Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord (1994-1997) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    Cleaning the shift solenoids could help. Any idea how dirty the fluid was before the change? It could also be a speed sensor, but not likely. Is the check engine light or D4 light on the dash on or blinking, when it shouldn't be? This link has more detailed information on the transmission. Hope it helps. It is for older Accord transmissions, but it may help you. Good luck.
    http://techauto.awardspace.com/transmission.html
  • The fluid was nearly black when I got it changed. None of the lights are blinking on the dashboard. I checked out the link you gave, has valuable information. Thanks very much. I hope its not a serious problem, will check with a Honda Dealer probably.
  • user5user5 Posts: 8
    1997 Honda Accord Lx, 4-dr, auto, a/c, 137000 miles. Replaced radiator and water hose (radiator to engine) last year. This year the hose split/cracked longitudinally. Dealer/service tells me that the replaced the hose and tested the cooling sytem. They think that head gasket needs replacement - the gas pressure from the engine leaks into th cooling system, that is why the hose split.

I ca get the head gasket replaced, but once you open the engine do you know what you are getting into? Additional head/valve job, piston/cylinder/rings job?

2 yrs ago I spent like $3k on miscellaneous items. O.therwise it is in great condition.

Any experience like this?
  • omarromarr Posts: 88
    You don,t change the head gasket because they !!!!!!!!! THINK !!!!!! the head gasket needs replaced. If they tested the cooling system they would know !!!!!!!! FOR SURE.
    The radiator cap would relieve the pressure if excessive pressure was introduced from engine compression. I think you had a bad hose from your information.

Even if you replaced the head gasket, I wouldn't do anything to the head unless there is something that indicates a need. Low compression, oil loss around the valve stems usually indicated by exhaust smoke at startup after setting for a good length of time.

You need to find a better mechanic/ Dealer/service sounds like they are ready to rip you off.
  • I have a 1994 Honda Accord LX 4 door 4 cyl. SOHC. I wanted to change the thermostat because a friend of mine said that the temperature gauge goes normal to hot back to normal then to hot. I was looking in the engine but have no idea where the thermostat is located and how to change it. Can someone tell me where it is at and how to change it? Thanks
  • Hi everyone,
    Does anyone know where I can download a good manaul similar to what is used at a dealership
    Tomorrow I am removing a F22B motor on a 1996 accord LX and installing a 1995 motor from Japan. The Japanese motor doesn't have a sensor on the oil pump. I can't find my Haynes manual which I thought was ok at best. I really don't want to buy another hanynes manual tomorrow. I need to pull the front of this motor apart tomorrow. Can anyone think of anything I should watch out for other than pinning the counter weight.
    Be careful if you buy a 1996 Japanese motor. You will end up with a 1994-5 that the supplier changes the oil pump and charges you 200 more. I'm short for time the supplier put the screws to me. After setting the whole thing up a week ago, they waited for me to take the day off drive 50 miles to tell me there is no warranty because I am swapping the pump. I called them from an add on Ebay and they knew this is what I was doing. They wanted 200 more for a 96. After they put me on the spot I said I would take the 96. One of the guys slipped and said there was no time to take one of the motors and install a pump with the sensor.
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    If nobody else gets back to you, you could try www.helminc.com

Approximately how much are replacement engines for an old Accord? I assume they are rebuilt, correct?........ and you have to return your old block. Are these short blocks or long blocks?
  • Kiawah,

The motor is a used motor from Japan, cost 450.00. I found out that 450 to 500.00 it the normal price. There are alot of companies importing these motors all over the US. I saw the same adds being run for months. Apparently you have to rebuild or install a crate motor at what I was told 60K due to smog.
  • Does anyone know the original tires that came on this vehicle? I am buying a used accord that shows 152K on title but only 52K on odometer. Thank you in advance.
  • All is fine with my accord. I filled up yesterday at HESS and accidently put 89octane inside the tank :surprise: . I tell you this is the best my car has ran in a long time! All that jerking from before has gone and it rides like new! I hope it stays that way when i go back to regular in about a week... :P I didn't even notice a difference in price because gas has been changing in price so much lately but its starting to settle a bit at $3.10-$3.20 for regular.

I'm still working on that odometer.... and power antenna... But otherwise, All is fine after 1.7years. Just that the colder (70-80º instead of 90º) temperatures have made the mpg drop a bit. Its usually about 68º in the morning when I leave (6:50am) and 85º when I leave school around 3pm. Now i just drive with the windows and sunroof open which still doesn't help much.

