Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord (1994-1997) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    oops, thanks for the clarification.

i thought my '94 did the same. my mistake. anyway, i thought that was the optimal setup to clear the front windshield so i thought i'd enumerate them.

it seems counter-intuitive to run the AC but it works.

also i find situations in freakish downpours also benefit from the AC remaining on to keep the front glass clear.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    it seems counter-intuitive to run the AC but it works.

yes, the air conditioner dehumidifies the air, keeping moisture off the windows!
  • I'm probably getting annoying with my dumb questions, but once in a while I will have an issue where the key will not turn in the driver's side door. Sometimes the key won't even go into the lock. However, on the other passenger side lock it works just fine. Does this mean that I may have to replace my locks or is there something that can be done about it?

I don't know if anybody else has this problem periodically or if I shouldn't worry about it. If anybody doesn't know I have a 95 EX.

Thank you for any reply.
  • tallman1tallman1 Posts: 1,874
    It depends... try some WD-40 or graphite for locks and see if it helps. It may just need some lubrication.
  • It's also good to run the A/C once in a while during the winter to keep the seals lubricated in the compressor.

Mrbill
    oh yeah good point.
  • Thank you for the tip. I just bought a bottle for other things and this helps a lot.
  • I have the same problem but at the passenger side, one of my keys works only on the driver side and the other one on both!, I'll try to lubricate it and see how it goes.
    95-Accord-EX
  • I don't know too much about cars, so if anybody could give me some help, it would be greatly appreciated. I drive a 1995 Honda Accord EX. and just recently sicne we had that big (only) snowstorm in New England the other day, my engine and the steering wheel seems to be shaking once I put the car in 5th gear. I was just wondering, could it be the cold weather, is this a common problem, is it not a big deal, or should I get it checked out? Please help. Thank you.
    check to see if a chunk of ice and snow has grafted itself onto one of the wheels.

if people drive through mud, same issue.

some sticks: significant enough amount to throw wheel balancing off and car shakes at certain speed range.

hopefully, that is your problem.
  • I recently inherited my moms 97 accord ex v6 and after driving it for a few weeks it is getting me around 23 miles per gallon on gas. I am not very happy with this because i am used to the 29 miles per gallon i used to get in my 96 accord lx v6. I am planning on getting the tune up per the ext. warrantee that honda offers but wanted to ask if anyone has any other ideas why such a big difference in these 2 cars. My parents bought this car new and i have all the service records on it. It currently has around 94k on it my 96 accord has around 139k. Anyway if i need to post more info here just let me know. Thanks for any help.
    I can't figure out why they would be so different, assuming conditions are the same for both. Do what you talked about, get a tune up. New spark plugs, air filter, etc... should help matters a lot, especially if these havent been done in a long time. I went from 22 MPG to 24 MPG years ago after getting new spark plugs and an air filter change after over 60,000 miles since the previous ones were fixed. Not sure that your mileage will go up 6 MPG (especially since the sticker on this car tops out at 26 MPG - 23 MPG sounds pretty good in mixed driving conditions, especially in our deep, cold, winter.
  • Hi
    Recently after driving a long distance I started experiencing problem like the engine is not stable.AS per the advise of the mechanic changed sparc plugs,sparc plugs cables and even the petrol filter, still there is no change.Iam getting sound like an aeroplane from engine. Not getting even MIL indication.
    The car is Honda accord of 96 make.
    Iam planning to take it Honda show room for Engine tuning before that I want any good sujjestions and tips from any u.
    Thanks and regards :confuse:
  • I've had my used honda for about 8 months now, and I've already done so many things for it. I had to repair a couple of oil leaks and I had to get a new muffler. But now I seem to have a bigger problem.

I drive a 1996 Honda Accord EX V6

When I drive for about thirty minutes, going the same speed, my RPM meter starts going up and down. It's orginally at 2 and then it shoots down to 1 and then finally, when it reaches 0 it jerks kinda bad. It freaks me out a little. I've asked soooo many people about this and they have given me a few answers. They think it's my ignition coil. But it don't think so. I need help! I have no knowledge about cars WHATSOEVER!! Please help.

Thank you! :cry: :sick:
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    Read this link, and see if any of this sounds familiar to your problem. good luck

http://techauto.te.funpic.org/vss.php

Two questions, does the cruise control work? and is the Check Engine Light on?
  • mamamia2mamamia2 ChicagoPosts: 701
    HEY, I HAVE SOME GOOD NEWS FOR YA....I hope.....

If you have less than 150,000 miles on the odometer, you're probably eligible for the famous Accord SPECIAL RECALL... Do a search here about service bulletin 98-081. Your car is probably covered by this special recall. Your problem is probably the Speed Sensor and your Distributor Cap. And you should get it fixed FOR FREE!...

