Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord (1990-1993) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• i have a 1990 honda accord lx and i just had the starter replaced while driving it home the engine light came on and the car started loosing power. I tried to restart the car and abosutely nothig happened like the battery was dead. I charged the battery and replaced it back into the car and the car started right away. I was wondering if it could be the alternator and how could i test it to find out if this is the problem or is there something else happening. The battery is brand new. Thanks for the help it is appreciated.
  • About how much would it cost me to replace a bulb for a brake light on a 1990 Honda Accord Ex? Is it expensive?
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Shouldn't be more than a few dollars.
  • jessi82jessi82 Posts: 2
    I have been having a problem with the front drivers side wheel, making a clunking sound when I go down rough roads or over bumps near the middle of the road. It's not my CV joint. I know that for a fact. My question is, is it the ball joint? If it is, how do I know if it's the upper or lower or whatever to look for to purchase it. It sounds like a wobbly-clunk, haha, if that helps. I don't have money for a mechanic right now, otherwise, I would take it to one. Please help!
  • jessi82jessi82 Posts: 2
    I have also been having problems with the tranny. Changed out the speed sensors, and changed the tranny fluid at the same time. But, to no avail. My tranny seems like it's wearing down. My car doesn't shift until I hit about 4-4.5 grand, unless I let off the accelerator after 3. I'm confused about what to do. I really need to have a reliable vehicle asap, as I'm 8 months pregnant, and will have a little one soon. I don't have a lot of money right now for a mechanic, so any suggestions as to how to fix it for not a lot of moolah, would be very greatly appreciated.
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    If the transmission fluid was really dirty when you changed it, It could be that the shift solenoid screen is clogged up. Check this link. It has a lot of helpful information on the 4th generation Accord (90-93). It may help you narrow the possibilities. Good luck
    http://techauto.awardspace.com/transmission.html
  • I have a 1990 honda accord lx and recently i have been having problems with the battery dying. I believe it might be the alternator but also the check engine light is coming on and also right before the car dies this green s light comes on. What does the green s light mean can anyone tell me? Thanks.
    I believe the "S" light is for the "Sport Shift". You can read up on it, at this link.
    http://techauto.awardspace.com/transmission.html
    PS: You might want to save this link, for future reference.
  • I have a '91 Accord EX, with an automatic transmission and only about 55,000 miles on it. I would like to keep it as long as I can. About two months ago, I had the timing belt replaced, and then the gas gauge, and then only a week or so ago a relay switch to the fuel pump, after it would not start. I was ok driving for about a day. On the past Saturday, as I pulled front first into a parking spot at a shopping center, the car suddenly revved up and lurched forward, as if both the transmission and throttle had gone crazy, with a loud screeching and clunking sound. I stopped it by putting the T Bar in neutral and applying the brake pedal. I had the car towed back to my mechanic. He says that he has gone over every possible site for a problem and finds nothing wrong with the transmission and fuel system. At this point, I am very reluctant to drive it. Does anyone know the solution?
    This type of thing has happened to me before. You push on the brake pedal, and don't realize your foot is also on the accelerator pedal. It's easy to do, because the pedals are so close together. Maybe this is what happened to you. Lucky for me, and you, we didn't hit anything. This type of thing happens all the time, and people swear the car accelerated on it's own. Many accidents are caused this way, and statistics of numerous investigations have indicated the cause to be simply driver error. Do an internet search on "sudden acceleration", and you will probably find this is very common.
  • elroy5,

Thanks for the answer. But I cannot agree that what you suggested is what actually happened as I use only my right foot on either pedal. Your suggestion is frequently given, but first look at this site for some disagreement and discussion on this matter.
    http://home.comcast.net/~nessim1/SuddenAccelerationNotMyth.htm

Then "google" the phrase "sudden acceleration". It's apparently a wide spread problem that the manufacturers have strongly fought to deny. There is a wide consensus that there is much more to it than driver error.
    Very interesting. I can remember seeing a 60 minutes show about sudden acceleration, and they had basicly said the instances were 99% driver error. Have you had the cruise control cable checked out? I would like to know if you find this is the problem.

