Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord (1994-1997) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• omarromarr Posts: 88
    Check for more Factory Service Manuals.

http://www.hondahookup.com/manuals

You will need to register to download. no big deal its free. :)
  • Thanks, Omar. I can always use better manuals.
  • Last night when I started my 1996 accord, the D4 light on my dash panel started blinking and it took quite a bit on the gas pedal to get her to go. After driving a mile or so, the light stopped blinking and all seemed to be ok. I know this stuff dosent just go away, anyone have any ideas on what could be wrong with my tranny? Oh, the car has about 160k miles, and its my first automatic ever.
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    The blinking D4 light is the transmission computer telling you there is a malfunction, either the computer itself, of one of the controls. Many auto parts chains (Autozone/Advance) will read the codes free of charge. The code's should give you an idea where to start looking for the problem.
  • kzookidkzookid Posts: 2
    Is it easy to replace a thermostat or water pump? I know 'stats run under $20 for the part, but what about water pump prices? I don't here any funny sounds. The exhaust is clean and doesn't smell. I know one of the fans stays on when the vehicle turns off and runs for a few minutes if the temp runs above the middle line. I believe the fan in the front by the grill?
  • I have a 95 Accord LX with a 4 cylinder and an automatic transmission. Lately, my car has been making a "thunk" noise (it sounds like a heavy boot hitting an unfinished plywood floor) when upshifting. Yet it only does this when I am not driving "pedal to the metal". If I am accelerating heavily, the car shifts smoothly like it always has.

It feels like it is hesitating to shift, the RPMs go higher than they should. The car also downshifts going down hills earlier than I feel it should (and used to).

Anyone have a clue about this? My transmission fluid is clear red, doesn't feel dirty, and it smells like it just came out of the bottle.

I appreciate your comments.
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    I would check the engine and transmission mounts. Just guessing.
  • yeah, autozone only tests cars 1996 or newer. im pretty sure its my transmission computer- i found one on ebay and it on its way.
  • I have a 1996 Accord that the speedometer has stopped working. I have changed the speed sensor but that did not help. I have searched the web and found several things referring to checking the voltage to the sensor. All articles refer to a yellow wire being open. On this vehicle there are two wires going to the sensor. From the sensor plug to the sensor there is a yellow and a white. From the sensor plug back to the wiring harness there is an orange with blue stripe and white with blue stripe. The orange wire plugs into the yellow wire. The white has continuity to ground so I assume this is the ground. There is no voltage to the orange wire. All articles say the yellow wire should have battery voltage but there is none to the sensor. There are references that the voltage should come from fuse 1 under the dash, Fuse 1 is good. I can apply battery voltage to the orange wire but sensor still does not work. I am at a loss here, Has anyone else had any similar problems?
    Do you have cruise control? If it works, there is not a problem with the VSS.
    What does the speedometer read/do when the car is moving?
  • It's not too difficult. Start by cleaning all the junk out of your center console so you can get to the two phillips screws on the bottom (you'll need to pry up the plastic piece covering the screws). Next remove your drink holder (it'll pull right out) and remove the screw under it. Now, you should be able to lift the console over the parking brake and set it aside. You should be able to locate 2 screws on each side of the gearshft (remove them). Pull the ashtray out and there should be one more screw under it. The whole plastic bezel around the gear shift and radio unit should loosen now ( it's just held in with clips). Disconnect the lighter connection and the defrost and clock connection from the back of the plastic trim and lift and remove it. You should see screws on each side of the front of the gearshift. remove those. In order to slip the unit over the gearshift, remove the two phillips screws hlolding the shifter knob on (one on each side). Slip the gearshift knob off and slip the gearshift plastic bezel up and over the gearstick. The lamp for the unit is on the left side. Check to see if it just fell out, in which case you can push it back through the hole and twist it to lock, or replace the bulb by just reversing the previous mentioned fix.
  • Cruise does not work. The speedometer does not even move when driving. The sppedometer was replaced once before. If the speedometer goes out, would that keep the cruise from working? I have no idea. Where does the vss get it voltage from? This vehicle does not have the vss that is driven by the small shaft. This sensor is located on the front side of the transmission and only has two wires going to it. Anyone have any ideas?

Barry
  • I have the same issue except my cruise control works. The speedometer stays @ 20 mph. It does not affect anything so I just left it alone!
    Sam421 has a problem with a bad speedometer head .

The signal for the speedometer and cruise control coms from the VSS.
    Your car is OBD2 CODE level "96 and up" I would thike if the VSS was bad you would have a check engine light on. (if needed the obd2 code plug is behind the ash tray)

Take a look at this site, It is not you year but it may give you ideas.
    http://techauto.awardspace.com/vss.html#Solutions
  • Yes it does have the P0501 code which says it is the VSS. But I have swapped VSS with an old one and it was the same results. using an ohm meter and checking for voltage by pass the vss over a piece of metal it will produce a voltage. If I check it in the car with the wheel jacked off the ground, I get voltage but still nothing on the speedometer. It stays at zero all the time. I have ordered a new vss, but do not want to install it because then it can't be returned if mine are not bad. Could this be a computer (ECM) problem?

Barry
  • If it helps (in case you didn't know), I can give you approx speeds in 4th gear that match certain RPM, if you have a non-Vtec 2.2L Auto (like mine).

1200 RPM per 30 MPH is about right.

1800RPM - 45mph

2400RPM - 60 MPH

2800 RPM - 70 MPH

etc...
  • OK, Have an update. Drove car this evening just to make sure cruise did not work. When I started down the driveway, speedo was working. Drove the car about 20 miles and all was fine and cruise worked. Got back home, turned the car off. A couple of hours later decided to drive it again, this time speedo did not work. Started up the road and speedo started jumping from 0 to driving speed several times and finally stopped all together. When it was would drop to zero, cruise would cut off somtimes and sometimes it would remain engaged. After I got home, while backing car up to park, speedo would go up to about 20 mph while in reverse and sitting still. If I go to drive, speedo goes to 0. Back in reverse, up to 20. If I put in reverse, back to 20, press the cruise button(On/Off), speedo goes to 0. Not sure what is going on now? Any ideas from the pros?

Barry
  • Hi. I changed the battery...the radio reads "Code." I have the original dealer cards (hurray!!) with the code and serial number. But when I enter the 5-digit code using the preset buttons, the radio does'nt seem to pay attention...just sits there reading "Code." How do I wake up the system ...it doesn't seem fair...I have the code!. Thanks
  • tallman1tallman1 Posts: 1,874
    Did you make a mistake and enter it more than once? I know that if you do, you have to wait some time (can't remember how long) before you enter it again. The owner's manual or the back of the card should give you instructions.
    See if this helps>
    http://www.carspace.com/guides/Honda-Radio-Codes

If the incorrect code was tried to many times you will need to do a reset. ( Disconnect the negative terminal for approximately 2 minutes)
    Enter corresponding code number corresponding reset button.