Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord (1990-1993) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Thanks...I finally found it! The service code I am getting is 43...would that cause issues with the computers? I believe it is fuel system issues? If not what do I need to do to correct that? So you think the computers need to be replaced...because I am having some shifting issues? Would the S light come on due to code 43 you think? Thanks!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,404
    I wasn't the one who suggested replacing the ECU, although this could be a possibility. You might try going to the underhood fuse/relay box, and disconnect the BACK UP fuse for 10 seconds, to reset the ECU.

I'm going to e-mail you a diagnostic flow chart for Code 43, to show you all the things you have to check. It might be a bit hard to read, so you'll have to blow it up on your computer screen.

• Thanks...yes I am having trouble reading it..but need to print it off too look at it better. The S light hasnt' come on anymore...just the check engine light every time I get to around 60ish MPH......then it almost feels like the car is going in and out of gear or something..the RPM's go up to around 3 and stick there.....just seems like the power is forced or something....and then it will almost go up and down the engine sound....just feels weird...but not sure what it could be. I also have a whole in my muffler do you think that would cause the 43 code? Thanks for your help!
  • rita49rita49 Posts: 2
    i have the same problem my 1990 honda accord dosint want to start, ive replaced the distrubeter but thats not the problem and my car dosint want to read the codes what should i do
  • worldecmworldecm Posts: 2
    edited January 2011
    My experience has been that the computers for the engine and transmission start to fail at about the same time. Usually around 100k and the reason why is mostly parts on the circuit boards have a lifetime that is around the same as 100k miles on the odometer... Give or take... Id consider the ecm and tcm at around 100k. If you need to get a mechanic to test the computers with a scanner and see what it says...
  • rita49rita49 Posts: 2
    so where would i go to get a ecm for my car, is the ecm is that what they call the brain
  • Hello every one,
    I have Honda Accord 1993 automatic with 200k; it has idle surging problem when the car is getting hot, after about 20minuts it becomes normal, the temperature gauge is showing engine is very hot but the engine is not hot. I went to Honda dealer they charged me $1600 replaced idle control valve and to make extra coolant system diagnose , but did not stop and suggested me to change the cylinder gasket. Iam thinking is it worth of spending money on it asking for $1100!

Now I have another problem is the transmission, it takes very hard to change gear from second to third and forth, seems to be it takes more time than the normal to change the gear. I have added one qt fluid but no change. But car runs very good, never stopped on me.

Could you please suggest me what could be wrong in my car! Thanks in advance.
    Well the dealer could easily perform a cooling system pressure test to determine if the head gasket is bad---you don't have to "guess" about a head gasket.

I presume you made a type and you meant that you were charged $160, not $1600 for an AIC valve?

Checking the cooling system was a good idea, since air blockage could cause false readings on the temp. gauge.

It's possible that the dealer can't deal with such an old car. Perhaps you need to take it to an independent japanese car repair shop and get a second opinion. These independent shops are used to working on older models---the dealer is not and probably his mechanics were 10 years old when these cars were built.

• Thank you sir, they charged me $1546, for diagnose the cooling system itself $240, replaced the fan sensor switch, the thermostat and the idle control valve including labor and tax. Yes, it seems I made a big mistake going to dealer with the old car.
    I was not satisfied and amazed that after spending $1600 they told me I need the head gasket replacement and the transmission; it is more than I bought the car.
    The transmission, it is just taking extra time to change the gear from second to third or fourth according to the speed.
  • I have a 1993 honda accord ex, I've been having some trouble with my car while driving it, when I hit the gas it goes smoothly but out of nowhere it seems to loose power so I release the gas pedal and about 10 seconds later I hit again and car goes again, so I was told by a mechanic that it was the distributor I changed it but it seems to do the same thing. In the freeway it does the same thing but the check engine light goes on and the problem seems to stop.....can someone help me figure out whats going on with my car?
  • I have a 92 accord that does the same thing. What codes are you getting? I get a 1 (O2 Sensor) and 43(Fuel Delivery). I have replaced the O2 sensor, still have same problem. I would love to narrow down possible items to check before replacing good parts for nothing. I would appreciate any input on this, this is my daughters car and I want to get the problem corrected.
    Thanks,
  • astorastor Posts: 30
    Here's what you need to do ASAP. Find an Independent Honda mechanic who works only on Honda's. The stealerships are a big ripoff. Not sure where you are located, but I've found a couple of very good Independent Honda mechanics in my area using http://www.cartalk.com/content/mechx/find.html

Goodluck!
  • I wanna know is what engines are compatible with my car. i have honda accord ex 1990 5 speed and i was looking at a f22b sohc for 94-95 will this work?
  • I would contact the Attorney General's office or the Consumer Affairs office for your state. They may have specific laws in place that criminalize fraudulent auto repair practices. They may also have investigators to look into your complaint. It sounds like you really were defrauded. Crooked mechanics target people they think are naive about cars, namely little old ladies, women in general, people from foreign countries, younger adults, and others who appear not to have speciific knowledge of cars or who are operating at a disadvantage for some reason. I would call the AG office and/or the
    Consumer Affairs office in your state.
  • i have a 1990 honda accord it runs fine when its running but sometimes with i try to crank it. it will not crank it seams like it is not getting any gas i have changed the fuel filter and the fuel pump the weard part is that if i wait for like an hour it will crank fine. so if any one knows or has any ideas i could realy use some help.
  • dadajidadaji Posts: 4
    I have 93 Honda Accord 10th Anniversary edition, 183300 miles, auto. I noticed today when accelerating, the needle on the rpm gauge jumps up fast and comes back to normal. This happens when I am accelerating gradually or at least thats what I noticed. Is there anything I need to be worried about? Any ideas on it please?
    Thank you.
    Well if the transmission is slipping, you have a lot to worry about...when this occurs, does the car behave like it's in neutral, or does it continue to accelerate normally?

• kyaimtr2004kyaimtr2004 Posts: 1
    edited May 2011
    My Accord this problem, star and idle is no problem ,when I press gas pedal a litle this misfire, TPS, IACV, FITV , injectors, fuel filter, spark plug and ignition system is clean, Chek Engine Light no on, What this problem in my car ? HELP ME :cry: :cry: :cry:
  • snickers14snickers14 Posts: 1
    I have the same problem. For a month if I loosen the gas cap and let the air out it cranks right up. It did this for 1 month and last night it would not crank at all. I went and bought a new gas cap put it on this morning and it fired right up. Maybe try a new gas cap/
  • dadajidadaji Posts: 4
    Thank you for the reply. When this happens, I think it does behave and accelerates normally.
    Second thing I have noticed that the 'maintenance required' is red. I have the oil changed on it, I had pushed the little thing next to the maintenance required light to green but in a month or so it came back to red. I have asked around and the mechanics are not sure why it might be and they cannot hook up the machine to check what is wrong because my car is too old (93 accord). I tried to get the light back to green but it would not come back to green.
    I am not sure if this is related to my original problem but just throwing out to you guys. Any ideas or if you need any more information, please let me know.
    Thank you.