Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord (1990-1993) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• hey thank-you for the insight.. one more symptom-- when I pump the brakes the rpm's rev up. Does this help furthur diagnosis? thanks again.
  • That might indicate a problem with the power brake vacuum booster yes.
  • I have never seen the radiator cooling fan come on on this car unless the A/C was turned on (then both the A/C fan and Radiator fan come on). Note - this is not a daily driver. I can not believe that my engine never gets hot enough for this fan to be needed.

I want to determine that the fan is functioning as designed and I am not going to cook the engine.

I have done the following as part of the diagnosis:
    1) Short the terminals on the thermoswitch connection (ignition on) - fan comes on as it should
    2) Removed thermoswitch and checked it for resistivity in boiling water - switch closes as designed below 100C (design is to open at 93C)
    3) Rebled cooling system to verify no air pockets

Qs: For anyone who understands and has worked with these systems:
    a) Is it possible that this system is OK or am I missing something else
    b) Is it beneficial to buy one of the aftermarket thermoswitches that opens at 80C

Thanks
  • Does your car not have a temp gauge? And yes, you can lower the temperature at which the fan comes on by installing a different sender but I would use a factory one. And yes, the fans are supposed to go on when you turn the AC on.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Yes its reasonable. I had just the timing belt, balancer belt, and waterpump replaced on my '96 2.2L Accord LX for $478 (the next cheapest quote was $720, and the dealer wanted $850), so that sounds reasonable indeed.
  • I dont have any brake lights. I replaced the brake switch and still nothing?
  • I have a 90 Accord LX 5sp. The problem I have is that the rad fan will not run when the engine is running. The fan works fine with the key off and cools accordingly then shuts off as it cools down enough. The relay is fine and the rad fan thermo switch is new. Could there be a problem with the ignition switch or wiring at the switch which would cause the fan not to run when the engine is on, but work as normal when the key is off? Has anyone come across this anomaly? Please help! :cry:
  • Here is a link to troubleshooting the fan:
    http://techauto.awardspace.com/overheating.html#nofan. Hope this helps.
    Regards,
    Corkscrew
  • whenever I brake, the steering wheel shakes but not too much. What could be the problem? I had my front tires replaced sometime ago and they did balance and alignment on it. Please advise.
    Thank you.
  • warped brake rotors.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    2nd the warped brake rotors. They need to be turned, or replaced.
  • astorastor Posts: 30
    I just had the same problem, except the brake lights on the passenger side and the center brake light were out. I had my independent Honda guy replace the right side brake light sensor and viola it's fixed. You might have a problem with both the sensors on both tail lights not working. First, make sure your brake light bulbs are not completely burnt out.
  • Hi all

My brakes are shot and need repair badly. When braking, I hear the dreadful sound of metal crunching together and the ABS light is on. When I get my brakes replaced, I'd like it to be free from any resistance and ride smooth. Is there anything specific I should ask my brake mechanic? Will the mechanic check for sticking calipers? Is Just Brakes® a reliable place to go to?

thanks
    Cybercool
  • hi all

Will I see and feel any difference if I add a flowmaster muffler and airflow intake in my 93' my Accord and a tune up ? I really want my car to ride smooth and clean.

Cybercool
  • Sounds like you need a complete overhaul on those brakes, including wheel sensors for the ABS. I'm not a big fan of automotive franchise operations, no. I'd suggest you go to an independent repair shop that specializes in Hondas. The franchise shops tend to over-sell you, and they don't always use quality parts, either. They'll always try to fix all your problems within their specialty. If the car doesn't run right, it's the brakes. If there's a hole in the muffler, it's the brakes. If rain leaks in, it's the brakes. Their focus is too narrow (of course I'm exaggerating).

I don't know what you have in mind for intake modifications. If you mean just dropping in a K&N filter and adding a flowmaster---no, that won't do you any good at all. If you mean adding a Cold Air Intake system, then yes, you would get better throttle response and a few more HP and the Flowmaster, while not giving much if any more power, would at least sound nice.

You have to keep in mind that from the front of your air filter to the tip of your exhaust is ONE BIG TUBE. If you increase the intake and the exhaust and do nothing in the middle (the engine), then your results are going to be very limited in ratio to the money you spend.

All it takes is money. How fast do you want to go?
  • Thanks Mr shiftright

I dont want to go to fast but I'd like a quick pick up a little speed. When replacing the air filter for a cold air intake, should I think of replacing exhaust tubing and muffler? One mechanic showed me that the muffler is filled with loose dubris and crap in it.

Cybercool
  • Sure a free-flow cat-back exhaust would be okay.
  • Hello everyone,
    When using LED light bulbs on my turn signals, do you need some kind of resistor for the turn signals to work properly? The turn signal lights on my instrument panel goes on and stays on without blinking and the flasher has a very loud buzzing sound.
    I use the LED bulbs on my brake and back up lights without any problems. All your wisdom and help will be greatly appreciated by me.
    I hope someone knows how to remedy this situation.
    Mahalo,
    94shadow

:sick:
  • If your car uses an older type of flasher unit that requires the load of an incandescent bulb, then yes, it needs an additional load. The other option would be to update the flasher unit.

Here is a web page that talks about the problem your having.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/carbulb-notes.htm

Mrbill
  • Can I fit a 92/93 transmission into a 1991?
    Will it work? My concern is the "SPORTS MODE"
    stuff and the TCM.