test I read raves about it
    I read a bunch of reports on the 2006 ML class message boards. Seemed to do with hard/loud shifting as opposed to total failure of the 7-Speed transmission. My 99ML320 had a similar hard downshifting problem. When I was coming to stop at say a taffic light, it used to downshift with a thud. Dealer changed the transmission control module under warranty and never had a problem since. I bought a Toyota Landcruiser after I sold my ML320 as the negative publicity and abysmal ratings on the JD power quality and long term dependability scared me from buying another mercedes. To be honest, I never had any major issues in the 5 year and 80K miles I had the ML320. I loved the truck. I just wanted something bigger and the G-wagon didn't have the third row seating for the kids.

The GL320 is really tempting as it has everything that I am looking for. From what I read these days, mercedes is trying hard to improve the quality by doing better testing and controls before the cars leave the factory so hopefully it should be fine.
  • We are shopping for a luxury SUV and looked at the new BMW X5, the new Acura MDX and the GL 450. We have three children, one in a car seat, one in a booster seat and one that's a teenager. So we need room for all that. We don't think the X5 is a viable option since the third row seat is not acceptable for even small children in my opinion. (Also, worry that they are even safe.) The MDX's third row seat is better but still smallish and we thought the interior lacked in the luxury department with fake wood. So for us, the GL 450 seems to be the best choice. The third row seat is very good even for the teenage with the long legs.

For us the most important things was practicality. All three cars drive great. We're not off-roader types so don't care about that. We do like a smooth, comfortable ride that doesn't feel like a truck. (Hated the Lexus GX470 for that reason)

So we don't have the GL450 yet but have just finalized our decision that that is the SUV that suites our needs the best and will be purchasing one within the next month.
    My decision was based on similar factors as mentioned by lindaaz. In addition I want to get the GL320 CDI so that I can have my cake and eat it too. i.e full size SUV with 25MPG avg milage. sweet !
  • I wondered is the stats were turning out to be true - either V6 or V8. Does anyone have any calculations on their GL? Also, if you have the diesel, how much is that costing you? Thanks!
  • I am curious about the GL packaging in the US. I drove in a 320CDI at our local dealer today, didnt have the urge to actually drive it and had stopped to look at an ML500. Very comfortable I will say that. To the point, why would MBUSA bring the GL450 (4.6L 335HP) and 320CDI (215 HP)to power crazy USA, when in fuel price concious UK or South Africa you can get an GL500 (5.5L 380+HP) or 420CDI (4.0 300+ HP). Those sound much more appropriate for the US. Also the exterior spec of the GL's here in US look very basic and bog standard, a bit like an entry level ML350. Where are the extra chrome accents around the spot lights, under the side windows, optional aluminum roof rails, optional bigger wheels, lighted running board packages etc etc. I dont see these as option packages except for the appearance package which only upsizes the wheels and adds silver skid plates. Take quick look at the GL galleries on the MB UK or South Africa homepage and you'll see what I mean. Anybody know if we can expect more accessories and engine options in the future? I guess its worth noting that the GL320CDI is about $55k, but R710k in SA which is $100k, so actually perhaps I'll import the add ons be thankful they are so cheap here!
  • jb_shinjb_shin Posts: 357
    Ever since I drove diesel VW, MB and BMW in Germany, I have been waiting for more diesel selections in the US. My guess for not having more (bigger) diesel engines is the Federal Emissions Certification. However, in comparison to 5.5 L gasoline engine, their torque figure is nearly identical, while providing better MPG potential. 320 is Bluetec engine with urea injection to comply with the US requirements. MB probably does not want to spend too much money certifying yet another engine when general US population does not have very good memories of old diesels. Once it starts getting some traction and the numbers justify it, I am sure more diesel engines will become available.

BTW, the technology is moving nicely, as Honda and GM are supposedly able to meet the emissions requirement WITHOUT the urea injection as MB is doing.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Well you have to remember that when the GL was introduced gas was pretty high and people were generally shying away from big SUVs, but now gas prices have come back down. Mercedes just displayed the GL420 Bluetec at the Detroit Autoshow so you can expect it for the 2008 model year. The GL550 is likely too for 2008 also.

All those things you accessories are available now, I've GL450's with those things.

M
  • I am in the market for GL450 and want to know whether it is possible to replace the compact spare tire to the *Full* size spare tire.
    In my thought, it is completely nonsense to provide the only compact version although MB sells the *Offroad Package*. :confuse:

Is the space under the 3rd row seats big enough for the full size tire??
  • Wanted to inquire about the new GL-550 announced for the U.S. at the New York auto show. I'm wondering if anyone has talked with a dealer yet about pricing and available options, delivery timing, etc. Any and all news appreciated!
  • queequegqueequeg Posts: 12
    Have had my 550 for six months and am completely pleased with it, aside from some awkward controls on the left stalk. Just did a 200 mile trip averaging 19.2 mpg. And (referring to the prior post) thought I had a full-sized spare, too, along with my off-road package, which was wonderful during the past snow season.
  • abhikuabhiku Posts: 89
    Can someone post the link for GL550? I can't find info on mbusa.com.
  • founderfounder Posts: 48
    Even though gas have come down the price isn't worth it to me. MB isn't quite as reliable as I like to justify spending 70 grand for this SUV. The bad thing about the GL is that darn near everything is an option,which drives the price up well past 70 grand. I don't think it's worth it and you can get comparable Lux SUV's that come with a lot of standard features that are options on the GL.
  • abhikuabhiku Posts: 89
    Do someone knows what's the diff. in GL450 and GL550? like comparison link or something...

Looking on mbusa.com, there is diff. of price tag in GL550 by $20K vs GL450.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,971

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL550 (Someone said it looks more like an ML than a GL - I think it looks a bit like Idaho :shades: ).
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,680
    Is that over near Lewiston? I think I will take my GL with the diesel engine. I am looking for a 2007 used with very low miles under 10k. I would take either the GL320 CDI or the ML320 CDI in the Desert silver metallic. With macadamia leather.
    The links says McCall Idaho area, about 100 miles up the road from me, but they drove around various parts of north central Idaho. The area west of White Bird is amazing.