Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord (1990-1993) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• only when i let off of the gas.
  • totreetotree Posts: 2
    My 1991 honda accord's speedometer quit working.Does it operate by cable or some type of module?
  • Ok I have the same problem with my`90 accord automatic seatbelts the seat belt sign wont stop flashing and the beep er is driving me nuts,I have opened the whole panel on the passenger side and I see two switches one where its on door open position and the other on door close position now the one on the open door position is easy to replace but the one on the close door position is hard to replace any suggestions? and I don`t even know if that will fix the problem. Anyone out there have suggestions???
  • New Info: I removed the IACV and found that one of the two holes had a damaged screen. The screen is completly torn. Could this be responsible for the idle surging when the engine is warm? Can someone tell me a good way to disconnect these hoses that run in and out of the IACV. They really dont want to come off and I am affraid to cut them because I think one of them is full of coolant. I have read that the IACV only effect the idle of cold engines and my problem occurs when the engine is warm. The other symptom is overheating within 8min of driving time. This seems fast, if the IACV is controlled by the thermostat then maybe the thermostat is badd too. It just oveheats so fast. Any help would be appreciated.
  • !!!!!I Fixed it!!!!! I had to screw down the FITV plunger. I found a very helpful thread complete with pictures here: http://www.superhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2894634#post2894634
    check it out if you are having any rpm surging problems.
  • fanghasyoufanghasyou Posts: 1
    I am experiencing some vibration through the floor of my accord when I'm driving. There is also a humming sound present. The vibration and hum appears to vary with varying speed. Probable cause? Thanks.
  • grammy2grammy2 Posts: 1
    The ac doesn't turn on. No blower fan, no cool air, NOTHIN'.The condenser fan blows. I checked all fuses,good. The weather is turning warm really fast, need some cool air! What can I check next?
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    I had to have the entire unit replaced in my 1996 (Trip/Odometer, Speedometer, the works). I don't know how it works though. Good luck!
  • donswartzdonswartz Posts: 28
    I have looked on the Internet and cannot find anything. I called the Honda dealership and they said I need to bring it in. Not surprized there. Now we have 3 people in the last week complaining about this problem. Someone has to have the answer. Who does? Please someone help us. Thanks.
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Posts: 4,116
    If the freon level falls too low, the compressor won't turn on. Its a safety feature to protect the compressor.
  • donswartzdonswartz Posts: 28
    I don't know if this corrected the problem though it has been a week and no beeping or flashing light. I unplugged the harness underneath the passenger seat that controls the seat belts for about 1 week. I wanted to see if it would act up again. I plugged it expecting to take it back out within 15 minutes. I have been about 1 week with it plugged in and nothing YET. I am sure after I post this on my way home it will act up again. I will keep you posted if it remains good.
  • justus357justus357 Posts: 1
    i just want to know if it is true that you have to have that front roter bearings pressed out.
  • skelpskelp Posts: 2
    This problem just started with my 91 Accord. Our area just switched to 10% ethanol April 28th. I have my suspisions that this may be the problem.
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Posts: 4,116
    They aren't offically "pressed" in, but they are tight. You have to separate the uprights to get the driveshaft out of the hub, undo the 4 bolts on the back of the hub that go through the rotor, and then find some way to get the bearing out of the upright.
    I took the uprights off and used an air hammer on the four bolts on the back of the hub. I have heard reports of people leaving the uprights on the car, pulling the axle then reconnecting the lower ball joint. Then they got a big hammer and pounded on the rotor from the back. I was afraid to do that as it renders the car undrivable if you give up on separating the two.
    This is true for 90-95 Accords.
  • kidsnoopykidsnoopy Posts: 3
    Well I'm not sure if this is the proper place for this posting but I have to tell someone. My 1991 Honda Accord LX just finally died. I have 410,000 miles on the same engine and transmission. I am now looking for a new Accord. I Would not buy another car after this great experience.

Just for kicks I will post the problem. Was coming home the other evening and noticed the car began coasting. I gave it gas and the engine revved into high RPM but no response. I shifted into third thinking maybe the auto shift had snuck into neutral. The car downshifted but as I gave it gas same thing lots of RPM's but no power. I coasted to the shoulder and I noticed (as I came to a stop) steam coming from the right front.

I got a tow home and the next morning inspected the engine. There was fluid underneath on the Transmission cover and it turned out to be anti freeze. I checked oil and Trans fluid and levels were fine. I checked the radiator and it was dry. One great thing about that honda is that It never leaked coolant. I had checked it recently though and it was full so I think whatever happened the other evening caused the water in the radiator to empty. I could not see any hole in a hose or the radiator. I'm thinking a blown head gasket or something. Never saw any rear smoke though when this happened. Only steam in the front

Now the car does not start and sounds very funny when it turns over. It's hard to describe but I can only say that I have never heard that sound before and I have heard a lot of sounds over the years with this car.
    I think a proper funeral is in order. I bet you were sad, especially after taking the car that many miles with, apparently, very few problems. Did you have the car from when it was new?

Makes my 160,000 miles seem like the car is barely broken in!
  • kidsnoopykidsnoopy Posts: 3
    Yes, I bought this car new. People I know kept telling me to call Honda and see about getting in a commercial but I told them that this was probably not all that unusual. I have to be honest at times I was absolutely terrible when it came to changing oil. Often I would let it got 10-15k miles before changing. I did the oil changes myself. I told my friends it was probably the oil (tar) that was holding the engine together and not changing was a good strategy.