Take your car to the nearest Honda dealership and tell them to check about this special service bulletin 98-081... You may be able to get a PDF copy of this bulletin by doing some Google search.

Not only this, you're also elligible for a FREE tune up at 75,000 and 150,000 miles.
  • No, my check engine light isn't on and my cruise control does work. It's so weird. I've even asked a honda mechanic in my town and he said it might be my spark plugs. But I got new ones, but they aren't honda quality. I think I should check to see if my cap and my speed sensor are broken. I would do the recall but I have 160,000 miles. So yea, it sucks. Thanks for your HELP! :)
    Since your cruise control works, I suspect the igniter, or something distributor related. If it happens again, check for spark, and fuel.

Another thing you may want to check is, if your car was included in the ignition switch recall. When the ignition switch is bad, the engine will seemingly start, then die as soon as you release the key.
    My Honda dealer goodwilled my Oxygen Sensor at 168,000 miles (1996 Accord LX 4-cylinder). I threw a Check Engine Light, caused by the O2 sensor, and because they knew that stuff was problematic (I think it may have been replaced around 80,000 miles) they installed it at no charge for either parts OR labor. Free.

Just a thought, since you are so close to being covered in the warranty, they may help you out too if that turns out to be part of the problem.
  • Hello everyone,

I am fighting the good fight: keeping my 96 lx running (now 159k).

Recently however I've noticed my rpm at a stoplight vary. Sometimes good around 700 rpms, other times it'll be at 4-500 rpm.

I was ok with that,but more recently right after I start my car and shift into gear (R or D) the revs sometimes drops significantly, one time to 200 rpm and one time the engine shut off.

Also not sure if it related, but when I accelrate and release the pedal, the rpms drop normally and othertimes they drop from 2800 to 1500 , shift gears , and then they're back up to normal rpm range.

Oh I have an automatic.

Please help I tried pcv valve, air intake, I used a cleaning spray for the throttle body. :confuse:
    When my (sold since) '95 Accord V6 had this problem, what was going crazy was the SPEEDOMETER needle, not the RPM needle. And the car was slightly BUCKING at high speed. No "check engine" light, though. Replacing the Speed Sensor and Distribution Cap fixed it all. I think I paid about $450 to my local guy, then I found out about the special recall -- and got reimbursed by Honda.
    Read back a couple of pages, this has just been covered. Here's the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) link again. It may be covered by an extended warranty, so check that out too. Hope you solve the problem.

http://techauto.te.funpic.org/vss.php
  • I went to honda for the recall work. I have to double check the invoice but they should have automatically replaced that right?

I was with him when he replaced my distributor and spark plug wires...not sure if he did the VSS.

What do I do now? :cry:
    Find out for sure. Duh. :confuse:
  • Nope, they never replaced the VSS.

Now I remember how they were trying to get me to pay for the parts they were installing as part of the service bulletin

I had issue with it and I guess they got around it by not replacing the part.

So do you think I can take it to another dealership to get the VSS replaced? If not how hard is it to replace. I hear it is located beneath the thermostat housing.
    Click on the link I posted. It has pictures, and all the details.
  • I had the service bulletin done on my 97 Accord Ex and 2 years later my speedometer stopped working. After I changed it, I found out on this site that it should have been replace during the service bulletin. I took my car back to the same Honda dealer with the receipt for the new VSS and a copy of the bulletin showing them that they should have replaced it. They then changed it and reset the computer to turn off the check engine light, it stayed on after I changed the VSS. You should do the same or if you feel uncomfortable with that Honda dealership go to a different one.
    djsg143, if the work was done BEFORE the car hit the 150,000 on the odometer, you were eligible for a FREE service, if it was covered by that bulletin. And you were eligible for a FREE TUNE UP.

Since your dealer has been trying to play funny games, before going back to him, or any other dealership, I would call Honda first, discuss it with them, let them call the dealership and give them instructions.

The Speed Sensor, btw, is right next to (or even attached to) the Distributor Cap, at least it was on my '95 Accord V6.
  • hi there,
    Have you had any reply's to your problem? I have a similar problem if not the same. My Honda accord 94 manual has been parked up for some time and the battery was dead. tried to swap the battery but as soon as i connect it the standard honda alarm keeps going off. I aslo have an aftermarket alarm fitted but have disarmed that. Someone told me to reset the fuse for the standard alarm, i found that but it hasn't reset. No matter what i do i can't start it with the alarm going off. If you have found a solution then i would appreciate any advice.
    this may help. i saw a reference to the auto alarming with the battery removed with the alarm still armed on page 18, which i think is your scenario.

anyway, perhaps this has the info you seek.
    https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/AU/AAM32039.pdf