Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord (1994-1997) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Thanks! Battery-disconnect was exactly the fix. Thanks again.
  • Does anyone have a step-by-step procedure, or pictures, on how to replace the radiator in my 1995 Honda Accord?
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    I don't have a step by step, but it's not hard to change a radiator. Drain the radiator, disconnect the fan motor wires (plugs), disconnect hoses, remove the reserve tank, remove the radiator with the fans attached (easier to change the fans over while the radiator is out of the car), remove the fans from the old radiator, put the fans on the new radiator, then put the radiator in, reconnect hoses and wires for the fans. When refilling the radiator be sure to loosen the bleed bolt (should be under the thermostat), fill until coolant comes out of the bleed bolt, then tighten the bolt. Remove the radiator cap turn the heat all the way up, run the engine up to operating temperature, fill radiator, and reserve tank.
  • omarromarr Posts: 88
    Go to this site and download the 94 manual it will give you all the info you need.
    94 thru 97 are almost the same.

http://www.hondahookup.com/manuals/
  • bowie1bowie1 Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 Honda accord ex and when it is cold outside and the car is not really warm it gets stuck in park for a few minutes.

I know it is not the brake release. It has nothing to do with the key.

What I notice is that in the dash there is no gear position. None of the lights are lighted. I can hold in the shifter button and move it in and out of park but the light does not come on so I can not get the key out of the ignition.

Is there some type of gear position sensor?
  • I have noticed that my Accord has been using oil on long freeway
    drives (400 miles +)
    I seem to be low 1/2-1quart after a long freeway drive.
    I may also be losing oil on normal driving (but its probably less).
    I don't see any leaks when the car is parked. Not sure if its being
    burned or whats happening to it.
    Has anyone else experienced this on their Honda engine?
    Do those oil treatments help? Which ones would you recommend
    Could be the shift position switch (located beside the shifter in the center console), the transmission range switch (on the transmission), or the wires going to and from them. Personally, I would have the battery tested. Low battery power can cause communication problems between the control units. My dash indicators (PRND etc) would not light, and my A/C lights would not light, and the A/C would not blow cold air, at the same time. All caused by a weak battery. It's free to check the battery. To check the rest, you would need a service manual, and a multimeter.
  • I am amazed how bulletproof the GEN-5 Accord is.
    I have 260K and I beat the hell out my car. The only things I needed to replace was the Alternator @ 260K, Starter @ 220K and Radiator @ 170K and EGR valve @ 200K. Just wondering what other problem areas are popping up (to a significant degree) over 200K. Thanks
  • tallman1tallman1 Posts: 1,874
    I agree that the car is pretty amazing. I've had a few things that would be considered normal. The only recurring item was the clutch master cylinder. I've replaced two of those. The clutch itself lasted over 220k, which I found to be fantastic.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    All at different times:

- Radiator cracked near the top
    - Main Cooling Fan Motor failed
    - Brake Master Cylinder (brake fluid wasn't changed enough)
    - Rear Power Door Lock
    - Windshield Wiper Motor Clutch
    - Clogged A/C condenser drain caused water on pass. side floorboard

1996 Accord LX I4 Automatic, 185k miles
  • I have a 94 Accord DX, auto 4, seems to be having tranny trouble. This is the wifes beater, and I don't drive it much, but she does. Noticed when shifting primarily between 1st and 2nd gear, a bit of hesitation before engaging in gear, causing engine rev. Took to local dealer, not much of one, his lot has maybe 10 cars, but he is a certified honda dealer, and had the fluid changed, and flushed. Was able to drive this vehicle to this dealer for the service, he informed me that most likely would need new transmission. Went to pick up the vehicle from dealer, and now will not move at all. Dealer said " I guess it got worse while sitting here" Can this happen?!? Also will a tranny from a prelude work in an accord?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated, thanks
    If this was a "power" flush, it may have done more harm than good. Pushing the fluid through the transmission with force can push metal particles into small places, where it can get stuck, stopping flow all together. Many Honda techs I know advise against a "power" flush. It's better to just drain and fill three times. There are flush machines that use the transmission's own pump to circulate the fluid (no force). This would be the best way.
  • I am unsure if it was a power flush, the service manager said there was very little debris on the magnet in the drain plug.

Thanks for the response elroy!
  • my check engine light came on due to misfiring. found plug wire popped up from valve cover and oil pooled in plug recess. anyone know what caused this? this is happening on two or more cylinders. :confuse:
    Probably the o-rings under the rocker arm assembly. Here's a link describing the situation. There are other links too, if you want to do a search. Good luck
    http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/oilyplugs/index.html
  • my plug wire blew off due to internal pressure i think getting through the head or valvle cover. oil is pooled in the spark plug recess. this is happening on more than one plug so any clues?
  • omarromarr Posts: 88
    elroy5 gave you excellent information on what needs to be fixed, Go buy a valve cover gasket and FIX IT.
  • I have a Honda 1995 Accord LX. My Cruse Control is not working. Previously the light in the dash board used to light up but it never used to engage but now I have noticed the cruse control light in the dash does not come on. Any suggestion will be highly appreciated. Thanks
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Does the master switch (the button on the dash) light up green?
  • Yes the master switch light up green. as I have mentioned before the master and the cruse control used to light up but it never used to engage now only the master lights up.Thanks in advance for your input.