But I cannot agree that what you suggested is what actually happened as I use only my right foot on either pedal.

You definitely can push both pedals, at the same time, with only your right foot. That's what I had done (I never use my left foot to drive). I was pushing down on the brake pedal, but the side of my right foot was still pushing on the accelerator. It was very scary, because I wanted to stop, and pushed harder on the brake pedal, which also pushed the accelerator down even farther. I am not saying this is what happened to you, just saying it can happen, using only your right foot, as I do.
  • I just bought a 1990 Honda Accord EX and i love it. Has 187K miles and runs like a tank. All prev. maintenance has been done!

Just a few problems..
    When i turn the car off it wont restart and i have to wait a good 5 minutes till it will turn over again. I changed out the fuel filter and the problem still exists. Possibly Vapor lock?

Tranny shifts hard! Another forum tells me it can be corrected by adding a bottle of Lubeguard conditioner to the automatic transmission fluid.

I dont wanna blow a bunch of money. Can you help me troubleshoot!?
  • mrbill1957mrbill1957 Posts: 818
    Whatever you do, don't add any conditioner to the tranny.

Back when I had my 88 Accord, I had a chat with a local Import service garage. The guy who ran the shop was a former Honda master mechanic who decided to go out on his own. He is very knowledgeable on the Honda transmissions (at least the older ones) and he said whatever I do, DON"T add anything besides transmission fluid to the car. He claimed conditioners added to Accords soften the adhesives used in the friction clutches. Once the adhesive starts to let go, the tranny will need a rebuild.

A good mutual friend of the mechanic and I has known him for years and has nothing but high regards for him. The friend commented that he even gets Hondas from the local dealer when they can't figure out whats wrong with the car, so based on that, I'm going to trust his advice.

Replacing the fluid with genuine Honda fluid should help smooth out the shifting. Don't flush it, just change it (a couple of times if necessary) should do the trick.

Mrbill
    When the car will not start, you need to find out what is missing. Spark or fuel? That would at least narrow the possibilities.
    Have you checked the condition of the transmission fluid? A simple drain and fill (3 quarts of Honda fluid) may help. All Accords of that generation shift a little hard, but if the fluid is old and dirty, some fresh fluid can help.
  • I had a starting problem that was fixed just a week or so ago. For a while, it had been intermittent, sometimes starting and sometimes not, then it finally quit entirely. It turned out to be a relay switch that ignites the fuel pump. The replacement component was about $90.00, but the labor was about $250 more (ouch!) Only a day or so after I got it back, I had the "unintended acceleration" incident. My mechanic disconnected the cruise control cable and examined and cleaned the linkage going to the throttle. But he's still convinced that it was a case of "driver error." The argument over whether it is due to some hidden defect or a result of a foot intended for the brake, but misplaced on the accelerated is all over the automotive forums --- and seems to still be unsettled.
  • i have a 1990 honda accord and it is pulsing up and down. i cant figur out how to fix the idleing problem. what would it be if some one could give me some hints i would be thankfule
  • nhicksnhicks Posts: 1
    My daughter's car is a 1990 Honda Accord EX with 170k miles. The car needs struts. She is in Baltimore and a student. Unfortunately, we are not in Baltimore. We are looking for a reputable and reliable service station you would recommend in Baltimore, MD.
    nancy
  • I wish that I could help you. I'm very sorry, but I don't know any mechanics in the Baltimore area. If you asked about Philadelphia, I could help a bit, but not Baltimore!
  • glynosglynos Posts: 3
    Hi, my 90 accord lx 2.2 is having some kind of electrical problem. Sometimes it will start, sometimes not. It always cranks over fine. When I'm driving my dash lights will flash on and off-- (the red lights showing doors and trunk being open) Any hints or suggestions would be appreciated. thanks.