As a sidenote, I bought one of those carspace license plate brackets. It looks nice on my accord! If only the white paint matched the white on the bracket... Oh well, it still looks good!

-Cj :) :shades:
  • I have removed the screws that hold the cover on the dash. I have found four screws but I am being held up around the controls and center vents. how do I get this section loose
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    I just replaced the temperature knob in my 1996 Accord for the umpteenth time. All you do is pull it off, pull the metal sleve off of the male coupling, and stick the new knob on.
    Sure you don't mean the temperature control knob? It's usually the one that cracks from the cable binding. You have to turn the knob slloooowwllly, without too much force, to avoid cracking the knob.
    Well I said temperature knob, I figured that was close enough. :)
    Sorry grad, I saw Fan control on the titles, and got discombobulated. :blush: But the real point was to help save someone from cracking anymore knobs. The cable binds up, if you turn the knob too quickly, and it can be prevented by allowing the tension to release. :D
    Yeah, this was actually the first "twist" of the season. I didn't make it 4 clicks before it broke.

The price of the knobs has gone up...$5.92 this time. It was less than 4 last time. :(
  • hello. I have a Honda 95 Accord. the cigaratte lighter has worked fine for years. recently, i pulled out a cell phone charger and the whole thing fell apart mechanically in pieces.

i guess i need to replace it, but i'm not sure how it's supposed to be put back together. any tips on what i should do? should i buy the mechanics manual and buy the parts from honda?

this is my first post.
    thanks
    fdonger
    I'm sure dealerships stock up on these knobs around this time of year, ;) when people start turning the knobs from cool to hot.
    Yep. I'm happy to have an electronically controlled knob in my 06, instead of the mechanical linkage. They did that starting in 1998 thankfully.
  • Hey All,

Just went in for a quick oil change and the mechanic said I have a major oil leak and I need to change my oil rings. Or atleast thats what I think he said. He told me it would cost about 165$. Does this sound about right? I can post a picture tonight but how hard would it to be to change this myself? and if not myself what would the parts be called so I can order it online. Thanks for any help you can give me! My card is hitting 230,000 and eventhough the exterior is a little worn the engine has been a trooper!
    If the mechanic is talking about the O-rings under the rocker arm assembly (non Vtec engine), the O-rings are probably less than $5.00, but changing them is not easy. You have to know what you are doing to attempt this project. Sounds like a good price, if that is the actual problem.
  • Do you know a place online I can order these? I have a buddy that lives a little farther off but he's a mechanic and lately been paying him to teach me when he fixes my car. Thanks
    I think it would be #19 in this illustration. I just took a shot at your year and model. This is what came up for a 95 LX. If this is what's leaking. Is the oil entering the spark plug tubes?

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&cat- cgry1=Accord&catcgry2=1995&catcgry3=4DR+LX&catcgry4=KA4AT&catcgry5=CYLINDER+HEAD- +%281%29
    It sounds like you don’t have a clue what you are talking about.
    How can you fix anything when you don’t have a clue about what the problem is.

It may be simple or it may be difficult.. You must be specific about the problem if you want good information.
  • Wow have you read my follows ups or my full question. Right now I have this information

Mechanic I never been too mentioned it was something like Oil Rings - Cost 160+
    Oil is visible on engine parts.

What I asked for
    How hard would an installation be.
    How much and where would I find it online to purchase oil rings (94 LX Accord)

Extra fact : I have a mechanic friend that can teach me how to fix it while he does it.

Tell me with that line of questioning and information what else would I need other than to make sure i'm buying the right part. Know where to buy the right part, and then give it to my mechanic friend to fix and teach?

Or did I somehow offend you mr high and mighty? I think that even if I was deaf and dumb if I knew what part to buy and had the motor and cognitive skills to bring it to a trusted mechanic friend then I should be fine am I wrong? Only reason I don't ask him right away is because since its a favor I'm TRYING to find enough information to make it as easy as possible for him.
  • Oh and Elroy! Thanks for the info. I'll look at the spark plugs tonight. I replaced them with my friend about 6 months ago so should be easy to see if there is new oil in there. I'll try posting a picture to make sure.

Thanks again!
    A mechanic mentioning was something like Oil Rings doesn't cut it.

It sounds like this mechanic has a sucker on the hook.

Where is the leak. top, bottom, front, back. internal engine, external engine?

Is there any oil on the ground?

If you have a picture post it.