Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord (1990-1993) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• a bad fitv valve.
  • sib1sib1 Posts: 5
    what is a fitv valve and where is located thank you
  • Its a thermovalve and attached to the intake manifold
  • sib1sib1 Posts: 5
    is it right under the distributer
  • i have a 92 honda accord 2.2 auto,the wife went to pull in the garage today said it didnt want to move said it sounded like she was stuck in the mud but there was no mud.so i checked it out,not slipping but on the dash the D4 light stays on even while going through the gears the light goes up and down but the D4 never goes out.
    Please help!
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    tempman,
    You probably have a bad transmission computer. If you want to make sure, take the cover off, and look for dark spots on the circuit board. The capacitors leak, and short out the circuits. A new computer will cost quite a bit, from the dealership.
  • Thank You Elroy5,
    I have seen trans computers on E-bay, are they worth having?Is the computer somewhere around the passenger floor board?
    Peel the passenger side carpet back, from under the dash. The little plastic piece in front of the passenger side door just pulls off from the back side too. The carpet should just come out from under the console. The engine and transmisssion computers are under a cover plate. I can't remember how to tell one from the other though. The large plugs that go into the computers are in there REAL tight. Good luck
  • Hey Tempman

I bought one used from Ebay for $65. It worked for a few weeks and now my 93 Accord is back to driving with a bad TCM unit. When buying a used part from Ebay, You're facing the possibilities of a TCM unit going bad pretty quick. I just may look for another one and hope it'll last a lot longer.
    Good luck
    cybercool
  • my 1990 honda accord 2.2 liter will start when i turn the key, when the key is released it stops running.
  • my 1990 accord will start when i turn the key, when i let off the key it dies.
  • soul1soul1 Posts: 1
    I have a 1990 Honda Accord 2-door and it is leaking rain water onto the front drivers side floor. It is coming from somewhere around the windshield or between the windshield and door. There is also a little bit of water in the trunk near the back corners, Tail lights? Does anyone have any ideas of where the water could be coming from before I start tearing things apart and any ideas to fix it?
    my 1990 accord will start when i turn the key, when i let off the key it dies.

Sounds like an ignition switch (electrical part, not the lock cylinder) problem. If you hold on to the key, not letting it go all the way back when it starts, can you keep it running? The contacts in the switch get worn down.
  • Any tips on towing a fwd car with a dolly? :lemon:
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,986
    You mean with the front wheels off the ground? Nothing to worry about except hooking up brake lights.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• I want to hook up some lights, but I'm not sure how to go about doing it. Here's my problem: I want a set of lights to turn on when the car is on, turn off when the low beams are on, and turn on when the high beams are on. The only problem is that the headlights have a weird double-positive wiring system when the headlights are on so I don't know where to put the relays. Any thoughts? :lemon:
  • OK so we got our Honda running and everything, but it's overheating. It seems to stay at a reasonable temp while at highway speeds (right around the middle of the gauge), but slowly climbs up at stoplights. I was wondering if a faulty radiator cap is to blame. Also, a change of plans for the lights. I want them to come on with the car, stay on with the low beams, and turn off with the high beams. :lemon:
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Does the radiator fan work? When mine quit in my '96 2.2 LX, the cool air rushing over the engine/radiator kept things cool while moving, but when you stopped, or loaded the engine hard (climbing a hill at low speed, etc), the temp shot up.

Turned out to be my main cooling fan motor (the one you hear running off and on during idle in the summertime). Was around $300.
  • Hey Bluesman,
    sounds like the ignition switch to me. Mine quit on me in town one time,but i was able to get it back home by holding the key about half way between start and run. It's an easy fix with basic tools. Have fun!
  • Yes the cooling fan works. I don't think it would be the problem, we just replaced it recently. The radiator cap is spewing steam all the time, so could that be the problem? It doesn't seem like the cap is holding any pressure. Also would anyone know the estimated cost of having your radiator cleaned internally? :lemon:
  • It sounds like a radiator cap issue; however, if you've recently lost and readded coolant (or been into the guts of the system for anything) - make sure you've bled the air out of the cooling system.
  • Is there a wire under the hood that is only on when the car is running?
  • kkay2kkay2 Posts: 7
    Hi, I have a 1990 Accord Lx Automatic (have not had it long). When I first start the car in the morning, the temperature gauge needle goes from nothing to the center of gauge in just a few minutes, and the heater blows really HOT air if I turn it on. This is great when it's a cold morning, but I've never had a car warm up this fast. Does anyone think there might be a problem or does this sound normal? Thanks, KK
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    My '96 Accord LX (same basic 2.2L engine as yours) heats up relatively quickly; its blowing heat in the first two miles of my drive, less than give minutes.
  • I don't know where you live............but here in the Northeast my 1992 Accord takes 5 to 6 Minutes for the temperature gauge to even rise a bit.

As long as you are not overheating.........you should be okay.
    Thanks. I live near Sacramento,CA, but it hasn't been very cold. I'm hoping it's just normal. When I do drive a long way, the needle stays in the middle of the gauge and so it doesn't seem to be overheating. The fan takes about 5 minutes to shut off after I turn the car off. I sure hope it's not an overheating problem... I don't really know. But, thank you both for replying. kk
  • greetings,
    i wonder if you bled the air out of the system? their is a bleeder valve screw by the thermostat that you need to bleed the air out. Here is the run down for over heating i use on a honda 90-93 accord; fill up radiator with 50/50 mixture use a funnel in radiator and fill up the funnel so their is no air in the radiator,start car let run until fan comes on, (watching temp gauge always!) check that fan is running and heater is on full blast, Now find bleeder screw (it is by the thermostat hosing on the block) Loosen nut and turn the screw open wait until anti freeze solution runs out with no air bubbles. watch that anti freeze in funnel stays full as to not allow air in system,turn screw tight and tighten nut. remove funnel, rinse area with water, fill over flow reservoir as directed and check temp gauge. your done!
    Thank you! That sounds like it's worth a try.
    I appreciate you writing. KK
  • jw1103jw1103 Posts: 2
    got water leaking out of a small whole on side of water pump where can i get a plug for this or do i have to change the water pump
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,986
    new pump

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!