Actually, I can't stress enough how important it is to change the oil regularly. I really just got lucky. Anyway I bought the Honda at the time because of it's record for low maintenance and great quality. I'm glad to hear that the new ones are just as good. I start looking today for my new Accord EX-L.
  • sudzsudz Posts: 1
    Hello, I have a '93 Accord wagon with an automatic transmission. When driven at highway speeds it will downshift from 4th gear to 3rd gear, then back. So far its only done this in the mornings and will only do it once or twice a trip. Any clues? Thanks!
  • usedcars1usedcars1 Posts: 1
    I have a 93 Accord Anniversary Edition with noise coming from the front end that sounds between a "hum" and a "whine". It usually occurs just after engaging in reverse or forward but will occasionally happen when driving at a steady pace (35mph). Since the sound usually happens only when the engine is cold and not long in duration it has been next to impossible for a mechanic to diagnosis the problem over the past couple of years. I have very low mileage (83K) on this car and just recently had the timing belt and water pump replaced. Does this sound like a tranny problem? If so, it this repairable with parts or need to totally rebuild or replace new? Also, when the car is started and parked the idle speed will occasionally and violently race up and down until the car is engaged in forward or reverse. Any thoughts on what is causing this and how to fix the problem?
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Posts: 992
    :sick: My bros. 91 accord sedan goes ballistic when it idles below 1k rpm. The rear driver window goes down fine but it has to sit 2-5 minutes before it can go up. The drivers window yells with authority when the button is pressed down. When closed, the driver's window escapes the track and sticks out about an inch away from the door when close all the way. The armrest, stereo, and moonroof visor have been stolen from the car and i suspect came from the space between the window. Can someone give me any suggestions on what to do? The car has 149222 miles, is a 1991 ex and cloth and the ac is ice cold. The master cylinder and timing belt have been replaced within the last 72hours and no problems have resolved :sick: :cry: :( .
  • kngcl15kngcl15 Posts: 1
    I just purchased a "dead" Accord LX today for $400 w/ 139,438 miles on it. My father and I replaced the Fuel Pump which cost us $150 and took a few hours seeing as how you have to take the whole dam back half of the car apart to drop the tank. There is one problem though...2 of the windows squeak when they go down and they go very slowly....i'm guessing it's just the motors and they aren't that expensive. I was just wondering if the car was worth buying.

Thanks,
    Will
  • moresatorimoresatori Posts: 2
    I have to replace the starter solenoid but am having trouble getting the starter mounting bracket off. It's really tight on there. Can I replace the solenoid without taking off the starter motor/mounting bracket?
  • mike711mike711 Posts: 6
    I have asked this question-allbeit at a point where the problem was less of an issue-prior, but am unsure of the answer? I have a 91 Accord, the S Light on the dash now stays on more often. It does not flash, nor does the "check engine" light come on. There will be no codes according to local Honda shop? But for sure, the transmission only works in 2nd and 3rd gear. (By the way the spedo also still works/I know this also can fail in situations like this). I really thought-from reading only-that the problem was one of the two solenoids on the front of the engine block (lock-up solenoids I think they are called?), but when I describe the problem to the Honda people they say it is the VSS (Variable Speed Sensor?). I don't mind paying to have it replaced (they say about $200 for part and $150.00 for labor), but what I don't want to do is do it and then have it be the solenoid(s), or even the ECM? What does anyone thing, does the VSS make sence?

Thanks,

Mike
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Posts: 992
    :) So you must drive an automatic. Try pressing the button on the left side of the gear shift. So far from what i've read, your car is fine. :) You are just paranoid. S stands for sport which means the car will wait longer and rev to a higher rpm before changing gears. S is green right? Green is good :P (99.9% of the time)
  • mike711mike711 Posts: 6
    I am sorry, I must not have fully given information. The "S" button on the shifter (yes auto) has no effect when the problem occurs. It is quite obvious that it does not start in 1st gear (starts in second), and will not go past third (i.e. it will not go into overdrive). But, and I stress, the problem is intermittent. After the car sits for awhile (not running) the "S Light" will not come back on for awhile?
  • user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    according to this post, it could be a failed TCM (Transmission Control Module).

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=962851&uid=999378256&dir=1&postid=111228- 54
  • My daughter parked her 1993 Accord with me for about a year. I had driven it around the block a time or two. Then one day it would not shift out of low. I got up to about 25-30mph and about 4k rpm but no shift. Later I noticed that the speedometer wasn't indicating anything. Took it to an independent transmission repair and $2000 later I had a new(rebuilt) transmission. BUT, oh by the way, rats had eaten some of the wiring and I couldn't drive it like that without damaging the transmission. So they sent it to someone else to fix that.
    What do you think? Did I get ripped? I'm suspicious that the speedometer problem may have been the reason the transmission wouldn't shift. The car only has 93k miles.
    Thanks for your replies.
    Sammy
    I had a speedometer problem in my 1996 Accord; it was just the instrument module (tach, speedo, odo, all gauges replaced)...funny thing now is that my 10 year old Accord reads 49,000 miles, even though it has about 161,000 miles.

They replaced the whole instrument panel for me, had nothing to do with transmission.
  • I was told by a Honda service dept that the 93 engine mounts were the cause of heavy vibration at idle. Mine does vibrate strongly at idle but smooths out as soon as I start moving. Is there a good fix for this problem?
    Sammy
  • I have a 92 Accord and have the same problem and was surfing for the answer. It is especially bad when the AC is on, any help would be appreciated. Could it be something besides the mounts?? Thanks :surprise: :confuse: :)