Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord (1994-1997) Maintenance and Repair

1565758596062»

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 46,002

That could be another problem entirely. Bearings need to be installed just right. I guess first thing you need to do is determine if it is the front wheel bearing that is the source of the squeal (a friend could listen as you back up or go forward)...and then deal with that problem...and then pull off the rear drums and look at the condition of the brakes.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• 9accord69accord6 Posts: 4
    I'm going to go ahead and have someone certified replace the front bearings and the master cylinder. Do you know if its possible to have the abs mod assembly disabled? It needs replacing as well, but the part is worth more than the car.

I don't think any repair shop would attempt to rebuild the ABS control unit, no. Your car should have the OBD-II diagnostic system, so the ABS module can be scanned for trouble codes.

• 9accord69accord6 Posts: 4
    Not rebuilt. Disabled totally. And maybe just use regular brakes
    edited May 4

yeah you could do that, but again, I'm not sure a shop would accept that liability. How do you know it's not working? Have you given the brakes a good slam to test the ABS? Remember, ABS won't work on surfaces like gravel.

• corruptcodycorruptcody Posts: 1

1997 honda accord, speedometer works when it wants to. already replaced the speed sensor. any other ideas on what it can be?

• jhrostjhrost Posts: 35

It's been a while since I've had a problem requiring forum help, and the layout looks a bit different since last time, but hopefully this is still the right forum to seek advice in.

Anyway, my 1995 Accord LX 4-door which I purchased new in October of 1994 has a curious problem - a couple of days ago the instrument panel "brake light" warning came on. Sure enough, on checking it out the passenger-side light was not working, though the driver side and rear window ones were. Since all these are on the same fuse according to my manual, but 2 of the 3 are working, it appeared a slam-dunk that this was a case of a burned out-bulb.

Accordingly, I went to the parts store and purchased a 2-pack of bulbs (the thinking I guess is that if you have a burn-out of one bulb, the other is probably not too long for the world either). I replaced both bulbs and expected that everything would be honky-dory, but unfortunately the passenger-side brake light still doesn't work.

The emergency flashers, which are on a different fuse but use the same bulbs, do work. Ergo, the bulb is not the problem after all. But then, what is causing the brake light on that side to not work?? I'm not particularly knowledgeable about electrical circuits, but I would think that if the wiring to the bulb were somehow compromised, it would blow the fuse and none of the 3 brake lights would work.

Any insight into or help with this problem would be much appreciated.

I think I misspoke about the emergency flashers using the same bulb - I think that it's the rear taillights that use the same bulb. When you turn on the headlights the rear taillight on the passenger side does come on, but the same bulb doesn't light when you depress the brakes without the headlights turned on.

Actually, now I'm thinking I may have just replaced the wrong bulbs, lol. On taking a closer look, there are 3 bulbs back there, and one that I didn't replace looks kind of cloudy ...ach, what a stupid I am! Sorry to subject my dumbness onto the forum.