Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord (1994-1997) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Yep. I'm happy to have an electronically controlled knob in my 06, instead of the mechanical linkage. They did that starting in 1998 thankfully.
  • Hey All,

Just went in for a quick oil change and the mechanic said I have a major oil leak and I need to change my oil rings. Or atleast thats what I think he said. He told me it would cost about 165$. Does this sound about right? I can post a picture tonight but how hard would it to be to change this myself? and if not myself what would the parts be called so I can order it online. Thanks for any help you can give me! My card is hitting 230,000 and eventhough the exterior is a little worn the engine has been a trooper!
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    If the mechanic is talking about the O-rings under the rocker arm assembly (non Vtec engine), the O-rings are probably less than $5.00, but changing them is not easy. You have to know what you are doing to attempt this project. Sounds like a good price, if that is the actual problem.
  • Do you know a place online I can order these? I have a buddy that lives a little farther off but he's a mechanic and lately been paying him to teach me when he fixes my car. Thanks
    I think it would be #19 in this illustration. I just took a shot at your year and model. This is what came up for a 95 LX. If this is what's leaking. Is the oil entering the spark plug tubes?

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&cat- cgry1=Accord&catcgry2=1995&catcgry3=4DR+LX&catcgry4=KA4AT&catcgry5=CYLINDER+HEAD- +%281%29
  • omarromarr Posts: 88
    It sounds like you don’t have a clue what you are talking about.
    How can you fix anything when you don’t have a clue about what the problem is.

It may be simple or it may be difficult.. You must be specific about the problem if you want good information.
  • Wow have you read my follows ups or my full question. Right now I have this information

Mechanic I never been too mentioned it was something like Oil Rings - Cost 160+
    Oil is visible on engine parts.

What I asked for
    How hard would an installation be.
    How much and where would I find it online to purchase oil rings (94 LX Accord)

Extra fact : I have a mechanic friend that can teach me how to fix it while he does it.

Tell me with that line of questioning and information what else would I need other than to make sure i'm buying the right part. Know where to buy the right part, and then give it to my mechanic friend to fix and teach?

Or did I somehow offend you mr high and mighty? I think that even if I was deaf and dumb if I knew what part to buy and had the motor and cognitive skills to bring it to a trusted mechanic friend then I should be fine am I wrong? Only reason I don't ask him right away is because since its a favor I'm TRYING to find enough information to make it as easy as possible for him.
  • Oh and Elroy! Thanks for the info. I'll look at the spark plugs tonight. I replaced them with my friend about 6 months ago so should be easy to see if there is new oil in there. I'll try posting a picture to make sure.

Thanks again!
  • omarromarr Posts: 88
    A mechanic mentioning was something like Oil Rings doesn't cut it.

It sounds like this mechanic has a sucker on the hook.

Where is the leak. top, bottom, front, back. internal engine, external engine?

Is there any oil on the ground?

If you have a picture post it.
  • The whole reason for the post was to make sure the mechanic wasn't just straight lying. First indication would be overcharging for the job which is why i asked. And BTW how does it make me a sucker when I'm finding out myself whats up? You are a funny cat. If I knew all the details and could fix it myself easily why would I even post in the forum?

Currently at work without a camera so will be posting them as soon as I can. It's an old car and in it's final years but currently broke because of a family incident so trying to save money and stretch it's life a little longer
    There is no such part as Oil Rings, so I assumed you were talking about O-rings. If you can see oil around the outside of the engine, the O-rings are not the problem. Ok, you finally said 94 LX, right? How many doors? Automatic or Standard transmission? Vtec or Non Vtec engine (if it's a Vtec engine it will say so on the top of the engine).
  • Well me and a friend were driving down the highway doing about 95 mph when all of a sudden the dash lights went out. Also when we got home the rear running lights were no longer working so we had to take the car off the road because it was illegal. What could be a solution to fix this problem..Any ideas !! Thankyou
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Do you have the "BRAKE LAMP" malfuntion indicator lamp lit?

I do find it funny that you took the car off the road because having the real taillights out was illegal... as if 95MPH wasn't!

What year/how many miles/what model car do you have?
  • user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    i presume the multi-function switch has gone bad or the connection to same is loose.

also check your dashboard intensity adjustment with the parking lights on.

maybe you just need new back light bulbs perhaps never noticing they were burnt out before.
  • anjelanjel Posts: 3
    I have an automatic 94 Accord EX. This morning I started the car as usual. When I put it into reverse, the engine turned off. This happened twice. Later in the afternoon the car started normally. Any ideas what could be wrong?
  • Hi guys,
    I think I am getting into this kind of late, I just took a Japanese f22b2 and swapped it over to a 1996 smog motor. It has been fun. I hope it fires up this Saturday!!!
    As for oil leaks, a mechanic should diagnose an oil leak to where it is coming from. After swapping the front case so I could install the crank sensors. I saw that you could have an oil lead from one of the following areas. A mechanic should narrow it down to the area

Front of the motor
    1. Front case ----- unlikely
    2. Front crank seal – common
    3. Front balance shaft seal
    4. Rear balance shaft seal
    5. Rear balance shaft gear box o ring ----- UN likely
    6. Front section of oil pan.
    7. Front cam seal
    8. Front area of valve cover

Rear of engine
    1. rear main seal housing ------ unlikely
    2. rear main crank seal – common
    3. rear section of oil pan
    4. distributor o ring

Fire wall side
    1. oil pressure sensor
    2. oil filter
    3. oil pan side
    4. head gasket side -------- unlikely
    5. valve cover side

Radiator side
    1. side of valve cover
    2. side of head gasket -------- unlikely
    3. side of oil pan

Note the oil pan seems to be a good design an unlikely to leak.

Hope this helps
  • ashawashaw Posts: 1
    Greetings. The heater in my 94 Accord blows cold air. I have replaced the thermostat, but no help.

Can someone point me to the most likely causes aside from the thermostat? Thanks
  • There is an in-line valve in one of the heater hoses. When you turn the "temp" knob on the dash, the cable opens/closes the valve. Usually they are mounted to the rear of the engine compartment, just in front of the fire wall. I'm guessing that something is disconnected/broke, and the valve isn't opening.

Mrbill
  • i have a 1995 honda accord wagon, manual trans ive replaced the radiator water pump and belt thomostat fans turn on i have fluid in my radiator what could be the problem